Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

There was literally a right wing talk show host filling in for another right wing talk show host in Cleveland that brought up this really lame argument.

"THIS GENERATION..DIDN'T SERVE LIKE OUR GRANDFATHERS, THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT FREEDOM MEANS!!! I REALLY DOUBT THEY WOULD TAKE UP ARMS IF OUR FREEDOM WAS EVER CHALLENGED!"

"MAYBE WE SHOULD BRING BACK THE DRAFT!!!!!!!"

What the gently caress does that have to do with anything? Yes the two generations (Greatest, Boomers a bit) had to battle communism and fascism respectfully. But guess what? We don't have to anymore.

I can't see a scenario where Hitler II comes back or where the Soviets return barring some insane economic collapse in some form of a world power.

Also, to boot, the guy was in Gen X. What loving wars did that generation fight?

The war on drugs of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also, to boot, the guy was in Gen X. What loving wars did that generation fight?

The Gulf War and any other minor military actions is all I can think of.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The weird refrain you hear from time to time that we should reinstate the draft never makes any sense to me. It seems to come from the left most often, but maybe I've been misled. We have sufficient volunteers that a draft is nowhere near necessary, I don't get it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
As millennial I love that my generation simultaneously entered the workforce during one of the country'a worse economic states and many of us fought in the two longest wars in US history, but we're also uniformly lazy and pampered. This is the same douche that would decry the Occupy movement--which was people making a stand--as naive and lazy.

But yeah, gently caress people who fetishize the greatest generation. They uniformly ignore stuff like American soldiers taking skulls of Japanese as trophies. War is hell even if one side is unarguably better. Anyone who doesn't understand that is a child at best.

Flesh Forge posted:

The weird refrain you hear from time to time that we should reinstate the draft never makes any sense to me. It seems to come from the left most often, but maybe I've been misled. We have sufficient volunteers that a draft is nowhere near necessary, I don't get it.
Well, there is a good argument that the draft mobilizes people against war because it puts the stakes of war on the public's shoulders. Of course that can lead to a situation like the Civil War where people fought against a just war just as easily as the reaction to Vietnam.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 11, 2013

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Grandfathers everywhere: I didn't go to war to fight for your freedom so that you could not have to go to war to fight for your freedom :argh:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

FuzzySkinner posted:

The Gulf War, I guess? :v:

I wouldn't take it seriously. The people who are most adamantly for the draft tend to have never served a day in their life and are well outside of the qualifications for participating in it. Here's a reminder that people rally behind draft dodgers George W. Bush and Ted Nugent (lol) while they bash actual veterans like John Kerry and Tammy Duckworth.

To be honest, you should hope that that becomes a republican talking point. Millenials are already hating them now and are (iirc) rabidly isolationist, but throw in the 2016 frontrunner talking about the draft and he's just doomed his entire party for that election cycle. I can't think of a better way to get college kids out to the polls.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So the only way every generation will truly understand freedom is if we're perpetually at war.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Lycus posted:

So the only way every generation will truly understand freedom is if we're perpetually at war.

The treethrone of libertyskulls demands more blood!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

But yeah, gently caress people who fetishize the greatest generation. They uniformly ignore stuff like American soldiers taking skulls of Japanese as trophies. War is hell even if one side is unarguably better.

I'm not sure if it was this thread or the Nazi History thread in A/T, but someone posted a quote from a british officer (I think it was Churchill, actually) saying that they were ecstatic about winning the war, mostly because if they lost it would've been them hanging at Nuremburg instead of the Germans.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Dick Cheney dodged the draft by appealing for hardship and him getting in trouble at one school and during his time at University of Wyoming and when his first child was born.

And he served as secretary of defense.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Star Man posted:

Dick Cheney dodged the draft by appealing for hardship and him getting in trouble at one school and during his time at University of Wyoming and when his first child was born.

And he served as secretary of defense.

Didn't Rumsfeld also dodge the draft? Also, Mittens went on missionary work as soon as he was eligible to get drafted iirc.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just a reminder:

This guy got 47% of the vote.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm not sure if it was this thread or the Nazi History thread in A/T, but someone posted a quote from a british officer (I think it was Churchill, actually) saying that they were ecstatic about winning the war, mostly because if they lost it would've been them hanging at Nuremburg instead of the Germans.

"I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal.... Every soldier thinks something of the moral aspects of what he is doing. But all war is immoral and if you let that bother you, you're not a good soldier."
-General Curtis LeMay

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The greater sin of the right is their willingness to use military service against or completely flip it on you if it serves their needs i.e. John McCain is crazy and John Kerry is either a liar or a coward.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

There was literally a right wing talk show host filling in for another right wing talk show host in Cleveland that brought up this really lame argument.

"THIS GENERATION..DIDN'T SERVE LIKE OUR GRANDFATHERS, THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT FREEDOM MEANS!!! I REALLY DOUBT THEY WOULD TAKE UP ARMS IF OUR FREEDOM WAS EVER CHALLENGED!"

"MAYBE WE SHOULD BRING BACK THE DRAFT!!!!!!!"

What the gently caress does that have to do with anything? Yes the two generations (Greatest, Boomers a bit) had to battle communism and fascism respectfully. But guess what? We don't have to anymore.

I can't see a scenario where Hitler II comes back or where the Soviets return barring some insane economic collapse in some form of a world power.

Wait, did he completely forget about Iraq and Afghanistan? We've been "at war" since 2001, so millennials have been serving in combat pretty much nonstop since they hit military age.

Did this guy forget about "ARE TROOPS" on Veterans Day?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Wait, did he completely forget about Iraq and Afghanistan? We've been "at war" since 2001, so millennials have been serving in combat pretty much nonstop since they hit military age.

Did this guy forget about "ARE TROOPS" on Veterans Day?

They don't consider it war because fewer than 10,000 real people died. All the other people who died were all terrorists or something.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Edit: wrong thread

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

They're too stupid to understand why we abolished it in the first place and they want to kill people one rung higher than them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I think some of the "reinstate the draft" stuff reflects the utter absence of any meaningful shared sacrifice in this country's recent wars. It's easier to marginalize and forget the needs of veterans, and the costs of war, when the service is purely voluntary and so some social strata will have very little interaction with people who have been in wars. It's a similar argument to one of the ones that I've heard about drones- that they make war too easy and tempting. The solution of reinstating the draft would be even worse than the problem, though.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

People who give other people nicknames are almost always gigantic assholes. It's a classic power play -- I'm not going to call you by your actual name like a human being I respect, I'm going to call you "Turd Blossom," and you're gonna like it 'cause I'm your boss and it's funny, hahah, get the joke?

This. If I walk into a job and the Boss calls me Fredo, that's the day I walk out of the job.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

The cola wars were hard on all of us

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Rush is bringing women to tears

quote:

RUSH: I want to start in Floyd, Iowa, on the phones today. This is Jennifer. Thank you so much for calling. Great to have you. Hi.

CALLER: Hey, Rush, it's so good to talk to you. I just called, and I hope I can make it through without crying, but your book has just really touched our hearts. How you talk about when they're on the Mayflower and when the man fell overboard and they were pulling him up by the rope, and I think Rush Revere said, "Well, you're sure lucky to be alive." And I think it was William who said that it was a miracle, and I'm just so touched that you're bringing God so much into this history and reminding people that God has a divine plan and that nothing happens by accident, and I just started crying this morning.

CALLER: And I just wanted to tell you, too, my little girl, she's enjoying Liberty so much. She just laughs when he comes in the story. She just laughs. So thank you for writing a book that is entertaining but tells the truth and that you're not afraid to tell the truth. So thank you so much.

RUSH: Never have been. I've got the scars to show it. But they're all worth it. Well, Jennifer, I appreciate it. Thank you. You know, I tell you what, hold on. I'd like to send you -- how old is your daughter, by the way?

CALLER: She's five years old.

RUSH: Five. So she can't read it, right?

CALLER: No, she can't. I read it to her.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

StandardVC10 posted:

I think some of the "reinstate the draft" stuff reflects the utter absence of any meaningful shared sacrifice in this country's recent wars. It's easier to marginalize and forget the needs of veterans, and the costs of war, when the service is purely voluntary and so some social strata will have very little interaction with people who have been in wars. It's a similar argument to one of the ones that I've heard about drones- that they make war too easy and tempting. The solution of reinstating the draft would be even worse than the problem, though.

I'll just say that I'm fine with the draft being reinstated as long as the tax rates from the last time we had the draft are reinstated as well.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Rush is bringing women to tears

No doubt that five year old is smart enough to recognize the bullshit being read to her.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"I'm just so touched you're bringing God so much into this history" indeed.

Like the Puritanical flight from England needed MORE God brought into it. What a jo-

Oh, you mean he's bringing YOUR idea of God into a historical context to make it fit your worldview even more than it already does and ah gently caress it. Just...gently caress it.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

That poor poor girl.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Flesh Forge posted:

We have sufficient volunteers that a draft is nowhere near necessary, I don't get it.

It was my understanding that the military was significantly overstretched during the wars of the '00s.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If that lady was any more of a plant a poorly supervised teenager would try to smoke her.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If God really wanted to save lives he would have sunk every ship full of white Europeans before they ever made landfall in the New World.

But I guess we'll just have to wait for the LF version of American History for kids to get that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I was amazed to find out that Rush is now more than just books and radio

He now makes Tea (Get it?)

quote:

Rush and Kathryn started Two If By Tea® to understand first-hand the myriad challenges faced by American small business owners. They wanted to manufacture a product from scratch, within the United States, while creating jobs. Their mission from day one was to cut no corners and produce the best possible product on the market, demonstrating their belief in American Exceptionalism!

Rush and Kathryn love iced tea and thought a patriotic beverage would be ideal! They set out to taste test hundreds of samples to ensure they selected the best possible blend of natural ingredients. Rush was determined to make the Original Sweet Tea taste just like his mother used to make when he was growing up in the great state of Missouri. Both thought why not be modern day milkmen and deliver the finest iced tea in America right to your front door step?

Once Rush and Kathryn decided on the product and the basic structure of the business, they began to brainstorm brand names. They wanted to be unique and not go by a standard "marketing manual." After many laughs and semi-ridiculous suggestions, Rush and Kathryn decided they would honor a great America Patriot, Paul Revere, by selecting the name Two If By Tea® featuring Rush Revere dressed in colonial attire. Rush Revere, along with his horse Liberty, is featured on Two If By Tea's® labels.

Rush and Kathryn wanted to be sure to maintain a very personal connection with their extended tea family! They consider each tea family member an important part of Two If By Tea's® success for which they will always be grateful. They put together a small team of incredibly bright, passionate, creative, and innovative people to maintain this familial philosophy.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 12, 2013

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Finding Rush Limbaugh brand products of any type in a home is a pretty good way to screen potential friends and acquaintances.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Oh please, Rush. Please tell me how soft drink ingredients can be politically correct. I simply must know.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

El Rushbo doesn't shy away from using those ingredients the nanny state regime wants to suppress like asbestos, leaded gasoline and unfiltered cigarettes. Order a case today!

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Really the kids that were calling in to his show earlier in the year got a much better deal. Especially during the latest iProduct launch: he was giving away iPads and Macbooks to young callers that passed the True Conservative purity test. Now? Callers get an audiobook of Rush reading the same poo poo they just read.
His show has really been insufferable for the last couple of weeks. He takes up about an hour of his time usually reserved for strawman arguments about how the latest Democratic action is an affront to all things American to gush about his book. He just so proud of it! And everyone loves Liberty, Rush's trusty time travelling, talking Horse. According to his callers Liberty is so funny and Rush needs to get into the business of writing books for kids. The funniest thing is when he reads fan mail that reads something like 'oh I've read the book to my homeschooled kid, it's so much better than those other history books' while Rush will decry academia as a liberal indoctrination camp in another segment.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I was amazed to find out that Rush is now more than just books and radio

He now makes Tea (Get it?)

If the nutritional facts are correct it actually looks pretty decent. It's just sugar (not HFCS), something called "tea essence" and black tea. I wouldn't buy cases of it but I'd probably try one if they sold them at gas stations.

edit: Oh god I just thought about what "tea essence" could possibly be.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

pentyne posted:

"Foreigners uh... foreigners sense are freedoms and they seek the tea essence. I, uh... I do not avoid foreigners, but I... I do deny them my essence."

Tea Essence is basically the tea leaf equivalent of olive oil.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

"It's just right"

It sure is.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

pentyne posted:

If the nutritional facts are correct it actually looks pretty decent. It's just sugar (not HFCS), something called "tea essence" and black tea. I wouldn't buy cases of it but I'd probably try one if they sold them at gas stations.

My father is a Limbaugh fan, and I had a version of the Raspberry version.

Was actually okay. I wouldn't pay for a case of the stuff (very expensive), but if it was at a gas station for a "decent price" (ie like 1.29), I wouldn't be against drinking it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Business Gorillas posted:

Didn't Rumsfeld also dodge the draft? Also, Mittens went on missionary work as soon as he was eligible to get drafted iirc.

Rumor has it that Mitt actually wanted to go, or failing that get missionaried off to some isolated corner of Africa to do some Real Good, but his father had no interest in seeing his son endangered, thus France.

Sounds plausible from a Generic Father standpoint. Possibly plausible enough to even seduce George Romney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Every presidential candidate that served in Vietnam never won the presidency. Check that poo poo out.