Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

gipskrampf posted:

There are definitely Swiss gun nuts, here for example the Swiss NRA-analogue:

Like in the US, they are staunch supporters of the political right (and vice versa), and their arguments seem quite similar to me. However they are definitely a minor force compared to the US cun culture. While its quite common to see soldiers with weapons in train stations and on the street, this is seen by most as just another piece of heavy military equipment you have to drag from your home to the location of your military service. Seeing guys with assault rifles in stores is not only strange and at least my experience quite uncommon in Switzerland, but technically illegal (as far as I know you are only allowed to transport guns directly from home to a service location or a rifle range).

Also, the rifle is to be transported unloaded and with the bolt removed. God save your rear end if the (military) police see you walking around with the bolt in.

Switzerland may have low gun violence overall, but the rate of suicide by firearm is the highest in europe, with almost half of those being by service rifle or pistol. Many cases of domestic murder are also facilitated by the presence of a weapon at home. This were the major argument used by the initiative aiming to keep military rifles in arsenals when their owners were out of active service.

And our good friends at the UDC/SVP were their usual classy selves :

I am ashamed to admit that when that initiative was voted on, I was in the middle of my military service, and was all gung ho about keeping my gun, so I voted no. Now, my rifle hangs out in the attic, waiting for the one day a year I have obligatory target practice :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
American gun nuts also have a lovely understanding of history.

Because guns are so useful for fighting famine, you see.

AShamefulDisplay fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 12, 2013

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
^^^ That's pretty awful. Hitler killed a lot more than 30 million people, there were like 20,000,000 in the USSR alone. Also, there's a difference between deaths caused by industrialization in a country where the life expectancy was like 25 years, and actively murdering people. Not to defend Mao, who was an incompetent megalomaniac.

Noosphere posted:

I am ashamed to admit that when that initiative was voted on, I was in the middle of my military service, and was all gung ho about keeping my gun, so I voted no. Now, my rifle hangs out in the attic, waiting for the one day a year I have obligatory target practice :v:.

No, Brute! Why are you doing posters for the SVP :(

edit: vvv the facial expression and angle is Hughes-y, I thought. Shading is obviously different. And wow, I had no idea about the vaccine stupidity :(

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 12, 2013

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Source for numbers: My rear end.

OwlBot 2000 posted:

No, Brute! Why are you doing posters for the SVP :(

But that doesn't look like Aidan Hughes' art? Also, even if it is, he's done much, much worse (and equally political):

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Soviet Commubot posted:

By bread they mean this poo poo called Nutraloaf, which has meat, vegetables, dehydrated milk, potato flakes and all kinds of other stuff basically blended and baked in. Apparently it tastes pretty foul and is used as a means of punishment in prisons around the country.

AKA expensive dog food.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
People not to brake for:

WaPo's Richard Cohen

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

V-Men posted:

People not to brake for:

WaPo's Richard Cohen

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mmm, remolded pork in corn syrup sauce.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tip of the Washington Monument:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Sorry if I didn't understand it correctly: Is carrying a gun openly really allowed in the US or are those people demonstrating against existing laws? Because I've never heard of any place where it would be legal to transport weapons (in Germany afaik even longer knifes) outside a locked container.

edit:

German Leopard Panzers exported to Indonesia.

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 12, 2013

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Faber posted:

Sorry if I didn't understand it correctly: Is carrying a gun openly really allowed in the US or are those people demonstrating against existing laws? Because I've never heard of any place where it would be legal to transport weapons (in Germany afaik even longer knifes) outside a locked container.

Like so many things in the US, it depends on the state. In some states you're allowed to walk around with gun just like this people are.

Honestly, I'm not sure what all of these categories mean. I found it on http://my.opencarry.org/?page_id=103

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Faber posted:

edit:

Varies from state to state. It's perfectly legal in Vermont, for example.

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=308

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Faber posted:

Hope they can do a better job with their brand new tanks than they did with their brand new stealth boat.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dusseldorf posted:

Hope they can do a better job with their brand new tanks than they did with their brand new stealth boat.

Deploying a smokescreen is a time-proven stealth tactic.

Photos of women taking over a steel mill during WWII:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Faber posted:

In some places, yes. Private establishments can post signs prohibiting weapons, open or concealed.

Gun nuts immediately had their pwecious feewings hurt because the city of Raleigh, NC didn't take down all the no concealed weapons signs immediately after the state's new gun law allowing concealed carry in public parks and schools went into effect last month.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/28/3321385/signs-banning-concealed-guns-coming.html

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

Faber posted:

The picture links to a bunch more maps with more info than you could ever want on the subject.

In Canada we have (to use their terminology) licensed unloaded open carry of long guns only. That means if you have your license you can theoretically drive or walk around with a shotgun in your arms and a shell in your hand, but it doesn't come up much. There are also a hodgepodge of other rules like how ammunition is prohibited at public assemblies, but at least the vast majority of firearm legislation is at the Federal level. Fifty states with fifty sets of laws is absurd.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Sarah Silverman infuriates conservatives and it is not because she is jewish

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Fandyien posted:

Whats the source of this, it's awesome.

paradoxplaza subreddit.

Other good reddity thing is colorizedhistory. Pictured: Some australian guy, hosed if I know who.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Expropriate the food from the people who hoard them, a revolutionary meme.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Sound advice from Mint.com. :thumbsup:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

https://archive.org/details/BlackPantherColoringBook

On one hand I wouldn't put it past a Libertarian to make something like this.

On the other hand;

Criminal Libel; The Show that tells the TRUTH!

Mods knew (Joementum plants CIA psyops)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This comic is so loving good

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Civil Wars since WWII:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Plutonis posted:

Expropriate the food from the people who hoard them, a revolutionary meme.

They did a good job hiding the identity of the people in that photo.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
So Google has made some changes to try and make YouTube comments less reprehensible. Not sure how well that's working out:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
White House elevator after the 1968 election.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

White House elevator after the 1968 election.

Hah is he giving Nixon the treatment?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

Hah is he giving Nixon the treatment?

He's a bit of a close talker.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

Rhesus Pieces posted:

He's a bit of a close talker.

:wink:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

royal road to science.jpg

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

royal road to science.jpg

They're saying libertarians aren't big on personal OR economic freedoms.

They do, however, have a y-axis advantage.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

gipskrampf posted:

Like in the US, they are staunch supporters of the political right (and vice versa), and their arguments seem quite similar to me. However they are definitely a minor force compared to the US cun culture. While its quite common to see soldiers with weapons in train stations and on the street, this is seen by most as just another piece of heavy military equipment you have to drag from your home to the location of your military service. Seeing guys with assault rifles in stores is not only strange and at least my experience quite uncommon in Switzerland, but technically illegal (as far as I know you are only allowed to transport guns directly from home to a service location or a rifle range).

From my (ancient) experience living in Switzerland in the 70s, and knowing a few local kids, the service weapons were kept in the closet and the ammo was stored separately with a seal on it that had to be shown as unbroken when mustering out.

I went back last summer after 38-years; between Zurich & Schaffhausen we stopped & wandered around on foot, and my son took this photo:

Best we could guess is that this was a hunter out on a day permit. Outside of law enforcement & military, It was the only Swiss I'd ever seen carrying a weapon (our back yard was used as a platoon's camping site during national maneuvers. Those soldiers were armed to the teeth)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Faber posted:

Yeah, America is awesome.

Vermont's always been a bad rear end.

e: Whoops, linked the wrong tab.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 13, 2013

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca7IhkfBMes

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

gipskrampf posted:

I'm curious about your perspective being Swiss. Is it more or less "oh great, my government mandated marksmanship qualification is up, gotta go to the range again in case the Romans come back, like that'll happen"

Noosphere posted:

Also, the rifle is to be transported unloaded and with the bolt removed. God save your rear end if the (military) police see you walking around with the bolt in.

Switzerland may have low gun violence overall, but the rate of suicide by firearm is the highest in europe, with almost half of those being by service rifle or pistol. Many cases of domestic murder are also facilitated by the presence of a weapon at home. This were the major argument used by the initiative aiming to keep military rifles in arsenals when their owners were out of active service.

That's pretty much the major argument in favor of guns for self defense in the US. "If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns"

Are organized criminals with guns even a significant thing in Switzerland? I imagine it's more of a "well no, but that's just proof Swiss citizens having guns is keeping them at bay!"

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Faber posted:

edit:

As others have mentioned it's a state by state basis. Some states are open carry as in "My gun is loaded don't loving look me in the eyes you poor excuse for a police officer!"

Some allow "concealed carry" which of course means carry on your persons but hidden or in a car.

Some like my state, California, pretty much allow the bare minimum of what the 2nd amendment requires. We have pretty much the strictest laws regarding gun control in this state and if you talk to anyone outside California this is a common bone of contention. "California doesn't allow guns what a bunch of faggots who want you to get raped by criminal gangs"

This also boils over into what kind of guns you can have. In California you can have a handgun, and a rifle but the rifle can't be semi-auto only. Some states allow varying degrees of power, some states allow everything from light machine guns to Anti Aircraft battery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSp7CipN1pw

To confuse you even more the Federal Government has their own laws regarding who can have what, so theoretically someone living in California could own machine guns on private property but they would have to have paperwork out the wazoo. Open carry is pretty much never a given here though,

• Locked thread