Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Anyone have any good advice for layering claps? I really like working with samples I make myself, and while I have little problem with drums and hats claps elude the hell out of me.

Try having one clap that acts as the body and one that's high passed a bit higher that acts as the sizzle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Imaginary Friend posted:

Also, is Soundcloud full of bots or something? It takes like one minute before someone random likes my crap.

Welcome to Spamcloud. The answer is yes.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Anyone have any good advice for layering claps? I really like working with samples I make myself, and while I have little problem with drums and hats claps elude the hell out of me.

There are two main characteristics that make a synthesized clap sound like a clap: Two parallel EQ peaks or even bandpasses in the mids/high mids that shape the character of the noise and a volume envelope with a few (2-4) fast stutters at the beginning to simulate quick multiple impacts (basically, your and your clapping buddies' skin flapping against the other hand).

To play around with the style of the clap, adjust the decay of the loudness curve, experiment with lead-in noise (pull back the track a few ms to ensure the impact lands where you want it), actually pull back the track even without lead-in, see how the clap sounds when it hits a little before the kick, etc.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Last month was DnB, this month I've needed more calm in my life, so I'm trying to learn UK Future Garage. Or whatever Burial falls under? This has been a difficult genre to pin down on Pandora and such. Anyway, I started writing this track trying to shamelessly ape some Future Garage mixes off Youtube and sort of got lost along the way. It seems like such simple music but writing it has been elusive for me.

Obviously, I'd love for feedback on this work in progress - https://soundcloud.com/gkchestertron/strap-tamper - though I know I drifted far afield of what I was going for. I'm trying to see what feels right in the track and what needs to go.

But if you only have a moment, and you're a fan/producer of UK Future Garage or tangential genres, I'd settle for an answer to this question: it seems like UKGF-type tracks have quietish, mostly subby basslines and rely more on the vibe of the drum and spooky vocals/high end stuff for the meat of the track. Am I off base on this? What is the "goal" of a UKGF bassline? Half the tracks I hear hardly even have one, it feels like.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Anal Surgery posted:

But if you only have a moment, and you're a fan/producer of UK Future Garage or tangential genres, I'd settle for an answer to this question: it seems like UKGF-type tracks have quietish, mostly subby basslines and rely more on the vibe of the drum and spooky vocals/high end stuff for the meat of the track. Am I off base on this? What is the "goal" of a UKGF bassline? Half the tracks I hear hardly even have one, it feels like.

I guess if you're listening to ambientish stuff, the bass is going to be more subtle, but usually bass is a huge part of UK garage, even Burial has some pretty heavy basslines. There's even a subgenre of UK garage called bassline house. I'd call the bassline the meat of most garage tracks.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Number Two Stunna posted:

I guess if you're listening to ambientish stuff, the bass is going to be more subtle, but usually bass is a huge part of UK garage, even Burial has some pretty heavy basslines. There's even a subgenre of UK garage called bassline house. I'd call the bassline the meat of most garage tracks.

Hmmm alright well maybe I fell into an ambient vortex on Youtube. I also always have a tough time writing basslines so that's probably why drums always stand out to me more. Whenever I think of Burial, in my head I always go to that funky clicky drum beat as opposed to the bass.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Anal Surgery posted:

Hmmm alright well maybe I fell into an ambient vortex on Youtube. I also always have a tough time writing basslines so that's probably why drums always stand out to me more. Whenever I think of Burial, in my head I always go to that funky clicky drum beat as opposed to the bass.

Not to discourage, but I will say that trying to emulate Burial is always, always going to end in disappointment. I'd pick someone else if you don't want to spend forever trying to work out what he does differently.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
A while ago, someone on SA gave a list of sounds, and said that it was a good exercise in sound design to produce as many of them as possible, each time starting with the init patch, with a basic piece of software like the synth1 VST. Stuff like "drop of water," "clap," etc. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? I think it was this thread. I don't want to just pick sounds at random, and then maybe it's impossible to make them and I'm just frustrating myself.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ejstheman posted:

A while ago, someone on SA gave a list of sounds, and said that it was a good exercise in sound design to produce as many of them as possible, each time starting with the init patch, with a basic piece of software like the synth1 VST. Stuff like "drop of water," "clap," etc. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? I think it was this thread. I don't want to just pick sounds at random, and then maybe it's impossible to make them and I'm just frustrating myself.
Sounds like this is the thread you're looking for.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Sounds like this is the thread you're looking for.

Thanks! I got that thread mixed up with this one in my memory, I guess.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
My favorite part of that exercise is that it helps you visualize (audiolize?) sounds in your head and then express them. You don't have to hear a sample drop of water to create one; you know what sound a force field makes, even if someone else has a different idea about it.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Dessert Rose posted:

My favorite part of that exercise is that it helps you visualize (audiolize?) sounds in your head and then express them. You don't have to hear a sample drop of water to create one; you know what sound a force field makes, even if someone else has a different idea about it.

It also gives sub-goals you can succeed at. It's hard to get started with this computer music thing, at least for me personally, because I know intellectually that everything that I make will suck, for a really long time*, but emotionally, I want some kind of success once in a while, or else I lose motivation. Also, I don't have to post my "drop of water" patch and ask people whether it sounds like a drop of water; I can just listen to it and see if it sounds that way to me. Which might be another way of saying the same thing you said. A friend of mine who's also just starting out with this came by the other day and we took turns at the computer, just messing around until we felt stuck, and then turning it over to the other guy. That sort of thing is also really helpful, I think.

*Obviously this is true with the arts in general, but I think that making music with computers, since it's basically composing music for a robot musician to play, doesn't necessarily require motor skills that are built only with long practice. It's easier to imagine that you're the special one who will sit down at the computer and immediately "get it," even though the adult part of your brain knows that isn't really going to happen.

Edit: I think the word is "auralize."

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 1, 2013

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Anae posted:

Not to discourage, but I will say that trying to emulate Burial is always, always going to end in disappointment. I'd pick someone else if you don't want to spend forever trying to work out what he does differently.

Haha no offense taken. I've already suffered from Trying-To-Mimic-Noisia Inadequacy Syndrome.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Here are two songs I've made recently, kind of hip hop inspired but ended up being more stand alone tracks.

This one is more upbeat, been trying to include more elements going at once to beef up the sond but maybe it's too crowded, i dunno. I think I kind of just lucked into finding the right key to match the synth bass line to the vocal sample I used: https://soundcloud.com/zmbeats/dis-stuff

this one is supposed to be more relaxed and spacey: https://soundcloud.com/zmbeats/m-o-o-n

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
I made some cheesy trance after having reasons to make really cheesy trance:

http://soundcloud.com/killhamster/adventure

I was also trying out Propellerhead's new synth, Parsec, which sounds gorgeous as all hell but is a little pricey. I'm on the fence, especially since I don't quite comprehend how it works.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

killhamster posted:

I made some cheesy trance after having reasons to make really cheesy trance:

http://soundcloud.com/killhamster/adventure

Your kicks are super loud, and given the sound the might benefit from a lowpass/EQing.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
I already knocked them down a bit already, I'll have another go at it once I get home from work this evening to try to rein them in.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
I don't know how but I put this together in a couple of hours.

https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/on-and-on/s-qGEbQ

I'm going to go in and work on the mix/compression/eqing in depth in a day or two likely.

e; Mixed it more: https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/on-and-on-1/s-3TTn4

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 5, 2013

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Anal Surgery posted:

I'm no expert on garage or Burial, but much of Burial's drum samples are samples of various things like wooden objects, silverware, etc. Lots of stuff that is sort-of percussive and "natural." It's also all un-quantized and off-beat for that natural swing his drums have (particularly the hihats, like most garage).

As for Burial's basslines, they're all very low and subby and it's good to keep in mind they're all very much resampled. His heavy use of resampling is what gives his basslines "that sound."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://soundcloud.com/stylereese/sex

This one came together surprisingly quickly - I'm creating a lot more really satisfying 'reese' kind of midbasses with my Virus now. Loads of FM, resonant bandpass filters and distortion.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Radio du Cambodge posted:

Here are two songs I've made recently, kind of hip hop inspired but ended up being more stand alone tracks.

This one is more upbeat, been trying to include more elements going at once to beef up the sond but maybe it's too crowded, i dunno. I think I kind of just lucked into finding the right key to match the synth bass line to the vocal sample I used: https://soundcloud.com/zmbeats/dis-stuff

this one is supposed to be more relaxed and spacey: https://soundcloud.com/zmbeats/m-o-o-n

I love the first one but I feel the synth bassline needs to be more in the mix and further to the left. The left channel has basically nothing in it, compared to the vocals which are fairly in the right channel so it feels off balance. The bassline also lacks a bit of meat, which is why i'd suggest making it a bit louder and maybe adding some subtle reverb.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I've been making some old-schoolish techno/house recently, and i was wondering if I could get some criticism, especially with regard to arrangement (which I'm not super good at!). I put these together earlier today, they're based on a lot of the same sounds.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

I've been making some old-schoolish techno/house recently, and i was wondering if I could get some criticism, especially with regard to arrangement (which I'm not super good at!). I put these together earlier today, they're based on a lot of the same sounds.

Really old-school, I love it. I don't really see any problem with it. You could try and separate the bass elements a bit more, and sidechain the hell out of the sub if you must. Also, I think you could try and eq all the elements one by one and isolate the frequencies you want, just to help you with the mix. Regarding the arrangement in general, I think it's alright and overall it sounds quite good.

I'm not an expert, obviously, and I don't know much about house/tech production anyway. But I would totally mix this kind of stuff with fidget house and garage stuff, that would make for lovely transitions.

Anyway, where are we supposed to share our trap/chill/downtempo shenanigans? Will people in the hip-hop thread make fun of me if I show them 140BPM stuff mixed with ambient ? I've been working on some as of late, and I've never felt so inspired. Made this one in a day : https://soundcloud.com/liddell/colette-poulpo-wip
I'm really enjoying working with samples from all over the place, filters and drums I would have never used in hip-hop beats. There are a couple hiccups (the reverb disappeared from a couple of snares at the end, and some synths are not perfect), and it's unmixed and unmastered, but I'm really happy with the result. Criticism is welcome, of course. I'd love some feedback from you pros.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Can tell that you're learning but you've got some really good ideas for arrangement in there and these songs are tight. Definitely drawing some inspiration from these.

Latest news for me is this bootleg I made in a couple of hours last night / this morning:

https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/emeli-sand-heaven-swan-connley

And this track that I pumped out a week or so ago, I'm just trying to work on really getting my style down.

https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/on-and-on

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I love the first one but I feel the synth bassline needs to be more in the mix and further to the left. The left channel has basically nothing in it, compared to the vocals which are fairly in the right channel so it feels off balance. The bassline also lacks a bit of meat, which is why i'd suggest making it a bit louder and maybe adding some subtle reverb.

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah i see what you mean about the unbalanced left vs right and the bassline. I usually end up going through and kind of haphazardly setting the stereo position of all the elements of a track like right before I mix it down so probably that's why it's sloppy like that..

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Does anyone know how to make those weird strings from Extreme Ways? (the end credit theme from the Jason Bourne movies)

I really like those strings and want to try some things with them, but I don't know how to make them.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
I know nothing about synths right now but I'm trying to learn. What's used in the opening of this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DDPwgcixys

It sounds kind of nasally and resonant and I'd love to jack this sound for a song I'm working on now

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It sounds like the electronic organ my grandparents had in their basement when I was growing up. :v:

(I think it's just some layered sine waves with a slowish attack)

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Hey how come this thread is so quiet :(

There's nothing more fun to compose than goa trance. You can just layer poo poo and fool around with arps almost at completely random and it'll still sound like it should. :catdrugs:
http://soundcloud.com/john-peeba/john_peeba-so_space

Maybe I should've gone with a more traditional falling sine zap kick drum.. What do you think?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

j.peeba posted:

Hey how come this thread is so quiet :(

There's nothing more fun to compose than goa trance. You can just layer poo poo and fool around with arps almost at completely random and it'll still sound like it should. :catdrugs:
http://soundcloud.com/john-peeba/john_peeba-so_space

Maybe I should've gone with a more traditional falling sine zap kick drum.. What do you think?

I liked it. I don't know anything about goa trance but that kick sounded just fine to me.

I've been trying to wrangle this song and it just isn't quite working for me for some reason. I have trouble finding the sweet spot between monotonous and too much variation, tending to lean toward the latter the longer a session gets as I hear the same sounds over and over. https://soundcloud.com/sutehx/corrode/s-ovC9A

I don't know if I'm going to do anything with this one but wouldn't mind some feedback anyway.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
^the parts in the melody where its faster hitting notes like 1:25 are better than the parts where its more spaced. Add in some flare with your kicks in some parts like with little bursts maybe? Don't worry about the repetition of stuff throughout the song its at a good level of variation currently.

I'm trying to make a techno song kinda similar to what Boddika makes. I was thinking that maybe at 1:32 where I bring in the main melody that maybe I shouldn't have a full melody because this is techno? Also I tried to make the drums just odd and jumpy but also still like cohesive and repetitive. I need to figure out how to make little accentuating synth/samples that go over the song and have a little presence but don't really interfere with the main melody. Any comments would be cool!

https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/testno/s-WeIPX

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Blowdryer posted:

^the parts in the melody where its faster hitting notes like 1:25 are better than the parts where its more spaced. Add in some flare with your kicks in some parts like with little bursts maybe? Don't worry about the repetition of stuff throughout the song its at a good level of variation currently.

I'm trying to make a techno song kinda similar to what Boddika makes. I was thinking that maybe at 1:32 where I bring in the main melody that maybe I shouldn't have a full melody because this is techno? Also I tried to make the drums just odd and jumpy but also still like cohesive and repetitive. I need to figure out how to make little accentuating synth/samples that go over the song and have a little presence but don't really interfere with the main melody. Any comments would be cool!

https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/testno/s-WeIPX

Thanks for the feedback! I initially had the melody going every bar but got paranoid I wasn't letting the track breathe.

I like the melody in there and if that makes it less techno someone should call Moodymann immediately and tell him to cut it the gently caress out. For incidentals, it sounds like something new already comes in around 2:20 that sort of follows the main melody. Maybe that could be that for you if it were more prominent in the mix and high passed.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
J.peeba - personally I don't really like the traditional goa kick so I like what you have done here a lot more. Maybe I'm crazy but I would be curious what this sounds like at 125-128 bpm :).

Faded Reality - Do you have everything pushed back in the mix with reverb? I wonder if bringing a few things forward might improve the sound a bit.

Blowdryer - I'm not that familiar with this kind of techno but to me it sounds bit more like house with kind of a two-step vibe?

Here is something a friend and I did for an IDMforums comp that was just released. I usually make techno so not sure what exactly the genre is here, but I think it has kind of a techno/industrial vibe.

https://soundcloud.com/idmforums-collective/5-ttinga-dead-end-dance?in=idmforums-collective/sets/idmf042-va-metaphase.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Lump Shaker posted:

not sure what exactly the genre is here[/url]

is "really loving good" a genre?

e: what about "holy gently caress"?

e2: I think I'm trying to say I really really like it

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 19, 2013

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
Perfectly fine with it being 2 step house haha, I just said techno because I was trying to go for a darker sound but I don't know how to do all the ambient sounds and random hits for techno so I'm stuck with making my swingy drums and chord melodies.

I made a different version where I took out the melody and reinforced the 2steppyness of it.

e:snip see next page

Ttinga your tracks very low energy but awesome. Sounds like a scene in a movie where the dudes just got all suited up and are going to sneak into the secret base and kill some dudes.

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 19, 2013

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Lump Shaker posted:

J.peeba - personally I don't really like the traditional goa kick so I like what you have done here a lot more. Maybe I'm crazy but I would be curious what this sounds like at 125-128 bpm :).

Faded Reality - Do you have everything pushed back in the mix with reverb? I wonder if bringing a few things forward might improve the sound a bit.

Blowdryer - I'm not that familiar with this kind of techno but to me it sounds bit more like house with kind of a two-step vibe?

Here is something a friend and I did for an IDMforums comp that was just released. I usually make techno so not sure what exactly the genre is here, but I think it has kind of a techno/industrial vibe.

https://soundcloud.com/idmforums-collective/5-ttinga-dead-end-dance?in=idmforums-collective/sets/idmf042-va-metaphase.

This loving rules man congrats. I used to read that forum a couple of years ago before the studio section devolved into "how do I aphex twin/deadmaus". The compilations are consistently great though!

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I'm trying to figure out my "sound", can anyone give me some thoughts?

Here's a loop I whipped up yesterday: https://soundcloud.com/seesub-1/123-1/s-6Om1s

I am trying to go for something dancey, bordering between house and techno, think along the lines of Moodymann or Shake

I feel like my mix might be too thick, for one. I also feel like the sound comes off as a little too "loungy" and maybe I should use a stabbier pad. I also don't have any samples in this particular clip, just sequenced instruments.

Am I using too many instruments simultaneously? Or it could be the highest energy part of the track.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's very much appreciated.

Swan - I like that newest version of the song you posted. Your house tracks are really intricately programmed - would love to hear more of your take on techno:).

Seesub - to me it loses a bit of energy because it doesn't have a really consistent kick. Is there a kick on the 2 and 4 beats? Also, the sub bass is hitting on the same beat as the kick, which might be stealing some of its energy. You could try fixing with EQ, sidechain, a different pattern with the sub, or maybe even a slower attack on the sub. Also, the whole track sounds a bit muted, like the top end is being rolled off a bit? But those are just mixing issues, I really like the synth parts you wrote.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Lump Shaker posted:

Seesub - to me it loses a bit of energy because it doesn't have a really consistent kick. Is there a kick on the 2 and 4 beats? Also, the sub bass is hitting on the same beat as the kick, which might be stealing some of its energy. You could try fixing with EQ, sidechain, a different pattern with the sub, or maybe even a slower attack on the sub. Also, the whole track sounds a bit muted, like the top end is being rolled off a bit? But those are just mixing issues, I really like the synth parts you wrote.

Thanks... yeah, there's a kick on 2 and 4, it's just lower so the track grooves a bit. Must be too low :) I did sidechain, I had it cutting more drastically but felt this sounded better... I'll adjust it a bit more. I agree with you on the highs.

What genre would you classify it as? Not like it really matters personally -- my opinion is generally "gently caress genre, make what sounds good".

edit: replaced it with a slightly remixed version taking your advice into account

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Hey, thanks for the comments folks! Maybe later today I'll have to try what would it sound like if I were to drop the bpm to 125 since downtempo goa is actually a thing. :)

ashgromnies posted:

I'm trying to figure out my "sound", can anyone give me some thoughts?

Here's a loop I whipped up yesterday: https://soundcloud.com/seesub-1/123-1/s-6Om1s

I am trying to go for something dancey, bordering between house and techno, think along the lines of Moodymann or Shake

I feel like my mix might be too thick, for one. I also feel like the sound comes off as a little too "loungy" and maybe I should use a stabbier pad. I also don't have any samples in this particular clip, just sequenced instruments.

Am I using too many instruments simultaneously? Or it could be the highest energy part of the track.
Overall, I like the vibe of this track and I think you're heading to a good direction but yeah, the mix feels a little thick and bottom heavy. The kick feels kinda loud to me and seems like some sounds could use with a little bit more crisp on top, like with the hats that are panned to the left. I also think the kinda woody, analogue sounding percussion thing could be sharpened a little so it wouldn't drown in the bass. But the thing here that I think would actually be most beneficial, at least in my ears, would be to add some more stereo spread to the sounds, especially on the pad. Just a tiny bit of spread too (or maybe a lil' reverb or something) on the hats and some of the leads to even out the very "panned" feeling could also be good but you might not wanna go overboard with that one.

I think the smoother pad is fine. It's on the background here and making it stabbier might make it compete for attention with the leads. And I'm completely fine with the amount of instruments too but you might not wanna listen to me on that point since hey, I just posted a goa track :haw:

• Locked thread