Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

While we're (or some of us are) on the subject of cute Pokemon, one of the greatest things I have got to do in this game was bring all my Eevee-derived guys into Pokemon Amie. Everybody evolve a bunch of Eevees and do this now because little girl me is just :syoon:

(Holy poo poo, Jolteon looks a little like Stitch! :3: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Coaaab posted:

In case you're still wondering, a (possibly) perfect Modest Xerneas looks like 201 HP/135 Atk/115 Def/166 SpA/118 SpD/119 Spe. Also, you can use Kelpsy berries to eliminate Attack EVs, and they come from a Chesto/Persim mutation.

Thanks a bunch :)

Now comes the part though of a RNG's hatred of me trying to get Modest nature :smith:

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
for PokeRadar shiny chaining do you have to pick a bush to continue the chain or can you walk around a bit and use the Radar again?

I always seem to end up on the edge of the grass patch simply because I have no other choice of locations

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

treeboy posted:

for PokeRadar shiny chaining do you have to pick a bush to continue the chain or can you walk around a bit and use the Radar again?

I always seem to end up on the edge of the grass patch simply because I have no other choice of locations

If all your options suck, you can pick none of the bushes and re-use the radar when it's ready. Keep them repels handy.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

I've only ever done singles battling but doubles sounds pretty interesting. I recall there being a write up on how to get into it earlier in the thread. Does anyone have that link?

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Rahonavis posted:

While we're (or some of us are) on the subject of cute Pokemon, one of the greatest things I have got to do in this game was bring all my Eevee-derived guys into Pokemon Amie. Everybody evolve a bunch of Eevees and do this now because little girl me is just :syoon:

(Holy poo poo, Jolteon looks a little like Stitch! :3: )

Giving magical cartoon cat things scritches is pretty much the Best Thing added this generation. Espeon gets grumpy when you pet its head gem thing and Vaporeon loves when you pet its ear-fins. :kimchi:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm not very educated on IV breeding. Am I doing this right? I've got a mom with an everstone that has the nature and egg moves that I want, as well as 4 perfect IVs. I should breed it with a dad that has the missing perfect IV and give it a destiny knot, right? And eventually I should wind up with a baby that has the egg moves, nature, and 5 IVs that I want?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm not very educated on IV breeding. Am I doing this right? I've got a mom with an everstone that has the nature and egg moves that I want, as well as 4 perfect IVs. I should breed it with a dad that has the missing perfect IV and give it a destiny knot, right? And eventually I should wind up with a baby that has the egg moves, nature, and 5 IVs that I want?

That's an OK start, but you really want both parents to have as many IVs as possible, so that some overlap (and therefor cannot be picked from a wrong parent). Basically replace parents with superior kids until you have two 4 IVs mating and eventually a 5 IV should turn up.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Which Eeveelution makes the best use of having their hidden ability?

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Espeon by a mile

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Coming in at a respectable second is Hydration Vaporeon.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Zahki posted:

Espeon by a mile

Ugh it's a happiness evolution... What would be a good setup for Espeon?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I would think Sylveon would be pretty good, at least on paper.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'm using timid dual screener right now -
Timid Espeon @ Light Clay
Magic Bounce
252 HP 4 Def 252 Spe
Psychic
Baton Pass / Grass Knot / Dazzling Gleam
Light Screen
Reflect

Baton pass is to escape from trapping/pursuit.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 12, 2013

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Leper Colon V posted:

Coming in at a respectable second is Hydration Vaporeon.

Not so respectable now that Drizzle only lasts 5 turns. Pixilate Sylveon will probably be better post-Pokebank.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The Leper Colon V posted:

"Shut the gently caress up, Evasion Clause exists for a reason" Espeon
Bold @ Mental Herb
Magic Bounce
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
Double Team
Calm Mind
Baton Pass
Substitute

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Zoness posted:

I'm using timid dual screener right now -
Timid Espeon @ Light Clay
Magic Bounce
252 HP 4 Def 252 Spe
Psychic
Baton Pass / Grass Knot / Dazzling Gleam
Light Screen
Reflect

Baton pass is to escape from trapping/pursuit.

If they switch into already active hazards will they be bounced back, or is it only on the turn that they're used against you with Espeon already out?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

If they switch into already active hazards will they be bounced back, or is it only on the turn that they're used against you with Espeon already out?

Only on the turn that they're used against you, and it works for switching in Espeon on that turn as well.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

I'm not scummy enough to use this

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I would think Sylveon would be pretty good, at least on paper.

Not until December when Eevees with Hyper Voice become available through the bank. Otherwise you're looking at gimmicky Hyper Beam sets.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Can an Assault Vest'd Pokemon use Stealth Rock?

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Can an Assault Vest'd Pokemon use Stealth Rock?

No, since it's a status move, and the Assault Vest prevents the use of those.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
After a bit of breeding, I've gotten a Bagon with perfect IVs in everything but HP, where it's just 14-15. Should I keep breeding or is it not that big of a deal? I want him to be a Dragon Dancer, so some bulk would be nice.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Not until December when Eevees with Hyper Voice become available through the bank. Otherwise you're looking at gimmicky Hyper Beam sets.

I wish they would just return Hyper beam back to its gen one version. Just totally ignore balance and make hyper beam the best attack again.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

If I wanted to have a mega Tyranitar as a suicide lead to set up Stealth Rock and cause a bunch of havoc, what would his ideal setup/EV spread be?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

GeckoMissingo posted:

I wish they would just return Hyper beam back to its gen one version. Just totally ignore balance and make hyper beam the best attack again.

They did, but there's a glitch and now it's called Boom Burst.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.

horriblePencilist posted:

After a bit of breeding, I've gotten a Bagon with perfect IVs in everything but HP, where it's just 14-15. Should I keep breeding or is it not that big of a deal? I want him to be a Dragon Dancer, so some bulk would be nice.

I'd keep going. Every bit of HP helps, and who knows, that 16 HP could save your life! (literally)

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

horriblePencilist posted:

They did, but there's a glitch and now it's called Boom Burst.

Give it to Porygon-z and then I'll be happy.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Wish list for next gen: Let genderless dudes breed with other genderless dudes, complete with random babies and egg moves. Breeding is easier than ever, you can reliably pass down stats and everyone has easy access to decent breeding stock in the safaris, but it's still such a bitch getting genderless mons with good IVs. I think they may have realized this too, as there isn't a single new genderless mon this gen (legendaries excluded), and I bet Klefki and Honedge would have been genderless in ages past.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

endolithic posted:

Giving magical cartoon cat things scritches is pretty much the Best Thing added this generation. Espeon gets grumpy when you pet its head gem thing and Vaporeon loves when you pet its ear-fins. :kimchi:

My Espeon and Delfox both love having the... stuff... growing out of their ears groomed. Psychics are strange.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Meat Recital posted:

Wish list for next gen: Let genderless dudes breed with other genderless dudes,

I don't think you quite understand where babies come from.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

LAY-ZX posted:

I don't think you quite understand where babies come from.

Is it balls of clay that transform in to other living beings?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Meat Recital posted:

Wish list for next gen: Let genderless dudes breed with other genderless dudes, complete with random babies and egg moves. Breeding is easier than ever, you can reliably pass down stats and everyone has easy access to decent breeding stock in the safaris, but it's still such a bitch getting genderless mons with good IVs. I think they may have realized this too, as there isn't a single new genderless mon this gen (legendaries excluded), and I bet Klefki and Honedge would have been genderless in ages past.

Carbink.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

GeckoMissingo posted:

Give it to Porygon-z and then I'll be happy.

Oh please god no. Just no. Please, Game Freak, give Exploud a chance.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Rahonavis posted:

My Espeon and Delfox both love having the... stuff... growing out of their ears groomed. Psychics are strange.

Tropius makes this face:

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Mystery Machine posted:

I don't get the nastiness people here exhibit towards people on Smogon. Any Pokemon community is gonna be mostly kids

korusan posted:

They aren't really kids so much as douchey teenagers and nerds who jump down people's throats if they make mistakes about movesets/are really supremacist about 'their way'. I've had to use the threads to get ideas for movesets and stat spreads until the main site uploads them and I can only spend like 20 minutes on there before getting fed up with how god awful the community is. Really, open any thread on there, read a page or two, and tell me the nastiness is unwarranted.

This is very true, and it permeates beyond just their community too.

Brett824 posted:

I don't understand the competitive Pokemon community because they goal of minimizing luck and maximizing meta-game based strategy in Pokemon seems like the least interesting way of playing it.

This is how most anything that is competitive works. No matter what is banned there will always be something that rises to the top and destroys variety in things, because only the best stuff will be used. The Double Team and OHKO argument is ridiculous, as it's absurd to think they will ruin everything.

Stalgren fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 13, 2013

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

So I like ghost Pokemon and I want to make a gimmick all Ghost team that is awesome and actually competitive. I already had three Ghosties in my team, so I thought I would just round it out:

My one regret is that I can't use my TalonFlame named Glenn Peck

Original Team:
Special Eyes the Prankster Sableye
Anti-meta lead/wrench in the gears
Taunt
Will O Wisp
Foul Play
Recover

Needle the Aegislash
Lead Attacker/Pretty fun to play with
King's Shield
Sacred Sword
Shadow Sneak
Swords Dance

Ecto Cooler the MegaGengar
Secondary Attacker
Substitute
Sludge Bomb
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast -or- Disable (not sure yet)

People I will be adding:
My shiny Golurk, with Iron Fists, punch moves, Earthquake, and Stealth Rock
Rotom-W, probably a more defensive set.
Chandelure, probably with Choice Specs, and Fire/Grass coverage.

What do you guys think? Sounds like a really fun team to use, I would love any input on how to round it out.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Militree posted:

So I like ghost Pokemon and I want to make a gimmick all Ghost team that is awesome and actually competitive. I already had three Ghosties in my team, so I thought I would just round it out:

My one regret is that I can't use my TalonFlame named Glenn Peck

Original Team:
Special Eyes the Prankster Sableye
Anti-meta lead/wrench in the gears
Taunt
Will O Wisp
Foul Play
Recover

Needle the Aegislash
Lead Attacker/Pretty fun to play with
King's Shield
Sacred Sword
Shadow Sneak
Swords Dance

Ecto Cooler the MegaGengar
Secondary Attacker
Substitute
Sludge Bomb
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast -or- Disable (not sure yet)

People I will be adding:
My shiny Golurk, with Iron Fists, punch moves, Earthquake, and Stealth Rock
Rotom-W, probably a more defensive set.
Chandelure, probably with Choice Specs, and Fire/Grass coverage.

What do you guys think? Sounds like a really fun team to use, I would love any input on how to round it out.

Needs Spiritomb. Also maybe Frosslass.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

I'd throw Dazzling Gleam on the Gengar instead of Focus Blast. Maybe replace the Substitute with Thunderbolt too. Or Destiny Bond as a "gently caress you" option since it has Shadow Tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rahonavis posted:

Sylveon will tilt its head slightly, grin, and close its eyes when you rub at its ears. :3:

Espurr's hilarious. It just has this big dopey :stare: on its face no matter what, but it gets mean-eyebrows if you try rubbing at its ears.

Do Espurr/Meowstic just have four eyes total or what? Trained and am leveling a female Espurr at the moment. Can't really see under the ears very well in combat. Got a male in the wings, too. Bernard and Bianca. They aren't mice, but the colors match up pretty well!

• Locked thread