Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

The 780ti is a very reasonable price here in Australia - it's much the same price as the 780 was before the price drop a few weeks ago. Also, I read in reviews that Nvidia is extending its game bundle to the 780ti.

I don't know if I'd call $8-850 "reasonable", especially compared to the price of a 780 or SLI'd 770's. I do, however, think that the 780 is a better pick ATM over the 290x's as it's generally about $100 cheaper and has superior cooling, coupled with the games bundles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't think it's even a question of the monitors being mismatched. I think the GPU clocks up with two monitors simply because it needs more power to drive two monitors (I could be wrong on that though, feel free to correct me if I am).

Well like I said I forced my GPU to crash and the clocks went back down to normal idle levels. Both monitors are working fine after that happens so I'm not sure it's that.

E: I mean I don't think it needs to max out constantly to power 2 monitors.

BIFF! fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 11, 2013

Sad 2 Da Bone
Feb 13, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Fraps is only reporting up to 120 FPS when I'm explicitly setting COD:Ghosts to 144hz in its settings (and my monitor is set to 144hz in Windows, 1080p and using DualDVI. Does Fraps not go higher than that or is something else locking the FPS?

Edit: Figured it out, I needed to reboot after turning the EVGA Precision X limiter off. However, the frame rate limiter on that only goes to 120, is there an alternative that can go to 144?

I'm using Riva Statistics Server and it goes up to 200:
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/rtss_rivatuner_statistics_server_download.html

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Guni posted:

I don't know if I'd call $8-850 "reasonable", especially compared to the price of a 780 or SLI'd 770's. I do, however, think that the 780 is a better pick ATM over the 290x's as it's generally about $100 cheaper and has superior cooling, coupled with the games bundles.

Well if I was willing to spend that much on a 780 a couple of months ago, but held off because I was waiting on a particular case to be released, then logic dictates it would be reasonable to spend it on a 780ti. I'm going to wait for a comparison of the 290X and 780ti when both have custom coolers out, but it would take a very great deal to convince me to buy a 290X.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Hmm, that almost worked, but it won't run on 64-bit native apps like Ghost.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Well if I was willing to spend that much on a 780 a couple of months ago, but held off because I was waiting on a particular case to be released, then logic dictates it would be reasonable to spend it on a 780ti. I'm going to wait for a comparison of the 290X and 780ti when both have custom coolers out, but it would take a very great deal to convince me to buy a 290X.

Yeah, but irrespective of what you were going to purchase, the 780 at $8-850 is not "good value" either. It's all about the price:performance man. :getin:

E: In my original post I should have elaborated, by "reasonable" I meant relative to the price:performance the 780TI isn't a good buy.

Guni fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 11, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Guni posted:

Yeah, but irrespective of what you were going to purchase, the 780 at $8-850 is not "good value" either. It's all about the price:performance man. :getin:

E: In my original post I should have elaborated, by "reasonable" I meant relative to the price:performance the 780TI isn't a good buy.

Price
Performance

One of the above is a relevant consideration to me. I avoid Multi GPU setups these days, because I don't like the headaches they cause, so I'm left considering single GPU setups.

Now If I was gaming at 1080p, assuming a 60hz monitor, there is a point where getting a more powerful GPU is pointless because you are already achieving 60fps in everything. In my opinion, that hasn't happened yet at 1440p, so any increase in performance is beneficial, therefore my only real consideration is buying the most powerful GPU that is available.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I need to stop reading this thread. The urge to get a 290 and convert entirely to water is getting fairly strong...

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Nostrum posted:

I need to stop reading this thread. The urge to get a 290 and convert entirely to water is getting fairly strong...

Why not do it? It's a fantastic card for the price, and water cooling would make it even better.

If you can't afford water cooling, opt for an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III instead. A 290 with that is still less than a 780 (in the US anyway), and it has equal or better performance for the most part.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Rahu X posted:

Why not do it? It's a fantastic card for the price, and water cooling would make it even better.

If you can't afford water cooling, opt for an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III instead. A 290 with that is still less than a 780 (in the US anyway), and it has equal or better performance for the most part.

To water-cool a 290 I'm assuming you need an existing custom loop?

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Err, how can you use RTSS when the program explicitly says it can't support 64bit games, and Ghosts is a 64bit game?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Rahu X posted:

I've read a number of people say that active VRM cooling is required, the Accelero Xtreme III specifically doesn't work because passive heatsinks don't provide enough VRM cooling even with a fan blowing through the radiator at them. I'm confident this can be addressed in a product update though.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Alereon posted:

I've read a number of people say that active VRM cooling is required, the Accelero Xtreme III specifically doesn't work because passive heatsinks don't provide enough VRM cooling even with a fan blowing through the radiator at them. I'm confident this can be addressed in a product update though.

Can you let me know where you found this information so I can do some further research? My buddy has a 290 and Accelero on the way and has asked me to help with the install.

Tom's article alluded to having to run the fans on at least 50% to cool the VRMs sufficiently. This shouldn't be a problem as at 100% fan speed it's quieter than the reference at idle, so we intend to force it to 100% at all times. It also alluded to "minor modifications" being needed on the kit for it to work. If you could point me to some forums that discuss this, it would help me a lot.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Can you let me know where you found this information so I can do some further research? My buddy has a 290 and Accelero on the way and has asked me to help with the install.

Tom's article alluded to having to run the fans on at least 50% to cool the VRMs sufficiently. This shouldn't be a problem as at 100% fan speed it's quieter than the reference at idle, so we intend to force it to 100% at all times. It also alluded to "minor modifications" being needed on the kit for it to work. If you could point me to some forums that discuss this, it would help me a lot.
Here's a HardOCP thread that discusses the issue. Forcing the fans to 100% improves cooling enough to complete game benchmarks but I don't think we have anything to support it being safe for long-term usage or heavy load.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Re: G-Sync and Asus exclusivity, it looks like that the outlet that originally reported it has indeed downgraded it to "rumor." It was originally reported as a thing that was true.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Alereon posted:

From what I'm reading, it seems it's more of an issue if you have the fans working via PWM on the card itself. To put it in perspective via the thread you linked, running the Xtreme III at 100% in Power Tune/Afterburner is akin to running them at 40% of their actual speed. Tom's Hardware said themselves that running the fan directly from the card wasn't enough to cool the VRMs. Running the fans at 7V or 12V off a molex should theoretically take some of the load off the VRMs as well as provide better cooling potential.

Still, it's nice to keep in mind. Reasons like this, as well as still waiting on the guide from Tom's Hardware, are why I'm holding off on installing mine for now. If it ends up too risky, I may just RMA the thing for a refund and join the water cooling club when I get the cash to set up a loop.

To be honest, despite it running hot, I have no real complaints with the reference cooler. It's relatively quiet on my end (at least quieter than my old 580 under load).

EDIT:The Gelid Icy Vision is also compatible with the 290/290X, and it apparently provides better VRM cooling capabilities than the Xtreme III. At least theoretically, since its VRM heatsinks provide better contact with the VRMs.

I may actually opt for that instead, simply because the way you apply most of the heatsinks doesn't require glue. It uses thermal pads instead, meaning the solution isn't permanent once applied. That's another reason why I was questioning to use the Xtreme III or not, because I didn't know if I may or may not want to use another cooling solution later. Luckily, Newegg is being very generous with their return period on the Xtreme III (up until Jan. 31 of next year), so I have plenty of time to think this over.

You can also get your hands dirty and use part of the original reference heatsink, if you wish.

Rahu X fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 11, 2013

SmutAnEggs
Jan 1, 2006
Well my 8800GT OC finally kicked the bucket! How long till new coolers are available? Are we talking weeks or months? I've got 4 year backlog worth of games to get through!

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai

SmutAnEggs posted:

Well my 8800GT OC finally kicked the bucket! How long till new coolers are available? Are we talking weeks or months? I've got 4 year backlog worth of games to get through!

Rumors state the end of November at the earliest for aftermarket 290s.

So, I'd say anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

That's my vrm temps running on water :)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

veedubfreak posted:

You know, your username doesn't go with your water cooling obsession.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I decided to replace the 285 I picked up in 2009 with a 770 GTX. Holy poo poo is the 770 huge.

I specs 7x as fast at half the temperature, rather impressive really.

The temperature specs are accurate, but so far I cannot find the upper limit on the card. I just cannot get any lag out of it. When I find a game that can slow it down, I will report back. For the time being though, running everything at max is kinda neat.

It was also only 380 bucks.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

deimos posted:

You know, your username doesn't go with your water cooling obsession.

Does so. I drive a watercooled dub :)

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Tom's Hardware put up an article describing why 290/290x cards from different manufacturers seem to vary in speed and performance: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-driver-fix,3666.html

It's the fans not agreeing on what 40% is basically, and running at different speeds. Then the GPU downclocks more on the lower speed fans than the others. Anyway, there are new beta drivers that specify an RPM speed rather than a percentage, which leads to an increase on GPU speed for their samples. However note that the Asus card still doesn't quite keep up.

It's too bad that different manufacturers can have such variance, but it's good that driver updates can be done to fix things like this. Regardless, I think it's still worth waiting for good custom cooling solutions from the manufacturers (and Tom's agrees).

beejay fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 12, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

beejay posted:

Tom's Hardware put up an article describing why 290/290x cards from different manufacturers seem to vary in speed and performance: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-driver-fix,3666.html

It's the fans not agreeing on what 40% is basically, and running at different speeds. Then the GPU downclocks more on the lower speed fans than the others. Anyway, there are new beta drivers that specify an RPM speed rather than a percentage, which leads to an increase on GPU speed for their samples. However note that the Asus card still doesn't quite keep up.

It's too bad that different manufacturers can have such variance, but it's good that driver updates can be done to fix things like this. Regardless, I think it's still worth waiting for good custom cooling solutions from the manufacturers (and Tom's agrees).

The only variance between reference cards should be the bios they come with. Well and the sticker on the leaf blower.

My xfx cards claim to have unlocked voltage, just waiting on someone that lets you tweak it though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hamburger Test posted:

Is this a serious prediction? Because I'm sitting here hoping for nVidia's response to the 290, since I would prefer to stick with them for now. If it doesn't come though, I can wait for the custom cooled 290's.

No, it was a joke - if you click the link in that post, it was me back in June 2012 talking about how the 2GB limitation of the 680 didn't really matter (turns out it kinda does in some stuff, and probably will more in future stuff, darn), and then a word of warning to "myself" that I should probably wait to buy a 780 (got it within a week of launch, for $650) when if I'd have waited until nowish they'd have dropped the price by $100 and added a great games bundle. The reason for the joke was because the person I was replying to was making the same argument that I had made a year and a half ago, ergo the bit about being like talking to myself.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have timed the upgrade differently :qq: But no, I don't even speculatively foresee any major price changes on the 780 from nVidia. Not sure what they'll do with the 780Ti as time goes on, but given that it's very much just their e-peen card to answer AMD's release of the 290X and go "Hah, now we're the fastest again! Take that!" and as such is more about prestige than practicality, they've no compelling reason to lower the price on it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

How are you cooling the VRMs, did you make your own waterblock or just glue a heatsink on, and did you add a fan blowing on the VRMs? How hot does it get under FurMark?
E: drat missed them posts that is pro as gently caress dude.

Rahu X posted:

EDIT:The Gelid Icy Vision is also compatible with the 290/290X, and it apparently provides better VRM cooling capabilities than the Xtreme III. At least theoretically, since its VRM heatsinks provide better contact with the VRMs.
I don't think it's a contact issue, but rather the stock heatsink has a vapor chamber to move heat into a larger heatsink. It would seem like we would need an aftermarket cooler with something significantly better than an aluminum passive heatsink unless you're forcing air directly through it.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 12, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Alereon posted:

How are you cooling the VRMs, did you make your own waterblock or just glue a heatsink on, and did you add a fan blowing on the VRMs? How hot does it get under FurMark?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Am I correct in understanding the only performance gains to be had in upgrading my SLI 580s (3GB VRAM) would be decreased heat/power consumption and/or Shadowplay (if moving to Kepler). I play at 1080p and BF4 chokes sometimes on Ultra settings and I have more cash than common sense right now...

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Anti-Hero posted:

Am I correct in understanding the only performance gains to be had in upgrading my SLI 580s (3GB VRAM) would be decreased heat/power consumption and/or Shadowplay (if moving to Kepler). I play at 1080p and BF4 chokes sometimes on Ultra settings and I have more cash than common sense right now...

What are you looking for out of the upgrade? You could do better than two 580s for 1080p in the most recent games, yeah, Fermi was a powerful architecture but it's getting long in the tooth for trying to max things, even in SLI, as you're finding. If you want to stick with nVidia options vary depending on price point and how far off the price:performance curve you want to go in search of performance at any price.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
how bad of an idea is it to get a sapphire 7990 for a new build ?

( it is cheaper then a gtx 780 at the moment and about the same price of a r9 290)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

admataY posted:

how bad of an idea is it to get a sapphire 7990 for a new build ?

( it is cheaper then a gtx 780 at the moment and about the same price of a r9 290)
Sapphire cards are significantly less reliable than other manufacturers, with about twice the average failure rate and some models spiking far higher. Given the inconsistent experience Crossfire offers I'd take an R9 290 over a 7990 at the same price, though if you have to underclock it to bring the noise under control that does widen the performance gap.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Agreed posted:

What are you looking for out of the upgrade? You could do better than two 580s for 1080p in the most recent games, yeah, Fermi was a powerful architecture but it's getting long in the tooth for trying to max things, even in SLI, as you're finding. If you want to stick with nVidia options vary depending on price point and how far off the price:performance curve you want to go in search of performance at any price.

I would like BF4 to run on Ultra at 60FPS about 80% of the time, with the lowest drops down in to the 50's. BF3 ran flawlessly, and BF4 is still pretty fantastic but there is room for improvement. Upgrading from my ancient i5-750 (clocked to 3.6 GHz) and putting Win 8.1 might be a good start.

I'd be comfortable spending about $700 or so on a GPU since I'm an idiot with money and like to watch it burn.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Anti-Hero posted:

I would like BF4 to run on Ultra at 60FPS about 80% of the time, with the lowest drops down in to the 50's. BF3 ran flawlessly, and BF4 is still pretty fantastic but there is room for improvement. Upgrading from my ancient i5-750 (clocked to 3.6 GHz) and putting Win 8.1 might be a good start.

I'd be comfortable spending about $700 or so on a GPU since I'm an idiot with money and like to watch it burn.
I finally found a site with retail BF4 benchmarks including a GTX 590 (SLI GTX 580s are about 25% faster). It's not FCAT, but the minimum framerate numbers are probably still comparable and you are almost precisely at parity with the GTX 780 non-Ti. While the GTX 780 Ti is certainly an upgrade, I feel like you'd get more benefit from a new motherboard+CPU+RAM, especially if you currently have a pair of 3GB cards. That would certainly become the bottleneck if you did get a 780 Ti.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Alereon posted:

I finally found a site with retail BF4 benchmarks including a GTX 590 (SLI GTX 580s are about 25% faster). It's not FCAT, but the minimum framerate numbers are probably still comparable and you are almost precisely at parity with the GTX 780 non-Ti. While the GTX 780 Ti is certainly an upgrade, I feel like you'd get more benefit from a new motherboard+CPU+RAM, especially if you currently have a pair of 3GB cards. That would certainly become the bottleneck if you did get a 780 Ti.

Thanks for digging that up. Yeah, I'm in agreement with you. Time to get to the PC part picker thread and spec out a new platform.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Factory Factory posted:

Re: G-Sync and Asus exclusivity, it looks like that the outlet that originally reported it has indeed downgraded it to "rumor." It was originally reported as a thing that was true.

Thank GOD.

It seemed just bizarre. If I was nvidia I'd want to get as many G-Sync monitors out there as soon as possible. It guarantees GPU sales.

I've just assembled a new PC sans GPU. There's no way I'm buying a AMD card now. But with ASUS exclusivity for the next 18 months? There's a strong chance I would have.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 12, 2013

Sad 2 Da Bone
Feb 13, 2012

Abalieno posted:

Err, how can you use RTSS when the program explicitly says it can't support 64bit games, and Ghosts is a 64bit game?

Sorry, I wasn't aware Call of Duty Ghosts was only 64 bit (nor was it pointed out). I would be interested if you know of another limiter that works with 64 bit programs, when my 760 starts rendering obscene amounts of frames/second it starts to sound peculiar.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Someone decided to try and mod the 290x with a dremel to make it quieter. Semiaccurate then spent hours testing to find out it didn't really do anything.

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/11/11/diy-amd-radeon-r9-290x-heatsink-mod/

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I think I'm gonna pick up two of those Acceleros. The 290s run great on the stock cooler for the first 2 or so hours of BF4, but after that I think things are getting too hot and the card starts to throttle. Going to run them off a 12v rail so I don't think VRM cooling should be an issue. I might even just opt for all copper heatsinks for vRAM/VRMs.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Spoony Bard posted:

Sorry, I wasn't aware Call of Duty Ghosts was only 64 bit (nor was it pointed out). I would be interested if you know of another limiter that works with 64 bit programs, when my 760 starts rendering obscene amounts of frames/second it starts to sound peculiar.

Dxtory should work with 64bit exes, but I've heard it just crashes with Ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Stanley Pain posted:

I think I'm gonna pick up two of those Acceleros. The 290s run great on the stock cooler for the first 2 or so hours of BF4, but after that I think things are getting too hot and the card starts to throttle. Going to run them off a 12v rail so I don't think VRM cooling should be an issue. I might even just opt for all copper heatsinks for vRAM/VRMs.

How do you know it's throttling?