Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone able to recommend some android apps for ICU nurses? Heading to the unit in a week after a year on med-surg.

Epocrates (this goes for all nurses everywhere).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inab
Oct 9, 2010
I'm an older student taking pre-requisite classes for entry into a bachelor's degree nursing program. I'm taking the last bunch of classes I need this semester: anatomy, physiology, bacteriology, and nutrition. I'm more than capable of doing well in the classes, but my concern is that I might not be pursuing a career suitable for me. I'm a vet and know all too well how to do teamwork, but I much prefer to study and work by myself, which seems to be the opposite of what the rest of the 400+ pre-nursing students in my program are doing. I'm pursuing nursing for the security and practicality of the field, but if I don't much like teamwork, is this not really a good choice for me?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Inab posted:

I'm pursuing nursing for the security and practicality of the field, but if I don't much like teamwork, is this not really a good choice for me?

I was an older student in an accelerated BSN program. I did well and didn't go to any of the study group sessions or participate in any team activities unless it was strictly required. On the job however, you will need to rely on your team to help you out if you get overwhelmed (which can happen easily sometimes).

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Inab posted:

I'm an older student taking pre-requisite classes for entry into a bachelor's degree nursing program. I'm taking the last bunch of classes I need this semester: anatomy, physiology, bacteriology, and nutrition. I'm more than capable of doing well in the classes, but my concern is that I might not be pursuing a career suitable for me. I'm a vet and know all too well how to do teamwork, but I much prefer to study and work by myself, which seems to be the opposite of what the rest of the 400+ pre-nursing students in my program are doing. I'm pursuing nursing for the security and practicality of the field, but if I don't much like teamwork, is this not really a good choice for me?

I will say team work is a pretty big aspect for nursing. Might be able to get away without in school but I feel that it is really important when you're out in the work place. There will be time were you are behind you really need to ask for help or be willing to help out your coworkers.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

Inab posted:

I'm pursuing nursing for the security and practicality of the field, but if I don't much like teamwork, is this not really a good choice for me?

First of all, I would recommend that you shadow some nurses in different areas to see what is like to be a nurse. Second, nursing goes in cycles and right now nursing is not a secure field. Hospitals are shedding nurses and positions and its incredibly difficult to get hired as a new graduate nurse without professional connections.
You may be able to go on and get a PhD in nursing and work predominately in research, but you are going to need to work with other people along the way. In bedside nursing, you very much depend on team work. You have to delegate responsibilities and communicate with other nurses and doctors to ensure your patients are adequately cared for.
I can't tell you whether or not nursing is a good choice for you, but you definitely need to research it more.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Inab posted:

I have to agree with Fromage. There is a pretty significant burnout rate in the nursing field because many people get into it for the job security and the three day work week without realizing that it is a very physically/mentally/emotionally demanding and stressful job that you need to absolutely love or it will suck the life out of you.

I recommend reading some of the stories in this thread, especially some of Elise The Great's posts towards the end, and if that still sounds like something you're passionate about doing, then definitely try to shadow a nurse for a few days before signing up for nursing school.

If you decide that you really just want a secure, well paying job, then become a plumber. Less schooling, ALWAYS in demand everywhere, and the reality is you probably deal with less poop (or you at least don't have to deal with it as it is erupting violently from a c. dif. patient).

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Deleted

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 8, 2015

pancreatic cancer
Jul 27, 2010

Inab posted:

I currently work in addictions and am currently on the clock with 16 residents (hopefully) peacefully sleeping and no other employees but me around for 4 more hours. So I would say you can find your introvert dream job in nursing, but it might not involve shoving tubes up various holes and getting yelled at by doctors or whatever the nursing ideal seems to be. My job is pretty easy and sometimes pretty drat rewarding but its definitely not what people tend to think of first when I tell them I'm a nurse.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Nursing Megathread: Shoving tubes up various holes and getting yelled at by doctors

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Roki B posted:

Nursing Megathread: Shoving tubes up various holes and getting yelled at by doctors

I feel like I raise my voice with/get more angry at doctors than they do at me. Maybe it's because my unit is mostly residents

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

So I'm genuinely enjoying nursing school and quite contentedly keeping my head above water. I'm also starting to consider my options concerning achieving a master's degree. I already have a B.S. degree in Health Promotion, I'm about 1/4 of the way to a B.S.N. and I'm hoping to go take some time off to work before applying to a CNM program. I'm really seriously looking at Frontier right now as I know someone who got her CNM through them and really enjoyed it. Do any of you have any experience with Frontier or their programs? It's gonna be pretty hard to turn down the chance to get my CNM degree online and maybe my DNP too if I can afford the extra year/$10k.

I am waiting to find out if I am accepted to the FNP program at Frontier. A co-worker graduated last year from their CNM program and really recommended it. She worked full time, nights for all but the last semester. She is going to go back for her doctorate, as they didn't have the direct to doctorate program yet. I'm excited but nervous about it.

It is also much cheaper than any other online program I've found.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
I have sent in my application for the RN-BSN program at the University of Wyoming. They are substantially cheaper than any other program that I have found at $158 a credit hour.

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse
I've been watching some videos of presentations from a crit care conference that was held at the in Queensland Australia a few weeks earlier (SMACC)
There was an awesome presentation given by a retrieval doc about clinical courage that all clinicians should see.

I've been switching between emergency and icu in a major Sydney metro trauma centre for about 3 years now and I gotta say I freakin love my job. It's not easy but the stuff you see and people you meet and work with can be mindblowing. There's certainly a lot of shoving tubes in holes but not that much yelling even when things hit the proverbial.

Nursing's a lot more piss, poo poo, blood and paperwork.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

LoveMeDead posted:

I am waiting to find out if I am accepted to the FNP program at Frontier. A co-worker graduated last year from their CNM program and really recommended it. She worked full time, nights for all but the last semester. She is going to go back for her doctorate, as they didn't have the direct to doctorate program yet. I'm excited but nervous about it.

It is also much cheaper than any other online program I've found.

Right now the idea popping around in my head is to wait until I'm ready for kids to start the frontier program. Then I can multi-task studying at Frontier and baby raising. I spoke with my new Aunt who's a CNM and she said Frontier is old and well-respected so that's another bonus point for Frontier. I hope I'll be able to get in.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I have two questions for you nurse-goons, both related to MY WIFE graduating with an ADN next month. I've perused the thread a bit but haven't seen anything that directly addresses them so I apologize in advance if they wind up being redundant.

1.) What are some good gifts for a graduate nurse? Are there some things that are really nice to have unreasonably expensive versions of? She always complains about how poo poo her stethoscope is etc. I could do maybe $500 for something if there was value and it was something she would have for a long time.

2.) We're not daft enough to think that she will get an ICU position in our area with an ADN as a GN (although she has applied for a ton of them.) She has really enjoyed her shifts in ICU, but her long term goal is CRNA or maybe FNP. She's already applied for a ton of RN-BSN programs, so hopefully one of those pans out. However, do you think it would be better to take an ICU position in a less ideal location and then try and transfer after a year, or to do a nurse-residency in something less ideal like acute care and try to transfer departments? Of course we're open to any other ideas or guidance you might have to offer.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

TehSaurus posted:

I have two questions for you nurse-goons, both related to MY WIFE graduating with an ADN next month. I've perused the thread a bit but haven't seen anything that directly addresses them so I apologize in advance if they wind up being redundant.

1.) What are some good gifts for a graduate nurse? Are there some things that are really nice to have unreasonably expensive versions of? She always complains about how poo poo her stethoscope is etc. I could do maybe $500 for something if there was value and it was something she would have for a long time.

2.) We're not daft enough to think that she will get an ICU position in our area with an ADN as a GN (although she has applied for a ton of them.) She has really enjoyed her shifts in ICU, but her long term goal is CRNA or maybe FNP. She's already applied for a ton of RN-BSN programs, so hopefully one of those pans out. However, do you think it would be better to take an ICU position in a less ideal location and then try and transfer after a year, or to do a nurse-residency in something less ideal like acute care and try to transfer departments? Of course we're open to any other ideas or guidance you might have to offer.

Buy her a good stethoscope. That and shoes are the two things I spend money on. I have the Littman Master Cardiology and love it. It comes in pretty colors too. Gift cards to uniform shops are also a good gift. Also regular manicures and hand lotion. :) I've probably spent more money per year on hand lotion than anything else.

I suggest a medical floor for a year or so for new nurses. It's going to give her experience with a wide variety of patients. She'll get time to get better at basic nursing skills and be able to practice assessment with non-critical patients. If she wants to become a CRNA, she will need to have several years in critical care before even applying. If there was a hospital she liked having clinical at, she should apply there. She should also examine whether she would like working in a large hospital that will have more equipment and stuff to play with, will have more resources, but she will be more nameless to administration (which may not be a bad thing). Or work in a smaller hospital that may not have as many resources, but will be a more close knit group.

I work in a tiny hospital and love it, but I know a lot of nurses that love working at giant hospitals.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TehSaurus posted:

1. A good stethoscope or some really good shoes would have been my ideal graduation gifts, preferably the scope, especially if you're looking to make it last a long time and go for something really nice. Maybe some really nice liquors or wines if she's into that. Barring that, a membership at a massage place.

2. Work wherever she had a good clinical experience. If she can get on a step-down or cardiology unit or a unit that works closely with the type of ICU she wants, that'd be good too. (For instance, my Medical ICU shares a very similar patient population with the oncology floors, so if she wanted the MICU, an oncology floor would be a good start. If she wanted a surgical ICU, then a surgery stepdown would also be good). I know people recommend working on a medical floor first, but if she gets an ICU job offer and that's what she wants, I think she should take it. (Disclaimer: the job market for new RNs is terrible where I am, so people I know are jumping at every job offer they get. This may bias me a little).

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
You should be able to swing a nice stethoscope for well under $500. On the lower end of a "nice" scope you could look at something like this or this, and I'd advise you to use the Cardiology III as the upper limit. Insofar as there are stethoscope trends, the Cardio III is probably the most well known "nice" scope, which could work for a gift. At the same time, plenty of nurses (and paramedics, and doctors) get by with something simpler and cheaper, and stethoscopes do get lost, so use your best judgement.

Of more relevance to the whole gift idea, though, may be the option to get it engraved.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

LoveMeDead posted:

I suggest a medical floor for a year or so for new nurses.

This is entirely unnecessary for a multitude of new nurses and suggesting it will build basic nursing skills is skirting the fact that ICU will too. The myth that you have to 'do your time' on a medsurg floor is pervasive but nothing more than a relic from a bygone era.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Roki B posted:

This is entirely unnecessary for a multitude of new nurses and suggesting it will build basic nursing skills is skirting the fact that ICU will too. The myth that you have to 'do your time' on a medsurg floor is pervasive but nothing more than a relic from a bygone era.

I disagree with this completely.

As a new grad I worked in general float pool for almost two years before going to ICU. I had experience with oncology, hospice, mental health, neuro, ortho, gyn/urology, med/surg, and rehab, and all that experience still made the transfer from ICU feel like I was starting at square one. ICU is just so different than non critical units, and the amount of new information and new skills you learn is incredible. It's an entirely different way of nursing, and you have to have some solid experience and a good level of comfort being a nurse before you enter the world of critical care nursing.

Many hospitals won't put new grads in that position because there's a good chance it would be setting them up for failure. It's much easier to work in a non-critical setting and become familiar with the hospital and the routine and the doctors and the flow of things as a new grad before considering transferring to ICU. Our hospital hired some new grads into ICU when they were in a pinch and none of them ended up completing orientation. Going to ICU is tough, it's better to have a good foundation to build upon.

TehSaurus With the job market the way it is, your wife should take whatever position she gets. I don't think new grad programs are necessary, but at least have her continue to apply for positions on non-critical units. If she really wants to end up in ICU then she will, but there's no need to rush in there and risk her being completely overwhelmed. Starting a new job as a new nurse is hard enough, there's no need to make it even harder by starting in ICU.

Also, you could look at a gift card to a uniform/supply store or Amazon.com? Some hospitals give nurses a uniform allowance and some do not, either way she could choose some new uniforms or pick up her own choosing of a stethoscope and whatnot (if gift cards aren't too impersonal for you).

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Thank you all so much for the feedback. The stethoscope recommendation is great and altogether less expensive than I might have thought. She already has really high quality shoes, but the recommendations for uniforms and massage are also great.

The feedback on jobs is really great too. As I said I don't expect that she'll get into an ICU straight away, but if she does there won't be anything I or you can say to dissuade her. One thing she has been concerned about is getting stuck in a particular role, say medsurg, and being unable to transfer. Like a typecast actor or something, but it sounds like the experience here is that transferring after a year or two is not usually a problem.

We'll keep all of your feedback in mind as we evaluate our options. Thanks again.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Koivunen posted:

all that experience still made the transfer from ICU feel like I was starting at square one.
Which us why I'm backing my boy Roki and disagreeing with you entirely. I'm a firm believer that being an ICU nurse isn't something any amount of floor experience will prepare you for. Floor nurses are overworked over stressed and inundated with charting with no chance to go into the detail nor the need to or the capability to(monitors etc..) I believe the best path for an ICU nurse is to go into fresh from school with a nice malleable brain still full of the fancy book learnin' and pathophys from school all ready to be nicely reinforced by a good preceptorship program.

Not to mention not everyone is cut out for the ICU it's better to find that out early. There's no certain set of attributes that make one a great nurse but the field of nursing is very very broad and you do have to have certain attributes to be a great nurse in a specific field. The worlds greatest oncology nurse might be absolute poo poo in the ICU and the worlds greatest ICU nurse might be poo poo in oncology. If you think you want to go ICU go try it early that way you can reevaluate your career plans early if it isn't for you.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 12, 2013

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Bum the Sad posted:

I believe the best path for an ICU nurse is to go into fresh from school with a nice malleable brain still full of the fancy book learnin' and pathophys from school all ready to be nicely reinforced by a good preceptorship program.

While you make some really valid points, I still disagree, because I'm stubborn. One thing that's nice about working as a floor nurse first is that you get all the stupid basic stuff under your belt so you don't have to worry about learning routine things before you transfer to ICU. When you first start at a new job one of the most stressful things is having to get familiar with the doctors, learning basic stuff like how the charting system works (huge), important phone numbers, frequently used hospital policies and order sets, and how to do dumb stuff like enter your own orders or how to send something to lab or how to check your MAR or where to find things and who to call when you can't find things. Stuff you can never learn in nursing school because it varies so widely from hospital to hospital. Basic stuff like this can be overwhelming enough, and it's easier to be comfortable with all that stuff before taking on additional learning that comes with ICU orientation.

If you've got all the hospital-specific basics under your belt, it's a lot less to worry about, and you can put more brain power towards learning ICU-specific things. You can focus on how to identify rhythm changes instead of how to print a label for your urine sample, for example. You'd get a lot more out of your ICU orientation if you don't have to worry about the basics.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
I'm still in my first semester of NS, so anything can go. But I've been wondering about the ED. Is that as unforgiving to new nurses as ICU would be? So far, all I know is I don't want to be in Peds (too sad when they go downhill) or in Psych (talking and seemingly not much else is exhausting).

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Lava Lamp posted:

I'm still in my first semester of NS, so anything can go. But I've been wondering about the ED. Is that as unforgiving to new nurses as ICU would be? So far, all I know is I don't want to be in Peds (too sad when they go downhill) or in Psych (talking and seemingly not much else is exhausting).

ED, ICU, psych, and peds are specialty units. You can find a job elsewhere if you are still searching for something to do when you graduate, and if you want to go to ED in the future, getting some experience under your belt never hurts. If you could find a place that offers float positions to new grads, apply for that for sure. In ED you can see everything, and it's nice to have a wide variety of experience before you go to ED.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Alternatively, you can do what multitudes have done and go right into your specialty as a new grad. Some people may require general nursing to get a solid career footing. However, for many many nurses going right into a specialty from day one is challenging and rewarding. Direct specialty also won't kill your enthusiasm for the job by making you do something that doesn't mesh with your abilities and desires. I've done it, I've seen plenty of others do it too. Floating is all well and good but wherever you are you'll want to be there for a few months before you go venturing off into a new area all by your onesie.

Most of all, look around for what interests you the most and then work directly towards it.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Koivunen posted:

If you could find a place that offers float positions to new grads, apply for that for sure.

Seconding this, but not from personal experience. I have several friends who ended up on our NRT (float between units day to day) and they love it. Especially as our Emerg has the most sick calls and under-staffing so they end up there most often! However, you also run the risk of ending up on a unit that you aren't so fond of - at my hospital it's medicine (for good reason). As for myself, I was hired to the unit of my final consolidation (Ortho) and have been happy here since.

Giant Wallet
Jan 1, 2010

Bum the Sad posted:

I believe the best path for an ICU nurse is to go into fresh from school with a nice malleable brain still full of the fancy book learnin' and pathophys from school all ready to be nicely reinforced by a good preceptorship program.

Not to mention not everyone is cut out for the ICU it's better to find that out early...If you think you want to go ICU go try it early that way you can reevaluate your career plans early if it isn't for you.

This. THIS THIS THIS. Except replace ICU with ED and this has been my (limited) experience.

I was a new grad who lucked out and got a job in ED, I've been there 14 months now and I'm loving the hell out of my specialty. I knew I wanted ED, I precepted in ED, but THE ECONOMY so I would've taken any position I could get. I just got lucky. I don't think I would've been as happy starting off in another unit but I work with several other people who started off as med/surg or tele nurses and at 6 months immediately made themselves known to the ED director for an in-house transfer.

I understand the whole "getting a little experience before moving on" thing but honestly knowing what I know now I think starting on another floor wouldn't have helped me that much. Unless I started in ICU, maybe. You're going to learn all the basic boring stuff anywhere (charting, hard sticks, dealing with difficult doctors), you may as well learn it where you ultimately plan on applying it. It's probably just a matter of how people learn, though. Some people probably feel more confident honing their skills on unit then moving where they plan on staying.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
My patient tonight is reminding me why I'm not in Geriatric Psych. She has dementiaand also pneumonia and renal failure. She has pulled off her venti mask, her Tele leads, her pulse oximeter, the stat lock for her foley, thrown pillows chewed through iv tubing, scratched another nurse so hard that she bled and was sent to the er, and called me so many foul names because I won't let her leave to feed her horses. I sound like I'm dealing with a toddler and I hate that. I want to give her more dignity than that. Dignity and Valium.

Edit: Going straight into your speciality isn't a bad idea in a larger hospital. Our hospital only has two beds and one CCU nurse per shift. The ED and med nurses help us a lot. I couldn't imagine being a new grad and basically being on your own.

LoveMeDead fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 27, 2013

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What? Our ICU is split into three 6-bed pods and we are completely not allowed to staff only two beds in each pod because that means there's only one nurse there per pod. If, for some reason, we only had two patients in our entire unit, we'd still staff two nurses (assuming we couldn't cart them off to another ICU or something). Is this aprt of another unit? Are there other nurses nearby to help turn, bathe, or whatever? Because I can't imagine being on my own regardless of how experienced I am; that just seems unsafe.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
It's basically a large room on the medical floor. I can see the nurses desk from my desk, and my call lights ring to their desk as well. There is always help nearby.

But the medical nurses aren't trained in critical care. We have the same director as the ED, so the ED nurses can come help too.

There are 21 medical beds, 2 CCU, 2 OB, and 8 ED beds in the entire hospital. It's a tiny place.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LoveMeDead posted:

It's basically a large room on the medical floor. I can see the nurses desk from my desk, and my call lights ring to their desk as well. There is always help nearby.

But the medical nurses aren't trained in critical care. We have the same director as the ED, so the ED nurses can come help too.

There are 21 medical beds, 2 CCU, 2 OB, and 8 ED beds in the entire hospital. It's a tiny place.
What part of the country? I think I'd enjoy working in a place like that. I worked med-surg for two years and now I've transitioned into the ICU at a trauma center. Ideally I can work here and get my knowledge up for a few more years then start traveling to rural hospitals.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

What part of the country? I think I'd enjoy working in a place like that. I worked med-surg for two years and now I've transitioned into the ICU at a trauma center. Ideally I can work here and get my knowledge up for a few more years then start traveling to rural hospitals.

I'm in rural Tennessee. I lived outside Chicago most of my life, so it's been a transition.

Our CCU does not take very critical patients, and there is a lot of babysitting patients who barely qualify to be in there. Overall, I love it here though.

I'm (hopefully) starting a FNP program in February, so I really like that I'm never on call and have a set schedule. I also work nights, and my director is fine with me studying when it's slow. It's a cushy nursing job, really.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

LoveMeDead posted:

My patient tonight is reminding me why I'm not in Geriatric Psych. She has dementiaand also pneumonia and renal failure. She has pulled off her venti mask, her Tele leads, her pulse oximeter, the stat lock for her foley, thrown pillows chewed through iv tubing, scratched another nurse so hard that she bled and was sent to the er, and called me so many foul names because I won't let her leave to feed her horses. I sound like I'm dealing with a toddler and I hate that. I want to give her more dignity than that. Dignity and Valium.

Edit: Going straight into your speciality isn't a bad idea in a larger hospital. Our hospital only has two beds and one CCU nurse per shift. The ED and med nurses help us a lot. I couldn't imagine being a new grad and basically being on your own.

Geri psych was pretty awful, mostly because it gets depressing fast. Acute psych here became pretty frequently full of geri patients with no where else to go and that was super annoying because the units were not designed for wandering behaviours so we had people in low-stim/seclusion. gently caress that job.

My job with public health can be pretty meh but I am glad for every day i'm not back in the hospital.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

TehSaurus posted:

We're not daft enough to think that she will get an ICU position in our area...

Just start in the the ICU if you are offered a position there. I started in the ICU straight from an ABSN program. We run a similar setup with 3 different pods/28 beds.

The orientation was 12 weeks and taught me everything I needed to know to get started. That said, my hospital does require that nurses have their BSN within 5 years, but they will also help you pay for it.

The idea that you need to "put in a year" on a MS floor is as relevant as saying that you need to get into a corporation in the mailroom and work your way to the CEO.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Who worked the holidays?

Anyone get their extra holiday pay deducted from PTO? (I used to at another facility)

Why people so cray on Xmas eve?

We had a fatality auto v. ped right in front of the ED xmas eve. Vegas continues to live up to its reputation of 'most dangerous city for people not in a roll cage'.

I'm so stoked to work the 31st in Las Vegas. I can give praise and thanks to Chaos, Alcohol, and Hubris. To my colleagues in the Emergency Department, Godspeed. :cheers:

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
I was there Christmas Eve and Christmas Day on night shift. It was pretty nice, no one died. No stubborn old men ignored their chest pain until they collapsed at the table and had to get a balloon pump or VAD this year. We had 20 patients in house (out of 58 beds), and the worst thing that happened was the lady with wacky intermittent AV dissociation.

Of course, the guy we sent over to our big sister hospital Christmas Eve passed away over there. So it goes.

babyturnsblue
Jun 14, 2007

i used to dance before the discos came
Is the school you attend for nursing important when eventually finding a job? I'm asking, because there are some well-known universities that have nursing programs as well as community colleges. I know how important that can be for other majors, but is it a factor in nursing? I live in Chicago, and local community colleges offer the program at a really reasonable rate, but I was looking at Loyola that costs nearly $50,000 for the accelerated BSN program. Would having a Loyola nursing degree really give you any sort of advantage in the job market?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

babyturnsblue posted:

Is the school you attend for nursing important when eventually finding a job? I'm asking, because there are some well-known universities that have nursing programs as well as community colleges. I know how important that can be for other majors, but is it a factor in nursing? I live in Chicago, and local community colleges offer the program at a really reasonable rate, but I was looking at Loyola that costs nearly $50,000 for the accelerated BSN program. Would having a Loyola nursing degree really give you any sort of advantage in the job market?

My advice would be to go to an accredited school that is the most convenient and most affordable. I graduated from a community college program last year, probably the worst out of the 4 schools in the area. In my opinion, the most important factor in landing that first job is networking. Try to get a job at the hospital while you're in school, ideally as a patient tech, which is what I did. My floor manager gave me an RN position the day I passed the NCLEX. A lot of my classmates who had zero hospital connections went MONTHS looking for that first job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

babyturnsblue posted:

It would matter more if you apply outside of the Chicago area, since they're not going to know anything about the quality of your program outside of the name of the university. In the Chicago area, every hospital is going to know the relative strengths of the nursing schools so honestly, if there are well-recommended community colleges in the area, they might prefer that to Loyola. Anecdotally, in the Pittsburgh area, it seems like there are community colleges that are preferred over the University of Pittsburgh in hiring, especially for ICU positions. (Pitt not having a critical care rotation in the accelerated program and only offering critical care as an elective for the 4 year program may have something to do with this.) If you can get a PCT job, ideally on the unit you want to work for, you're going to be much better off than if you went to Loyola when it comes to hiring. On the other hand, full credit to Pitt, almost everyone I went to school with did get hired within a months or two of passing the NCLEX, so I may be talking out of my rear end.

Also, it'll only matter for finding your first job, so consider that when you look at the price difference of the two schools.