Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
The stated reason was to slow down the pacing a little now that we aren't in the thick of the action anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Tollymain posted:

So I'm guessing that Wildbow has been moving away from Thursday updates because they are working on their next new thing in part? I thought I read it somewhere, but I can't remember so I'm not going to outright assume.

Something like that.

quote:

WyldCard4 on November 5, 2013 at 12:45 AM said:

This is a very random question.

Is this due to taking more of a general break after finishing the closing chapters of Worm, to make more time to complete different sample works, because the donations are going to epilogues which extend Wormfs length instead of density now, or some other reason?

wildbow on November 5, 2013 at 12:48 AM said:

Yes.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best kind of answer :v:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I'd slow down also. That was an intense loving month.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I would guess that a sequel would be a 1.5 megaword epic. I'd assume it would be on a smaller, more publishable scale.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
So I read this thing, it took a while.. But what a ride.

thorf
Jun 26, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

The overriding theory is that they're there (for some reason and created/directed by someone) to provide something for capes to fight in order for their shards to develop, but that theory is not without its problems (mostly that they killed a gently caress of a lot of capes).

Sure, but if the Endbringers didn't exist, then the Protectorate would fight in a totally different way. Think about the assault on the Protectorate after Leviathan's attack: The Undersiders kidnapped Shadow Stalker, and essentially used her as a hostage. Imagine what the response to that would be if these were non-capes, and they had kidnapped a police officer.

Because of the Endbringers, more villians stay on the streets.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Doesn't Tattletale explain pretty early on her theory about the cops-and-robbers approach superheros take? I don't remember where exactly it came up, or what the finer (or any, really) details of it were, but I remember thinking it was pretty convincing at the time. And it didn't refer to Endbringers at all.

Edit: found it. http://parahumans.wordpress.com/2011/08/27/agitation-3-6/

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 9, 2013

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
New update!

Man, I'm glad that Dragon gets a happy ending, even if it's bittersweet. She was always one of my favorite characters throughout the story.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
This chapter here is basically a microcosm of what made me like Worm in the first place. Great characters who have strong motivations and history together, and it shows in all their interactions. Also, the dividing line between hero and otherwise is razor-thin, and sometimes you just can't know which side of things your actions carry you.

That, and the fact that in the middle of all this we have almost throwaway jokes about making kids.

I would gladly read more about the Wormverse, because Wildbow does such a fantastic job with his characters. It doesn't need to be cosmically important like the main arc was. Even just dealing with the day-to-day kinds of things is fascinating now that we know all the players so well from the main arc.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I think that was probably the best chapter of Worm I've seen, and by a good margin... And I love the rest of the series. Wow. Colin and Dragon have come a hell of a long way since we first saw them.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I really liked that, mostly because I really, really like Dragon and I was so sure that Wildbow was setting us up for "Dragon has to die so Dragon can live" kinda thing, and while that happened, it was the new Dragon that died, which completely reinforced why I loving love Dragon so much. I also love how the best (in terms of awesomeness to the reader, and in-universe as a quality individual) character is a computer.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I definitely think Wildbow has gotten stronger as a writer over the past 2 years.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

OneTwentySix posted:

I also love how the best (in terms of awesomeness to the reader, and in-universe as a quality individual) character is a computer.

It's definitely refreshing to have an A.I. character who isn't the stereotypical megalomaniac.

Edit: Also, whenever it might get around to happening, Teacher is now completely hosed. He's not even decent sequel fodder he's so throughly hosed.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 9, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dragon is good because she's a person first and an AI second. Probably the same way you write a good minority character if you are not that minority.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Is Defiant dead? I'm really not clear on that.

Also, just to make a wild loving guess here; Teacher is being set up for a fall, but it's not going to happen. Everyone is going to come after him and he's either going to win or at least get away despite their best attempts. Then some time later he's going to show up, scared out of his loving mind and demanding to be locked up, and no one is going to know what the gently caress, that is of course until Lisa notices some tiny little detail, goes full Sherlock on it, and breaks into a huge grin. End Serial.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

Nope. He just got shoved around a bit and Pandora downloaded herself into his computer bits for a while.

I'm also very much looking forward to teacher getting his poo poo kicked in.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm really not seeing the Taylor thing happening. If she lived its a secret from everyone including Imp.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It'd have to be a secret, for Taylor to really get any peace she'd need to be separated from that life as much as possible. Best case scenario she'd have lost her powers AND all of her memories from before she was put into the locker, but I'm not actually expecting that easy an end for her, mostly because I don't think "everything is magically all better for Taylor" really fits. So, if she is alive (and I am reasonably sure she is) "sever ties" would likely be the best thing for her mental health.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

NecroMonster posted:

Also, just to make a wild loving guess here; Teacher is being set up for a fall, but it's not going to happen. Everyone is going to come after him and he's either going to win or at least get away despite their best attempts. Then some time later he's going to show up, scared out of his loving mind and demanding to be locked up, and no one is going to know what the gently caress, that is of course until Lisa notices some tiny little detail, goes full Sherlock on it, and breaks into a huge grin. End Serial.
Defiant hugged Dragon at the end. He's very much alive.

As for Teacher, what he deserves might not be what he gets. He does have one of the few enclaves of people that are doing well, almost all his Thinkers and Tinkers survived the battle with Scion because they were the final surprise. In a sense, without Dragon as opposition, he'd likely win unless a group of heavy hitters went for a headshot at this point.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

veekie posted:

As for Teacher, what he deserves might not be what he gets. He does have one of the few enclaves of people that are doing well, almost all his Thinkers and Tinkers survived the battle with Scion because they were the final surprise. In a sense, without Dragon as opposition, he'd likely win unless a group of heavy hitters went for a headshot at this point.

I'm pretty certain that last thing is exactly what's happening for what it's worth.

Quincy80
Jul 3, 2012

veekie posted:

Teacher is going to get what he deserves. He held Dragon hostage with his program, It's one the main reasons nobody's killed him yet. Since he's still causing problems through proxies, somebody is going to whack him and no number of Thinker/Tinker 1 are going to stop the big guns. There doesn't need to be a head shot, someone like Valkyrie or Legend could just roll over the lot of them.

Quincy80 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 11, 2013

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Finally worked out how to get this on to my Kindle. If he ever publishes I'll buy it, but for now I want to read in bed. It seems like Wildbow is ok with them existing but it is a bit of a grey area and I'd rather not just post mobi. I'm going by this:

quote:

Q2a: Can I have an ebook version for free? Id like to read offline.

A2a: I have some, but Id rather not distribute them. Theres unethical sorts who are taking others work and claiming it as their own (often with a title/name change) and Id rather not make it easier for them. I know theres a few fanmade ebook versions circulating, I accept that itll happen, but I dont want to help the process along.

I used this: http://www.httrack.com/ to grab the site, then a Python script to create an index page and copy all of the chapters to the same folder, and pull out all of the non storyline elements. Far from the best code I've ever written, but you should be able to get it running with some effort. You have to manually copy the toc.html file to the output folder because I'm too lazy to fix the script.
code:
import os
import re

outputDir = "output"
inputDir = "."

tocString = "<a href=\"$$fileName$$.html\">$$chapterName$$</a><br/>"
toc = [];
for root, dirs, files in os.walk(inputDir):
    for file in files:
        shouldContinue = False;
        isEpilogue = False
        splitRoot = root.split("\\");
        for dirName in splitRoot:
            isEpilogue = dirName.startswith("e-") ;
            if ("arc" in dirName and not "stories-arcs" in dirName) or isEpilogue:
                if isEpilogue or len(splitRoot) > 3:
                    shouldContinue = True;
            if "page" == dirName:
                shouldContinue = False;
                break;
        if file.endswith("index.html") and shouldContinue and not "feed" in root:
            fileNameLocation = 1 if isEpilogue else 2
            chapterName = splitRoot[fileNameLocation + 1];
            fileName = splitRoot[fileNameLocation] + "-" + chapterName;
            output = tocString.replace("$$fileName$$", fileName).replace("$$chapterName$$", chapterName)
            toc.append(output);

inputFile = open(os.path.join(root, file), 'r')
            fileContents = inputFile.read();
            inputFile.close()
            fileContents = re.sub(r'<footer.*', "", fileContents, 0, re.DOTALL);
            fileContents = re.sub(r'<!DOCTYPE html>.*<div class="entry-content">', "", fileContents, 0, re.DOTALL);
            fileContents = "<html><body>" + fileContents + "</body></html>"

outputFile = open(os.path.join(outputDir, fileName + ".html"), 'w');
            outputFile.write(fileContents)
            outputFile.close()
indexFile = open("toc.html", 'w')
indexFile.write("<html> <body> <h1>Table of Contents</h1> <p style=\"text-indent:0pt\">")
for href in toc:
    indexFile.write(href + "\n")
indexFile.write("</p></body></html>")
indexFile.close();
And then imported that into Calibre, converted to Mobi, and it works! With a table of contents :)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

New update, from Bitch's perspective. How many are left after this, one or two?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

New update, from Bitch's perspective. How many are left after this, one or two?

Two.

And more stuff on Tattletale planning something. Teacher is so incredibly dead.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm going to be optimistic and say that the bad triggers are due to Scion's shards getting loose and not because the whole process is broken or something.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

That seems like the most likely explanation.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Zion chunks should work like Eden chunks.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So, what ultimately happens now that Zion is dead? Do shards find new owners as capes die, or this is going to be the last generation of superheroes?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Shards spawn child shards anyway, so it won't dead end like that.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Shards still mature and splinter. So I don't see superheroes going anywhere any time soon.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I suppose it all depends on how many shards the Fairy Queen nabbed--I wonder if they still mature and split off while she uses them?

But nevertheless, the plan still had them basically releasing all the shards and just waiting for a few centuries. They would manipulate events (as per Eden's vision) but it seems that the shard maturation process largely maintains itself.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010
Did we ever actually find out what Dragon's tinker knack is? Taylor made a lot of guesses, but I don't think she ever figured it out.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Vateke posted:

Did we ever actually find out what Dragon's tinker knack is? Taylor made a lot of guesses, but I don't think she ever figured it out.

I thought it was that she could understand and effectively combine other tinkers tech?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Yeah, Dragon's ability was the skill to adapt and combine technology, though the stuff she makes usually wound up huge until she started collaborating with Colin, with his miniaturization skills.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm going to be optimistic and say that the bad triggers are due to Scion's shards getting loose and not because the whole process is broken or something.

Zion's remaining shards were never intended for human use, and so were never crippled with the Manton effect to keep them from killing their host.

At least that's how I read it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Does this chapter suggest that we are actually seeing that the shards that Scion never intended for human use were distributed to humanity after his death? 'Cause if so, whoever gets the "auto victory" clap power is seriously going to ruin a lot of people's days.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Grundulum posted:

Does this chapter suggest that we are actually seeing that the shards that Scion never intended for human use were distributed to humanity after his death? 'Cause if so, whoever gets the "auto victory" clap power is seriously going to ruin a lot of people's days.

Scion's body itself is made of powers, just like Eden was. It's less distributed, more scattered and splattered all over the place.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Grundulum posted:

The clap power isn't auto-victory future vision, it's some sort of effect where he bends physics and makes everything sort of stop moving/working. It pretty much breaks all of Newton's laws simultaneously.

He used it before without the clap too, I think against Leviathan he was shooting it out as energy balls or somethings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Algid posted:

The clap power isn't auto-victory future vision, it's some sort of effect where he bends physics and makes everything sort of stop moving/working. It pretty much breaks all of Newton's laws simultaneously.

He used it before without the clap too, I think against Leviathan he was shooting it out as energy balls or somethings.

It sounds a lot like Winter's power, to be honest.

• Locked thread