Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

cancerianmoth posted:

so i won a battle i thought I was going to lose. Where do you find the videos you saved? I was actually quite proud on how it turned out, I'll edit the video code in once i find it.

Also, is there an easier way to add people you meet online? Seems like if you interact with an acquaintance you have to do a separate thing again in order to get the prompt to add them to your list. I'm trying to avoid just sticking my friend code up on the trading thread. Its almost cheating knowing what I'll get. I've been fortunate enough to get ghost, water, ice and fighting safaris so far with decent pokemon.

To view your videos just use the VS seeker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

VS Recorder. There is no VS Seeker in XY.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

abaddonis posted:

If you use the Everstone, you can get rid around the issue of the incorrect nature. What ability are you using for your Greninja, Torrent or Protean?

Protean. I guess I'll hunt down a Modest Ralts or whatever with Synchronize. Could I have a dead Ralts in slot 1 with Synchronize and a pokemon with Cute Charm that'd battle and run into more female Modest pokemon? Does that work?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Protean. I guess I'll hunt down a Modest Ralts or whatever with Synchronize. Could I have a dead Ralts in slot 1 with Synchronize and a pokemon with Cute Charm that'd battle and run into more female Modest pokemon? Does that work?

Yes. Same goes for Compound Eyes.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Yup, totally saved me a ton of time and headache while searching for 1/8 female Pokemon.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Hey guys, are event Pokes all the same? Like, IV-wise are the all the same exact thing?

Almost all event pokes are random IV and nature that you could reset for. Shiny event Pokes have pre-set natures. Occasionally they'll distribute a Pokemon with one pre-set 31 IV such as the Ash's Pokemon they did in early gen 5.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Jesus, I can only imagine the amount of rage that must've been going on at the other side after I played this one:
D7AG-WWWW-WWW2-RNLB

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Oraculum Animi posted:

Yes. Same goes for Compound Eyes.

canoshiz posted:

Yup, totally saved me a ton of time and headache while searching for 1/8 female Pokemon.

Fantastic. Now to find a Modest thing with Synchronize!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Is Scrafty workable in a competitive team?

As mentioned earlier, Bulk-Up and Drain Punch is a fantastic combo, but Scrafty really shines if you give him Shed Skin and Rest. He can set up on any wall without Roar, and with max Special Defense, it'll take super-effective hits or extremely powerful STAB moves to come close to 2HKOing him. Just get rid of fairies and you're good to go.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Scrafty with Drain Punch / Crunch / Rest / Bulk-Up with Shed Skin and Leftovers is a goddamn brick shithouse, and can gently caress up entire teams.

Scrafty with Drain Punch / Crunch / Dragon Dance / Poison Jab and a Lum Berry and Moxie is a great DD sweeper. G5 used Ice Punch as the last move, and you still can, but PJ gives him an option for fairies, who would otherwise wall him.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

So I just picked this up and am slightly lost reading this thread. How do I work out EVs and other such hidden things?

Is it worth bothering with that stuff before finishing the single player stuff?

Would it still be really annoying to have a Bunch of max level metapods?

Am I the only one crazy psyched to have a pikachu and a venusaur and all three elemental monkeys?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

lenoon posted:

So I just picked this up and am slightly lost reading this thread. How do I work out EVs and other such hidden things?

Am I the only one crazy psyched to have a pikachu and a venusaur and all three elemental monkeys?

1. Don't worry about EVs until you beat the game. There's easy info to understand things like EVs (extra stat points gained from defeating certain Pokemon, or doing the Super Training) and IVs (stat modifiers that are set when a Pokemon is encountered/born) but you don't really need them to beat the single player game.

Yes it'd be annoying but not all that effective. Leave that kind of thing to bug catchers standing in the middle of a forest.

You're not the only one I'm sure! Pikachus can be caught early in the game, when you enter the first forest area! They're a little rare but they're adorbs and unlike everything else in the game actually use sound clips from the anime. :3:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

lenoon posted:

EVs and IVs are all things competitive players sperg out about and it's a lot easier to work with them in the post game, so don't bother if you haven't beaten the E4 yet.

What do you mean by max level Metapods? A team of nothing but level 100 Metapods? That'd probably be really annoying to raise and really weird to face.

I was psyched too for the Kanto starters, but you might be one of the only ones psyched for the monkeys. Those monkeys are poo poo. :colbert:

Edit:

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

You're not the only one I'm sure! Pikachus can be caught early in the game, when you enter the first forest area! They're a little rare but they're adorbs and unlike everything else in the game actually use sound clips from the anime. :3:

Are you sure they're rare? I ran into nothing but Pikachu for a good 10 minutes the first time I set foot into Santalune Forest.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ChaosArgate posted:

Are you sure they're rare? I ran into nothing but Pikachu for a good 10 minutes the first time I set foot into Santalune Forest.

I can verify that I was rolling in Pikachus for that entire forest.
Like, every other encounter.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Starting to believe the friend safari theory

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The metapods was something I did as an eleven year old playing in the dim and misty past of red/blue. It was very very annoying.

Really looking forward to playing and getting in to this one, my new job involves about two and a half hours on a bus every day, so bought this to while away that time. Is it worth gathering friend codes for safari now or wait until I've got something worth trading?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Pikachus are quite rare in the forest normally. But Static makes Electric Pokemon way more common. Did you two stick a Pikachu at the front of your party after catching it?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

McDragon posted:

Pikachus are quite rare in the forest normally. But Static makes Electric Pokemon way more common. Did you two stick a Pikachu at the front of your party after catching it?

I only had a Fennekin when I started seeing Pikachu, but yeah, I did after catching one. Pikachu was the first Pokemon I saw though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

McDragon posted:

This makes sense. Yeah, this is exactly what happened :shobon:
I think my party at that point consisted of Chespin, Pidgey, Bunnelby, and Weedle, so Pikachu would have gone straight into my party when I caught it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm trying to breed a Lapris with +s atk. I set out on this endeavor to breed one with +s atk, -atk, but that's proving to be a challenge. Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I settled for a +s atk, -spd Lapris?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Finally got my 5IV Immunity Gligar, and man is he adoriable in the Amie. :3:

I also have some 4IV Immunity Gligars leftover, if anyone is interested.

Admiral Lasers posted:

I'd like one, please!
All right, let's take it to the trading thread.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 13, 2013

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

I'd like one, please! My code is 4811-7591-4143
I've also just found out my Friend Safari contains eevees!

Admiral Lasers fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 13, 2013

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I got wondertraded a timid, protean Froakie, with 31s in everything but Attack, that had a rather interesting nickname. When I entered the nickname into a browser, it redirected me to a deviantArt drawing of pregnant Misty. I don't know how I feel about this.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

everythingWasBees posted:

I got wondertraded a timid, protean Froakie, with 31s in everything but Attack, that had a rather interesting nickname. When I entered the nickname into a browser, it redirected me to a deviantArt drawing of pregnant Misty. I don't know how I feel about this.

Never Google anything about Pokemon ever, at all. It can only end badly.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Has anyone tried the new type of Nuzlocke that was developed for X/Y? Its called Wonderlocke, where you catch the first 6 pokemon you see and then wonder trade them and then you must use whatever pokemon you receive in return (barring duplicates, legendaries, and in some cases high levels if you dont want pokemon who wont listen to you because of badges). If one of those faint you must wonder trade it away and start anew with whatever you get back. I'm trying it and its really kind of cool, I got a Spewpa, Lapras, Absol, Panpour, Throh, and a Noibat with this one, all pokemon I've never actually used before. I added other rules to make it harder, like not being able to use Exp. Share and all pokemon must be maxed out in Poke-Amie to cement bonds and make it worse if they die. It's a lot of fun.

Lazaruise fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 13, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Admiral Lasers posted:

I'd like one, please! My code is 4811-7591-4143
I've also just found out my Friend Safari contains eevees!

Add me, please. I neeeeed Eevees!
FC: 0989-2944-5596
In Game Name: Clue.

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

Lazaruise posted:

Has anyone tried the new type of Nuzlocke that was developed for X/Y? Its called Wonderlocke, where you catch the first 6 pokemon you see and then wonder trade them and then you must use whatever pokemon you receive in return (barring duplicates, legendaries, and in some cases high levels if you dont want pokemon who wont listen to you because of badges). If one of those faint you must wonder trade it away and start anew with whatever you get back. I'm trying it and its really kind of cool, I got a Spewpa, Lapras, Absol, Panpour, Throh, and a Noivern with this one, all pokemon I've never actually used before. I added other rules to make it harder, like not being able to use Exp. Share and all pokemon must be maxed out in Poke-Amie to cement bonds and make it worse if they die. It's a lot of fun.

It does sound fun, but I'd miss being able to nickname them.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

Pyrocat posted:

It does sound fun, but I'd miss being able to nickname them.

I miss that too, though some of the nicknames I got are pretty good (Throh's name is Segal). But having Poke-Aime helps alot in attachment aspect.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If I have 2 pokemon with identical 5IV spreads (31/31/31/31/X/31) is it impossible for their children to be anything but that spread?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Balon posted:

If I have 2 pokemon with identical 5IV spreads (31/31/31/31/X/31) is it impossible for their children to be anything but that spread?

If you don't use the Destiny Knot, a Pokemon only inherits 3 IVs from its parents and the other 3 are randomized.

If you use a Destiny Knot, 5 IVs are passed down between both parents but not necessarily the parent holding the Destiny Knot. This is unlike the Power item breeding, which inherits that specific IV from the Pokemon holding it.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

notthegoatseguy posted:

If you don't use the Destiny Knot, a Pokemon only inherits 3 IVs from its parents and the other 3 are randomized.

I thought a Pokemon inherits 3 IVs from each parent! I've got an everstone on one of the parents and the knot on the other.

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

Balon posted:

I thought a Pokemon inherits 3 IVs from each parent! I've got an everstone on one of the parents and the knot on the other.

Then you've got a 1/6 chance that the child will pick the dump stat that both parents have and have 5 perfect IVs.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Balon posted:

Give one of them the Destiny Knot, and you will have 1/6 chance of getting a child you want, with the exception of abilities and gender. (make sure you give the one with the nature you want an Everstone)

efb

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Zahki posted:

Jesus, I can only imagine the amount of rage that must've been going on at the other side after I played this one:
D7AG-WWWW-WWW2-RNLB
Holy poo poo that 1 HP left at the end :haw:

I did this one yesterday while waiting for a friend's connection to unfuck itself, still quite pleased with Masquerain: XDQG-WWWW-WWW2-R7PS

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

lenoon posted:

The metapods was something I did as an eleven year old playing in the dim and misty past of red/blue. It was very very annoying.

Really looking forward to playing and getting in to this one, my new job involves about two and a half hours on a bus every day, so bought this to while away that time. Is it worth gathering friend codes for safari now or wait until I've got something worth trading?

You won't be able to use Friend Safari until you beat the game and other people would only see 2 Pokemon in your safari until you do, so there's no real rush. I keep entering some of my friend's safaris to see if they've beaten the game yet, but some of them haven't finished it.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
What kind of stall teams is anyone here running, if any? Cause I am starting to miss the weather wars already :qq:.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

ChaosArgate posted:

I was psyched too for the Kanto starters, but you might be one of the only ones psyched for the monkeys. Those monkeys are poo poo. :colbert:

Pansear and Simisear are great :colbert:

Emong fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 13, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Emong posted:

Pansear and Simisear and great :colbert:

Get out of here forever. Don't ever come back.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

noirstronaut posted:

Get out of here forever. Don't ever come back.

I'm sorry you cannot appreciate a cool fire monkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Khagan posted:

What kind of stall teams is anyone here running, if any? Cause I am starting to miss the weather wars already :qq:.

Rain stall still works, but you really need a politoed w/damp rock to do it now. I've had a lot of success with a subseed ludicolo in ranked doubles.

• Locked thread