Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Dizzy Pig makes fantastic rubs. They are all pretty varied as well so you can find something to your liking. The guy who runs it has won a few bbq competitions with the rubs he sells.

http://dizzypigbbq.com/

I really want to buy some of this guys stuff just for the logo. I'll try some of his rubs but I'm getting the bottle opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I love Dizzy Pig rubs. I usually buy bulk packages of dizzy dust coarse for bbq ribs and pulled pork. almost all of the blends are great but I really like Swamp Venom, Shakin the Tree and Cow Lick.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Yeah I'm grabbing some dizzy dust and the swamp venom along with a baller keychain.

E:

It was a nice day so I threw some ribs on. Decided to try out a rub with some cinnamon and allspice in it. We'll see how it turns out. I also added the secret ingredient of BLUEBERRY JAM.

It's an experimentation day, lets hope these don't suck!

E2:

These oooooooooooown.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 6, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
FYI if anyone is looking for a good tasty and not very sweet BBQ sauce, CattleBoyz is my current favourite. I get it in 2 packs from Costco (In Canada). They have an address in the States as well so I assume you can get it down there somewhere.

http://www.cattleboyz.com/index.html

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I'm doing a brisket, a shoulder, and a turkey this weekend. I'm starting the fire Friday and hoping to have everything done Saturday by 6. I know the turkey will probably take ~4 hours. So I'm planning on starting the shoulder sometime around 5pm Friday and probably the brisket too.

Brisket - full packer - don't know the weight offhand
Shoulder - 13.25lbs boneless
Turkey - 14.2lbs

Does that sound about right? It will be my first smoke using a pitmasterIQ 110.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

LTBS posted:

I'm doing a brisket, a shoulder, and a turkey this weekend. I'm starting the fire Friday and hoping to have everything done Saturday by 6. I know the turkey will probably take ~4 hours. So I'm planning on starting the shoulder sometime around 5pm Friday and probably the brisket too.

Turkey - 14.2lbs

The shoulder and brisket probably have similar cook times. I am not sure on the turkey but if you are doing it at 225f I really doubt the turkey will be done in 4 hours.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

No way you're doing a 14bs turkey in 4 hours at 225f. Try like, 8, at least.

e: Also btw if you're putting ALL that in the cooker at once you're gonna need a shitload of extra fuel and probably add a few hours to your cook times.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 6, 2013

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

LTBS posted:

Turkey - 14.2lbs

That is an unholy amount of meat.

What the other guys said about the turkey. Gonna need a lot more time.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is it too late to consider doing a pork shoulder for tonight ? I would be foiling it after a few hours. Currently its 1:30pm in my timezone.

Also, having never done one, is pulled pork the only outcome ? I was also thinking of doing a smaller tenderloin in a similar fashion.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

jonathan posted:

Is it too late to consider doing a pork shoulder for tonight ? I would be foiling it after a few hours. Currently its 1:30pm in my timezone.

Also, having never done one, is pulled pork the only outcome ? I was also thinking of doing a smaller tenderloin in a similar fashion.

Depends on weight. a 10-12lbs pork shoulder takes me 7-9 hours crutching and 11-13 hours not.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

I'm planning on the turkey going on after the brisket and shoulder are pulled to rest and bumping the temp to ~325-350F for a 4hr smoke and crispy skin.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Digital_Jesus posted:

Depends on weight. a 10-12lbs pork shoulder takes me 7-9 hours crutching and 11-13 hours not.

Well I grabbed one and tossed on the pretend smoker. Its only 3 pounds. So I figure 3 hours and then I'll foil it and into the oven.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Digital_Jesus posted:

I must be retarded because much smaller shoulders than that take me ~14 hours minimum at 225.

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 7, 2013

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

I must be retarded because much smaller shoulders than that take me ~14 hours minimum at 225.

*shrug* Don't know what to say other than are you crutching your shoulder and are you sure you're at 225-235?

I'll throw an 8-9lbs butt on and be done in 7-ish hours guaranteed unless something is causing my cooker to lose temp. I foil at around 145-150 and then pull them at 198-203.

Note: I've never done like a 4 pounder so I have no clue.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Digital_Jesus posted:

*shrug* Don't know what to say other than are you crutching your shoulder and are you sure you're at 225-235?

I'll throw an 8-9lbs butt on and be done in 7-ish hours guaranteed unless something is causing my cooker to lose temp. I foil at around 145-150 and then pull them at 198-203.

Note: I've never done like a 4 pounder so I have no clue.

My butts are usually 8-9lb and I more often than not run a touch hotter even (~240). Don't foil that early though. Foil at 160-165 if I had to guess.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Just foil earlier. You're already in stall territory when you're hitting 160-ish and thats just adding unnecessary cook time before you wrap them up. Anything between 145-150 is a good time to get them foiled.

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Never posted results of my first smoking attempt:

Do you guys use mustard before your rub?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

BulimicGoat posted:

Never posted results of my first smoking attempt:

I use mustard every time with pork. But I am partial to the Carolina style bbq with a lot of vinegar, so that may skew my judgment.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

BulimicGoat posted:

I use olive oil for brisket and pork shoulder / butts. Ribs I'll use either mustard or some kind of jelly/jam.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
I just bought a Brinkman electric, and while seasoning it (like it says in the directions) I decided to drop down a thermometer to see what temp it stays at.

Well, it's hovering right around 330. Now this doesn't have any water in the basin or anything but isn't that really high? Does having water in it drop the ambient temp any? I kinda wanted to try a brisket tomorrow and I feel like I'm going to ruin it.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

JGdmn posted:

I just bought a Brinkman electric, and while seasoning it (like it says in the directions) I decided to drop down a thermometer to see what temp it stays at.

Well, it's hovering right around 330. Now this doesn't have any water in the basin or anything but isn't that really high? Does having water in it drop the ambient temp any? I kinda wanted to try a brisket tomorrow and I feel like I'm going to ruin it.

The water pan will drop the internal temp to between 225 and 250. You're golden.

Speaking of golden, if it will hold steady at 330f with no pan, that would make a nice, golden bird.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Thanks! That's a load off.

Here's to hoping an edible brisket comes off this thing today. I gave myself plenty of time, though I'm not smelling the smoke.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

JGdmn posted:

Thanks! That's a load off.

Here's to hoping an edible brisket comes off this thing today. I gave myself plenty of time, though I'm not smelling the smoke.

It's too late now, but usually people recommend doing something like whole chicken (cheap) or pork butt (forgiving) when using a brand new smoker for the first time. Cooking a brisket for your first cook can be a challenge because it's less forgiving of temperature spikes.

Electric smokers, by and large, don't produce the billowing smoke that charcoal or pellet smokers do. As long as the chips are smoldering there still should be a smoke flavor.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I am finding myself in the market for an electric smoker. As I understand it they are better for maintaining lower temperatures, ideal for smoking fish. I have a 18.5 WSM which, while working beautifully for chicken/pork/beef, requires a LOT of babysitting to keep in the 130-150 range for doing salmon. Can anyone recommend a smoker that can maintain these lower temps more steadily? I assumed electric but if a charcoal version will work that is fine too. Many thanks.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a Traeger that has no trouble doing that.

It's an electric pellet smoker, I'm pleased with the results.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

I smoked so much meat...

Smoked turkey - didn't get my smoker hot enough for crispy skin, but it was still drat good.

Sliced up smoked turkey

Brisket

Shoulder

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Would eat.

Seriously, that is making me hungry. That's a drat good looking bird LTBS. Never done a smoked turkey before; seems worthy of attempting. Though I'll admit, only smoking I ever did was burying some hog in my Hawaiian friend's backyard. God bless Kahlua pork.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So smoked turkey... Is the white meat juicy and/or tender ?

Or does the smoking just add flavour ?

Ive had deep fried turkey before which is the best so far.

What about smoking individual pieces or a quartered turkey ?

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

jonathan posted:

So smoked turkey... Is the white meat juicy and/or tender ?

Or does the smoking just add flavour ?

Ive had deep fried turkey before which is the best so far.

What about smoking individual pieces or a quartered turkey ?

I haven't done a full turkey, but I have cooked a few turkey breast roasts. They come out fantastic. Juicy, tender, little bit of smoke flavor...

The problem with a whole turkey is that different parts finish before others. By the time the dark meat is ready to eat, the white meat is overcooked.

Try a breast roast. They cook quick and taste great.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

nummy posted:

The problem with a whole turkey is that different parts finish before others. By the time the dark meat is ready to eat, the white meat is overcooked.

I didn't have this problem at all. It was all juicy and had a good smoke flavor. I used apple wood for the smoke on the turkey and it was perfect.

I did pull it off of the smoker when the breast was at 165F.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

LTBS posted:

I didn't have this problem at all. It was all juicy and had a good smoke flavor. I used apple wood for the smoke on the turkey and it was perfect.

I did pull it off of the smoker when the breast was at 165F.

Nice. Like I said, I haven't done a whole turkey. That's just what I had heard. As far as I'm concerned though, smoked turkey is the only way to go. Deep fried is good too, but smoked is better. If it isn't smoked or deep fried, don't eat it!

I think I used apple as well, though there is a chance it could have been cherry.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Do you guys brine your turkey (whole or just breasts) before you smoke them?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nummy posted:

Nice. Like I said, I haven't done a whole turkey. That's just what I had heard. As far as I'm concerned though, smoked turkey is the only way to go. Deep fried is good too, but smoked is better. If it isn't smoked or deep fried, don't eat it!

Look at this guy who's never had sous vide turkey.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

atothesquiz posted:

Do you guys brine your turkey (whole or just breasts) before you smoke them?

Always! It's the best way to make sure you've got a nice juicy bird after all the cooking.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Will be brining my turk here for Thanksgiving in the 'cajun' style brine I like to use, then making a compound butter to stuff underneath the skin before smoking, always comes out amazing.

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

Made pastrami out of a ~2.5 lb section of the flat I trimmed off of a whole packer brisket. I more or less went by Michael Ruhlman's corn beef recipe with the exception that I left the flat in a 2% brine for around two weeks. I smoked it at 215-degrees over birch and hickory, pulled it out at around 175 degrees internal, foiled it, stuck it in the fridge after an hour on the counter, and chopped it up the next day.

It's really delicious.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

cornface posted:

Do this. You will not regret it.

I made this but I didn't have my smoker, or chuck, or the time to watch it either. So what I made was beef brisket in the oven for almost 24 hours at 100C, but like this. It turned out pretty wonderful despite that.

In other news I found a local farm that raises grass fed highland cattle, organic and high class and all that stuff I actually don't care about, what I do care about is that it's a small farm and I can buy stuff like brisket and chuck from them, rather than being reduced to what I can find in the stores (ground meat essentially). The prices are a bit steep at 16 euros a kilo for chuck, but gently caress if I can find it at all I guess I should take it.

Also thinking about buying beef ribs from them.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Okay, slow cooking goons, I need a suggestion on pairings.

I'm smoking some pulled pork on my gas grill on Friday and need/want to do something else (meat cooking-wise) at the same time. What should I be doing that would be easy? I did a brisket and sausage for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was freaking awesome. Not bad considering it was my first time.

What should I smoke with my pulled pork? What kind of trimmings and stuff should I do?

My wife and I are having it for dinner on Friday night with some homebrew. It's going to be epic.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pork Tenderloin. I have 5x1 lb tenderloins. Is there a low n slow technique for these ? Thinking I will just put them into the oven, get them up to 200 then smoke/brown them over charcoal for 1/2 hour to create a bark.

Opinions ?

Edit: read some opinions on the green egg forums which suggest internal temp no more than 145. Not enough fat in a tenderloin to benefit from high temps.

Ok, instead, should I make a marinade or a rub to sit them in overnight ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LaserWash posted:

Okay, slow cooking goons, I need a suggestion on pairings.

I'm smoking some pulled pork on my gas grill on Friday and need/want to do something else (meat cooking-wise) at the same time. What should I be doing that would be easy? I did a brisket and sausage for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was freaking awesome. Not bad considering it was my first time.

What should I smoke with my pulled pork? What kind of trimmings and stuff should I do?

My wife and I are having it for dinner on Friday night with some homebrew. It's going to be epic.

If you're not dead set on another meat, smoked baked beans is the nectar of the gods.