Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

MrAristocrates posted:

I love the passive-aggressive posts saying they should just delete all mention of her from the entire site, like they're doing her a favor by giving her the exposure and she should just be thankful.

Someone on Twitter told me that's what they were talking about doing and my response was "Cool! Please do!"

Really tired of having to visit that site because of something creepy and awful that's been written there that'll just be put back up if I request it be taken down. I wouldn't be making such an explosion about this if it hadn't been going on for soooo long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Clearly, there is only one thing you can do now: Do something so anathema to tropers, you will be to them as the sun, silver, and garlic simultaneously are to vampires.

YOU MUST...

Do a review praising The Last Airbender. Or some other work/adaptation they seem to universally hate.

gently caress that start reviewing Shakespeare or Mark Twain they hate nothing more then actual good writing.

Mohawk Potato fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 12, 2013

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Jay O posted:

Some things. Aren't worth fighting for... :saddowns:

Do a negative review of the anime that shall not be named.

Call Doug Walker unfunny.

Diss animorphs.

Call Gurren Lagann the worst anime ever.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Smoking Crow posted:

Do a negative review of the anime that shall not be named.

Call Doug Walker unfunny.

Diss animorphs.

Call Gurren Lagann the worst anime ever.

I've already done one of those things and I won't tell you which one.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Jay O posted:

I've already done one of those things and I won't tell you which one.

Also, they say that fan fiction is your berserk button

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It was the Doug Walker one, wasn't it? poo poo, I could have told you that.

Also, the tropers apparently want to do a South Park FMA 2003 crossover fanfic just to spite you.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Doug Walker has been funny long enough that he has the right to just be unfunny now. Like Seth McFarlane. :colbert:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Holy poo poo. I thought that Dozerfleet was like staring at abyss, but this is pretty impressive. Sorry you have to deal with this crap, Jay O.

:suspense:

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also, the tropers apparently want to do a South Park FMA 2003 crossover fanfic just to spite you.

...why would I care...? :confused:

OH! Oh, because FMA 2003 is my favorite anime. I think.

Jay O posted:

...why would I care...? :confused:

Jay O fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 12, 2013

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Jesus Christ, you know why they're mad at you? Because you didn't make a distinction between good writers on TvTropes and bad writers on TvTropes. What a bunch of loving babies.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Jesus Christ, you know why they're mad at you? Because you didn't make a distinction between good writers on TvTropes and bad writers on TvTropes. What a bunch of loving babies.

There's a distinction?

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Smoking Crow posted:

Apply this to bronies, moe-philes, etc etc etc etc ad infinitum, and you have any time I ever say anything negative on Twitter ever.

Me: "God, Legend of Korra sucks. What a terrible character."

Response: "YOU'RE INSULTING THE FAAAAANS I LIKE THAT SHOW YOU'RE INSULTING ME!"

Me: "Man, those Legend of Wan episodes were really good! I loved those!"

Response: "..."

Me: "Ugh, back to Korra, this poo poo is really rough and boring."

Response: "WHY DON'T YOU LEAVE KORRA FANS ALOOOOOONE!?!?"

So yeah. Doing what I can to cull those people. They're all the worst troper-brony-TGWTG-fanites. :stonk:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

They're also pissed you didn't like RWBY.

I saw it at RTX and thought it was stupid and poorly animated

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Smoking Crow posted:

It's the most generic, stock anime cliched series you could possibly find, riding off goodwill by the animator from Red Vs Blue. Of course Tropers would love it, and of course they'd be offended if someone said "this is kinda poo poo."

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Smoking Crow posted:

RWBY is awful. To bring this back around to topic, it is also the closest thing you will ever see to tropers getting to make their very own animu. It is exactly like something written in the TV Tropes creators' forum, looking and sounding like poo poo aside.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's the most generic, stock anime cliched series you could possibly find, riding off goodwill by the animator from Red Vs Blue. Of course Tropers would love it, and of course they'd be offended if someone said "this is kinda poo poo."

As someone who's sat through a metric ton of generic anime, RWBY is below even that forgettable standard in animation and writing. It would be laughed at as incompetent garbage by all of the creepy super-otaku on 2chan. It's reeeeeally bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's really telling that the latest season of Red Vs Blue increased dramatically when they shoved Monty off to do his own anime series.
I was actually talking to a coworker today, and we came to an agreement that even South Park puts more effort into their backgrounds. Early South Park.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Seriously speaking, though: have you considered doing a vid that lays out, in no uncertain terms, why you (and evidently a fair few others, if this thread is anything to go by) dislike TvTropes? If nothing else, you're burning away "fans" that would've most likely abandoned you the next time you made some snipe at a show they like now, and may even serve as a desperately-needed slap of awareness for those who haven't been totally immersed in the poo poo yet.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Please do a review of SAC now. :allears:

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Regalingualius posted:

Seriously speaking, though: have you considered doing a vid that lays out, in no uncertain terms, why you (and evidently a fair few others, if this thread is anything to go by) dislike TvTropes? If nothing else, you're burning away "fans" that would've most likely abandoned you the next time you made some snipe at a show they like now, and may even serve as a desperately-needed slap of awareness for those who haven't been totally immersed in the poo poo yet.

The chances that I would be reprimanded by the TGWTG higher-ups for "engaging trolls" when the video blew up are too high. But that's a whole 'nother topic. There's a reason more TGWTG producers don't address the awfulness of the whole system and community. We're not all awful spergs, some of us are well-aware: but we're not protected from defending ourselves OR trying to change the system. Hell, if this post is found by the wrong people I could potentially get booted from the site.

The only reason I'm posting it is I'm at my breaking point from TGWTG abuse so I don't mind sinking my fangs into TV Tropes a little. Still: high potential I could be booted from TGWTG for doing so.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
How bout MCAC? :D

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

quote:

Odd, dude, we get that you're apologizing for the nasty wasties who used to be on this site. Yeah, the reputation of TVT is low, now stop trying to make up for it.

Oh man, this guy is getting pissed because some people are talking about how stupid it is to base your identity on troping.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wait, I think we're going about this all the wrong way.

Slander is spoken. In print, it's Libel.

nuts_rice
Sep 6, 2010

Ohhh Yog Soggoth, be my teenage dream boat ;)

Jay O posted:

The chances that I would be reprimanded by the TGWTG higher-ups for "engaging trolls" when the video blew up are too high. But that's a whole 'nother topic. There's a reason more TGWTG producers don't address the awfulness of the whole system and community. We're not all awful spergs, some of us are well-aware: but we're not protected from defending ourselves OR trying to change the system. Hell, if this post is found by the wrong people I could potentially get booted from the site.

The only reason I'm posting it is I'm at my breaking point from TGWTG abuse so I don't mind sinking my fangs into TV Tropes a little. Still: high potential I could be booted from TGWTG for doing so.

Ahh, dang man? For what, not liking weird creepy pages on you? Dang, that blows! I'm sorry to hear that.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Smoking Crow posted:

quote:

Yeah, the reputation of TVT is low, now stop trying to make up for it.

"Yeah, people call us obsessed with rape and boobs and think we're a useless site with a terrible community that fosters lovely writing and pedophile apologetics.

Now stop trying to make up for it."

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Djeser posted:

"Yeah, people call us obsessed with rape and boobs and think we're a useless site with a terrible community that fosters lovely writing and pedophile apologetics.

Now stop trying to make up for it."

I mean, if you've been on that site for at least a year, you've know the horrible poo poo that used to be on there. How loving dense do you have to be to call people that sexually harassed a 16 year old "nasty wasties?"

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
If it makes you feel any better, Jay-O, the SomethingAwful page(because we're a fictional work, apparently) got any mention of Matenwa, the Katrina/Japan charity drives, or any of the other poo poo that would have fit their dumb "Pet the Dog" Trope. Mostly because these threads were being a bunch of Jerk Jocks and Libbies* that wanted to keep artists like Deboss down.

Now our page is

quote:

A Darker Me: It's a joke on Something Awful that every goon is a nerdy, overweight "neckbeard" in Real Life. Individual goons, however, tend to make up obvious lies about how awesome they are for the fun of it.

Any of you that claims to be an educated sexhaver is a loving liar.

quote:

Even Evil Has Standards: Like 4chan, the Goons have done a few acts of vigilantism when they see fitting. However, comparing the two, both on- and off-board, is usually answered by an obligatory "I am offended by that comparison! At least we don't [insert questionable act here]!"

Guaran-loving-teed that [questionable act here] refers to the fact that we reference ADTRW not actually having a bunch of rapechat when we make fun of Tropers anime preferences.

quote:

Complaining About Things You Haven't Paid For: An AwfulVision column once highlighted a pair of videos where a kid who downloaded a The Smashing Pumpkins album illegally destroys the CD copies he made in a fit of rage after reaching the conclusion that he doesn't like the music.

I just like this one because Tropers are always one of the biggest groups of crybabies when LP goes behind the paywall because "I'll literally die if I don't find out what happens in Dangan Ronpa but gently caress you if you think I'm paying ten dollars for a website!"
:qqsay:

I think the only other person to get their page deleted/pruned down was Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation because he tanked some game Fast Eddie did the AI for, specifically calling Ahab's work out as one of the worst parts of the experience. But of course it's back up by now. Tom Siddell of Gunnerkrigg Court has been outright calling Tropers banal art criminals and locking threads that use a bunch of :tvtropes: speak. We'll see how that works out for him.

*I really hate myself for knowing that those are the words they use to say "high school bullies".

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

nuts_rice posted:

Ahh, dang man? For what, not liking weird creepy pages on you? Dang, that blows! I'm sorry to hear that.

I was reprimanded for "feeding trolls" when I told a creepy TGWTG "confessions" tumblr (that was really a venue for people to investigate our private lives) to stop trying to pry into my real-life relationships and talking about how I must be a cheating whore because I broke up with one person they were big fans of and then got together with someone they didn't know.

Literally all I did was send them a note saying "I'm just a person, I'm not a celebrity or a concept or an object, stop creeping into my personal life." I was reprimanded.

So yeah, it blows. I'm with the site because I get paid by the view, and if I wasn't on there, I wouldn't get the exposure I need to make enough money to justify the work it takes to produce my show. I'd still get some views! But it'd be maybe a quarter of what I get if TGWTG puts up my content on their site. So, reluctantly, I stay. It's a hosed-up site and environment though.

Anyhoo, I don't mean to derail. The day I feel I can safely leave TGWTG for some other outlet will be a day of relief.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 12, 2013

nuts_rice
Sep 6, 2010

Ohhh Yog Soggoth, be my teenage dream boat ;)
Dang, I just started Gunnerkrigg. Looks like I HAVE to buy a Coyote shirt.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it
Holy poo poo, that horrible harassing tumblr I just mentioned? Just vague-butthurt-posted about me in response to the TV Tropes thing.

It's like all these toxic places are connected or something!

(Once again, I don't frequent these places, people who...sigh...do for some reason just tweet at me about them. Which as you can imagine, becomes exhausting.)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Jay O posted:

Holy poo poo, that horrible harassing tumblr I just mentioned? Vague-butthurt-posted about me in response to the TV Tropes thing.

"Spoony never said bad stuff about TvTropes."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jay O posted:

I was reprimanded for "feeding trolls" when I told a creepy TGWTG "confessions" tumblr (that was really a venue for people to investigate our private lives) to stop trying to pry into my real-life relationships and talking about how I must be a cheating whore because I broke up with one person they were big fans of and then got together with someone they didn't know.

That's hosed up. They go after you for objecting to stalking, but spent years ignoring Spoony's drunken rants and rape threats?

Jay O posted:

Holy poo poo, that horrible harassing tumblr I just mentioned? Just vague-butthurt-posted about me in response to the TV Tropes thing.

"The customer is always right" isn't a thing when stalking/harassment is involved. If I were working a customer service job and someone ran into my store waving a manila envelope shouting that they had proof I was a cheating whorebitch, I would call the loving police.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it
I like how they say "reviewing is a job" and "they're my customers." No, I'm self-employed. I decided to make content on my own for my own reasons and they receive it for free. Many of them even turn ad-blocker on so I can't get any ad money for the content either. But the only "payment" they give is sitting through a 30-second ad. And that certainly doesn't give them the right to control my opinions or an obligation to keep it to myself when they're huge creepos and I've had enough of it.

Jesus christ, the internet...

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Lottery of Babylon posted:

"The customer is always right" isn't a thing when stalking/harassment is involved. If I were working a customer service job and someone ran into my store waving a manila envelope shouting that they had proof I was a cheating whorebitch, I would call the loving police.

I've seen MRAs use "The customer is always right" to complain about waitresses unwilling to have sex with them. This seems roughly analogous.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Internet reviewing is a job, and just like a job in the business world, you have no recourse if someone is harassing you. Sexual harassment suits are thrown out all the time because the plaintiff was "rude".

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

nm, i'm an idiot

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 12, 2013

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013
Just wanted to say good for you, Jay O. It's gotta be wretched, the position you're in. Have some cyber-flowers:

quote:

Smoking Crow posted:

Nah, they're mad at her because they're screwed-up people. They were always primed to explode. When you base your identity on a fantasy of yourself that you need everyone in the world to validate, and you've got a massive chip on your shoulder besides, you're not exactly stable. Anyone you choose to make in any way important to you is going to get it eventually. (Or at least any woman.)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Haiku/Sonichu

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/Sonichu

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanficRecs/Sonichu

I think I just found the ultimate distillation of TVTropes.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Jay O posted:

Apply this to bronies, moe-philes, etc etc etc etc ad infinitum, and you have any time I ever say anything negative on Twitter ever.
This seems to be what sparks most of the shitfits internet reviewers get thrown at them: not bending over backwards to say 'but hey this is just my opinion guys different strokes yeah' or 'don't worry I'm not saying all Poki Foki Panto fans are like that I saw one nurse an injured sparrow back to health once' after any negative statement. No burden on the part of the reader to use a little loving discretion or react like adults.

Djeser posted:

Internet reviewing is a job, and just like a job in the business world, you have no recourse if someone is harassing you. Sexual harassment suits are thrown out all the time because the plaintiff was "rude".
Dude, sexual harassment is a relative term, being a dick is the ultimate evil by any measure.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Jesus Christ, this is awful. I'm sorry you gotta go through this Jay O.

The thing is...they're almost at the point where they can't separate fiction from reality. They think reality works like fiction and vice versa. You're a "character" that you can apply all these tropes to and must be chronicled. It's an unhealthy mentality the site gives off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Jay O, I am really sorry you had to deal with creepy tropers on one side and what sounds like absolute pond scum on the other but I am very glad you got the page locked. You also sound pretty funny so I will check out your show even though I hate and fear TGWTG because I constantly mix him up with Linkara.

I also followed you on twitter, out of spite for tropers than anything else. So you only lost 39 followers. :unsmith:

That said, (and please do not take this the wrong way) I am very glad the 145 replies to this thread I saw after waking up involved your troper harassment and not that dozerfleet discovered this thread and begun his dark irl purging of all who have ever wronged him (with a bulldozer made out of computers or whatever).

• Locked thread