Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

slidebite posted:

me prior to about a month ago

So during tertiary study my father (self made business man) would hound me on the importance of learning to 'manage money' and how that is more important than earning it. Yeah whatever Dad; very conscious of the fact Dad never had to go through the rigors of undergraduate Uni. Then my professional career started and it consumed all my effort and brain cycles, again Dad would tell me that I really needed to get a handle on how tax works and how to put the money I was making to work for me. Seriously Dad, I'll get to that.. right now what is important is learning this next step in my career and landing this next role.

Only now, in the last month, as I am on a long holiday overseas and have quit my job to take a step goddamn back from that treadmill have I had the time to really learn and understand personal finance. I get it Dad, you were right all along.. but it's some heavy poo poo to wrestle with on top of the corporate machine. I'm sure this is a universal experience for all our countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
I'm not sure the name makes a difference. Those that don't realize a TFSA can be something other than a savings account probably couldn't tell you what the P in RRSP stands for. The same people who say they are going to buy RRSP's not realizing it is not possible to "buy RRSP's". Even if it was a Tax Free Savings Plan, banks would still push their savings accounts.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I think the ignorance is pretty common. I mean, I was very financially interested and paid off 30k in debt over two years of concentrated effort and research but didn't know that an RRSP was a holder of investments available from brokers and poo poo and not just an account that I open with a bank somewhere until my thread explained it to me. I also thought that the TFSA was just a higher-interest savings account because that was how it was advertised by ING and other banks.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

tuyop posted:

I think the ignorance is pretty common. I mean, I was very financially interested and paid off 30k in debt over two years of concentrated effort and research but didn't know that an RRSP was a holder of investments available from brokers and poo poo and not just an account that I open with a bank somewhere until my thread explained it to me. I also thought that the TFSA was just a higher-interest savings account because that was how it was advertised by ING and other banks.

I think the takeaway here is that people need to stop solely relying on what their bank tells them when it comes to financial advice.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Kal Torak posted:

I think the takeaway here is that people need to stop solely relying on what their bank tells them when it comes to financial advice.

No poo poo. So many people have this wonderfully quaint notion that banks are fonts of sound financial advice, and stewards of their customers' financial future. Nothing could be further from the truth.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Kal Torak posted:

Absolutely. People are so hypocritical. We all say we hate banks as money grubbing, milk as much out of you on fees as they can scum, yet so many people are happy giving them 5-6 figures of money and say "please do something with it." :downs:

Some bankers and consultants might genuinely good people and try to do whats best, but someone here (lexicon?) recently said, very appropriately, that "it is their job to make your money their money" and that's what it really comes down to.

Even in the past weeks going over this thread with you folks here is really giving me a drive to move to self direct accts and as my low-loads come off my funds to move to ETFs.

Kal Torak posted:

I'm not sure the name makes a difference. Those that don't realize a TFSA can be something other than a savings account probably couldn't tell you what the P in RRSP stands for. The same people who say they are going to buy RRSP's not realizing it is not possible to "buy RRSP's". Even if it was a Tax Free Savings Plan, banks would still push their savings accounts.
I know what you're saying, but respectfully I disagree. I might be biased though because I was one of those people up until around 4 years ago. I knew pretty well what an RRSP was but genuinely thought a TFSA was some sort of high interest savings account and didn't really see the point. I only knew what I saw advertised and didn't have the urge to dig into it because how I saw it advertised=my understanding of what it. But I do know I wasn't alone.

That was one good thing my RBCDS guy did was wake me up to the potential and for that I am grateful.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 9, 2013

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
The truth is that most people do not ever deal with the investment/discount brokerage units of their bank and trust whatever the under-qualified lady at their branch bank says. If you go into TD Canada Trust and ask to open a TFSA, they will open a TFSA account in which you can "save" your money. It is strategically advantageous to them, as they will take your dough, pay you essentially nothing for it, charge you fees, and use your money to make real money for them . They see the TFSA as a way to increase deposits.

This is disingenuous, but as we've discussed, that's what you get for trusting the nice lady at the bank.

Also, you only need to educate yourself to a pretty basic level of understanding to be more qualified than anyone who works at a branch bank with regard to how your money should be invested. The cost of not doing that is your financial future in many cases.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Saltin posted:

It's a lot more sophisticated than that. In a non-sheltered account, taxable gains are taxed at an inclusion rate - essentially you only pay tax (at your marginal rate) on 50% of the gain you have realized. You can also write off your losses against your gains, which you cannot do in a TFSA or RRSP, for example. Finally, qualifying Canadian dividends are taxed at a very low rate (relative to most people's marginal rate) as well.

The truth is that even in a non sheltered account, there are all sorts of tax benefits to be had.

I won't go into the formulas unless someone is interested in it, but I wanted to add a few points to expand on your statement that "it's a lot more sophisticated than that." There are some other considerations in your investment vehicle choices

-Fees and related charges can be deducted as either carrying charges or reductions in the capital gain in unsheltered accounts. If you have a mortgage or other personal debt, various tax planning opportunities exist.
-the tax impact on capital gains only arises on disposition. This means that your growth rate isn't reduced by tax, but your principal to reinvest at the time of sale is. If you have something like bank stocks that you plan to hold for 20 years this can have a significant effect on our effective growth rate.
-Tax only being due on disposition allows for tax smoothing, reducing your gains in good years and increasing them in bad to equalize your taxable income. This can result in savings due to progressive tax rates.
-dividends in unregistered accounts increase your taxable income beyond the actual cash received, possibility impacting OAS and eligibility for other government services/assistance for seniors.
-If you are a high income earner contributing to RRSPs during your working life, the tax effects act like a weak hedge against poor investment returns in retirement.
-If you have multiple options in where you draw retirement income (RRSP, TFSA and unregistered), you can manage income and by extension your tax rate more effectively.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

My girlfriend has has an RBC Classic 2 Visa that costs $35/year. I think she got it 6-7 years ago while a student and the fee was waived. She'd like to stop paying a fee for a mediocre card. The internet says to keep your oldest credit card open, if she switches to a no fee card, does it still count as being a 6 year old card?

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
On the subject of credits cards: I pay my whole balance every month. The bank just offered to double my borrowing limit. If I did increase my borrowing limit and continued to pay off my balance would that help or hurt my credit score? There are no additional fees.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

On the subject of credits cards: I pay my whole balance every month. The bank just offered to double my borrowing limit. If I did increase my borrowing limit and continued to pay off my balance would that help or hurt my credit score? There are no additional fees.

Uh, no. A component of your credit score is the ratio of your available credit and your outstanding credit. So if you have a balance of $500 on a $1000 credit card and that's your only credit, it hurts way more than if you have $500 on $15000 of credit. Increasing your limit without increasing your balance can have a positive effect on your credit score.

Someone's going to say that it's bad news if you get your CC stolen and someone charges a new Kia to it or something, but I think you can't live in fear of that poo poo.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Kreez posted:

My girlfriend has has an RBC Classic 2 Visa that costs $35/year. I think she got it 6-7 years ago while a student and the fee was waived. She'd like to stop paying a fee for a mediocre card. The internet says to keep your oldest credit card open, if she switches to a no fee card, does it still count as being a 6 year old card?

No, that will most likely be a new account.

I don't know that I would put a ton of stock in that advice. I keep my oldest card unused and around because it's free, but I certainly wouldn't pay $35 for the privilege.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I also read that closing accounts doesn't affect your score that much. Like a couple dozen points, max, and that it only lasts six months or so. If you're not trying to buy a house or car in the next six months, and what I read is correct, then it's not a big deal.

\/\/ Yeah that's true, they don't want you defaulting if you max all your credit out at once. Is there any easy way to figure out the ideal amount of credit to have to maximize your score and also borrowing ability?

tuyop fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 10, 2013

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

tuyop posted:

Uh, no. A component of your credit score is the ratio of your available credit and your outstanding credit. So if you have a balance of $500 on a $1000 credit card and that's your only credit, it hurts way more than if you have $500 on $15000 of credit. Increasing your limit without increasing your balance can have a positive effect on your credit score.

Someone's going to say that it's bad news if you get your CC stolen and someone charges a new Kia to it or something, but I think you can't live in fear of that poo poo.
Having a lot of unused credit in some form can be a problem though if you want to get a car loan or mortgage. Creditors look at your score, income, assets and other factors including total available credit from other sources to determine how much credit they can offer you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lexicon posted:

No, that will most likely be a new account.

I don't know that I would put a ton of stock in that advice. I keep my oldest card unused and around because it's free, but I certainly wouldn't pay $35 for the privilege.

Agreed. Even if she does take a small score hit (which is not definite), she's going to have to cut the cord eventually.

In the interest of science, she should pull her FICO now before she cancels it, and do it again in 6 months or so and see if there is any change. I'd be curious to know.

I have about 4 Credit cards, but 1 of them I never use but I keep it open for the same reason as you mentioned, it's my oldest card and I've had it since the mid 90s. It doesn't cost me anything though so :effort:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

tuyop posted:

Is there any easy way to figure out the ideal amount of credit to have to maximize your score and also borrowing ability?

The FICO algorithm, if you can call it that, is proprietary. No one not encumbered by heaps of NDA documentation knows the full details. Most of these 'best practices' have been gleaned through inevitable but small leaks, the application of common sense, and a good healthy dose of urban legend.

Think about it from a creditor point of view: they want to be lending to people with steady income, reliable residency, a history of responsible use of revolving credit, no delinquencies, closed accounts ended on good terms, and with a 'reasonable' level of credit utilization (too low and its easy to hide insolvency for a while - too high and they might run into liquidity issues). Meet a large subset of these items, and I don't reckon anything else really matters much.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I agree with all the other posters.

I mean, if she's like 20 years old it might have an impact, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it, and I certainly wouldn't pay $35 for what's not going to amount to a lot of points on a credit score.

Mickles
Feb 12, 2008
Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies.
This thread was the kick in the rear end I needed to start taking charge of my finances. I got my RRSP moved to a much cheaper fund that more or less follows an index, and I finally opened a TFSA. As good as the e-Series is, I just went with ING Streetwise for the sake of easy. Perhaps as I read and learn more, I'll eventually make the move to e-Series like a big boy.

Speaking of e-Series, I swear I read at one point that they were looking to make it more convenient to open an account than the current process. Who knows if that'll happen, but it'd be nice.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mickles posted:

This thread was the kick in the rear end I needed to start taking charge of my finances. I got my RRSP moved to a much cheaper fund that more or less follows an index, and I finally opened a TFSA. As good as the e-Series is, I just went with ING Streetwise for the sake of easy. Perhaps as I read and learn more, I'll eventually make the move to e-Series like a big boy.

Speaking of e-Series, I swear I read at one point that they were looking to make it more convenient to open an account than the current process. Who knows if that'll happen, but it'd be nice.

How much is easy (read: saves you two or three hours now and an hour twice a year for the rest of your life) worth to you?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

tuyop posted:

How much is easy (read: saves you two or three hours now and an hour twice a year for the rest of your life) worth to you?

Few more hours and suddenly you're looking at realistic ways to retire early. OK DAD, YOU WERE RIGHT.. dammit. loving olds and their wisdom and poo poo..

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Mickles posted:

Streetwise is a good start, but it costs 3X as much in fees. I recommend that most people go straight to TD, honestly.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Dumb question. My RSP is now converted to an e-series ready account. What is the best way to move my money from the mutual fund that it is in. Do I have to switch from the 1 fund that I have and just do it 4 times to move 20% to one of the e-series and so forth?

And it seems like redeeming the fund sells it off then transfers it back into my chequing?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 26, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Funds bought on no load can take years to get out without penalty, so you'll want to check on that too.

I know that's an issue with mine, but I'm not yet sure what the penalty is to know if it's worthwhile just paying it or not. That MER adds up over a few years too.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

slidebite posted:

Funds bought on no load can take years to get out without penalty

Are you loving serious?

Can you point me towards a prospectus of a fund with that property? I thought I had a good handle on ripoff financial products, but this is a new low.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I asked in the other thread but didn't get a response.

When we talk about 'buying bonds' as a low risk element in our portfolio, are we saying actually buying bonds or just a bond indexed ETF? Why?

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Tony Montana posted:

I asked in the other thread but didn't get a response.

When we talk about 'buying bonds' as a low risk element in our portfolio, are we saying actually buying bonds or just a bond indexed ETF? Why?

Index. Diversification.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Saltin posted:

Index. Diversification.

Either I'm misunderstanding you, or you're misunderstanding me. Why we buy bonds is a fundamental, but why the index rather than actual bonds? Liquidity? As it's a exchange traded stock you can sell out your position very quickly. Or do you mean diversification and in an index fund that indexes a combination of bonds - corporate and government, perhaps even different government's bonds - all further diversifying the position?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tony Montana posted:

Either I'm misunderstanding you, or you're misunderstanding me. Why we buy bonds is a fundamental, but why the index rather than actual bonds? Liquidity? As it's a exchange traded stock you can sell out your position very quickly. Or do you mean diversification and in an index fund that indexes a combination of bonds - corporate and government, perhaps even different government's bonds - all further diversifying the position?

I think he means the second one.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Tony Montana posted:

Someone else can explain it better but a bond fund has preferable characteristics over individual bonds. Not just diversity (which is very important as bonds can be wiped). But a bond fund also includes a large number of bonds with different maturity dates and lengths giving it other benefits.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Alright so I was looking for market-indexed funds where I already bank, and I found this one that seems a little weird. Am I understanding this right that if the market goes down 5%, they pay out at an higher rate than if it doesn't?

Right now, my RSP have a 2.35% management fee so I'm kind of looking into moving to something with a lower expense; I'd rather not move to a different institution. Their market funds seem pretty good, but I'm a bit iffy about the 5 year term, what if I want to buy a house and all that... Mind you the real estate market is probably going to need at least five years to get over itself, at this rate.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lexicon posted:

Are you loving serious?

Can you point me towards a prospectus of a fund with that property? I thought I had a good handle on ripoff financial products, but this is a new low.

When I say years I mean 3 in my case. I'll see if I can find it in print for you, but I am going off what my broker guy said.

What is the norm for no load in your experience?

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Tony Montana posted:

Yes you're misunderstanding me. Only sophisticated investors should ever be looking at a single bond or equity issue, and even when they do, they are considering it within the context of a portfolio that comprises many issues. You can't manage that complexity. Anyone in this thread who is actually learning something should limit their investments to index or other funds which comprise a basket of bonds/equity.

As an example (and just that, I am not advising this is an ideal ETF) - http://ca.ishares.com/product_info/fund/holdings/CVD.htm

You can see the holdings comprise a mix of corporate debt issues with all sorts of different coupon/rate/maturity variables. You can get ones that mix federal/provincial/muni/corporate in all sorts of combinations. You cannot get access to a single issue, in general, with the right risk:return rate dynamic (read:4-7%) anyhow, because the blocks you need to buy in are often in the 6 figure range. There is no reason for a retail investor to own a single issue, ever.

Saltin fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 13, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Alright so I was looking for market-indexed funds where I already bank, and I found this one that seems a little weird. Am I understanding this right that if the market goes down 5%, they pay out at an higher rate than if it doesn't?

I'd stay the hell away from that. There's no free lunch.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

slidebite posted:

When I say years I mean 3 in my case. I'll see if I can find it in print for you, but I am going off what my broker guy said.

What is the norm for no load in your experience?

To be absolutely honest, I didn't know what to expect. That just seems utterly scandalous in light of the good options we've been discussing all thread.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Lexicon posted:

Are you loving serious?

Yes, it's actually quite common. Here is the prospectus for a number of Front Street funds. http://frontstreetcapital.com/files/fundfiles_public/FSMFLTD_Prospectus.pdf

Check out page 16 - Redemption fees. Unless you hold for 3 years, you are charged a fee for getting out. And it's not cheap, 3% if within a year and a half. There are literally thousands of mututal funds just like this one with redemption fees.

Kal Torak fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 13, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Kal Torak posted:

Yes, it's actually quite common. Here is the prospectus for a number of Front Street funds. http://frontstreetcapital.com/files/fundfiles_public/FSMFLTD_Prospectus.pdf

Check out page 16 - Redemption fees. Unless you hold for 3 years, you are charged a fee for getting out. And it's not cheap, 3% if within a year and a half. There are literally thousands of mututal funds just like this one with redemption fees.

:what:

You know - it's remarkable. Financial services should be among the most competitive and low-margin industries out there. Their product, money (or securities), is literally the most fungible thing that can possibly exist. Yet there are people at all levels of the chain earning tons of money for doing either nothing, or active harm to their customers.

I've said it before, and I will again: vast swathes of the investing industry are predicated, indeed utterly reliant upon, consumer ignorance.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yes, not only are you paying management fees, you're paying for the privilege of buying them on top of it. All these funds that are run by MBAs with a penchant for 50 year old scotch and Cuban cigars have to get paid somehow!

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
The hardest thing for me was to allocate a percentage of my current TFSA limit to a bond index. Like, I know that I need to hedge all of my aggressive equity holdings, but uuuugh I want nothing to do with the bond market right now.

Operation Twist. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Why? Are bond prices plummeting? That would be a Good Thing.