Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Mornacale posted:

Well, it is true that people will go to the hospital for some pretty frivolous poo poo, so I can imagine that single-payer health care would see more people visiting doctors for colds, sunburns, whatever. In my opinion, a reasonable person would recognize that that's dramatically overbalanced by the increased ability for people to get treatment for serious issues, or to receive preventative/early care that saves a huge amount of grief down the road. But the conservative mindset cares a lot more about people getting what they "deserve" than what they need.

To be fair, this is true. I know I (in Australia) am very happy to go to my local GP for minor issues since I know he bulk-bills (eg. charges me nothing out of hand). The upside is he takes my blood-pressure and checks a few other things while I'm there, which helped spot when mine was going up and got me on medication for it before it became a bigger problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Armyman25 posted:

That's conservative satire? I thought it was an actual ad for the benefits of Obamacare.

We're still working it out. looks like maybe the latter?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I think it's safe to say all Conservative humor reads like parody.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bobservo posted:

I think it's safe to say all Conservative humor reads like parody.

The ad's not humor or parody at all, though, and it's not from conservatives; it's a real pro-ACA ad.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah we already discussed this. It's like some bizzaro Poe's law where the one that looks like horrible satire is in fact real.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Laminator posted:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0024658

Don't expect this to change any minds about anything. Arguing with conservative and being able to bring up facts and statistics doesn't alter the poo poo they get from conservative media. I've had people bring up the "$600/month foodstamps welfare living large not fair~!!" argument, I replied that's nice, but the average payout is $120/month here as seen on this .gov website about SNAP benefits, and if you know someone committing welfare fraud you should report them, and the response is some deflection about how they know people are gaming the system, etc etc blah blah.

I've found that a good gauge of how much people actually know about welfare benefits is to use the terms SNAP and WIC instead of food stamps. Those that complain the most about food stamps and welfare queens give you blank stares when you start talking about SNAP benefits and WIC vouchers.

Thanks.

And no, I fully don't expect it to change anything. He thinks back alley abortions are myths and exaggerations, and that less than a dozen women have been injured or killed because of them. Ever. (Bizarrely, he also considers SB2 to have been fully justified to stop back-alley abortionists like Goznell :psyduck:)

Hopefully I'll have the good sense to keep quiet but...uggghhh...so...difficult.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

Thanks.

And no, I fully don't expect it to change anything. He thinks back alley abortions are myths and exaggerations, and that less than a dozen women have been injured or killed because of them. Ever. (Bizarrely, he also considers SB2 to have been fully justified to stop back-alley abortionists like Goznell :psyduck:)

Hopefully I'll have the good sense to keep quiet but...uggghhh...so...difficult.

Why do you even bother dealing with your family? I have a cousin who, the last time I saw him, was wearing a don't tread on me shirt. You don't see me entertaining his delusions during the holidays, though. Life's too short to spend your time around people like that.

I know they're your family and you should be nice to them, but blood is really only so thick.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

DarkHorse posted:

It's a cliche here at this point, but the combination of "NO ABORTION!" and "NO CONTRACEPTIVES/SEX ED!" only makes sense if punishing women for sex is the root desire. They want them to suffer the "consequences" of their actions (in my opinion, of doing something they wish they could get away with) even if what those consequences are have no bearing in reality and directly contradict their stated stance.

Contraceptives and sex education reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies, some portion of which will be terminated; sex ed and condoms stop more abortions than banning abortion does, but we dare not tell kids how their bodies work (and what the consequences of their actions will be and how to avoid them) because sex is dirty and women should feel bad for having it!

The other thing they believe is that sex is only for procreation and that if you enjoy it, that's okay too, but if you aren't making babies then don't do it. I've had similar arguments over marriage between homosexuals. "They can't procreate, so why let them get married?"

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

V-Men posted:

The other thing they believe is that sex is only for procreation and that if you enjoy it, that's okay too, but if you aren't making babies then don't do it. I've had similar arguments over marriage between homosexuals. "They can't procreate, so why let them get married?"

On this note, a pro LGBT group once actually put a bill forward which would have forbidden marriage for infertile people and annulled marriages for couples who hadn't had a kid in however many years of being together. The bill was of course about as successful as you'd think, but the point was that people could point to it and say that no, marriage really is not about procreation.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Idran posted:

The ad's not humor or parody at all, though, and it's not from conservatives; it's a real pro-ACA ad.

Sorry, was only skimming the thread and didn't get the proper context :shobon:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

bobservo posted:

Sorry, was only skimming the thread and didn't get the proper context :shobon:

It's okay like 20 people made the same mistake, those ads are totally ridiculous. And to be worse they're not funny which is what made us think they were conservative humor from the get-go.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

Wanamingo posted:

Why do you even bother dealing with your family? I have a cousin who, the last time I saw him, was wearing a don't tread on me shirt. You don't see me entertaining his delusions during the holidays, though. Life's too short to spend your time around people like that.

I know they're your family and you should be nice to them, but blood is really only so thick.

Parental guilt can make you deal with some really lovely people.

nyquil hangover fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 14, 2013

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

Because my family is really great when they're not spewing Republican talking points, and anyway I can't abandon my fellow liberal little sister. When it gets too much we'll just go on a walk and laugh about how ridiculous it all is.

Speaking of that though, are there any hard statistics about how many women were and are hurt or killed by illegal abortions? I didn't have anything ready when my dad dropped that on me, because I didn't think the harm of back-alley abortions was even a controversial fact. But apparently illegal abortions weren't a big deal, because any rich, white woman could go to her doctor and get one under the table no problem, and doctors don't have an incentive to hurt their patients because they'll get a bad reputation about a procedure that the woman would never dare tell anyone she had
:psyduck:

Apparently Goznell was the only exception to the rule that back-alley abortions hurt women, and if abortions were illegal then those tragedies wouldn't happen.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

Because my family is really great when they're not spewing Republican talking points, and anyway I can't abandon my fellow liberal little sister. When it gets too much we'll just go on a walk and laugh about how ridiculous it all is.

Speaking of that though, are there any hard statistics about how many women were and are hurt or killed by illegal abortions? I didn't have anything ready when my dad dropped that on me, because I didn't think the harm of back-alley abortions was even a controversial fact. But apparently illegal abortions weren't a big deal, because any rich, white woman could go to her doctor and get one under the table no problem, and doctors don't have an incentive to hurt their patients because they'll get a bad reputation about a procedure that the woman would never dare tell anyone she had
:psyduck:

Apparently Goznell was the only exception to the rule that back-alley abortions hurt women, and if abortions were illegal then those tragedies wouldn't happen.

I've posted this many times in this thread, but if you can convince your dad to sit and watch this, it's worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01RGhgMPn8

If he balks at you, tell him it's a documentary with 90% of it women talking about their experiences before abortion was legal and maybe 10% generic encyclopedia type history of abortion in America information. There are no "shocking" pictures of aborted fetuses or rah-rah abortion arguments. Just women talking about what it was like before Roe v. Wade.

Xarthor fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 13, 2013

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
I keep getting posts from "Being Liberal" on my Facebook feed because of a friend, and the story about the "rape away the gay" pastor being given a suspended sentence just broke there. On both the article they linked and the "Being Liberal" page itself, there are literally people calling for both the pastor and the judge who sentenced him to be publicly murdered, sometimes with ridiculously gory fantasies attached. One person went so far as to say that the judge should be publicly raped by the pastor, then they should both have their genitalia cut off, then murdered in some brutal fashion I don't remember and don't care to look up again. Of course, the standard prison rape fantasy kept coming up, again including the judge. Some people have taken to accusing anyone who speaks against literal lynch mobs of being pedophiles themselves, and I've encountered more than a few people saying that the pastor should be retried, with one claiming that Double Jeopardy doesn't apply to cases in state courts, only Federal (and two people liked that comment!).

:wtc:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Here's one that showed up from an old high school friend today:

I seriously can't believe people believe this stupid bullshit.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I keep getting posts from "Being Liberal" on my Facebook feed because of a friend, and the story about the "rape away the gay" pastor being given a suspended sentence just broke there. On both the article they linked and the "Being Liberal" page itself, there are literally people calling for both the pastor and the judge who sentenced him to be publicly murdered, sometimes with ridiculously gory fantasies attached. One person went so far as to say that the judge should be publicly raped by the pastor, then they should both have their genitalia cut off, then murdered in some brutal fashion I don't remember and don't care to look up again. Of course, the standard prison rape fantasy kept coming up, again including the judge. Some people have taken to accusing anyone who speaks against literal lynch mobs of being pedophiles themselves, and I've encountered more than a few people saying that the pastor should be retried, with one claiming that Double Jeopardy doesn't apply to cases in state courts, only Federal (and two people liked that comment!).

No ideology is free of psychopaths

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

dur posted:

Haha I love the caption.

"Good luck trying to share this it didn't work for me idk if it works 4 u"

What it means to them: Obama is censoring patriotic dissent on Facebook.

What it means to us: Too god damned dumb to attach a file to a post.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
There's not even any such thing as a "Muslim prayer curtain." The closest thing would be the cloth some mosques use to divide male and female attendees. Which means that Obama is hiding a bunch of praying Muslim ladies behind that cloth, I guess.

Edit: Part of me wonders if we would've seen some crazy poo poo like this if Romney had won, just with a Mormon twist. "Which president has a Muslim prayer curtain SECRET MORMON TEMPLE VEIL behind him?"

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it
I've noticed a lot of "Banned by Obama/facebook/youtube/whatever!" riders attached to stupid pics and vids lately. It's a surefire way to get morons to help you fight against the phantasm.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

"Muslim prayer curtain."

"Muslim prayer curtain."

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Haha I love the caption.

"Good luck trying to share this it didn't work for me idk if it works 4 u"

What it means to them: Obama is censoring patriotic dissent on Facebook.

What it means to us: Too god damned dumb to attach a file to a post.

Reminds me of several years ago when people were trying to share Ron Paul videos on Myspace and they were being "censored." It turns out that they were putting a thousand stupid characters in the titles and bodies of their videos and that was setting off the spam filters at Myspace. Of course, they never figured this out and that is why Ron Paul was not president in 2008.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

dur posted:

I'm just picturing a flag version of Umbrella Marine employed by every prior commander-in-chief. Like, Reagan never left a 15ft flag radius.

I saw a forward similar to that about redecorating the oval office with Muslim patterns (Arabic I guess?). The photo was a press room with flat and cornered walls. The pattern wasn't even Arabic, it was the same gold patterned curtains GWB used, similar to the one in that picture. Literally so mad about drapes that they couldn't remember ovals lacking corners.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 13, 2013

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It is clearly impossible that Osama bin Muslim had a flag off to the side or something and instead only wants muslim prayer curtains on every window in the Whitehouse

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Buzkashi posted:

No ideology is free of psychopaths

Oh, I know. I had just hoped that there wouldn't be so many people on the "Being Liberal" page literally parroting Klansman rhetoric ("sometimes it takes a lynch mob to get real justice", to paraphrase one person across multiple posts), or repeating the old "tougher on crime = better than" mentality that keeps getting far-right-wingers elected.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

"To indulge in personal attacks, pick quarrels, vent personal spite or seek revenge instead of entering into an argument and struggling against incorrect views for the sake of unity or progress or getting the work done properly. This is a fifth type [of liberalism]."

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

The Macaroni posted:

Edit: Part of me wonders if we would've seen some crazy poo poo like this if Romney had won, just with a Mormon twist. "Which president has a Muslim prayer curtain SECRET MORMON TEMPLE VEIL behind him?"

Hmm, I think there's something about Romney that makes it so his religion isn't as questioned. I don't know what it is.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Quick, someone find a picture of Michelle Obama wearing something made out of muslin!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Flaskraven posted:

Hmm, I think there's something about Romney that makes it so his religion isn't as questioned. I don't know what it is.
Oh, it would never have been as bad, but it's still an interesting "What if." Evangelicals would only have been able to hold their disdain for Mormons for so long before it exploded.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

VitalSigns posted:

Speaking of that though, are there any hard statistics about how many women were and are hurt or killed by illegal abortions? I didn't have anything ready when my dad dropped that on me, because I didn't think the harm of back-alley abortions was even a controversial fact. .

Don't know if you can see this since I'm on my university connection, but here's a review article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2709326/

The fact is that illegal abortions are very dangerous and have a high morbidity and mortality rate. In developing countries, I believe that illegal abortions are a leading cause of death in younger women. And as we all know from gun debates, criminals don't follow laws...

"Abortion-related deaths are more frequent in countries with more restrictive abortion laws (34 deaths per 100,000 childbirths) than in countries with less restrictive laws (1 or fewer per 100,000 childbirths)"

Laminator fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 13, 2013

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Meanwhile, I wonder what the death rate is for condom usage.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

The Macaroni posted:

Oh, it would never have been as bad, but it's still an interesting "What if." Evangelicals would only have been able to hold their disdain for Mormons for so long before it exploded.

White American Evangelicalism is nothing more than a religious arm of the Republican Party. As long as you are a Republican who hates minorities (but I repeat myself) and talks about Jesus, you are an Evangelical, no matter what you call yourself.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 13, 2013

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

dur posted:

There's a snopes entry with helpful images on it

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/photos/ovaloffice.asp

Or I guess go to any stock site and search "barack obama flag"

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

Michelle Bachmann kept bringing up this really bad talking point about the new health care law.

something like "College Kids don't want to spend 500 dollars on Health Insurance..they'd rather buy an IPhone"

The party of personal responsibility, everyone.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

McDowell posted:

The party of personal responsibility, everyone.

It's also the party of fiscal intelligence where when you lose your job you should immediately sell all of your belongings for a fraction of their worth so you can survive until you get a new job and then have to rebuy them.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Defenestration posted:

There's a snopes entry with helpful images on it

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/photos/ovaloffice.asp

Or I guess go to any stock site and search "barack obama flag"

I like the email saying the oval office has "middle eastern wallpaper" and the hallway having "middle eastern chairs"

And that someone reading it (presumably that person previously being an Obama supporter/voter) would go "OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE. MIDDLE EASTERN CHAIRS!?"

Farrok
May 29, 2006

Laminator posted:

Don't know if you can see this since I'm on my university connection, but here's a review article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2709326/

The fact is that illegal abortions are very dangerous and have a high morbidity and mortality rate. In developing countries, I believe that illegal abortions are a leading cause of death in younger women. And as we all know from gun debates, criminals don't follow laws...

"Abortion-related deaths are more frequent in countries with more restrictive abortion laws (34 deaths per 100,000 childbirths) than in countries with less restrictive laws (1 or fewer per 100,000 childbirths)"

If a specific example helps, there are 200,000 hospitalizations related to botched abortions each year in Brazil: http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1993205,00.html

And 20% of women of child-bearing age terminate at least one pregnancy there. Brazil has a total population of about 200 million, so depending on the age distribution is probably between 10 and 20 million.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

myron cope posted:

I like the email saying the oval office has "middle eastern wallpaper" and the hallway having "middle eastern chairs"

And that someone reading it (presumably that person previously being an Obama supporter/voter) would go "OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE. MIDDLE EASTERN CHAIRS!?"
I bet there's even an ottoman or two in there, the filthy commie.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

NatasDog posted:

I bet there's even an ottoman or two in there, the filthy commie.

My plan for retirement is to open a furniture store called "Ottoman Empire."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Walter posted:

My plan for retirement is to open a furniture store called "Ottoman Empire."

So basically "any furniture store that isn't an Ikea"?