Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Call Me Charlie posted:

If you have a Microcenter nearby, you can get a Dell Venue 8 Pro for $259.99

http://www.microcenter.com/product/422081/BELL8-PRO81_Tablet_Pro_8

I know where my next paycheck is going. I hope that goon who posted a less than favorable review got a bum unit. All the reviews I see on YouTube are overwhelmingly positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Stick100 posted:

Trip report from trying the T100 and the Surface/Pro. The new type covers feel really nice and I could actually see using one and not being annoyed. However the T100 keyboard felt incribly cramped and I would find it very hard to use. After using both I understand why MS went with that very odd aspect ratio for the surface models, it makes for much better pairing with a keyboard, but a worse portrait device. If I was planning on using a keyboard/cover more than 50% I'd suggest a surface, if less than 50% the T100 would be a fine device.

It's too bad because the T100 on paper seems like my ideal device, all it really needs is some way to spread the keys out a little more. (Maybe a dock that's wider than the tablet?)
I compared the T100 with an old netbook I have, and it actually is a little wider than the netbook keyboard (which, while still a bit cramped, is better than the T100 keyboard). The big difference, though, is that the netbook keys were much larger vertically, so I think it would be a lot more comfortable if the keys were just spaced out more vertically. Still works fine for me, but I have small hands, so I can see how it could be pretty uncomfortable for others.

Also, I haven't run into any issues with 2GB RAM myself. Win8 seems to use less RAM than win 7.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm still being skittish until some more reviews come out, but I can't really see a good reason to get a Surface Pro 2 over the Dell Venue 11 Pro. The top-model V11 (the one running on an i5 Haswell) appears to have roughly equivalent specs to the 128-GB SP2 and costs $150 less. I guess the build quality isn't quite as awesome, but it does appear to weigh a little less. All things considered, it seems to be an objectively better deal. Does anyone have any information contradicting me here?

(It's worth mentioning that I apparently can't figure out how to upgrade to 8GB of RAM through the Dell website, but I've heard that was an option that probably doesn't cost $1300 like the 256GB Surface Pro 2 does)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

loquacius posted:

I'm still being skittish until some more reviews come out, but I can't really see a good reason to get a Surface Pro 2 over the Dell Venue 11 Pro. The top-model V11 (the one running on an i5 Haswell) appears to have roughly equivalent specs to the 128-GB SP2 and costs $150 less. I guess the build quality isn't quite as awesome, but it does appear to weigh a little less. All things considered, it seems to be an objectively better deal. Does anyone have any information contradicting me here?

(It's worth mentioning that I apparently can't figure out how to upgrade to 8GB of RAM through the Dell website, but I've heard that was an option that probably doesn't cost $1300 like the 256GB Surface Pro 2 does)

I don't think you can really tell until the Venue 11 gets reviewed. Things like battery life can't really be assessed until then and battery life and the general feel and quality of the tablet are both pretty important.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I bought a Dell Venue 11 Pro (baytrail version) for a pretty good price, unfortunately i forgot to post about it here and i don't think the 10% coupon works anymore.

$489.99 - $48.99 (10% coupon) - $75 (bought $400 in gift cards, got a bonus $75 gift card) = $366. Also comes with another bonus 5% giftcard in 20 days, which i might use on the digitizer if they ever fix that.

Also got the tablet keyboard.

I'll post my thoughts when it gets shipped (i think december 2nd?)

Edit: Coupon code is ?T01ZCM31CSG4$ ... some people seem to still be able to use it though? Also, careful on using the $400 gift card thing, those are non-refundable.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 11, 2013

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

If I use the above thing of dell gift cards I can get the Dell Venue 11 for $475+Tax while I can also get the Surface Pro for $584.

Basically any suggestions on if the extra $100 is worth getting the Surface Pro?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Cerepol posted:

If I use the above thing of dell gift cards I can get the Dell Venue 11 for $475+Tax while I can also get the Surface Pro for $584.

Basically any suggestions on if the extra $100 is worth getting the Surface Pro?

Don't get the surface pro. But you should be able to get it for $366 if the coupon works (actually i dunno if you can use the full $75 bonus gift card unless you buy something extra, because it'd be $489.99-$48.99 10% coupon-$400 gift cards = $41, but maybe the extra sales tax will allow you to use the full $75).

Again, be careful with this, you cannot, i repeat, you cannot refund gift cards. Put the tablet in your checkout and apply the coupon before buying them.

Let Them Eat Cake
Jul 2, 2007

* Cake Not Included

keyframe posted:

I think the Surface pro 2 256gb version is a myth because not a single store has it. Apparently some stores here got like two units in total which sold in a day and haven't received any since then. What the hell is Microsoft doing?

I picked one of these up at the Renton Fry's Electronics just a few days ago (they had about a dozen of them in stock, and I can't speak for other Fry's locations).

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

My Venue 8 Pro with 64 GB of storage just arrived. I currently have 34.1 GB free out of 50.3 GB. I imagine that the missing 10 GB or so is dedicated to the recovery data.

First of all, Hi10P H.264 video works phenomenally at 1080p when using stock CCCP. The same videos don't play nearly as well on my stock 2013 Nexus 7 using MX Player. The video lags during high video activity but it's not so slow that a modest overclock couldn't remedy the problem. In any case, it looks like Bay Train does indeed have sufficient power to watch just about any anime fansubs in spite of their uncommon format and implementation.

Second, USB OTG works although it appears that 2.5" portable hard drives won't function without an additional power connection. Also, it seems that the USB port is strictly for charging and USB hosting. In that case, I would highly recommend anyone who gets this to also get a USB OTG adapter and a capacious thumb drive for getting data between computers without a local network.

Curiously, it appears that it will only charge with the supplied USB cable and can't even charge from a USB port on a computer. That fact is rather worrying because that means I have to carry that cable around if I ever want to charge the tablet and is one more thing I could lose. Plus, the cable looks like almost any other ordinary USB to microUSB cable so I'm sure it could get lost or confused as a normal cable and it puzzles me how and why exactly the tablet is picky about what cable its charging from.

Also, SlimPort adapters will not work. I don't have an MHL adapter but I have my doubts that it would work.

The screen is really nice despite being 1280x800. Though given all the scaling issues Windows 8 has, perhaps it's for the best. It's not nearly as sharp as my Nexus 7 but at least the desktop applications are of a decent size. However, Dell's cover for the tablet will not turn the screen off when you cover the screen with it.

The pen is a little weird to use since I've never used an active digitized pen before. It's nice for picking out stuff on the desktop. Regrettably, the pen's performance on OneNote is as bad as Let Them Eat Cake said. Fortunately, I only bought this for fooling around with but I concur that I would not use this if you needed good pen support on OneNote. Hopefully, the issue could be fixed with a driver or firmware update because it would be nice to have if my job required something like it or if I went back to school. On the other hand, I find that the touch performance is just fine as it is but then again I've only used it for a few hours.

Still, overall I'm happy with the Venue 8 Pro. Far better than the MSI WindPad that I got to fool around with the Windows 8 Beta. I don't even know what to do with that junker because it's so big, hot, and slow. When compared to the Nexus 7, it's a harder call. The Nexus 7 has far fewer quirks like the charging cable but just having full fledged Windows at your fingertips makes the Venue 8 Pro just as compelling despite those quirks.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

It's not the cable that's the problem. It wants a 10W/2.1A power source like the AC adapter included with the Venue. Any USB cable will work with that and it should also charge with any "iPad Compatible" adapter.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

Don't get the surface pro. But you should be able to get it for $366 if the coupon works (actually i dunno if you can use the full $75 bonus gift card unless you buy something extra, because it'd be $489.99-$48.99 10% coupon-$400 gift cards = $41, but maybe the extra sales tax will allow you to use the full $75).

Any particular reason against the surface pro? Also the reason is more expensive is because the coupon did not work and the Venue 11 is $50 more expensive in Canada. Those 2 points may be connected.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Cerepol posted:

Any particular reason against the surface pro? Also the reason is more expensive is because the coupon did not work and the Venue 11 is $50 more expensive in Canada. Those 2 points may be connected.

Oh, didn't know you were outside the US, in any case, at least from an American perspective, it seems like the venue's a better deal. You get more for less. Except maybe for a more 'premium' feeling to the casing on the surface 2.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

Oh, didn't know you were outside the US, in any case, at least from an American perspective, it seems like the venue's a better deal. You get more for less. Except maybe for a more 'premium' feeling to the casing on the surface 2.

Actually it should be less for less the Surface Pro 1 should outperform the Venue 11. It has a better CPU and more RAM.

At this point I'm leaning towards the Venue mostly because I like the non slim keyboard attachment. But the Surface should perform better so I'm torn.

Hendrik
Feb 5, 2009
Has anyone seen one of the Wacom Cintiq tablets (http://cintiqcompanion.wacom.com/en/?country=gb&language=en)? Aside from the drawing feature how do these devices compare against other Windows 8 tablets?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Wiseblood posted:

It's not the cable that's the problem. It wants a 10W/2.1A power source like the AC adapter included with the Venue. Any USB cable will work with that and it should also charge with any "iPad Compatible" adapter.

Except that as long as I used that cable, the Venue 8 Pro could charge (or at least indicate that it was charging) from just about any AC adapter including the ones I use for my phones. It would refuse to charge if I connected it to the supplied AC adapter with any other USB cable. :iiam:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Huh. I charged mine with the supplied adapter and a cable I had lying around. I actually still have the official cable still in its package.

Let Them Eat Cake
Jul 2, 2007

* Cake Not Included

Cerepol posted:

There are three real selling points for the Surface Pro.

1) The digitizer is flawless. If you want a tablet for pen input for notetaking or whatnot, you can't do better than this. I don't dabble in artistic input, so I can't speak to that, but these tabs have served me well in a university setting, have worked wonderfully for my wife (she uses one with a projector as a remote and portable smart whiteboard), and are great for my kids' home education (scan assignments into OneNote and they can ink them up). Scrapping the default pen and moving to a Wacom Bamboo Feel pen makes the experience even better (though you have to sacrifice "erase" functionality for scratchout gestures). For school use, I dare say there is no better tablet on the market: by the end of last quarter I had gone completely paperless between PDF copies of my textbooks and OneNote, and unlike paper notes which invariably get lost or mangled, my notes are forever and accessible on just about anything with a network connection (phone, other tablets, desktop, etc.). I actually imported the PDFs of the texts into OneNote proper so I could ink those up too ... not having to worry about ruining your $300 anatomy text is liberating.

2) The hardware is solid. Mine have been dropped onto hard floors countless times, been knocked off of lab benches, and one took a tumble 15 feet down concrete stairs with only a tiny ding in a corner to show for it. With the Complete plan that Microsoft sells for these things ($99 ... just do it), even if you do manage to frag your tablet it is only a $50 deductible for a new unit, and it covers everything from drop damage to taking it out back and feeding rounds into the screen.

3) The accessories and polish are nice. I tolerated the original keyboard covers, but the new type 2 covers are incredible. The flip out stand is handy, and the dual setting stand on the new models is quite slick.

The downsides:

1) They're heavy. Very heavy. You will not want to use one of these for casual walking-around use, regardless of how much you like the unit. My wife holds hers like a clipboard with the weight on her forearm, and invariably the rest of us lay it down on a flat surface to write (as I said, the selling point is the Wacom digitizer). I don't care how manly you think you are: you will not want to carry this around one-handed like an iPad.

2) The battery life on the Pro 1s only gave me about 4 hours of unwired usage. The new model with the firmware update pushes close to 9 hours of constant office usage (OneNote, Office, browsing, etc), but I'm sure that would decrease quite a bit if you're using it for video or gaming.

3) They're very expensive compared to the competition. Sure, you get a lot of sheer computing power for a tablet, but if you're using it primarily as a work machine is that power necessary? The cost/value proposition for me (with the Complete plan) was always "I know that this thing will work for two years, period" alongside the other considerations I mentioned above, but if you're not in need of the digitizer I can't see anyone picking one of these up over the competition's half-priced models (I don't consider the Dell option valid for notetaking: from what I gather the digitizer on the Venue 11 is identical to the Venue 8).

4) The proprietary charging connector sucks a whole bag of dicks. I understand why they did it (they charge incredibly fast with the 48W adapters), but the prospect of spending $60 on a car charger when they're released really sticks in my craw and there is no market competition whatsoever.

All told, we all love our Surface Pros, but only for use as work machines: I would never recommend one of these for casual use. When it's time to screw around, we invariably find ourselves reaching for either a Nexus 7 (the kids), an iPad (Mrs. Cake), or my desktop (Mr. Cake).

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Got a Venue 8 Pro as well the other day and been playing with it quite a bit.

Have some windows specific stuff for work, so I decided to blow the budget on one and check it out, to see if would be a feasible portable POS system, and so far it works fantastic.

No problems charging mine with any cables, as long as it is coming from a 2amp or higher supplier.

I was skeptical that desktop mode would work well on such a small screen, but my old windows apps actually translate to the touchscreen well. Teamviewer also works fantastic on an all touch device as well.

The onscreen number pad annoys the poo poo out of me, but thats a windows 8 thing.

Day 2 of playing with it and it is still at 20% battery. Never even charged it out of the box.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
On the asus t100 should i be able to hook that to a tv or does it require that special mobile hdmi support on the screen?

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Christobevii3 posted:

On the asus t100 should i be able to hook that to a tv or does it require that special mobile hdmi support on the screen?

It has a micro hdmi port for a cable hook up and it supports Widi/Miracast.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Tried it on my tv and guess am a idiot or don't get it. Just used the wii u for my gf's netflix...

NYFreddy
Feb 16, 2009
Did you set it to output via the HDMI? There's some more info here http://liliputing.com/2013/10/using-asus-transformer-book-t100-desktop-pc-video.html .

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Hmm tried that, will try again. I work on computers all day and go brain dead at 6pm when I get home

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
My surface RT doesn't work via HDMI unless I flip my TV to 59hz via the resolution settings (defaults to 1080p 60hz), I suspect it's because my LCD is a cheap generic type because when I plug my HTPC into it I have to force it to 1080p when it wants to do only 720P despite it being 1080p capable. So plug it in then mess with the resolution/refresh settings under advanced maybe, maybe you too have a poo poo/quirky LCD. Also turn off mirroring, try extending the desktop maybe.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

Got a Venue 8 Pro as well the other day and been playing with it quite a bit.

Have some windows specific stuff for work, so I decided to blow the budget on one and check it out, to see if would be a feasible portable POS system, and so far it works fantastic.

No problems charging mine with any cables, as long as it is coming from a 2amp or higher supplier.

I was skeptical that desktop mode would work well on such a small screen, but my old windows apps actually translate to the touchscreen well. Teamviewer also works fantastic on an all touch device as well.

The onscreen number pad annoys the poo poo out of me, but thats a windows 8 thing.

Day 2 of playing with it and it is still at 20% battery. Never even charged it out of the box.

God drat, I really wish it had video out, because it sounds perfect for what I want other than that.

NYFreddy
Feb 16, 2009

DNova posted:

God drat, I really wish it had video out, because it sounds perfect for what I want other than that.

The people over at pctabletreview have figured out soldering a resistor will let you trickle charge and use the usb port at the same time. If thats the case you can plug in a USB video card and have your video/sound out. Its definitely an ugly hack job at the moment though. I know the Lenovo can charge and provide USB functionality without any hacks and the other 8" tablets are bulkier but have built in HDMI....

NYFreddy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 13, 2013

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Day 3 trip report/mini review on my T100, which Amazon has back in stock (and the 64gb model is on sale for $379):

My use case: I am a business traveler who flies about 160k miles a year, domestic and overseas. So for me, priority number one is, how easy is my portable gear to use on planes and in hotel/conference rooms. So things like weight, battery life, and the time it takes to go from pulling it out of my bag to using it are all very important. In the past this means I've had to make some compromises, either by using a small, low-powered Windows device that was slower than dogshit or a tablet with its own ecosystem that separated me from the Windows environment my company uses, sometimes by a wide margin.

Also, I like to watch videos and play games, particularly when I'm on a 13 hour flight to Hong Kong. And ideally I'd like to be able to just throw a bunch of stuff on an external drive, install XBMC, and watch stuff that way without having to jump through a hundred hoops converting videos and the like.

Earlier this year I tried one of the Android Transformers - the Infinity, I think - but returned it. Android for tablets is getting better and XBMC sort of worked on it (it's getting better for Android too) but overall I still had to haul my Macbook Pro with me everywhere so there wasn't much point to it.

I also tried the Surface Pro 2 for a few days but that thing has too many compromises for me - it's a powerful beast, for sure, and battery life is much improved, but it's too heavy to be much of a tablet and too weird - stand, floppy keyboards, etc - to be much of a laptop. I'm sure it hits the sweet spot for some, just not me.

While I knew the T100 wasn't a "true" laptop/desktop replacement I was curious to see how close it would get. The answer? Much closer than I thought, actually.

CPU/General Speed: Well, the reviews aren't wrong - Bay Trail is the poo poo. In almost every case I have used it - opening MS Office docs, Outlook, Chrome, etc - "normal" PC stuff, whatever that means to you - it's pretty much indistinguishable from an i5 powered PC. Really impressive, actually. Yes, if you want to encode videos with Handbrake or open 1gb Photoshop files it's going to drag (although, in the former case, it still works) but overall it's a pretty speedy little beast.

Memory: Clearly 8.1 does a much better job of memory management than 7 because the only time I suspect this is a problem is when I have a ton of Chrome and/or Firefox tabs open. That said I would prefer to have 4gb but can live with 2.

Battery: As awesome as advertised. Also takes forever to charge, which I think is well known at this point - you really need to put it to sleep for it to charge effectively. On the flip side of this, the fact they are using such a small power adapter is a real weight savings, and microUSB means it can charge other stuff as well, reducing the amount of cables and crap I have to lug around. This is a trade off I can deal with.

Weight: I was surprised at how light this thing feels. My last tablet (I just sold it) was an iPad 3, which clocked in at a pound and a half. This is "only" a half pound lighter but it makes quite a difference.

This is the tablet itself, of course. The dock also weighs a pound, so clamshelled together it's a bit much to hold, but of course in this configuration you aren't meant to hold it so who cares. It's a shitload less weight in my bag then my Macbook Pro retina w/power supply is, which is a big deal for me and would be for you too if you had to haul said bag around a hundred different airports.

Gaming/Media: Haven't tried games yet but I understand older Source games and stuff like Starcraft 2 work really well on it. For media it's great - stock XBMC works like a charm, fast and smooth, and so far it's played everything I have tried, even high bitrate DTS stuff.

MicroSD slot: I was worried about this because I had read the card sticks out. However "sticks out" in this case means barely a millimeter; it also clicks in securely via spring-loaded slot. I was worried it was going to be one of those cheap card slots you sometimes find where you basically just shove it in and half the card sticks out but it isn't like that. Combined with the natural curve of the case it's not noticeable at all, doesn't catch on the inside of my bag, stays securely in place, and in general will work fine if you just want to use it as a way to get a "permanent" extra 64gb.

It's also quite fast - you can easily install and run apps off it, and playing media off it is cake. So bonus points there. I use a Sandisk 64gb class 10 card which you can get for $48 on Amazon if you are in the US; it gives me 24-30mb transfer rates.

Screen: As other reviews have said, it's an IPS panel and quite a good one at that. Doesn't look like a "cheap" screen at all. The lower resolution hasn't been a big problem for me - in fact, in Desktop mode, I prefer it because it's easier to read and perform touch operations. I like the 1080p screen the Surface uses but in Desktop mode text is way too small, and boosting it to 199% or whatever causes other problems. With this screen I set text to 125% and have had no problems. The Windows Desktop still isn't that great for touch operations, but that's a Windows problem across the board with tablets.

Using the Kindle app, if I am reading something and I hold the screen close to my face I can make out pixels that I wouldn't have on a higher res screen, like my old iPad 3, but holding it at "normal" distance it's not an issue for me.

Overall, I think it's a really decent screen, particularly for the price.

Touch Operations: Asus installs some additional "touch" software that drove me insane when I first started using it as it implements a very different set of gestures than stock - Windows 8.1 has improved touch support anyway so I wonder if this is just a legacy from the 8.0 release. Fortunately it's easy to disable and go back to stock operations. Supposedly it's 5 point touch, not 10, but I've yet to figure out why the latter is important and it hasn't been an issue so far. Touch works about as well as the Surface Pro 2 which is to say the hardware seems fine and Windows 8.1 still needs work in this area.

Lack of Pen input or active input/whatever: I don't care about this, not with a $400 tablet, but if you do you should get a Surface instead since I understand the Pen support with it is the bees knees.

Dock: I really like the clamshell approach Asus has taken with the Transformer line and this one is no different. It is far superior to the kickstand/type cover approach the Surface takes, in my opinion. It clicks together very easily - much improved from the Transformer I tried earlier this year, in fact, which required you to line up two little arrows and was a pain in the rear end - not so here.

Works well on airplane tray tables and regular tables. Love it. What I don't love is...

Keyboard/touchpad: Yeah, it's small. No kidding, right. I can deal with the keys, though they aren't great, but the touch pad is a tiny POS that clicks extremely loudly. Also Asus includes some stupid touch software for the pad too which also drove me nuts. Fortunately you can disable that (or disable the most annoying parts of it) and enable tap to click, which turns the pad from being an unusable POS to something that is barely tolerable but...yeah. Get a decent external mouse (I have the Logitech VX which is really nice for a portable mouse) and forget about the touchpad. The keyboard is usable, but small enough that I can see it driving some people nuts.

It's good for "light" email or "light" gaming or "light" computing, whatever the gently caress that means to people these days.

General build quality: For a $400 device that includes a dock, full Windows 8.1, and Office I didn't expect some work of art built out of a solid block of aluminum with chamfered edges, and I wasn't disappointed. The tablet feels solid for its weight - it isn't "creaky" and generally speaking it's built pretty well, but the back is a fingerprint magnet that is also slightly slick feeling. Also, I'd be terrified of dropping it - this is no Surface, which you could almost toss out of a 3 story window or have your fat friend sit on without worry.

The dock is pretty solid too, and the latching mechanism is very good, but on a flat surface there's a very slight "wobble" to it - I didn't find it to be flat out annoying, but it's there. I've read reports of lots of T100 with this issue so it's not just mine.

Ports: It's got micro-hdmi (note, not mini, but micro, because the fucks behind that standard saw 3 sizes where 2 would do), micro-usb, micro-SD on the tablet, and a full size USB 3 port in the dock. The latter powers my 2Tb portable Toshiba Canvio drive without issue, which is good because that's where I stick all my media for long trips. I wish it had another port since an external mouse is so essential with this when it's docked - I might check out the state of Bluetooth mice these days, since it has BT.

Finally, the power button is along the top left - out of the way when you hold it in landscape - and the volume and Windows buttons are on the left side, top. I rather like the latter placement, since it puts that button where your fingers would be when holding it landscape, rather than having it in the center bottom of the tablet like with the Surface, where it's completely, and inconveniently, out of the way.

And that's all there is to it. This post is too drat long as it is so I'll end by saying, so far, very impressed. It looks like it will meet my traveling needs quite nicely, subpar keyboard aside. All devices like this are going to have trade offs - this one has trade offs I can live with.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NYFreddy posted:

I know the Lenovo can charge and provide USB functionality without any hacks and the other 8" tablets are bulkier but have built in HDMI....

How much bulkier than the Venue is the Encore?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

MikeJF posted:

How much bulkier than the Venue is the Encore?

From my totally awesome OP

Venue = 8.59 x 5.12 x 0.35 inches, 0.87 pounds
Encore = 8.59 x 5.40 x 0.43 inches, 1.1 pounds

0.28 inches wider, 0.08 inches thicker, 0.23 pounds heavier

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 13, 2013

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
slickdeals had a deal on 64 gigs venue 8 pro for 300 earlier last week. so I took the plunge and bought one. I have to say I am very impressed with the performance of baytrail. It feels like a core2duo in terms of performance. don't know if that's because of win 8 or baytrail. Also the handwriting recognition is pretty amazing as well. I'm writing this post using just finger as a stylus and its very impressive that it can recognize my chicken scratch with about 90% accuracy. I'm still waiting for the active stylus to be delivered. It's even functional in desktop mode surprisingly

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Ixian posted:

And that's all there is to it. This post is too drat long as it is so I'll end by saying, so far, very impressed. It looks like it will meet my traveling needs quite nicely, subpar keyboard aside. All devices like this are going to have trade offs - this one has trade offs I can live with.

Thanks glad to hear it. I was really hoping the T100 would be my perfect device but was just too frustrated with the keyboard. From others it sounds like the issue is more the vertical spacing instead of the horizontal spaceing. I wounder if they could fix the issue with removing the track pad (as you have a touchscreen by definition) and making the keys fill the space, or if they could just make the dock a little bit bigger than the tablet.

It really seems like this device has much more potential than the Surface devices if they can just key the keyboard/touchpad a tad bit better. At this price with the dock and being able to do everything windows can do this is very compelling argument.

I hated W8 for a long time but 8.1 is starting to win me back. I'd love to go back to one ecosystem (I'm using/supporting Win 7, Win 8, OSX and Android right now and just ditched my last iOS device). Also I really wish MS would just get off it's rear end and make a Windows 8 (not WP8) phone even if it is RT and we could just get this done.

Windows 8 seems to work on 5 inch screen, and one UI/OS everywhere would really be awesome.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

DNova posted:

It does support miracast.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Stick100 posted:

Thanks glad to hear it. I was really hoping the T100 would be my perfect device but was just too frustrated with the keyboard. From others it sounds like the issue is more the vertical spacing instead of the horizontal spaceing. I wounder if they could fix the issue with removing the track pad (as you have a touchscreen by definition) and making the keys fill the space, or if they could just make the dock a little bit bigger than the tablet.

It really seems like this device has much more potential than the Surface devices if they can just key the keyboard/touchpad a tad bit better. At this price with the dock and being able to do everything windows can do this is very compelling argument.

I hated W8 for a long time but 8.1 is starting to win me back. I'd love to go back to one ecosystem (I'm using/supporting Win 7, Win 8, OSX and Android right now and just ditched my last iOS device). Also I really wish MS would just get off it's rear end and make a Windows 8 (not WP8) phone even if it is RT and we could just get this done.

Windows 8 seems to work on 5 inch screen, and one UI/OS everywhere would really be awesome.

For what it's worth I paired it with a Microsoft Sculpt comfort mouse (which is actually a pretty decent mouse in general, and doesn't require a dongle) and I find the combination quite tolerable. Sure the keyboard could use another half inch or so, and that's why Microsoft made the Surface the size it is, but that had a lot of trade offs too. I don't know how they are going to get this thing any bigger without making a bigger tablet, or I guess they could just say gently caress it and make only the dock bigger.

If I were a student or something and I needed to do heavy typing on this thing all over the place I could see how it'd be a problem - a Surface with it's active digitizer and halfway decent keyboard options would fit the bill there. Otherwise I suspect most will deal with it and accept what it does do well - mainly, be a kick rear end $350 tablet/dock combo.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The 64 GB version of the Transformer T100 dropped to $379.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFJ0HUE...XD9491P7PAHYQEN

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

It does support miracast.

Miracast is completely useless in the real world. I need to be able to connect to projectors in conference centers and lecture halls.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DNova posted:

Miracast is completely useless in the real world. I need to be able to connect to projectors in conference centers and lecture halls.

Cheap direct-connect Miracast HDMI dongles are starting to pop up, which is where Miracast might actually have a chance at survival.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Cheap direct-connect Miracast HDMI dongles are starting to pop up, which is where Miracast might actually have a chance at survival.

They're like $70-100 and require a power supply (or at least a USB power connection, which might not work with many tablets). The ones I saw on Amazon also tend to get fairly poor reviews. The last thing anyone wants is to get up to present something at a conference and have to gently caress around to try to get it to work.

It costs about $10 to get a micro-hdmi to hdmi adapter and an hdmi to vga adapter, neither of which require a power supply, and together will cover you anywhere you go.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
I'd love to have one of these tablets. If only they weren't so dang expensive.

Let Them Eat Cake
Jul 2, 2007

* Cake Not Included

DNova posted:

They're like $70-100 and require a power supply (or at least a USB power connection, which might not work with many tablets). The ones I saw on Amazon also tend to get fairly poor reviews. The last thing anyone wants is to get up to present something at a conference and have to gently caress around to try to get it to work.

It costs about $10 to get a micro-hdmi to hdmi adapter and an hdmi to vga adapter, neither of which require a power supply, and together will cover you anywhere you go.

The Netgear PTV3000 gets negative reviews mostly because people are too clueless to set it up properly. If you flash the newest firmware on it it works fine (~30ft range, connection stutters a bit if you have walls in the way or whatnot), and can take power via USB or a USB->120V adapter. With the old firmware it's a piece of garbage, but with the new one it works great. I got mine for $60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaygr
Jul 23, 2002

I was just looking for some opinions on whether or not I should switch to a Windows 8.1 tablet (mostly looking at the T100 right now).

I currently have an Ipad, which I believe is a 4th generation? It was whatever was the latest model around September of last year when I purchased it. I enjoy it in the sense that I love having a tablet and being able to use it on the couch or where ever. I guess what I mean is that I like it for the fact that it is a nice table and works pretty well, but outside of that I don’t think any of the reasons I like it are specific to the Ipad.

I find that 95% of the time I use it for the internet only. While I do have a lot of apps on there, I never find interest in using them. I think I may use the Facebook and Twitter apps just because I find it easier than using the webpages for those. I like a lot of the IOS games, but I have an iphone and find myself playing on there if I do any mobile gaming.

I’m intrigued by the idea of having full windows on my tablet. I’m fine with Windows 8 (run it on my desktop and I’m actually in the camp that enjoys it). I really like the idea of having Office on the tablet. But I am not a business traveler or anything like that, so I won’t be using Office constantly or anything, but often enough.

I’m also very intrigued by being able to use real desktop programs on the tablet. I can think of many low resource desktop games that I would like to play on there. I like the fact that I’d be able to install just the regular programs and not have to hope that a developer makes an IOS version or that the IOS version has the same features as the desktop version.

So all of that said, would I be crazy to trade-in/sell my year old Ipad to get something like the T100? Would that be like trading in a sports car to get a reliable mini van? I’m just not sure if it is one of those things where you would say yeah, a $380 Win 8 is good for what it is but it has nothing on an Ipad.

• Locked thread