Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

It turns out that a Kitchenaid (or similar decent stand mixer with a wire whisk, presumably) will crank out evenly-roasted coffee if you just dump a pound of beans into it and stand there sticking a heat gun into the bowl for around 20 minutes. No apparent discoloration or damage to the mixer. It will be nice to rest my stirring arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragonWC99
Nov 4, 2004
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but, right now JC Penny is running clearance on all their Bodium products!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-11/j-c-penney-pulls-bodum-brand-from-website-after-lawsuit.html

I just got a burr grinder for 40 bucks after tax! it was 70% off and the cashier took an extra 10% off since it was the display. These retail for $130 at the store or $114 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0043095WW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384091805

Fantastic price if you are in need of a grinder or a french press, vacuum pot, double walled cups, or thermos.

http://www.jcpenney.com/coupons

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I might have to snag some cups. Their double wall glass cups are my go to ones. I have them in the 10oz and espresso sizes. They hold heat super well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Loucks posted:

It turns out that a Kitchenaid (or similar decent stand mixer with a wire whisk, presumably) will crank out evenly-roasted coffee if you just dump a pound of beans into it and stand there sticking a heat gun into the bowl for around 20 minutes. No apparent discoloration or damage to the mixer. It will be nice to rest my stirring arm.

Awesome idea! I might have to try it out soon.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

drat, I really want some of those cups but with the gas I'd spend to get to the nearest jcpenny, I might as well order from Amazon!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

drat, I really want some of those cups but with the gas I'd spend to get to the nearest jcpenny, I might as well order from Amazon!

You definitely want them. They work and look equally awesome.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Awesome idea! I might have to try it out soon.

Do. It's awesome. Be forewarned, the basic Wagner heat gun that's popular around here won't get it done if you don't stick it right down in there or move it around too much. I pressed the little metal loop on the top of the gun against the cover for the meat grinder port so the nozzle just cleared the wire whisk and it worked beautifully. I want to whip up some sort of removable hanger so I can just attach the gun and do dishes or something when it roasts, but :effort:

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
RE: that Bodum grinder. I have been using that for about a year for a drip grind, however I realize that the grind isn't consistent throughout at all. Does anyone else have experience with the grinder? What should I get next if this one breaks on me?

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Bobx66 posted:

RE: that Bodum grinder. I have been using that for about a year for a drip grind, however I realize that the grind isn't consistent throughout at all. Does anyone else have experience with the grinder? What should I get next if this one breaks on me?

The answer is always Baratza.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Astronaut Jones posted:

I've been really happy with my Virtuoso. I don't have an espresso set-up and couldn't justify the cost of a Vario.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

For drip, the Baratza Encore or Capresso Infinity would be good and both are probably cheaper than what you paid for the Bodum.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Loucks posted:

Genius. I'll have to try this out. Have you tried it yet? Any results to report?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Sacrilage posted:

Genius. I'll have to try this out. Have you tried it yet? Any results to report?

That post was my report. No photos, but I roasted 16oz to the start of 2nd crack effortlessly. The only real issue was that the mixer is pretty noisy. It was delicious. My mother in law tried it and failed, but it turned out that she was moving the gun and had the mixer stirring way too quickly. Her subsequent efforts were successful. I plan to roast again this morning and intend to attempt a bigger batch.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Astronaut Jones posted:

My first Baratza had the knob missing, second worked until my gf broke it, third one won't stop grinding until you pull the plug if you dare touch the pulse button, fourth one's has been calibrated all fuckily and is way too fine at the finest setting and not-quite right at any other setting except coarse french press grinds.

I really loved the second one because it worked as expected for 9 months but all the other ones have been lemons.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cold brewing coffee. Please excuse the grind, it's from a crummy old burr grinder I got for free while I wait for a refurb Baratza sale.

So you see the larger grounds at the bottom and a layer of finer grounds on top of it, and then the majority of the coffee on top of that. At the very top is a layer of light brown liquid. What is that?

Edit: looking more closely there are two distinct layers of light brown

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 12, 2013

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

newreply.php posted:

My first Baratza had the knob missing, second worked until my gf broke it, third one won't stop grinding until you pull the plug if you dare touch the pulse button, fourth one's has been calibrated all fuckily and is way too fine at the finest setting and not-quite right at any other setting except coarse french press grinds.

I really loved the second one because it worked as expected for 9 months but all the other ones have been lemons.

Yikes. I can only speak from my personal experience, but I bought my vario used and it's got at least 3 years on it without issue.

That being said, I hear their customer service is awesome so I hope you got your issues worked out by Baratza.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Cold brewing coffee. Please excuse the grind, it's from a crummy old burr grinder I got for free while I wait for a refurb Baratza sale.

So you see the larger grounds at the bottom and a layer of finer grounds on top of it, and then the majority of the coffee on top of that. At the very top is a layer of light brown liquid. What is that?

Edit: looking more closely there are two distinct layers of light brown

It's the oils from the coffee that have risen to the top.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sooo.... since oils get lost in paper filtering, should I ladle that aside, filter my coffee and put the oils back in or is that being stupid and fiddly

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Loucks posted:

Do. It's awesome. Be forewarned, the basic Wagner heat gun that's popular around here won't get it done if you don't stick it right down in there or move it around too much. I pressed the little metal loop on the top of the gun against the cover for the meat grinder port so the nozzle just cleared the wire whisk and it worked beautifully. I want to whip up some sort of removable hanger so I can just attach the gun and do dishes or something when it roasts, but :effort:

Next time snag some photos too :) I will double check the wattage of the heat gun that I borrowed from my dad.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Stupid and fiddly is the name of the game when it comes to enjoying a coffee hobby. Try it out and report back!

I am personally convinced that all of my favorite flavors dwell in the oily part.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

Sooo.... since oils get lost in paper filtering, should I ladle that aside, filter my coffee and put the oils back in or is that being stupid and fiddly

Just stir it up with a spoon to remix. Makes for a more consistent brew.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
nm

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 13, 2013

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Loucks posted:

That post was my report. No photos, but I roasted 16oz to the start of 2nd crack effortlessly. The only real issue was that the mixer is pretty noisy. It was delicious. My mother in law tried it and failed, but it turned out that she was moving the gun and had the mixer stirring way too quickly. Her subsequent efforts were successful. I plan to roast again this morning and intend to attempt a bigger batch.

Looking forward to hearing about the results. Any idea what type of beans you're going to use?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I do my cold brew in my french press to leave in the oils.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I got cups, at a discount, yo

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What's the point of the double wall when it has the handle right there?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

What's the point of the double wall when it has the handle right there?

Keep the liquid warmer for longer, I'd imagine.

edit: plus they look cool

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 13, 2013

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Happy birthday to me! Thanks to my beautiful fiancée, I finally got a real grinder that I've been lusting over for years. I've only had it a week but I'm really happy with the grind consistency and range.

Time to order some more coffee.

I also came across that JCP sale for and bought a friend a stainless French Press as a wedding gift and an extra carafe for my French Press because we all know it's going to shatter sooner or later.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jimguldi/worlds-first-roast-grind-brew-coffee-machine?ref=live

Seems interesting. No rest time for degassing. It is the first question in the Q&A and it seems like they completely dodge it?

I'm interested.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bobx66 posted:

Seems interesting. No rest time for degassing. It is the first question in the Q&A and it seems like they completely dodge it?

It sounds like they are saying that they asked around and were told basically the same thing by everyone, but they think the machine makes good coffee anyway.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

They claim that the ventilation system will ensure degassing but they don't appear to understand that it is a many hours process.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That is like building a chicken coop that automatically boils the eggs for you. And when the chicken dies there's nothing you can do except send it in for warranty service and they'll put a new chicken in there.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Has anyone tried making coffee with beans that weren't degassed to see for themselves what difference it makes?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've used beans only an hour or two after roasting and the coffee was perfectly fine. For most people the variables in their brewing probably make a bigger difference than the degree of outgassing.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Shugojin posted:

They claim that the ventilation system will ensure degassing but they don't appear to understand that it is a many hours process.

Having read this and using my just roasted beans then tasting them less than 12 hours it's hard not to notice a difference in taste. Sure maybe some might hold up in that time but I can't imagine many do.

I'm curious how anyone could get 15,000 beta tests though. That's unreal. The time involved for that and compiling that data is so much I can't even imagine sorting through that.

Edit ^ guess someone can always prove me wrong.

MasterControl fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 13, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Steve Yun posted:

Has anyone tried making coffee with beans that weren't degassed to see for themselves what difference it makes?

I've made coffee 3 hours after it was roasted. Tastes good but I think it's better after a day. There is a significant difference between 3 hours and 3 days later and I'll always prefer the latter.

withak posted:

I've used beans only an hour or two after roasting and the coffee was perfectly fine. For most people the variables in their brewing probably make a bigger difference than the degree of outgassing.

One of my favorite parts of roasted coffee is the amazing smell. When it's roasted that fresh it still just smells like grass and that sucks.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Marco Arment had a good list of reasons why this their machine is likely a bad idea. Ventilation seems like a big issue (beyond the lack of degassing time, that is.)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I make coffee all the time without degassing (often still warm from the roast) because I'm really bad at remembering to roast coffee when I run out. I just allow an extra long bloom time. It's not optimal but it is still good.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Steve Yun posted:

I've made press within minutes of roasting, and pour-over, without issue. Just understand there's going to be massive bloom.

I've also attempted to pull espresso a couple of times with durations post-roast of minutes to 4-6 hours. Not good. I call what it does "sharp", and I believe Porktree said at one point that what you're actually creating with the heat and pressure of an espresso machine is carbonic acid by forcing the CO2 into solution.

Related to this, I've had very good experiences with the one-way tins that Sweet Marias sells. I have one bean that really needs to rest for as much as 3 to 5 days before it settles down from the "sharp", and the tins let them do this without losing as much of their aromatics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I grant that I have not yet had the opportunity to do a near-immediate brew from beans because I don't have a home roasting setup.

The whole system sounds like it'll be a pain from what I know, especially the smoke and chaff/oil buildup people mentioned. The fact that it is a very small amount of beans for one brew compared to what you normally roast will help with the smoke of course since it's just plain less stuff to make smoke with but I don't know how much.

The only roasting I have personally witnessed is on a giant old Probat and so I have no idea how much smoke a single brew would make!