Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

LibbyM posted:

Oh man the new Close and Personal sounds so useful. Lightning reflex used to be such an easy no brainer choice.

What's extra useful about it is it brings up a circle around targets--like you see with a character when they can stun--so you know ahead of time what counts as within range to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

waah posted:

Only if you are lucky. I have had two separate heavies get the option for revive. Doesn't really help me at all.

So it randomizes ALL the abilities or does it only randomize just the classes ability?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

"We'll consult with Dr. Bagels for the requisite amputations and begin as soon as possible"

:stonk:

Oh well, time to make a heavy MEC. I'll stick to one for now before I succumb to the temptation of an all MEC wrecking crew.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Is GreenManGaming sending out Enemy Within keys to people in Europe right now? I would like to buy the key and VPN it, but I'm not sure if it'll work.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I refer to the very first UFO mission which triggers a medium sized UFO if you let the first one pass. Your two initial interceptors can sometimes bring it down. I'm just curious if loot from UFO missions is determined by size or more by which UFO attack it is.

I played it safe and went for the small one. With all the new poo poo I have to deal with now in the early game I rather not risk anything. Also out of my first 10 or so soldiers I ended with 4 heavies 3 assaults 1 sniper with lovely aim and 1 support with no will.

Game wants me to have an explosive and up close play through it seems.

Ah, I've never let the first one pass, so I didn't know it just spawned a large scout.

And yeah, UFO loot is tied to what type of UFO you're looting.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

WYA posted:

So it randomizes ALL the abilities or does it only randomize just the classes ability?

It will not randomize Weapon Specific abilities, so you have to be heavy to get Rocket abilities and those Non Random ones still show up in the same place as Choices, Snipers for example do not get Random choices till Tier 3 since Snap Shot and Squad Sight are Sniper Specific. But if you have a slot available to be random you can get any of the choices. I had a Heavy with Low Profile as a Choice at Tier 2.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

WYA posted:

For that matter, has anyone tested to see if abilities are randomized at level up or at soldier creation?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

"We'll consult with Dr. Bagels for the requisite amputations and begin as soon as possible"

:stonk:

Don't worry, they're thinking ahead!

:haw:

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
I don't know how or why but I have a support,, assault, heavy and sniper with lightning reflexes. The heavy, support, and SNIPER have heavy conditioning :stare:.

This game is so much better it's not even funny. The enemies seem really really improved on classic. Has anyone noticed how they use overwatch waaaay more and that thinmen will CAMP ON A loving ROOF OUT OF SIGHT UNTIL YOU HAVE TO LOSE YOUR BEST DUDE WITH TWO MEDALS TO TRIP IT? Sorry not bitter this happened before lightning reflexes, not at all.

Seriously though I've seen the Chrysalids doing this line of sight roof hopping around and it's awesome/terrifying.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Holy poo poo a crashed UFO in an urban environment? loving AWESOME

I got a crashed UFO on the top of a skyscraper. It was pretty loving great, up until one of my assaults got hit with a bullshit 9hp critical from out of the fog :xcom:

Oh also I just spun the Newfoundland mission. I think I'm gonna put that off until tomorrow :v:

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I think the enemy AI really is improved right? I had an enemy floater do their launch thing and completely disapear from the map, only to next turn find out he was hiding in this one little weird corner a truck was blocking view of. He killed one of my guys next turn, never seen the ai do something that clever before.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
The still haven't fixed the loving sectoid on the flooded streets mission! Come on, Firaxis.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

waah posted:

I have beaten this game multiple times on classic modded and unmodded and with the implassic mod. This poo poo seems way harder.
The new Implassic will probably be available tomorrow, so be ready for a "harder" harder.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

nnnotime posted:

The new Implassic will probably be available tomorrow, so be ready for a "harder" harder.

Does this mean Clormal is coming tomorrow too?

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

quiggy stardust posted:

I got a crashed UFO on the top of a skyscraper. It was pretty loving great, up until one of my assaults got hit with a bullshit 9hp critical from out of the fog :xcom:

Oh also I just spun the Newfoundland mission. I think I'm gonna put that off until tomorrow :v:

gently caress that mission.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

quiggy stardust posted:

Does this mean Clormal is coming tomorrow too?
Yes, extra Clormal(tm) will be added, too. I'm going to fore-go playing and work on the mod instead. I'll report back here when it's released.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

LordNad posted:

gently caress that mission.

Fortunately my team is pretty well-equipped for it right now. Five guys including one MEC and two gene-modded guys. My tech is still pretty low but that's the cost to explore this brave new world of Meld.

nnnotime posted:

Yes, extra Clormal(tm) will be added, too. I'm going to fore-go playing and work on the mod instead. I'll report back here when it's released.

:toot:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Boy howdy am I glad to be playing X-COM: Knock knock, who's there? FIVE BERZERKERS AT ONCE again

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
The fact that this is coming is exciting, but I'm waiting for a clean bill of health before I even THINK of picking up XCom Enemy Within. After Unknown turned out to be buggier than nearly anything I'd seen prior, I feel like it'll be worth waiting.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

nnnotime posted:

Awesome, looking forward to it! The only thing I want is the extra body count.

Also, it's anecdotal but I'm pretty goddamn certain the AI is smarter. Thin Men are even more complete loving assholes than they were before - they're actively falling back and hiding out in Overwatch throughout a map, something I've never seen before.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

So still gently caress thin men then?

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
How do you unlock the random training thing? Is it a second wave option?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

Also, it's anecdotal but I'm pretty goddamn certain the AI is smarter.
They may be smarter, but can they outsmart bullet? Answer me that!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SBJ posted:

Yes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SBJ posted:

Yep.

Any thoughts on medals? They're cute little awards, but I don't really know how to unlock more. Also, I can't decide on which one to pick. +aim seems so obvious, but at most its +10 aim, but only near the end of the game, while the Will bonus is so much easier to get (but so much less use). They seem pretty balanced.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Jesus Christ the EXALT missions are crazy. The first one I did had 16 enemies, dropping down in random points 5 or so at a time. And they don't just die like thinmen do to overwatch. The only saving grace was that they had normal human guns.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Anyone try out the new Covering Fire? I've only had the chance for it to proc once so far, but it was pretty awesome to watch a Sectoid try and take a pot-shot at my sniper only for my support to laser the sectoid's dumb rear end first. :allears: Don't know if it's worth it over Sprinter yet though, since running further owns.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Just had my first run in with seekers. I lost 3 of my soldiers to a combination of strangle and floaters. Didn't realize that the strangle ability hurts you for 1 hp when the seeker latches on to you.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Wait, what does the double heart mod do? Turn your soldiers into quirky, British-accented aliens that travel across time and space in a old phone booth?

No. It makes them not die if they lose all their HP; they bleed out over 5 turns instead.

I just did the alien base and determined that it is unlocked by the cyberdisk autopsy. Sectoid commander autopsy only gives you the neural feedback gene mod, which kills enemies that fail to mind control you. I guess neural dampening comes from ethereals.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Does strangle outright kill you if you don't take it off that turn?

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

For those with both content DLCs, is it still possible to delay the second Slingshot mission indefinitely without breaking the storyline chain? (I know that you always have to accept mission 1, but #2 is such a bitch).

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

LibbyM posted:

You get a few turns, I think.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

LibbyM posted:

I believe it's 3 damage per turn.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I believe it's 3 damage per turn.

It was only 1 damage when it happened to me. On classic, to be clear.

Came to post a funny thing. I finished a mission in a fast food joint and the character to get the last kill was standing in front of the register. So when she was reporting the mission it looked like she was ordering off the menu. And you can hear the little muzak they pipe in over the overhead speakers. Just a fantastic little touch.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 13, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

deepshock posted:

The fact that this is coming is exciting, but I'm waiting for a clean bill of health before I even THINK of picking up XCom Enemy Within. After Unknown turned out to be buggier than nearly anything I'd seen prior, I feel like it'll be worth waiting.

The game is massively improved, stability wise, over EU. They did a massive amount of cleaning and sanitizing of the game before release and it shows. It's not perfect, but chances are that you'll find it less buggy than EU was up until the patch last night.

Also, the new AI really does not want to stay in place for capture. Before if you put someone that the enemy you wanted pinned could see (ideally someone in high cover) on overwatch, the alien would hunker down or shoot back. Now? I've done it multiple times and every time the wounded alien just jumps into the fire. I guess I'll have to try out suppression to see how that pins people down...if Training Roulette gives it to me.

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
Has anybody seen any teleporting enemy bullshit or wonky flanking so far? Is it really fixed?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Note to self:

gently caress meld, basically. Just consider it a random bonus.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Meat Miracle posted:

Has anybody seen any teleporting enemy bullshit or wonky flanking so far? Is it really fixed?

Haven't seen any myself. I think aliens are playing by the same rulebook as we are now.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I'd like to reiterate gently caress thin men, especially gently caress thin men in the first of that new slingshot-esque mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho

Deuce posted:

Note to self:

gently caress meld, basically. Just consider it a random bonus.

I'm loving the way Meld plays out. It's a big sacrifice to go for but it's a worthy sacrifice. Mecs and Gene Mod soldiers are worth the price you pay in the blood of rookies, and with Training Roulette there's good reason to keep bringing those rookies to rush for Meld.

• Locked thread