Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

jng2058 posted:

Who's Broccoli? That's the only on I hadn't guessed.

The character who has that nickname - Barclay.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Slamhound posted:

My favorite part of this is the final post in the first two Worf threads. Picard chills him out, Garak winds him up again.

Garak? Oh, no. That's Elim posting in that thread. Let me tell you about Elim...

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

bobkatt013 posted:

She is a counselor who loves chocolate.

Ah. I didn't know that her liking chocolate was a thing. Thanks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Angry Walrus posted:

Ah. I didn't know that her liking chocolate was a thing. Thanks.

That was one of her few character traits.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

That, and piloting skills.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I love the Voyager episode where Barclay is having a nervous breakdown and pretty visibly hiding some serious issues and Troi wont talk about poo poo until he makes good on a bowl of chocolate ice cream he promised.

In other words, Troi's legacy of awful was right at home in Voyager.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Otisburg posted:

Maybe my sympathy is misplaced, but when I read about minor characters appearing at Trek conventions I sort of wish they could have just done their time in Trek and moved on to other things, you know, and didn't have to put on weirdo alien make-up and ham it up for a bunch of unwashed nerds.

Like, the dude who played Nog is 45 now and hasn't done anything since DS9. There he is up on stage doing a Ferengi Rap. :smith:

Well, I don't know exactly how much someone like him earns in residuals, especially since he was likely only in maybe 1/4 - 1/3 of DS9 episodes. But that combined with the constant milking of his characters at events, conventions, et al, I'm sure with some decently financial planning the dude is set for life. It's really not a bad gig to have one character who is remembered so fondly and vividly by a large amount of dumb people willing to throw money at a TV show from 20+ years ago. poo poo, if all I had to do was put on Ferengi costume and rap and answer awkward questions 5-6 times a year something to live comfortably, I'd say sign me the gently caress up. Actors with the talent and the looks of an Aron Eisenberg could only dream of a better role and acting opportunity. Dudes like that usually get stuck playing Extra Weird Dude #2 in straight to DVD movies and poo poo, not owning a character, like I said, that is remembered as well as Star Trek dudes are.

Seriously, in that era getting a role on Star Trek even as just a reoccurring side character, for non-Patrick Stewart level actors/talent, must have been considered the loving jackpot with the syndication money and high nerd profile you achieve. For actors like Rom and Nog and what not it's likely the best role they could ever hope for.

So while I understand in spirit what you are getting at, I don't really feel all that bad for the dude considering what his career would likely have been without his gig on DS9.

Damo fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 12, 2013

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Meanwhile, Colm Meaney is in the latest Richard Curtis schmaltz-fest, which must pay very well.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meaney was already a reasonably succesful actor before Trek and has been for some time now. I guess that's why O'Brien wasn't a regular character on TNG.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Colm Meaney is in Hell on Wheels. apparently. I haven't seen it but a few folks I know say it's pretty good.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
He also recently held a shotgun to Alan Partridge's head, but yeah Colm Meaney has a pretty solid acting career, he might not be the headliner but he gets regular work.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Colm Meaney beat up James Bond. In a fridge.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I heard Jonathan Banks/ Mike The Cleaner from Breaking Bad was on DS9. I assume he plays a Cardassian or one of those scary Dominion warriors?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Colm was on SVU once. An abusive, alcoholic Judge or something.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Count Chocula posted:

I heard Jonathan Banks/ Mike The Cleaner from Breaking Bad was on DS9. I assume he plays a Cardassian or one of those scary Dominion warriors?
He's in one of the really early episodes when Sisko and the space pope crash on a prison planet where no one can ever die but you have to fight in a war forever and if you "die" on the planet you can never leave because of nano-bots or something. Sisko manages to get off but he just totally abandons the Kai there and it's never mentioned again.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

He's in one of the really early episodes when Sisko and the space pope crash on a prison planet where no one can ever die but you have to fight in a war forever and if you "die" on the planet you can never leave because of nano-bots or something. Sisko manages to get off but he just totally abandons the Kai there and it's never mentioned again.

Yeah, this occurred to me while Bashir was desperately trying to cure Odo of HIS weird plot-based space sickness. Wasn't he gonna try to cure the people of that planet? Guess it got back-burnered.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

IIRC, she's mentioned one or two more times, but not long after that happens. But I totally forgot about it by season four because :tviv:

Just watched TNG's "Allegiance" yesterday. I like a good, tense mutiny plot as much as the next guy, but goddamn was the premise awful. The aliens at the end of the episode were some of the goofiest poo poo I've seen in TNG since season one.

Medoken
Jul 2, 2006

I AM A FAGET FOR BOB SAGET
I've been watching TOS lately since I've been hankering for some trek and finding myself surprisingly pleased. The first few episodes are really weird, especially the pilot with Pike commanding the Enterprise and then the two-parter that is a rehash of the pilot (which I think I would have enjoyed more if I hadn't seen the pilot already since a majority of that two-parter are directly repurposed scenes).

BUT! what surprised me the most was the episode I watched last night, A Taste of Armageddon. At the end Kirk gives 'general order 23' which apparently means Scotty and the Enterprise are ready to blow this entire planet to hell. I kept waiting for there to be some sort of twist to general order 23, like it was all a ploy. But really, if things hadn't gone Kirk's way Scotty would have blown that planet out of space. That's certainly not an order Picard would have ever toyed with. He'd have been all noble sacrifice, prime directive and cultural relativism. But no, Kirk is all gently caress y'all I'm plunging this planet into direct and horrible war and even so if you don't do things my way I'm blowing all this poo poo up so gently caress YOU.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

showbiz_liz posted:

Yeah, this occurred to me while Bashir was desperately trying to cure Odo of HIS weird plot-based space sickness. Wasn't he gonna try to cure the people of that planet? Guess it got back-burnered.

They were able to cure the people on the planet and were totally down to do it, until the two sides started killing each other again after almost looking like they'd get along. (Cause long standing disputes can be solved in a matter of hours, right?) Sisko and Bashir decided the people weren't ready to leave the planet yet if they couldn't make peace and Opaka stayed behind to help them find peace.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Medoken posted:

I've been watching TOS lately since I've been hankering for some trek and finding myself surprisingly pleased. The first few episodes are really weird, especially the pilot with Pike commanding the Enterprise and then the two-parter that is a rehash of the pilot (which I think I would have enjoyed more if I hadn't seen the pilot already since a majority of that two-parter are directly repurposed scenes).

BUT! what surprised me the most was the episode I watched last night, A Taste of Armageddon. At the end Kirk gives 'general order 23' which apparently means Scotty and the Enterprise are ready to blow this entire planet to hell. I kept waiting for there to be some sort of twist to general order 23, like it was all a ploy. But really, if things hadn't gone Kirk's way Scotty would have blown that planet out of space. That's certainly not an order Picard would have ever toyed with. He'd have been all noble sacrifice, prime directive and cultural relativism. But no, Kirk is all gently caress y'all I'm plunging this planet into direct and horrible war and even so if you don't do things my way I'm blowing all this poo poo up so gently caress YOU.

Between attempting to kill a Federation ambassador, shooting at a Federation starship, and the episode's implication that at least one other visiting ship of some kind had been destroyed, it's honestly difficult to imagine Eminiar being able to try much harder to start a war with the Federation.

That said, the important thing to remember about the episode is that the Federation considered it urgent that Eminiar was to basically stop shooting down ships. Ambassador Fox even says the Enterprise is "expendable" for the purposes of the mission. In TNG it's highly unlikely Picard would have been sent on such a mission; Starfleet would probably just lay a few beacons saying "steer clear of these assholes" and move along. I think you're right about Picard not even considering a general orbital bombardment, but I do think some level of force would have to have been applied to end the war, even if the TNG solution would have been some sort of technobabble like hacking the war computers to stop killing people. (It's still a kind of force, if not physical.)

EDIT: Oh and as for the "first" episode with Pike: That was actually the pilot episode, which was produced more for the NBC executives than it was for the general audience, and was never fully aired during the original broadcast run. That's why they did the two-parter: so they could get some use out of footage that would otherwise be unusable for how much it differs from the rest of the series.

They spent a lot on that first pilot, too. I think it was like $600,000... in 1964 dollars.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 12, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
That pilot cost a lot probably because of all the different settings they used. I wonder if those were all sets that were built or if they were repurposed from other productions on the lot, because while the castle, field, etc. used in Pike's illusions look really good for soundstage sets, Talos itself looks like a huge pile of poo poo.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Roddenberry knew that the studio would be tight fisted when it came to building standing sets later on, so he deliberately front-loaded a lot of that construction into the pilot.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

The Dark One posted:

Roddenberry knew that the studio would be tight fisted when it came to building standing sets later on, so he deliberately front-loaded a lot of that construction into the pilot.

Gene didn't have a bloody clue, it was all down to Solow, Justman, Jeffries, et al. They came up with the idea of using coloured gels to 'paint' scenery colours, rather than, well, paint, and finding futuristic do-dads in bargain basement sales, making all the sets wild so they were very adaptable.

Roddenberry knew gently caress all about producing a show, he was just a writer. He creates (or rewrites) a scene, and all the background guys scrabble to make it happen.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
To be fair he did write a brief scene in engineering in Farpoint so they'd have to redress and build the sets for it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TOS was always very big on using whatever sets they had lying around from other productions. It's why there are so many Earth history knockoffs.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

So really Star Trek has been cheap since the beginning and not just when they reused TNG sets for The Undiscovered Country.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like the episode where the guy from New Jersey of the Past comes to jack stuff from the future, except the plot with the planet is kinda lame.

I assume some sort of novel or comic involves him going to the place in Jersey where his time pod is supposed to end up

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
It's a challenge inherent to depicting a post-scarcity society from the confines of a during-scarcity one.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

mp5 posted:

So really Star Trek has been cheap since the beginning and not just when they reused TNG sets for The Undiscovered Country.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Tiggum posted:

DS9 is the opposite of TNG. Starts really good gets pretty poo poo by the end. All that stuff with the wormhole beings and the war was just tedious and dumb. Also, some characters (notably Dukat) just become bizarrely inconsistent. Voyager is definitely the worst though.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Star Trek is just like Troma, reusing the Sgt. Kabukiman car-flip for decades. It's called getting your money's worth.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mp5 posted:

TOS actually had a relatively large budget, TMP had an insane amount of money spent on it, and TNG was a very expensive show when it was in production. Although interestingly, supposedly a very large proportion of the TNG episode costs were fixed; out of something like $1.5 million on average, they could only really play with about $200,000 of it, and the rest was already committed to cast and crew.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Weirdly, TOS can sometimes look a little less low budget than early TNG, actually, mostly because they were pretty aware that they were doing things like filming on an old Western set and compensated for it, whereas TNG's early solution was to activate the fog machine and fake lightning against a purple backdrop. Gas God Space Monster #s 1-27 are almost all a hell of a lot better looking than the blob monster that kills Tasha. Even the rubber lizard suit looks less absurd than some of those super 80s effects.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Four episodes from the finale, and we're playing Leisurely Traipse Through A Tertiary Character's Brain?

Edit: ok never mind, this scene with Bashir and OBrien admitting their bromance makes it all worth it

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 13, 2013

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Was walking through the mall earlier today, and noticed that the Continuum is apparently branching out into....women's clothing?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
If only all Star Trek fistfights could have been as well choreographed and intense as the one in A Matter of Honor. Could you guys imagine every DS9 fight scene being that good? :sigh:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

TOS actually had a relatively large budget, TMP had an insane amount of money spent on it, and TNG was a very expensive show when it was in production. Although interestingly, supposedly a very large proportion of the TNG episode costs were fixed; out of something like $1.5 million on average, they could only really play with about $200,000 of it, and the rest was already committed to cast and crew.

TMP's official budget is pretty much Hollywood accounting, though - it's including the costs of all the failed Star Trek projects that came before it, like the "Phase 2" series. It probably had more money to play with than the later movies, but not by the massive amount that the official figures make it look like it had.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Well yeah that too.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Farecoal posted:

If only all Star Trek fistfights could have been as well choreographed and intense as the one in A Matter of Honor. Could you guys imagine every DS9 fight scene being that good? :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

I remember noticing this immediately, first time, at eight loving years old goddamn

• Locked thread