Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

hiddenmovement posted:

I've got the worst loving frenchman on my squad at the moment. He's a squaddie sniper and he's missed 12 shots in a row now, never gonna rank up. He's becoming a robot first chance I get.

I had this happen on vanilla. I had a sniper who was bugged or something and just NEVER hit stuff. The worst part is he was one of only two original team survivors since he was always on the B team. :psyduck:. He almost fully ranked up, and was still missing every 70+% shot there was.

This expansion is super fun. I'm loving the mec soldiers flamethrower, and meld is really forcing me to change my tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

quiggy stardust posted:

Also I'm requesting a version of :fireman: with the fireman replaced with a Meld canister.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Attention Horse posted:

Is GreenManGaming sending out Enemy Within keys to people in Europe right now? I would like to buy the key and VPN it.

I doubt we'll get them before Thursday evening.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Is there a working resource hacker for EW yet?

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

az posted:

Is there a working resource hacker for EW yet?

Just do the same thing you did for EU. The .exe is in Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32. Open it in resource hacker and the ini stuff is in exactly the same spot, just with new data.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
How NOT to spend your MELD, a short guide by Fintilgin:

1.) Repeatedly repairing your single mech suit because you keep getting the operator killed.

:negative:

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Is there still a good pre-order deal going on, aside from the -10% on Steam itself? I totally forgot to keep an eye out for this game.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

You can't pre-order something that's already released.

That said, this game is totally worth full price.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

The Rat posted:

You can't pre-order something that's already released.

It's not released outside of NA yet and Steam still shows a 10% discount for me until it gets released here (Nov. 15).

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Jolan posted:

Is there still a good pre-order deal going on, aside from the -10% on Steam itself? I totally forgot to keep an eye out for this game.

Go to GreenManGaming and use this code at the checkout: GMG25-C5729-7SY25. I think it's -25%.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
For the guy who asked: no, you can't delay the second Slingshot mission anymore. If you pass it up, the Council won't give you a second shot.

I've discovered EXALT's base in my current Classic run. loving England. First to wimp out of XCOM, now they're harboring traitors. I'll learn em good.

Took me about 10 or so Covert Ops to narrow it down. Having a dedicated secret agent is key. Particularly, Operatives can gently caress with EXALT relays even while cloaked, so give them Mimetic Skin and have them dash from relay to relay.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
Does getting wounded still start a frenzy of friendly fire via panic?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

hhhmmm posted:

Does getting wounded still start a frenzy of friendly fire via panic?

No, they changed how panic works. Seems like most of the time they'll just hunker down, or run away and hunker down.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Had my first mission against exalt, I was playing super carefully as if I were fighting elite mutons. Then I accidentally left my heavy out of cover and a sniper took a shot at him. I was making GBS threads my pants and expecting a huge crit that would murder him, but he simply shrugged off 2 damage :v:

Also, the english female MEC voice #2 sounds a lot like Aigis from Persona 3 (aka Karen Strassman). I'm trying to confirm this but I can't find the credits for EW online and it's driving me nuts.

Vengarr posted:

No, they changed how panic works. Seems like most of the time they'll just hunker down, or run away and hunker down.

Specifically, they greatly reduced the odds of friendly fire, but it should still happen if you're really unlucky.

year199X fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 13, 2013

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
It's less likely, because panicked soldiers have an aim penalty now, I think.

But I just had a full squad wipe on the first mission because of friendly fire, so it can still happen. Oh, yes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why are european release dates still a thing. :negative:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That was a real marathon session of XCOM. Some of my favorite moments:

Now we see why Vahlen wasn't interested in EXALT gene mods: they kill your brain cells.

"I STILL FEEL SUSCEPTIBLE! I FEEL VERY SUSCEPTIBLE!"

:frogout:

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Can MECs be used as cover? Cause that would be pretty drat cool.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
MECs get an ability called One For All that turns them into full cover, which I'm pretty sure they can't attack while using it or it'll stop working.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Kanos posted:

I actually find the kinetic strike module to be badly inferior early on. The flamethrower can kill entire packs of revealed enemies all the way up to chryssalids/mutons, can panic bigger enemies, hits in a gigantic arc, and destroys light cover as a bonus. It only has two shots, but I've never had a situation where I've needed more than two. The kinetic gives you better mobility and huge damage, but I almost never find myself feeling comfortable committing to running an expensive MEC into melee range with an alien who may have friends behind him in the fog. The KSM will definitely outpace it by the end of the game, but I find the flamer indispensable for the first couple months.

I solved the riddle of Portent by washing an army of Thin Men in flames.

I had a MEC with KS and never had a chance to use it.

Then I had a MEC with a flamethrower, and had all these changes to use KS.

Also, Progeny seems kinda like Slingshot - stupidly hard first mission.

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 13, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I haven't been following this thread for a long time and only recently heard there's an expansion. Without trawling through pages and pages and getting most of the expansion spoiled is there an OP like post for it that someone could link me to or just a summary of what's in it and whether it's good or not would do.

http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/XCOM:_Enemy_Within

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot that Europe is a lovely starting place compared to other locations. Still, I'm half way through month 1, have done a bunch of missions (they really shotgun them at you now, there's no time ot rest), I'm on my way to getting three more sats up, building my engineering bay to get Mecs, and I'm researching Xeno-biology which I'm switching to lasers because if what I've heard about it is true I am hosed. Or can I sneak by with just a mec, some gene augs, and ballistics?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is there a way to alter your starting number of soldiers?

This expansion is the best holy poo poo. :allears:

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
They've definitely adjusted the way spawning works. Enemy locations are often less predictable - they're only sometimes in the spawn points I know about, and it's not infrequent to find weird behaviors like two enemy groups on top of one another in the back corner of the map. The biggest visual telegraph of the new spawn system is those green goopy bodies - I'm pretty sure they were present at every sectoid spawn point in abduction missions before, but now the group-triggering scene plays with a body present, which will only disappear once the scene ends and the sectoids scamper off. Weird!

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

Apologies if this has been answered previously (trying to avoid even minor spoilers) but if you squad wipe on the first Council mission with the new campaign option activated does it kill that thread of missions or do you get to replay the first one on the next council mission? It'd be nice to know so I know if I should restart or not.

Salt Maker
Feb 5, 2006
Halogen was already taken
Has anyone else had this error:

EW starts fine and I get the intro video and briefing, but once Bradford finish his little briefing the game crashes.

Enemy Unknown still works, and I've turned all my settings down to low. It seems I can't get past the load screen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What are the requirements for all the medal, by the way? I got the Defender one but don't know if that's just for beating a council mission or something else.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I spotted a group of patrolling mutons thanks to abusing mimetic skin. While in the process of setting up an ambush, they teleported to the other side of the map.

I thought this was fixed. :colbert:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I'm gonna have to start a game on Normal or just not Ironman because I still haven't been able to get through the first Progeny mission.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So uh.. is there any reason to built an Shiv when you have a mec solider?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

DrManiac posted:

Ethical reasons I guess?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

This owns, you own.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

DrManiac posted:

SHIVs don't cost Meld, is a pretty friggin' big reason for keeping SHIVs on the table.

Only problem is that I tend to deprioritize the research for SHIVs so much that they become effectively useless before I actually get them v:shobon:v

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I swear the only thing keeping my game going is my 105 will, 115 aim MEC.

The day he got his limbs cut off in the name of humanity was the day he went to the gently caress Charity and shut it down for good.

Also skill roulette or whatever its called is hilarious and makes leveling rookies addicting. You wind up with a few monsters, a few stinkers, and a whole lot of confusing poo poo.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Attention Horse posted:

Go to GreenManGaming and use this code at the checkout: GMG25-C5729-7SY25. I think it's -25%.

Oh hell yes, you're awesome. Got it for just over €20 thanks to that code. I'll name my first MEC after you.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Has anyone finished Operation Progeny yet? Are the final rewards from Progeny as game breaking as the ones from Slingshot?

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Really disliking the fact that if you use dash outside of visual range the enemy knows exactly what tile you are standing on when you finish the dash. Then they also have an encyclopedic knowledge of what tiles can shoot at your dashy man and will immediately move there and shoot at your dude.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Shiv's seem to get some new upgrades that I don't recognize. 'Sentinel SHIV' and something about automated repairs. It does look like they got something, but I'll never field one with my plasma cannon MECs or my regenerative support or my invisible, leaping tall buildings in a single bound sniper.

Psychic lab in 10 days. I feel like there's a ton more missions right now and I'm rather glad I'm on normal to play with the toys; otherwise I'd be totally hosed in terms of having a team that isn't my A-team.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I like how I feel totally overwhelmed with all this new stuff. Discovering all of this stuff for the first time on classic is actually making me feel like I'm under extreme pressure to figure out how to proceed down the tech tree.

I'm definitely going to play again on normal so I can go balls out and see how different combinations work out, though. Skill roulette also sounds like it can be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It kind of feels like what Firaxis did when they expanded Civilization 5. More options than you can realistically pursue at once.

• Locked thread