Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Bizarro Buddha posted:

I'm living in Canada at the moment, but not Canadian. I'm a generalist/gameplay programmer. It sounds like the H1-B would be my only option, so I'd need to plan far ahead and be very worth hiring if I wanted a position in the US.

Yes, you will need a company to want to hire you, and to file the H1-B petition on your behalf. And then you'd have to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Our game came out today! Its exciting!

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Our game came out today! Its exciting!

Whats the game?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Call of Duty: Ghosts.

Also it came out yesterday, didn't realize it was after midnight.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Thats a big release, congrats on getting that monster out.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Grats son! Were you mostly working on MP maps again?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Good job shipping, now get back to crunch!

Congratulations!

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Aliginge posted:

Grats son! Were you mostly working on MP maps again?

Yeah, I did mostly performance this time around since no one else likes doing it. I ended up touching all the MP maps, being one of a few people who can say that.

mutata posted:

Good job shipping, now get back to crunch!

Congratulations!

My crunch ended in August, past two months have been smooooth

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, it's high time you guys started again.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

mutata posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, it's high time you guys started again.

Next summer :sigh:

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

Congrats man!

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
Congrats on the release. Waiting for my PS4 to pick it up personally, and yet I still hear rumors you guys beat GTA V to $1b. I guess you've got the additional PC sales to make up for people holding off for next gen consoles (and a lot of people probably just bought the next-gen games early) but that's still pretty nuts.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Paniolo posted:

Congrats on the release. Waiting for my PS4 to pick it up personally, and yet I still hear rumors you guys beat GTA V to $1b. I guess you've got the additional PC sales to make up for people holding off for next gen consoles (and a lot of people probably just bought the next-gen games early) but that's still pretty nuts.

We don't really know anything about sales yet. I was at a gamestop with a bunch of Raven folks on Monday night and people were really excited. So we'll see :shobon:

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

theflyingorc posted:

double edit: For you specifically, if you're applying at Blizzard that probably means you're looking in LA, and I know that Insomniac has a yearly summer internship program in Santa Monica you should be watching out for, but I don't know of any central place to find internships.

So this is back a page, but do any other developers do non-QA internships? I loved being at Bethesda but QA is what it is. Don't really care where as long as it's in the US and I could get some good design experience.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

edit: Short version - Don't try to get all the jobs when you apply for a given job, try to get that job. Feel free to include any relevant other-department stuff AS AN ASIDE, not as the main focus.

double edit: For you specifically, if you're applying at Blizzard that probably means you're looking in LA, and I know that Insomniac has a yearly summer internship program in Santa Monica you should be watching out for, but I don't know of any central place to find internships.

Thanks for the advice, as it is right now I don't think I'm experienced enough to try for multiple positions. I'll keep an eye out for internship openings at Insomniac.

As a follow up question: Would studios be willing to pay for transportation costs for out-of-state (in this case coast-to-coast) interviewees? I know there's been a few places I've checked where they only accept internships that are local or willing to commute.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

That Gobbo posted:

As a follow up question: Would studios be willing to pay for transportation costs for out-of-state (in this case coast-to-coast) interviewees? I know there's been a few places I've checked where they only accept internships that are local or willing to commute.

Any serious company will pay for your flight(s), hotel, taxis, food, etc costs to get you to/from the interview. That said, opening up an intern job at a company in any major city will flood them with candidates, so they probably don't need to search far afield to find solid people.

Interns, however, generally aren't given relocation packages (if they get the offer).

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
This is extremely interesting. Patreon might be a pretty important development, for anyone thinking about free Flash game development - this might be how you could plug the hole created by flashgamelicense's diminishing returns.

(basically, people pledge to give you X amount per release / Y max per month, period)

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Chunderstorm posted:

So this is back a page, but do any other developers do non-QA internships? I loved being at Bethesda but QA is what it is. Don't really care where as long as it's in the US and I could get some good design experience.

EAC did, and while I'm not sure what the American studios do, I can't imagine that in this industry they'd do unpaid internships.

Microsoft does if you're interested in 1st party or being on the console / services side of game development.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Chasiubao posted:

EAC did, and while I'm not sure what the American studios do, I can't imagine that in this industry they'd do unpaid internships.

Microsoft does if you're interested in 1st party or being on the console / services side of game development.

Can confirm EAC, and Microsoft do internships. Quite competitive, as well.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Alright - first, this is an awesome resource for trying to figure out where studios are in the Pacific Northwest. It's like what gamedevmap used to be (ie. it's up to date).

Second... I know a bunch of you are in Seattle, so, how insane am I for thinking I could get a house out in Olalla / Bremerton / blah area, and ferry commute into Seattle? I know Amazon's downtown, and the above link implies there's a good cloud of other employers in the downtown area, so - doable? Or does the map have a blind spot, is the community massively concentrated in Bellevue, etc?

Basically, I'm not a city person, so I'd be looking at Duvall area or Bremerton area to live. If I go Duvall, there's dick all to do, an "ok" commute to Bellevue (which is dull as hell) and Seattle's basically unreachable. If I go Bremerton, I get the nice small town cheap housing et al and Seattle (which is interesting) is a reasonable commute via ferry.

... also, Google implies that the drive from Olalla to Bellevue is strangely doable. Like, not great, but it's supposedly an hour, which is equivalent to our commute here (Denver) from north down to DTC. It sucks, a lot, and the traffic is miserable, but it's doable in a pinch. As in, "if I got screwed and had to have a job super fast" doable.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
How long of a daily commute are you willing to tolerate? And do you already have a job yet? Bellevue vs Seattle is going to change your options up considerably.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Alright - first, this is an awesome resource for trying to figure out where studios are in the Pacific Northwest. It's like what gamedevmap used to be (ie. it's up to date).

Second... I know a bunch of you are in Seattle, so, how insane am I for thinking I could get a house out in Olalla / Bremerton / blah area, and ferry commute into Seattle? I know Amazon's downtown, and the above link implies there's a good cloud of other employers in the downtown area, so - doable? Or does the map have a blind spot, is the community massively concentrated in Bellevue, etc?

Basically, I'm not a city person, so I'd be looking at Duvall area or Bremerton area to live. If I go Duvall, there's dick all to do, an "ok" commute to Bellevue (which is dull as hell) and Seattle's basically unreachable. If I go Bremerton, I get the nice small town cheap housing et al and Seattle (which is interesting) is a reasonable commute via ferry.

... also, Google implies that the drive from Olalla to Bellevue is strangely doable. Like, not great, but it's supposedly an hour, which is equivalent to our commute here (Denver) from north down to DTC. It sucks, a lot, and the traffic is miserable, but it's doable in a pinch. As in, "if I got screwed and had to have a job super fast" doable.

The ferry can get expensive, and lines to get on the ferry can be quite long. People do it, but I have no idea why.

I actually am on the eastside in the Bellevue area, and the commute is no problem if you have flexible hours. If I leave for work after 9:30 AM and drive / carpool in, it takes me 15-20 minutes to get to work downtown. If I want to get to work at 9 AM for a meeting, then it can take over an hour to get in, especially if I take the bus.

If you're not sure if you'll be working in Seattle or on the eastside, living on the eastside is a safer choice. It can be difficult to get out of Seattle by public transportation to many of the places game studios exist on the east side.

I would suggest looking at West Seattle if you want a good commute, can afford it, and "aren't a city person". West Seattle still has some of the Seattle personality in the shops and people, but is much less dense than the city proper, and you can commute by water taxi if you want to go to work by water.

Otherwise, Issaquah currently seems to be the go-to place for people who want to work in Seattle, but live in suburbia.

edit: Company size also has a strong effect on commute. Big companies like Microsoft and Amazon both run shuttles all over the area. I think Amazon's are downtown-only, but Microsoft runs them from Redmond to downtown. If I am taking the bus home, the shuttle to the bus stop can save me 15+ minutes if I time it right.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 12, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Paniolo posted:

How long of a daily commute are you willing to tolerate? And do you already have a job yet? Bellevue vs Seattle is going to change your options up considerably.
If Hot Tin Roof works out, I'd be moving out and still working out of my own house. If not, about an hour is the max I'm willing to tolerate... if I'm driving. A ferry ride in the middle that I could find a seat and pull out a laptop / work during? That could be neat, and wouldn't still feel like time wasted commuting. Maybe ditto for a commuter bus / light rail, but definitely not for a city line. I expect I'd be negotiating heavy for telecommuting regardless, and I know for a fact I'd have to go for flexible hours to avoid rush.

(this isn't planning for an existing job, this is trying to make sure wherever we end up isn't so far out that I'd be screwed if the indie thing falls through / I have to commute in to a studio again... and also if we end up with a physical studio I'm commuting in to)

Chainclaw posted:

I would suggest looking at West Seattle if you want a good commute, can afford it, and "aren't a city person". West Seattle still has some of the Seattle personality in the shops and people, but is much less dense than the city proper, and you can commute by water taxi if you want to go to work by water.

Otherwise, Issaquah currently seems to be the go-to place for people who want to work in Seattle, but live in suburbia.
I'm not willing to go any further in than Duvall/Carnation-ish or Bremerton/Olalla-ish ;) I've got zero interest in typical suburbia, it sucks. The goal here is to buy a house on some land, enough for a detached garage/shop, no neighbors in direct line of sight, etc. The kind of place I'd buy if commuting weren't a concern - since if I play the indie card right, it won't be.

I live with a machinist, and I'm not much for city living or suburbia... even if I do really like access to kitschy restaurants and other stuff you can only find in metropolitan areas. That makes the Bremerton<->Seattle ferry pretty seemingly appealing. Duvall's got no such appeal with its location, but might give me more options commuting-wise. Hence the question, basically - Bremerton/Olalla seems like the place I'd actually want to be, but, is it practical.

EDIT: VV Seems pretty doable cost-wise at least. Especially if I was commuting for business / on a developer's salary, that'd be nothing.

EDIT2: It really does kinda limit the "pop to Seattle for lunch" potential though, assuming the 2hr lag didn't already. So big point in Duvall's favor in terms of access to casual fun stuff. Especially when I could pop to almost the same exact spot in Seattle from Duvall in an hour on a comfy commuter bus for way less.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 12, 2013

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I had forgotten that the ferry is way cheaper and easier if you walk on. Here's the page for monthly ferry passes for passenger only (no vehicle): http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/wave2go/monthly_pass.htm

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shalinor posted:

A lot of people at work live in Duvall or further and take the bus in to downtown Seattle. There's a route that is basically just a few freeway stops then you're in the city. Google metro route 311. I bus in from north Kirkland and with a laptop and LTE getting 17mb down and 11mb up its incredible.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

grats ATVI buddy! :hfive:

I can't wait for my free copy in the mail (i'm also diggin' the retro shirts we just got for the last meeting)

felat
Apr 27, 2008

treeboy posted:

I can't wait for my free copy in the mail (i'm also diggin' the retro shirts we just got for the last meeting)

This is actually the first swag that we get that I wear when I'm out of the job! They are sweet!

I'm all the way over at the QA in Quebec, so hi from Canada!

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

treeboy posted:

VV right? Congrats on Skylanders!

Last year we got towels from the meeting.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

felat posted:

This is actually the first swag that we get that I wear when I'm out of the job! They are sweet!

I'm all the way over at the QA in Quebec, so hi from Canada!

I go out of my way to wear the shirt I like it that much. Also I'm in upstate NY with VV so I'm just a bit south of you fellas. I have no idea how you all survive in even colder climes. (thanks for all the QA support too!)

VV right? Congrats on Skylanders!

Last year we got towels from the meeting.

Thanks! We're all pretty excited about the Holiday season to see little kids go apeshit for plastic toys. And yeah the towels sucked hard. Mine's in a closet somewhere acting as padding I'm pretty sure.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

treeboy posted:

I go out of my way to wear the shirt I like it that much. Also I'm in upstate NY with VV so I'm just a bit south of you fellas. I have no idea how you all survive in even colder climes. (thanks for all the QA support too!)

We just complain about the weather a lot and it seems to help getting through! Having tested a couple of CoDs on and off, Ghosts was the most fun to work on.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

I get most of my clothes from CoD launches. Need some new pants next time.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

treeboy posted:

Thanks! We're all pretty excited about the Holiday season to see little kids go apeshit for plastic toys. And yeah the towels sucked hard. Mine's in a closet somewhere acting as padding I'm pretty sure.
Congrats to both of you!

... I think could go weeks with only shirts I've gotten from trade shows or game releases. The LEGO Universe / NetDevil ones are really ratty at this point, but they're comfy / totally fine for wearing at home. :3:

EDIT: Unrelated, but on the WA commuting topic, the Southworth / Fauntleory ferry + a bit of driving or busing in Seattle would seem to be way more sane than the Bremerton ferry. Way, way faster, and cheaper.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 12, 2013

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
I think you had the right idea with Duvall. That is a really good balance between being out of the burbs and still having a sane commute to either Bellevue or Seattle.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Yikes, I commute from Greenlake to Kirkland and it takes me 1h30m 3 buses worst case and I think that's rough. I can't imagine having to take the ferry or go from Duvall to Seattle. Plus there is a possibility that there'll be more metro cuts, too.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Aaand I'm back at Gameloft MTL after two years in Vietnam. Goddamn it's cold here. I need to be shipped back ASAP.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
I live and work in downtown Bellevue and my commute is like ten minutes. I want to move out so bad but can't find anywhere with an affordable one bedroom where I don't have a 2 hour commute.

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

My roommate does a lot of driving for his job and he absolutely hates the ferries: long lines, pricey, weird schedules, etc. I'd avoid finding a place where you'd need to use a ferry to get to Seattle, even if you're not commuting daily.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I live in Redmond and work in Redmond (at not-Redmond rent due to a unique living situation), it's pretty freaking nice except that I don't really like Redmond..... and it still takes me 30 minutes to get home if I leave during rush hour.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

I'm glad we're not the only ATVI studio asking for pants (underwear would also work for us).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

DaVideo posted:

My roommate does a lot of driving for his job and he absolutely hates the ferries: long lines, pricey, weird schedules, etc. I'd avoid finding a place where you'd need to use a ferry to get to Seattle, even if you're not commuting daily.
Between Duvall or Olalla, my options for getting to Seattle are "relatively pleasant ferry" or "hell drive." The bus from Duvall is an option for commuting, but I can't see me and some friends hopping the bus - we'd still grab a car, and hell drive would await.

No matter which way I go, one or the other will be obnoxious to get to. Olalla is currently winning out, since at least downtown is a place I actively want to go. Bellevue isn't ever going to be desirable in and of itself, it's just "a place I might have to work someday but hopefully not." EDIT: on the bright side, we'll be renting for the first few months, so whichever we pick, if we hate it, we can always try the other end.

EDIT2: is there any kind of consistent split in the dev community, as far as mostly being in Seattle, or mostly being on the east side? I know Amazon's downtown, and Microsoft is east, but neither is someone I'd be super likely to go with - kinda curious about the small and mid-sized places more. Like, "even ignoring MS, 90% of the game jobs are east side" would definitely be a vote for Duvall, whereas if it's even, just picking the nicer place seems the best call.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 13, 2013