Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
After my crash I lost all motivation on maintaining my tank. Ended up losing almost every one of my corals with the exception of some zoos and part of a leather toadstool. Also had an extreme aiptasia explosion out of nowhere and my fishes were not looking too great.

However after a very long morning my cube has been relocated to the opposite side of my living room, and we are moving full speed ahead on tank rennovation. Gone are the days of nasty looking black sand it's all been switched back to Fiji pink, and now my sump is located in the basement which will make water changes and top offs a breeze. I'll toss some pics up later, next step is to build an enclosure for the new light that I put together (it's pretty boss), and to begin recolonization efforts. Got a shrimp shipment coming in tomorrow to hopefully get rid of what's left of the aiptasia. And new cleanup crew should be here next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sold on the ReefRadiance. Thanks guys

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So my fiance and my experiment in fish eugenics apparently has failed. We have mollies in our salt tank, and up until now they would give birth, then eat all of the fry. Well, we decided to try keeping some of them alive by putting them in a breeder net and each week, separating out the pretty ones, tossing the drab ones back in to get eaten. Unfortunately we still have a good chunk of them still alive, I think about 20 of them, besides the pretty ones that are in the breeder net still. We also have a Bullet Goby but he doesn't seem as interested in the babies.

I was wondering what you guys suggested for something to help cull the herd now that the parents have decided that baby McNuggets are no longer on the menu, even when they haven't eaten. None of the rest of the tank really has much of an interest in the babies either, being as they are a herd of hermit crabs, and a single blue damselfish. The tank is not a reef tank, and has a sand substrate because of my Gobies. Do you guys have any suggestions of something that won't be aggressive towards my adult fish, but wouldn't mind munching on baby mollies? My salinity is 1.020, and is well established. The parents don't even seem to want to eat freshly birthed babies as much as they used to.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 29, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I've never had mollies eat ALL of my fry before, though admittedly I've only kept a few generations thereof. That's pretty neat.

But basically any small fish with a mouth big enough should eat all the fry. My recommendation would be some kind of medium-sized (i.e. not a small Paracheilinus) wrasse, anything in the non-reef-safe menu at LiveAquaria. But I'm not certain because any flasher or aggressive wrasse may also gently caress with your chicken selects (adult mollies) just on principle too.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Would a bangai cardinal eat them? They have pretty large mouths and are a pretty chill fish.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

visuvius posted:

Would a bangai cardinal eat them? They have pretty large mouths and are a pretty chill fish.

My banggai cardinal would eat anything that he could fit in his mouth. Though he would only eat stuff in the water column, so I would think that fish fry would have been delicious to him.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Took the clowns out of the office tank, put these in:

Not pictured: the candycane pistol shrimp.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So we have decided to get a Squirrelfish next paycheck to solve our fry problem since a Wrasse would attack our hermit crabs and our single damselfish would probably beat up the Cardinal.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 30, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Depends on the wrasse. I've never heard of a melanurus wrasse going after the standard hermit crab.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Yes, that's right, I got a mojo. Wanna fight about it?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

api call girl posted:

Yes, that's right, I got a mojo. Wanna fight about it?

Ive got green hair... that's about it :( Been dosing H2O2, no real signs of improvement. I think it might be time to change out the RO/DI filters, but they're still reading 0-1 TDS.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I got my office tank to turn an 180--I went like 10 months without changing media, pumps and filtration were partially clogged, water movement was slow as poo poo, lots of hair algae and cyano mat buildup, etc., corals were getting smothered, overfeeding and under-filtration led to a rise in bristles, clowns were looking severely unhappy.

I took the clowns home, changed the filter media, switched the old media basket to an inTank job, added some kalk in the topoff bottle to help raise pH and add a bit of calcium, and freshened up the cuc, including adding 2 chitons.

Look at that sucker go.

Anyway, no "before", just a "during". I'll take an "after" tank shot tomorrow.

e: that mojo is in my 1.5gal pico, I'm not that irresponsible/dumb, though it's a pretty little guy particularly under LEDs
e2: partial "after"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 6, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
"now"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How fat are the chitons after eating all that? Got any good pictures of them?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Unfortunately no, they cover themselves with what they eat for camouflage. So one of them is covered with hair algae (and you can see it is hanging out on that big magnet scraper on the left) and the other is covered with a cyano mat.

They haven't gotten any noticeably bigger, and given that they're entirely covered by this hard as hell plate, probably would take a lot to actually grow.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone here dealt with cuttlefish? I'm debating on making a 100 some odd gallon tank into a species dedicated one for common cuttles, and connected tanks for raising them from eggs. They're incredible to see. I think that since they can adapt and camouflage to any environment, you could put a lot of brilliant corals and weird aquascaping for it to blend with without it getting stressed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgDE2DOICuc

I've got plenty of resources to help me if I make that decision, but it would be interesting to hear others experiences. Also coldwater tanks. I'd be running a chiller with this set up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Volkerball posted:

Has anyone here dealt with cuttlefish? I'm debating on making a 100 some odd gallon tank into a species dedicated one for common cuttles, and connected tanks for raising them from eggs. They're incredible to see. I think that since they can adapt and camouflage to any environment, you could put a lot of brilliant corals and weird aquascaping for it to blend with without it getting stressed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgDE2DOICuc

I've got plenty of resources to help me if I make that decision, but it would be interesting to hear others experiences. Also coldwater tanks. I'd be running a chiller with this set up.

Cephalopods in general, and Cuttlefish in particular, are incredibly smart, amazing creatures that you'll bond with more than possibly any other aquarium inhabitant.

And then they die. Hamsters live longer.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Fascinating creatures. It is a real shame they have such short lifespans. I've not seen them in the UK.

Mr. Saltwater Tank has a short segment on beautiful captive bred flamboyant cuttlefish at MACNA this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8FZd2508i04#t=23

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Chitons ho!

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Too cool, I was super sad when my chiton from reef cleaners showed up dead.

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

So wow. I can't believe how many cool things have popped up in my tank over the past year. I'm just over a year with my tank and things are going swimmingly!

I love my hermit crabs and I don't care who knows it.

This is some kind of sponge that I haven't looked up yet. No idea what it is other than- it is a sponge!

:catstare: gimme mysis shrimp god drat it :catstare:

I took loads of pictures of the bristle worms I had recently discovered. I like this picture because I was able to see more bristle pokey things WITHIN the other bristle pokey things. So now instead of these worms creeping me out I can appreciate them more because they are pretty complex little guys.

Hmm. No, they are still a bit creepy.

Very new bubble algae

Sexy shrimp.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Did I post this?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I know this must have been covered a while back in this thread, but what's the consensus on bristleworms? I thought they were good guys. What harm can they do?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Juice Box Hero posted:

I know this must have been covered a while back in this thread, but what's the consensus on bristleworms? I thought they were good guys. What harm can they do?

I've caught mine munching on zoanthids more than once. I've thinned them out quite a bit.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

MrYenko posted:

I've caught mine munching on zoanthids more than once. I've thinned them out quite a bit.

Oh, I thought they just ate detritus. The more you know!

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

api call girl posted:

Did I post this?

Wooo. You did say you had a lot!

I'm leaving my worms because they haven't done any damage that I've seen.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yeah they're generally harmless. But if you somehow gently caress up and they overpopulate, from my observation they can and will do some damage as they starve themselves out.

Also they were so numerous that when I was doing first-pass turn-around maintenance on the tank I managed to get myself stung in two fingers on my right hand.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 11, 2013

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

Are the bristle stings like;
a. a bee sting
b. a pin/needle prick
c. a pain that cannot be described (extremely painful)
d. no big whoop
e. other _______

I trust your experience.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Kind of like splinters. A bundle of splinters. In fact, two bundles of splinters.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't regularly pet them, but to me it just felt more like a minor skin irritation instead of a sting.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Topside of one of these chitons, not obscured by hair/cyano.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cute little guy :). What the hell is going on in the previous picture with the bristle worms? Are you introducing or extracting them?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I can't speak for bristle worms, but man, gently caress accidentally brushing a sea sponge while snorkeling.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013
In the spirit of showing some of our odder aquarium inhabitants; here is a picture of a giant bergia nudibrach from our tank. Unfortunately, even a giant bergia is still tiny, so my iphone refused to focus on it directly. I should also note, that this tank is only running as a science project at this point; we pulled out all of the salable inhabitants and just left the tank up to watch until we move in a few months. It is currently filled with aiptasia, hair algae and lots of plankton.

[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-MnjFNRqnJjY/UoOoum68ghI/AAAAAAAAAeI/P_mXbNWarnM/s640/IMG_3537.JPG][/img]

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SynthOrange posted:

Cute little guy :). What the hell is going on in the previous picture with the bristle worms? Are you introducing or extracting them?

Extracting. I pulled two of them out the past couple days that actually shifted the rockwork as they came out.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'm moving my tank to my new apartment on Wednesday. Wish me luck!

Fortunately we've become buddy buddy enough with the LFS folks that they're gonna help us do it as a 'service call' for the price of beer and cupcakes.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJxQZyAGW2U

Short video of my yasha haze pair "hanging out".

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Well, mandarin must have heard we were moving, decided today would be a good day to die. Dunno why, was fine the other day. :smith:

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

SaNChEzZ posted:

Well, mandarin must have heard we were moving, decided today would be a good day to die. Dunno why, was fine the other day. :smith:

Sorry to hear that, mandarins are beautiful fish with a lot of personality. How long did you have her for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Two and a half years ish. This one was sir smoochies the second. The first one went carpet surfing :(

• Locked thread