Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

zylche posted:

GMG release the UK keys :argh:

:f5: updating GMGs website :f5:

wait don't you get a confirmation email?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I tried playing on Normal this morning. When I get home I will do a classic game, no ironman. I don't remember hearing anything about the medals though. How have you guys been handling handing them out.

And at what point do the Operations happen?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 12, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Seekers seem to exist to keep you from spreading out your forces too much. When they start strangling somebody they don't hurt them immediately, but you need a guy nearby to attack the thing and get it off their necks.

Unfortunately I discovered the MEC's kinetic strike module can't punch a seeker off.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Mr Dog posted:

playing on Normal but Mimetic Skin is kind of OP. ... rush forward into the unknown with complete impunity to scout ahead
I thought mimetic skin won't trigger if you get spotted when moving, so what use is it on a scout besides spotting a patrolling group by accident?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Playing and enjoying all these cool new maps, my favourites so far have been the laundromat one and the barn crash site. (It's possible there's multiple new maps featuring barn crash sites and laundromats though). It's really weird enjoying all these new maps and then suddenly launching into that same council mission I've done a dozen times and have memorized.

Edit: Though I see they did modify the council missions to contain more than just thinmen.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 12, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Welmu posted:

I thought mimetic skin won't trigger if you get spotted when moving, so what use is it on a scout besides spotting a patrolling group by accident?

Probably rushing around finding new meld canisters, at the least.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Ulsoro posted:

Slingshot didn't even start till the middle of the second month for me. With the Progeny missions and other things, it looks like they really pushed the Slingshot battleship deeper into the game. I'm mid May at this point without the second Slingshot mission popping up. A damned good thing, if you ask me.

Mind you, this is just from my first Enemy Within playthrough, so if could just be the RNG screwing with me.

I noticed this last night too. It's really nice to not feel like I need a healthy Lightning Reflexes Assualt, Sprinter Support, and Squadsight Sniper by early April.

Has anyone got Zhang or whoever it was you get from Progeny and checked to see if you can customize them now? I noticed that the startup vids are skippable now too, so maybe they listened to sad losers like me who want to give Zhang a hat.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

How does EW Handel psychics? Can gene modded solders also be psychi, or should I be keeping some troops unmodded.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

agauntpanda posted:

Why yes they did.

Wasn't it always 50/50? I never had a shortage of female soldiers.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

oswald ownenstein posted:

I think it was 66/33. Something close to that. Never really knew why, mind you.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

wilbur.walsh posted:

:f5: updating GMGs website :f5:

wait don't you get a confirmation email?
Don't dash my hopes now :f5:

It was 75/25, I think. Maybe.

BigRed0427 posted:

How does EW Handel psychics? Can gene modded solders also be psychi, or should I be keeping some troops unmodded.
You can make gene-modded soldiers psychic, or at least it's implied by there being a Second Wave option to make that not possible.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I always seemed to have about 2/3 male 1/3 female in EU.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Early-game you probably want to focus on either MECs or gene mods, not both. Not enough income or base space to made to with both at once. Month two or three you can probably start maxing everything, though.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

I believe psi ability can manifest in any soldier, including gene modded ones, and MEC troopers.

Fake edit: the ratio was 2/3 male 1/3 female in EU and I have not noticed a difference in this game. I guess the RNG is loving with me even further. It has already given me no engineers at all for a month and a half. I think i'll just abandon this game...

Meis fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 12, 2013

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Welmu posted:

Nope.

When you order a MS unit to move, a "Cloaked" or "Revealed" bubble pops at the beginning of the movement. Cloaked pops if the MS unit did not begin within sight range of an enemy unit and the end square is adjacent to hard cover. Revealed pops if the Cloaked condition has not been maintained, otherwise you can chain it (provided you don't attack, of course).

Just now I ran straight past a pack of hitherto unrevealed floaters in just that manner.

In fact you don't even need to have hard cover between you and the observing enemy. You just need to have hard cover adjacent to the target square.

I do worry that MS is overpowered in conjunction with Squadsight snipers, but it really is a fantastically designed system. EU turned every map into a few isolated squares with hard cover, surrounded by lava. Enemy Within has MELD pressure to force you to move fast, Mimetic Skin for use on scouts, and MECs with above-average resilience and an inability to use cover. So you actually have a complete map and not just a bunch of walkways between point islands, if that makes any sense. Once I finish this Normal playthrough I'd like to see how it works on Classic.

e: it synergises with One For All :stare: this is goddamn amazing

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 12, 2013

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Meis posted:

I believe psi ability can manifest in any soldier, including gene modded ones, and MEC troopers.

Fake edit: the ratio was 2/3 male 1/3 female in EU and I have not noticed a difference in this game. I guess the RNG is loving with me even further. It has already given me no engineers at all for a month and a half. I think i'll just abandon this game...

MECs can't get the gift.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TopHatGenius posted:

MECs can't get the gift.

We already have Space Marines and Robocops floating around, adding Darth Vader to the mix would probably be a bit much :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Whoever claimed this would be easier than EU is insane. I've found it crushingly difficult so far, barely staying afloat in the first two months. Finally I had to start over entirely because I just couldn't keep my head above water. Too many fires to put out, not enough scientists, not enough engineers, too many wounded.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Why did my computer wait for today, of all days, for my RAM to go bad?

Oh, well. It's fixed now and EW is downloading :dance:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Playing with MECs has really forced me to pay more attention to line of sight.

Why yes I did just have my MEC take 15 damage from a trio of Thin Men who plopped down on a roof why do you ask?

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
I'm actually leaning more towards gene-mods. I was never any good with SHIVS, I always got them blown up due to not being able to put them in cover. I suppose I'll probably have maybe 1 MEC unit in my squad. Considering you can re-use the suits, it's probably going to be a robotic tomb of destruction powered by the damned, screaming souls of the many expendable rookies I put in there.

Blood for the blood throne.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You need to be at least Squaddie to be RoboCop so anyone being interred into the iron tomb has already tasted alien blood.

Well it could be Exalt blood but you get what I mean.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Half hour before I can get home oh god why won't the entry level employees hurry up oh god oh god

Do soldiers converted to MECs retain their previous mission stats, kills etc, or are they considered an entirely new individual? Similarly, I heard the memorial was upgraded somehow...? Finally, does the Implassic mod work with EW or will I have to wait a little bit for it to get updated?

Speedball posted:

Unfortunately I discovered the MEC's kinetic strike module can't punch a seeker off.

"Hold still."

agauntpanda
Jul 23, 2013

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

So is it 50/50 now?

Yep, 50-50.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Played some, spotflux worked out.

My globe in the situation room is bugging out entirely however, focusing on the south pole.

What you hiding? :cthulhu:

SitRep
First mission went well, didn't lose anyone but 3 dudes ended up in the infirmary, 2 of which had 15+ days recovery time.

Only grabbed one Meld container however, due to the first being situated by an alley and 6 Sectoids triggered on it :argh:

Second mission I secured both containers, but lost 2 soldiers, including my only sniper, Damage Roulette :argh:
Earned two medals for the survivors however.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

agauntpanda posted:

Yep, 50-50.

It's funny how Saudi Arabia is so liberal by 2015 that they train female special ops soldiers to donate to X-Com.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Turns out that when the aliens are kicking down your door, you get over that kind of thing real fast.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Half hour before I can get home oh god why won't the entry level employees hurry up oh god oh god

Do soldiers converted to MECs retain their previous mission stats, kills etc, or are they considered an entirely new individual? Similarly, I heard the memorial was upgraded somehow...? Finally, does the Implassic mod work with EW or will I have to wait a little bit for it to get updated?

"Hold still."

The memorial now shows how the soldier died. Mine has several "Plasma pistol (sectoid)" on it..

Should I abandon my game? Wont be able to launch sattelites before month's end. Second month. Ive got 2 in orbit but cant build uplinks.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

SBJ posted:

It's funny how Saudi Arabia is so liberal by 2015 that they train female special ops soldiers to donate to X-Com.
Plot twist: they are Americans that were captured in a world war that was going on in 2014 and we're using X-COM program proceeds to negotiate their return.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

SBJ posted:

"Special Ops" = "Can (s)he hold a gun? Great!" by X-Com recruitment standards.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How does EXP gain work. Do soldiers get exp for just kills?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Maybe it's news to everyone but me, but the best thing already about EW (I haven't done more than load up the game honestly) is that you can make Vahlen not complain about blowing up aliens and the other unskippable dialogue!
Oh happy day

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Well, this is a pickle. I want my new toys. But I don't want to lose my initial soldiers to the grinder immediately. Because I just can't seem to even get the Meld canister nearest my deployment zone. Doesn't help that I'm usually one turn away from recovering them, besides, parking a soldier next to it... and then realizing I need at least a free action to activate and secure that Meld.

Am I spectacularly unlucky, or just Ironman Impossible indoctrinated in going slow and always doing it careful? Should I dash even more? Or just wait out the first month until I can get a little bit more ballsy in grabbing some Meld?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
So yeah the pre-activated Cyberdisk is still there in Gangplank.

At least it only killed the redshirt I had tagging along.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

WYA posted:

How does EXP gain work. Do soldiers get exp for just kills?
Mostly kills, but they do get a little bit of xp just for going along on a mission.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fuuuuuck. Playing Ironman Classic and got to the first Progeny mission. Got the survivor and was running him to the ship when a Thin Man I couldn't see (and who presumably couldn't see me) ran out of a burning building and took the head off the survivor while he was in full cover. Guess I need to restart. My geoscape formation was crap anyway.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I do seem to recall that in the novels for the original X-COM, the main qualification for joining was merely surviving an alien attack. Of course that was in the days where everyone had vastly different stats as opposed to the cookie cutter Rookies you get nowadays. Unless, of course, you play with Not Created Equal and Hidden Potential (which you should) in which case it's as possible to get a Aim 55 Will 20 former video store clerk as it is a Aim 80 Will 40 SEAL Team 6 guy.

So it could just be those Saudi ladies were the ones who survived when the Sectoids blew the hell out of Riyadh, and some of them decided that it was time to pick up guns and shoot back.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
Is anyone else having trouble getting Amazon to automatically apply the $30 promo credit from Bioshock Infinite towards this?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just had Enemy Within's first fatality! I had a rookie blow up the Outsider's cover with a frag grenade, hoping to flush him out, so my sniper could take it down. Instead it held still and just fired through the hole I made, one-shotting my assault, current squad leader and first in line to become a Robocop. RIP Chun. You didn't ask for it and now you won't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Just a whine post, but it really feels like impossible is nothing more than classic with harder early enemies designed to be frustrating, not fun. I went to one of my classic saves in late game and switched the difficulty to impossible and combat plays out exactly the same. but having your second mission be 4 newbs against 18 sectoids that auto do 2 dmg from across the map is kinda stupid.

• Locked thread