Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

telugu murasu posted:

Any tips for making a banging 炒白菜? Is dried chili and Sichuan peppercorn the way to go?

My family cuts the napa into slivers and then fries up some chilis in the oil, tosses in the cabbage, and then adds vinegar to taste. For a non spicy kind they leave the cabbage in bigger pieces and toss into the oil before adding cabbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have advice on relatively easy Chinese dishes that aren't soups or stir-frys, and don't use pork/ham? I'm trying to get my wife more interested in Chinese food and she doesn't love stir-frying, and we already eat too many soups.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have advice on relatively easy Chinese dishes that aren't soups or stir-frys, and don't use pork/ham? I'm trying to get my wife more interested in Chinese food and she doesn't love stir-frying, and we already eat too many soups.

Dumplings?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Baozi?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Arcturas posted:

Chicken rice porridge. (It's not a soup, it's a slop.)

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 7, 2013

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

telugu murasu posted:

Any tips for making a banging 炒白菜? Is dried chili and Sichuan peppercorn the way to go?

Dice, rinse in water, oil, salt, a little MSG.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Arcturas posted:

Jiaozi with chicken or turkey.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Dumplings?

We've done a couple dumplings before, and they're mighty tasty, but they're kinda labor intensive. Hand-crafting twenty dumplings...

Specifically, we've done the steamed puffy wheat dough dumplings that you fill with either red bean paste or some sort of meat mixture, and the glutinous rice flour balls with red bean past in the middle that you coat in sesame seeds and fry. We call them both bao based on completely baseless memories of what take-out places in SF's chinatown called them.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Lamb is pretty good red-braised. Use the same recipe as you would for red-braised pork belly (hong shao rou) but use lamb shoulder or ribs instead. My wife loves it even more than pork 红烧肉 and she's Shanghainese (me I'm a pig guy all the way). One particular twist she does is add cubes of daikon radish for the last hour or so, they soak up flavour and get nice and soft and buttery :d

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

How about steamed fish? The Chinese love, love, love fish and steaming them whole is extremely popular. Scrape a suitable fish, score the flesh to the bone and sprinkle with salt and a little white pepper, a little rice wine or dry sherry, slivers of green onion and slivers of ginger and steam. It's difficult to time precisely when the fish is done, but even when it's a little overdone it's usually good. Often a ladleful of scorching hot oil is poured over the fish and aromatics.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's a good idea. Is healthy and the oil gives it a nice crisp.

Try dry noodle recipes. Generally they involve making and draining noodles then tossing then in some sort of savory sauce. Peanut-sesame-Chili-vinegar or something along those lines. And scallions.

Look at Northern foods in general. Less reliance on stir fry and more dry ingredients. The Northern Chinese can do about 500 things with just noodles and cucumbers.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Oh that reminds me of zha jiang mian, Northern Chinese noodles with meat sauce. goonswithspoons.com has a couple of recipes. Ground beef is no problem, the only thing that can be a hassle to get hold of is bean sauce (should be doable though.) It's an extremely tasty daily supper and I make it pretty often. It's so mundane I guess I just forgot about it.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
For some easy American food that's pretending to be Chinese (mainly for my extremely white SoCal friends when they come over) I use this General Tso's Chicken recipe. It's pretty drat decent, so long as you aren't expecting authentic Chinese food.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Food pictures! but this weekend Chengdu goons will go out for a goon meet, hopefully they can post some more pictures!

So I just met up with Meramjert yesterday in Shenzhen. We went to a Xinjiang restaurant called "Kitchen of the Shenzhen branch of the Autonomous Uighur Xinjiang Region Affair's Office". Basically, food for sellouts patriotic Uigurs :china:

Double left handers!

The Chinese name of this dish is known as DaPangJi 大盘鸡 - Big plate of chicken. Apprently it's signature Xinjiang food. The noodles are added at the very last minute. I find it a bit too spicy but goons know I am a pansy have delicate taste buds.

There was also a beef and potatoes but the beef wasn't really that great. I still never had any really good beef in China/HK/Taiwan. All in all, it was 150 RMB, that's like 20 bucks for 3 people including drinks. Unfortunately, my girlfriend is now suffering from some serious diarrhea - probably from eating too much gutter oil. Next time I hope to assemble 6 or more people and order a whole roasted lamb.

The other day MeramJert took me for some dumplings near his house. They were hand made on the spot, but best dumplings I ever had south of Beijing. No fancy fennel/lotus/lamb/beef but the price was dirt cheap.

It's a pretty typical cheap road side stall as you can see. Eating on top of a dirty styrofoam box and sitting on thoses tiny stools.

Jeoh posted:

I had no idea what soy sauce I have at home, turns out it's Pearl River Delta :( Forgive me, caberham.

:frogout:

That's ok, I will be stopping by the Netherlands June or March. If I'm going to be bringing a suit case full of instant noodles and black bean sauce, I will bring some soy sauce. But it's been 12 years since I have been in Amsterdam, so please take me to some awesome restaurants ok :waycool:

Sjurygg posted:

How about steamed fish? The Chinese love, love, love fish and steaming them whole is extremely popular.

:hfive:

Steamed fish is more of a Cantonese southern thing though. The tastiest ones are rare large deep water fish from the coast of Philippines South China Sea. I better stop telling the details or else Argle will cry.

So my girlfriend is a seafood devouring monster and my mom made 2 different kinds of fish.

Steamed - and at the very end lightly heated some oil and mixed with soy sauce to dropped a ladle of coating all over the fish.

Steaming is hard, you need a excel spread sheet and a timer for the right consistency. Plus you can't just steam any piece of fish, it has to be fresh. You can try fillet and black bean sauce as an alternative.

The next dish is salted carp. Chao Zhou style - 潮州乌头

It's the one on the bottom left. It's really easy, you don't even remove the scales. Just spread salt all over the fish, and once steamed just let it sit there or better yet have a fan blowing it. The meat will be nice and firm after resting and is perfect for dipping into some yellow bean sauce (豆瓣酱) doubanjiang. Can someone please translate?

Will give you the exact recipe soon. I'm more of a eater than cooker.

caberham fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 8, 2013

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Isn't 豆瓣酱 the spicy, salty Sichuanese type of bean sauce? I think 黄豆醬 yellow bean sauce is basically fermented soy beans (hence the name) and somewhat sweet - it's mostly used for zhajiangmian.

Best type of steamed fish is either barracuda (this is SO GOOD I ate half a barracuda the last time we had it and I'm normally not a huge fish eater) or 黄渔 (huang yu) which is a yellow kind of sea fish that looks ugly. Both have really good, fresh saltwater fish flavour. I'm much more reserved about various kinds of carp, I think they taste kind of grassy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sjurygg posted:

Isn't 豆瓣酱 the spicy, salty Sichuanese type of bean sauce?

Yes, and use it, it's umami as gently caress and I love it. It's sun-dried fermented broad beans smashed up with garlic and whole chilis. It's my favorite Sichuan sauce. Add it at the end of cooking for a very strong salty flavor or add it at the beginning to let it mellow and it has a very savory umami flavor. But still taste before adding salt.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 9, 2013

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Don't forget 羊 肉 串 when it gets warm enough to grill.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

InspectorBloor posted:

I found angry lady sauce today. It just took me a trip to 3 different supermarkets in 2 hours. This is a great day.

Btw, a high powered induction stove is awesome. Now I just need a new wok that doesn't cost me a fortune.

e: it seems I haven't seasoned old cast iron my wok properly.

So what do you use this for anyways? I've seen it at my asian grocer. Is it a condiment or an ingredient?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's everything you ever wished for. Laoganma :swoon:

(I mostly use it as a condiment)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Sjurygg posted:

Isn't 豆瓣酱 the spicy, salty Sichuanese type of bean sauce? I think 黄豆醬 yellow bean sauce is basically fermented soy beans (hence the name) and somewhat sweet - it's mostly used for zhajiangmian.

I have some chili garlic bean paste, or something along those lines. Is that the same thing? I tried making an eggplant dish with it and it came out awful. Just very salty and kind of burnt :sigh:. What's a good use for it?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jeoh posted:

It's everything you ever wished for. Laoganma :swoon:

(I mostly use it as a condiment)

It really really is - makes the goddamn best fried rice you'll ever eat:

http://www.xianease.com/2011-12-08-09-05-37/533-lao-gan-ma

I make the recipe above but I start with frying a diced chinese sausage til the oil comes out and fry the rice in that, plus I up the amount of blanched veg by at least 200% and also finish it off with some oyster sauce, fish sauce and a dash of dark soy. it is ridiculously good for something so quick and easy.

I use a slighlty different version:

but I hear they are all amazing.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Shnooks posted:

I have some chili garlic bean paste, or something along those lines. Is that the same thing? I tried making an eggplant dish with it and it came out awful. Just very salty and kind of burnt :sigh:. What's a good use for it?

That sounds like black bean garlic sauce. It's quite pungent and extremely salty, like all things black bean. I think it's best for adding to saucy stir-fried beef and lamb dishes (note: do not add any salt whatsoever). I like it particularly much, for some reason, in some Westernized Chinese dishes.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Somebody should have the "Bean Sauce Talk" again to basically go through which 醬 jiang4 is what and what they're used for. Oh and 醬 can also mean jam :B

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

EVG posted:

So what do you use this for anyways? I've seen it at my asian grocer. Is it a condiment or an ingredient?

Anything to do with eggs.

Also in congee! Laoganma is my friend.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What I've gathered from Chinese friends is you can use laoganma on/in the following things: food.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Found some laoganma at the 99 Ranch tonight, excited to try it.

Anyway, I'm currently marinating pork for char siu. Looking forward to it, although it's kind of a pain to slice up that loving pork butt, with all its random dangly bits. Anyone ever made decent char siu with just pork chops? They're a little more expensive but more convenient. I'm all excited to try the bao recipe from the wiki.

Didn't see any char siu at the 99 Ranch, but it was so drat busy there I couldn't get a good look.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I haven't used pork chops, but tenderloin is simple and is authentically used by real Chinese people too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I haven't used pork chops, but tenderloin is simple and is authentically used by real Chinese people too.

Sold! Now, do you need to slice up the tenderloin before you cook it, or is there a slower cooking method that might work with a whole tenderloin? I've got my pork butt all sliced up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Sold! Now, do you need to slice up the tenderloin before you cook it, or is there a slower cooking method that might work with a whole tenderloin? I've got my pork butt all sliced up.

There's no need to slice it up. I usually cut it in half because my oven is too small for a whole tenderloin but that's the only reason. I also score the surface thoroughly because I want lots of sauce gettin' into all those cracks.

I suppose you could cook it in slices but there's no reason to. Normally it's just baked as one whole thing.

Belly is the most common cut for it, try that too. Belly/shoulder/tenderloin are the main three.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

There's no need to slice it up. I usually cut it in half because my oven is too small for a whole tenderloin but that's the only reason. I also score the surface thoroughly because I want lots of sauce gettin' into all those cracks.

I suppose you could cook it in slices but there's no reason to. Normally it's just baked as one whole thing.

Belly is the most common cut for it, try that too. Belly/shoulder/tenderloin are the main three.

I almost bought belly but I'm not quite Chinese enough to just chow down on huge lumps of pork fat like that, except occasional awesomeness at a restaurant (like the loving pork belly tacos I got down in Austin, goddamn). Call me Jack Sprat because I like my lean.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I know it is a fairly complex, multi-stage fermentation . . . but does anyone have any good soy sauce recipes?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I used the angry lady sauce on gravity's ma po tofu recipe. The result was kinda ok, but I feel the whole thing is suffering from the fact that I have no idea *how* it should taste. Note to self: find a good chinese restaurant and try it.

Also, if you think that the given quantity of oil is too little: it's plenty, as the sauce itself contains oil. I took way too much, so I had to drink lots of wine. Which left me quite drunk and still horribly stuffed. That recipe is a protein shock, quite great if you work out I guess.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

InspectorBloor posted:

I used the angry lady sauce on gravity's ma po tofu recipe. The result was kinda ok, but I feel the whole thing is suffering from the fact that I have no idea *how* it should taste. Note to self: find a good chinese restaurant and try it.

Also, if you think that the given quantity of oil is too little: it's plenty, as the sauce itself contains oil. I took way too much, so I had to drink lots of wine. Which left me quite drunk and still horribly stuffed. That recipe is a protein shock, quite great if you work out I guess.

Ma Po Tofu is a weird one because I think every single cook who makes it makes it entirely differently.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I made the baozi tonight, it occupied pretty much the entire evening but goddamn there is nothing better than a fresh-baked roll right out of the oven filled with delicious pork.

Edit: yes, it is 12:30 a.m. here, I started working on this as soon as I got home tonight around 18:30. Still worth it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

InspectorBloor posted:

I dont recall there being a recipe for lao gan ma on my ma po recipe.

I do have a recipe for it though. Here: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spicy_Chili_Crisp_(Angry_Lady_Sauce,_Lao_Gan_Ma)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I made the baozi tonight, it occupied pretty much the entire evening but goddamn there is nothing better than a fresh-baked roll right out of the oven filled with delicious pork.

Edit: yes, it is 12:30 a.m. here, I started working on this as soon as I got home tonight around 18:30. Still worth it.

Aren't baozi steamed?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Can be both. Europeans in Asia brought along baking ovens when they set up their colonies/trading stations and it caught on. Baozi bought in the street or in markets are usually steamed, in bakeries they can be had baked. Not sure which one I prefer, I think I like the baked ones better with red bean or meat filling, the plain ones or the ones with greens in them I like steamed.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

GrAviTy84 posted:

I dont recall there being a recipe for lao gan ma on my ma po recipe.

I do have a recipe for it though. Here: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spicy_Chili_Crisp_(Angry_Lady_Sauce,_Lao_Gan_Ma)

But you have lao gan ma in the recipe, right? I'm confused. Did you just mean you need to add the recipe for the sauce, or that you don't want to have any of it in the recipe for the tofu?

Wait, some more failures coming up. In your recipe for the sauce you remove the black seeds from the flower peppers. So when I cook something that calls for sichuan pepperscorns, I should also discard the black seeds? Just the empty shells then?

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 12, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Fried baozi are the best, suckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

InspectorBloor posted:

But you have lao gan ma in the recipe, right? I'm confused. Did you just mean you need to add the recipe for the sauce, or that you don't want to have any of it in the recipe for the tofu?

Wait, some more failures coming up. In your recipe for the sauce you remove the black seeds from the flower peppers. So when I cook something that calls for sichuan pepperscorns, I should also discard the black seeds? Just the empty shells then?

No, there's no lao gan ma in my recipe for ma po. Maybe you're confusing it for doubanjiang (spicy bean paste)? They're pretty different. One is a fermented bean paste with spices. The other is basically chili oil with ground chiles and onion.

Yes, the hard seeds in flower peppers can make a dish gritty. Only use the seed's covering.

like this: