Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

MancXVI posted:

1. Electronics are easy. Worst case is you might have to buy new pickups and knobs (which you can do for like $50 on eBay). I'd be more concerned about the neck. Strings will cost ~$20-$30, setup at a local music store will be like $20.

2. Buy a drum machine instead. I tried Rocksmith with bass and it's great provided your favorite genre of music is "guitar hero".

Did you try the session mode at all? It seems pretty cool for just goofing around. Otherwise the song list is kinda eh, although there's a rush song and iron maiden so it's not all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
What are some good acoustic bass songs, if any, that a semi beginner could learn by ear?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Bone posted:

What are some good acoustic bass songs, if any, that a semi beginner could learn by ear?

I can't really think of any good songs with an acoustic-electric bass. For upright, maybe try dicking around with Walk on the Wild Side by Lou Reed (which you could learn on a fretted instrument I suppose).

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Bone posted:

If you're up for a challenge, try the Violent Femmes' first album. If not, something like Alice In Chains Unplugged.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrChu posted:

If not, something like Alice In Chains Unplugged.

Not trying to talk poo poo on acoustic (non-upright) basses, but every time I see one, all I can think of is something like that... Or like loving Mr. Big or Extreme's "More Than Words."

Just a bunch of long haired glam guys sitting around trying to show their deep, thoughtful side...

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Declan MacManus posted:

I can't really think of any good songs with an acoustic-electric bass. For upright, maybe try dicking around with Walk on the Wild Side by Lou Reed (which you could learn on a fretted instrument I suppose).
The bass on that is both electric AND upright, that's why it's SO AWESOME. Herbie Flowers played the same part on both instruments.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Juaguocio posted:

I can only offer the same caution that applies to all acoustic basses: no matter how loud they seem when you're playing by yourself, they will not be able to keep up with other instruments in a purely acoustic setting. My Tacoma Thunderchief could almost hang with one acoustic guitar, but not two, and it was the loudest acoustic bass I ever tried.

This is helpful. Thanks.

organburner posted:

2: How good is rocksmith at teaching bass anyway? I can't afford to get a teacher and kind of don't want to get one anyway (I do bad with teachers) and I'd be happy with only learning the basics.

I can't speak to Rocksmith, but the consensus around here is that Hal Leonard's Bass Method is the go-to book for teaching bass without an instructor: http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Bass-Method-Easy---Use/dp/0793563836/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384270962&sr=8-1&keywords=hal+leonard+bass+method I've been using this book myself for about a month now, and think it's a great value at $15.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
So I'm going to buy a new bass guitar very soon, most likely an Ibanez SR1405/SR1605. I've tried it out in person and I love it (handsome, light weight, Nordstrand pups are great), but it makes me curious about the next step of Ibanez basses, the SR5005. It's about $700 more expensive, and as far as I can tell the primary difference is in the fingerboard wood and the pickups, has anyone here played one and could give me some impressions?

I'm fond of Ibanez basses, but I did want to look at a deluxe Jazz or P bass. Unfortunately I couldn't find a single high end fender (or any brand) bass in any of my local music shops. I was actually surprised to find that SR1405 because otherwise it was a sea of low end squier, peavey, and Ibanez GIO basses (all fine in their own way, but not what I am looking for). I also looked at some Carvin basses but I don't really want to buy a bass I can't stand to look at, and those Carvin basses look very goofy to me. I'm considering making the 3-4 hour drive out to Denver just so I can try out some more basses before I buy anything, but this time of year I'm busy and the roads over the mountains aren't stellar.

Also please consider this an invitation to post about your fanciest, most excellent bass (copious pictures please).

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
If your budget allows, consider commissioning a boutique bass. My next bass is going to be a fretless Clement bass. My current one is fantastic, but I for it in a trade and I would really love to have an instrument that I ordered to my exact specifications.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
So having a headstock crack and separate around the nut isn't super uncommon and can be relatively easily fixed with a decent luthier... right? :(

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Scarf posted:

So having a headstock crack and separate around the nut isn't super uncommon and can be relatively easily fixed with a decent luthier... right? :(

That's where most of the breaks I've seen have happened (of course those tend to be on SGs which have a terrible scarf joint as part of the design). Good news is that crack is totally fixable because wood glue is like crazy strong. I can't vouch for whether or not there will be scars but any decent luthier should be able to stabilize it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Declan MacManus posted:

That's where most of the breaks I've seen have happened (of course those tend to be on SGs which have a terrible scarf joint as part of the design). Good news is that crack is totally fixable because wood glue is like crazy strong. I can't vouch for whether or not there will be scars but any decent luthier should be able to stabilize it.

Yeah, FedEx is to blame on this one...

I'm not too worried about having any visible repair marks, but since it's a '78 Ibanez lawsuit... chances of finding a good, cheap replacement neck are pretty slim. I'd like to keep it original if I can.

Edit: And it hasn't completely snapped off, so I'm wondering if it needs to be snapped off and re-set, or if I can just get some wood glue up into the crack myself?

Scarf fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 12, 2013

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

You're going to want to snap it off completely and reset it, because you want to maximize the surface to surface contact for the wood glue to work its magic. That joint is under a fair amount of tension.

Take it to a good luthier, you know that's the right answer.

Are those GHS Flats on there? Great strings for a P-Bass

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Doomy posted:

You're going to want to snap it off completely and reset it, because you want to maximize the surface to surface contact for the wood glue to work its magic. That joint is under a fair amount of tension.

Take it to a good luthier, you know that's the right answer.

Are those GHS Flats on there? Great strings for a P-Bass

Yeah, the problem is just finding one around here... You'd think there'd be one in a decently sized/popular city like Charleston, but everyone is drawing a blank.

Not sure, I think I originally shipped it to the guy with some Ken Smith Slickrounds. Maybe they're the original (now 3 year old) strings I sent it with. I have a set of LaBella DT Flats that are going to go on it as soon as it's repaired.

Backstory: This is a bass that's coming back to me after I regrettably sold it about 3 years ago.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Scarf posted:

Not trying to talk poo poo on acoustic (non-upright) basses, but every time I see one, all I can think of is something like that... Or like loving Mr. Big or Extreme's "More Than Words."

Just a bunch of long haired glam guys sitting around trying to show their deep, thoughtful side...

Yeah, they don't have much of a proud past, and pretty much all of them need to be plugged in to be heard, at least they sound different than a normal bass guitar.

He did ask for easy though, and those Unplugged albums usually have simpler arrangements so it should be easier to pick up the bass parts than in something like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrIBPpxgM5U
Also: whoa, Gordon got fat :btroll:

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Ericadia posted:

The Part B exercises in Bass Fitness would be a good place to start with fixing string crossing. I know it's painfully boring but do start at 60bpm on your metronome and slowly increase the speed after each run up and down the neck.

Andrew Pouska has a lesson about this on his website as well.
That's a nice little lesson. I like this:

quote:

•rhythmic accuracy
•tonal consistency
•dynamic balance (volume) between different plucking fingers
•dynamic balance between strings
•string muting technique between both hands
That's a good little reminder of what to focus on.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Rufus Reid's "The Evolving Bassist" has some good string-skipping exercises, and they're all open strings too, so you can concentrate on the technique without worrying about notes.
Hmmmm. Whenever I see a hand-written score, I know I'm in trouble. I steal rhythm exercises from drum books but I've never thought of looking at double bass books. That's a good idea.

Thanks guys, input much appreciated.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Scarf posted:

Yeah, the problem is just finding one around here... You'd think there'd be one in a decently sized/popular city like Charleston, but everyone is drawing a blank.

Not sure, I think I originally shipped it to the guy with some Ken Smith Slickrounds. Maybe they're the original (now 3 year old) strings I sent it with. I have a set of LaBella DT Flats that are going to go on it as soon as it's repaired.

Backstory: This is a bass that's coming back to me after I regrettably sold it about 3 years ago.

sc buddy! if you ever come up to columbia I might be able to get my friend to do it.

but he is old and grumpy and I kind of called in alot of instrument favors already.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

So I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Tube Composer I posted about earlier. $80 seems like a fair enough price for a rack compressor in spite of what some negative reviews saying the tubes aren't that great or something (I can always trade in some Groove Tubes from the old Blues Jr. to test).

From what I understand, I could probably use the compressor in live sessions to soften my attack and, more importantly, help sustain crucial notes. It also apparently gives me yet another hot out for direct input. I don't know what tone color I can expect from it, but I'll continue relying on the VT Bass. Maybe now my last space should be used for a power conditioner instead of a tuner.

Anyway if anyone has any advice before I go in, tomorrow afternoon, I'll be all ears :allears:

Spekhogger
Nov 13, 2013

Remulak posted:

The bass on that is both electric AND upright, that's why it's SO AWESOME. Herbie Flowers played the same part on both instruments.

EUBs are pretty awesome indeed, I have one sitting around in my room that I've been getting into and it's a drat good challenge if you want a departure from guitar.

And speaking of, my usual bass of choice is a utilitarian Ibanez six-string bass (SG 106 I think?) and another four-string of the same kind of model which was my first, but with the frets removed in the last year or so.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

He actually meant that one part was a double bass and the other part was an electric bass, not a EUB. Other than the Ampeg baby bass, I don't think there was a proliferation of EUB's in the 70s.

Spekhogger
Nov 13, 2013
poo poo, missed that but my point still stands.

EUBs are also good when you live in Florida or somewhere equally as god-awful humid where most classical instruments would crack. I remember hearing that's what made Jaco Pastorious trade in his acoustic upright for a fretless early on.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If you forced me to choose between a "real" upright and my NS NXT5 I'd take the NXT all day. It takes a little getting used to playing without being able to lean into the bout, but the tone once you put real upright strings on is great both pizz and arco, and I can shove the thing underneath the back seat of a minivan.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Alright, I think I found a good local luthier... got a recommendation off of TalkBass.

But I also have recommendations from some friends to very well established guys in Atlanta (apparently the guy who handles Jimmy Herring's repairs) and a dude in Asheville NC. So now I have to make a decision whether to stay local on a (albeit small) gamble, or outsource it to Atlanta or Asheville.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Scarf posted:

Alright, I think I found a good local luthier... got a recommendation off of TalkBass.

But I also have recommendations from some friends to very well established guys in Atlanta (apparently the guy who handles Jimmy Herring's repairs) and a dude in Asheville NC. So now I have to make a decision whether to stay local on a (albeit small) gamble, or outsource it to Atlanta or Asheville.

Ship your bass to a luthier to fix a problem caused by shipping the bass? Sounds questionable. Give the local luthier a call, ask if he's done that sort of thing before, and go with him if he doesn't answer "I have some Elmer's glue around here somewhere."

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

CaseFace McGee posted:

Ship your bass to a luthier to fix a problem caused by shipping the bass? Sounds questionable. Give the local luthier a call, ask if he's done that sort of thing before, and go with him if he doesn't answer "I have some Elmer's glue around here somewhere."

If I were to ship it, I would remove the neck and just ship that, thus reducing the size and weight and chances of it "falling" again... Along with 20lbs. of bubble-wrap. And that would only be if I went with the guy in Atlanta. If I decided to take it to the guy in Asheville, I drive up that way fairly often.

Yeah, I've talked to the local guy, seems like he knows his poo poo. Went to his site and saw a nice gallery of some of the work he's done: http://www.guitarrepaircharleston.com/Photo-Gallery.html Going to set up an appointment to go into his shop and check things out and get a proper estimate. Plus I'm hoping if he's legit he can help with the restoring of my grandfather's old uke.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 14, 2013

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, it looks like he should be more than capable of taking care of your neck. I hope the uke restoration consult goes well, he might be able to bring that old shell back to life!

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Scarf posted:

If I were to ship it, I would remove the neck and just ship that, thus reducing the size and weight and chances of it "falling" again... Along with 20lbs. of bubble-wrap. And that would only be if I went with the guy in Atlanta. If I decided to take it to the guy in Asheville, I drive up that way fairly often.

Yeah, I've talked to the local guy, seems like he knows his poo poo. Went to his site and saw a nice gallery of some of the work he's done: http://www.guitarrepaircharleston.com/Photo-Gallery.html Going to set up an appointment to go into his shop and check things out and get a proper estimate. Plus I'm hoping if he's legit he can help with the restoring of my grandfather's old uke.

what's the story behind this uke? Would like to learn more about it

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ericadia posted:

what's the story behind this uke? Would like to learn more about it

So would I!

Apparently it was my grandfather's. He passed away when I was like 4. My mom found it when they were cleaning out my grandmother's house about a year ago with her moving... My mom has no recollection of it, neither does my grandmother. But my aunt says she remembers him playing it with some buddies of his in a "band."

It's got some pretty awesome artwork on it. He's never been to Hawaii and wasn't in the service. My best guess is that maybe he had a buddy who was stationed in Hawaii who brought it back, or just someone who visited brought it back as a gift.

Few more pics:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Thinking about buying an Emperor 610 (15" not 18") used from 3 hours away. I have heard the emperor 410/115 in action but was curious if anyone else has had experiences with them and their thoughts! It will be paired with a v2-412 and played through a ampeg v4. Thanks!

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I've heard Brian Cook with his Emperor cabs live before, sounding face meltingly good

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Scarf posted:

So would I!

Apparently it was my grandfather's. He passed away when I was like 4. My mom found it when they were cleaning out my grandmother's house about a year ago with her moving... My mom has no recollection of it, neither does my grandmother. But my aunt says she remembers him playing it with some buddies of his in a "band."

It's got some pretty awesome artwork on it. He's never been to Hawaii and wasn't in the service. My best guess is that maybe he had a buddy who was stationed in Hawaii who brought it back, or just someone who visited brought it back as a gift.

Few more pics:

Fascinating, I'm digging the artwork on it which is why I asked (also I've never seen a uke in that shape). Is there a Misc/Stringed instrument thread in ML anywhere? Your uke posts inspired me to dig my great grandfather's banjo out of my closet and now I've got banjo questions.

edit: nevermind, theres a banjo thread!

Ericadia fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 15, 2013

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Dropped the bass off this morning with the luthier. Dude has a pretty nice shop set up, tons of woodworking/finishing equipment and machinery. Felt pretty confident after talking to him. He's going to try and use a syringe to get enough glue up in the crack, and then do some touch-up and finishing work around the crack itself. And if that doesn't work and it starts separating again down the line, we can talk about splints and such, but he didn't feel like that was necessary.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Glad that'll work out for you, those lawsuit era basses are really great.

The local kijiji in my city has someone selling a vintage SVT blue line for $1,250 CDN with case. I've never been so regretful about having responsibilities before.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Doomy posted:

Glad that'll work out for you, those lawsuit era basses are really great.

The local kijiji in my city has someone selling a vintage SVT blue line for $1,250 CDN with case. I've never been so regretful about having responsibilities before.

Yeah, I can't state enough how much I've missed this bass and glad I had the opportunity to get it back.

It's kind of funny, there was a guy there when I arrived also dropping off some instruments for repair. He had one of the Chinese counterfeit Gibsons (a double-neck SG)... After he left, the luthier made a little quip about working on TWO lawsuit instruments this week :P

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Doomy posted:

I've heard Brian Cook with his Emperor cabs live before, sounding face meltingly good

Jesus Christ this 610, rig pics soon.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Scarf posted:

I'm not too worried about having any visible repair marks, but since it's a '78 Ibanez lawsuit... chances of finding a good, cheap replacement neck are pretty slim. I'd like to keep it original if I can.

Are the heel dimensions different than the usual Fender neck pocket?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Is there any reason not to get a 5 strings as a first bass?

I can play guitar already, I'm just thinking of picking up a bass to learn. I'm leaning towards a squier vintage modified something, just because I like my CV 50s tele. It's hard not to think 'more strings = better than'.

Also, any amp recommendations? I'm only ever going to be playing at home. My wife might learn so we can play together - my guitar amp is a 4 watt AC4TV, so I'd want something comparable for bass.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
5 string basses are usually about an inch or two longer in scale than normal basses (which are much longer than guitars so you'll already have some stretching to do, coming from that) because they need to put extra tension in the low B string to keep it from being floppy. It often is anyway, though. They're also going to have wider necks and thus be inherently a little less comfortable to play.

Obviously this is all personal preference and if those things sound cool/okay with you then go for it!

edit: and of course the primary rule for all new instruments, try before you buy, applies doubly so here

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Macavity posted:

5 string basses are usually about an inch or two longer in scale than normal basses (which are much longer than guitars so you'll already have some stretching to do, coming from that) because they need to put extra tension in the low B string to keep it from being floppy. It often is anyway, though. They're also going to have wider necks and thus be inherently a little less comfortable to play.

Obviously this is all personal preference and if those things sound cool/okay with you then go for it!

edit: and of course the primary rule for all new instruments, try before you buy, applies doubly so here

I wouldn't say they usually have a longer scale. Most are 34", but it's far more common to find a longer scale on a 5 than it is on a 4. Realistically, getting a heavier B-string will make more of a difference than simply adding an inch to the scale length (based on playing an extended scale bass with standard gauge strings and playing a 34" with Circle K's).

It is a whole lot of extra neck to get around and unless you know that you really want to be playing a 5 string in the future I see no need to have to put up with more expensive strings. What kind of music do you like to play? If, say, you want to play Beatles songs your needs will be different than if you want to play modern gospel or doom metal.

I like the Acoustic B30 (though it was the B20 when I bought mine) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/acoustic-b30-30w-bass-combo-amp
Good price, big speaker, good tone controls, and it'll be more than capable of rattling your windows if you crank it up. I don't think I've played a better bass practice amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
So I want something with the flexibility of being able to play MIDI bass patches or regular bass sounds; mix them together, etc.

I saw the Industrial Radio MIDI Bass and it looks really cool: http://www.industrialradio.com.au/ but it's expensive as hell($4000 for the 4-string model)

I did some Googling and found this Bass to MIDI converter box: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sonuus-B2M-Universal-Bass-to-MIDI-Converter-105797088-i1521569.gc

Anyone use anything like that ever before? How reliable are they, and what would the benefits of going for something like the Industrial Radio MIDI Bass be versus just using a P-bass and that converter?