Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

you are sounding a lot like 2b1s right npw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
the problems you are having are a direct result of using EF. if you didnt use EF, you would not have these problems. your "development speed" gets hosed when you cant debug ten nested lazy loaded linq queries. ef is bad and will not save you time in the long run.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

lets settle this by both of you postinf pics of your most recent paycheck

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

also lol @ bragging about getting "paid" online much less in a forum full of white male developers and CJs

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
can't we all just get along?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Plastic Snake posted:

the problems you are having are a direct result of using EF. if you didnt use EF, you would not have these problems. your "development speed" gets hosed when you cant debug ten nested lazy loaded linq queries. ef is bad and will not save you time in the long run.

iunno mang ef saves a good bit of time on small ultimately meaningless projects that uou still get paid to do

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

geetting paid gettin paid youngblud who cares if this page generates 300 db queries to rnder a table

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

just install glimpse and optomise the hot spots and count them benjies heard?

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
A big project I work on was using EF, but now it's not. Except we still have a big fat edix file in the project and we often end up stumbling into it and only recently pulled everything out of it and into our stored procs.

For those of us who aren't using EF or whatever and are manually filling methods into the 3 tier controller -> repository -> service -> ~internets~ -> Service -> SLL -> DAL -> [The DB] idiom are there any good plugins to just stub poo poo out for you and save a little time before you fill in your logic? Or are you intentionally made to do it all manually so you don't screw something up?

I don't mind doing it but it feels like a lot of busy work.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Morkai posted:

you embark on a quest to show me up for daring to use an orm

lol

show up 7 mistaken orm users to obtain the sacred tome of 'yospos, bitch'

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Morkai posted:

idk man, can you explain how im deviating from that in a not good way?

sure, just have a look between my previous post and this one

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

prefect posted:

can't we all just get along?

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

git clone trooper posted:

also lol @ bragging about getting "paid" online much less in a forum full of white male developers and CJs

not bragging. i get paid for finishing jobs not optimizing them. unless that's specifically the job, but then...

AWWNAW posted:

just install glimpse and optomise the hot spots and count them benjies heard?

yup

2banks1swap.avi posted:

feels like a lot of busy work

this is what ef is supposed to solve. i think there are some tools to build pocos for you from the schema but they are ultimately intended for use with ef.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

Stringent posted:

sure, just have a look between my previous post and this one

seems legit thanks

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

but seriously there has to be something better tan ef or just rolling your own SQL poo poo

dont shaggar me with statement mapping i want the real

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Morkai posted:

not bragging. i get paid for finishing jobs not optimizing them. unless that's specifically the job, but then...

yup

this is what ef is supposed to solve. i think there are some tools to build pocos for you from the schema but they are ultimately intended for use with ef.

I guess the big question now is "why would a web app NOT want to use EF? What was gained by not using it, what is lost by using it?"

I ask my team lead and he basically said $client said so, which is a fine reason, but gives me no information to help me learn a thing.

I've learned more lately reading yospos than I have at work, at least once I picked up the stack.

Edit for context:

It's an enterprise app, and it will have at most a thousand or so users on at the same time, ever. A smallish state in new england is going to be using it for case management (beep boop bad person did a thing and is in jail for it/taking pee pee tests/on probation for it paperwork poo poo) so it's not really going to have to be responsive or fast, just reliable and easy to debug, or pass on to the next dev team or the state itself. All source code for the project is held to a code standard and given to the client and they own all rights to it bla bla bla.

Given that - why would they prefer to NOT use EF, but instead roll by hand?

Fuck them fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 12, 2013

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

over my career of shame i've tried

straight SQL
straight SPs
a mix of those
SQL template generators
ORMs
statement mappers

why is this not a solved problem

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

AWWNAW posted:

it is.

death is certain.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I guess the big question now is "why would a web app NOT want to use EF? What was gained by not using it, what is lost by using it?"

I ask my team lead and he basically said $client said so, which is a fine reason, but gives me no information to help me learn a thing.

I've learned more lately reading yospos than I have at work, at least once I picked up the stack.

any data-centric web app on a scale smaller than amazon should probably use an orm just to get the poo poo up and going without wasting man months on rewriting boilerplate for every possible transaction type.

you make a conscious choice between performance and scalability vs rapid development and agility. an orm can make your life easy if you know how to use it but you have to know when to use it as well. if the client says to do it some way though there's no helping that.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Given that - why would they prefer to NOT use EF, but instead roll by hand?

billable hours

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Morkai posted:

any data-centric web app on a scale smaller than amazon should probably use an orm just to get the poo poo up and going without wasting man months on rewriting boilerplate for every possible transaction type.

you make a conscious choice between performance and scalability vs rapid development and agility. an orm can make your life easy if you know how to use it but you have to know when to use it as well. if the client says to do it some way though there's no helping that.

I was wondering if there was a good reason to have made that decision. I've picked up on the "how 2 code" part of things pretty quickly so I'm trying to figure out the why when you get to bigger questions about the project itself.

As far as $CLIENT SAID SO, welp.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I was wondering if there was a good reason to have made that decision. I've picked up on the "how 2 code" part of things pretty quickly so I'm trying to figure out the why when you get to bigger questions about the project itself.

As far as $CLIENT SAID SO, welp.

reasons to use an orm: you can get more done in a sprint, it saves you from the tedium of boilerplate, you can go your entire alm without having to janitor a sql.

reasons to not use an orm: you have massive data, speed and efficiency of queries matter, you like tedium.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Yeah in the project I'm working on there's no reason I can think of to not use an ORM.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

web development

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Yeah I kind of want to run back to ETL land

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I code in Java version 1.3. I wish it had advanced features such as enums (present in C since forever)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
guy this is a bad programmer safe zone. if someone is using an orm, tell them they're an idiot NICELY

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

helo thread im a bad dev. right now I'm a bad c# dotnet Web dev but maybe I can expand to other langs soon

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
hello hondacivet welcome to the thread there are cookies and coffee at the back table

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

bobbilljim posted:

I code in Java version 1.3. I wish it had advanced features such as enums (present in C since forever)

build an enum object

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

bobbilljim posted:

java 1.3 came out in 2000. any partially sane way of doing this involves running the latest jvm with an ancient compile target. please tell me this is some crusty gcj version on a terrible embedded platform

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it literally takes more effort to use an orm than using procs and a statement mapper.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shaggar posted:

it literally takes more effort to use an orm than using procs and a statement mapper.

*sits around waiting for the dba*

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

Stringent posted:

*sits around waiting for the dba*

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
unironically what I've done for a loving month

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The only DBA I remember dealing with shrugged it off when we found our DB password leaked on some Russian site and said "who cares it was a MySQL 4 password anyway, it is poo poo hashing" and then never changed the password.

He lost his job a few weeks later.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

AWWNAW posted:

over my career of shame i've tried

straight SQL
straight SPs
a mix of those
SQL template generators
ORMs
statement mappers

because it's more than one problem

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i want to create a program for tracking inventory on my shipping supplies

does it pay to put the work into creating a database and program that interacts with it or should i just stop being lazy? tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Brain Candy posted:

java 1.3 came out in 2000. any partially sane way of doing this involves running the latest jvm with an ancient compile target. please tell me this is some crusty gcj version on a terrible embedded platform

you are about right. but not gcj. definitely crusty tho

• Locked thread