Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monstertruckdriver
Jul 23, 2006
give em another 3% and make em water
This is Andy, he's my first dog. My wife and I got him from the shelter last Friday. He's a Great Pyrenees mix, which is clear from his double dew claw and love of endlessly patrolling the house. I'm curious what people think the rest of him is, though. He doesn't bark all the time like Pyrs can do, and he's around 55 pounds at present (the vet thinks he'll gain about 10 pounds as he gets used to things).

His ears are stuck like that, it's the cutest

Shot of his body showing his at times corkscrew tail and markings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

monstertruckdriver posted:

This is Andy, he's my first dog. My wife and I got him from the shelter last Friday. He's a Great Pyrenees mix, which is clear from his double dew claw and love of endlessly patrolling the house. I'm curious what people think the rest of him is, though. He doesn't bark all the time like Pyrs can do, and he's around 55 pounds at present (the vet thinks he'll gain about 10 pounds as he gets used to things).

I see a lot of Pyr/Collie-type crosses coming from more rural areas now. He's adorable, whatever the mix.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah I could totally see Pyr/border collie as a possibility.

BreakinDecency
Apr 14, 2006

Here's Logan, rescued from the shelter last Tuesday. He's a husky cross from the Yukon but he's doing well here in the city. Medium sized and fully grown at age 3. We thought he might have some shepherd mixed in but he seems a bit on the small side at around 50 lbs.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^if Logan is actually from the Yukon he's probably an Alaskan husky which is a type of dog used for sledding more than an actual breed.

monstertruckdriver posted:

I love this dog and would agree with some kind of Pyr/herding breed mix.

But seriously post more pictures of him I love him.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

BreakinDecency posted:

Here's Logan, rescued from the shelter last Tuesday. He's a husky cross from the Yukon but he's doing well here in the city. Medium sized and fully grown at age 3. We thought he might have some shepherd mixed in but he seems a bit on the small side at around 50 lbs.

Could just be the colouring, but the dog looks like a Shiba cross at first glance. Crossed with what, I'm not too sure. Generic shepherd mutt maybe? Shiba x Alaskan cross?

monstertruckdriver
Jul 23, 2006
give em another 3% and make em water
Thanks for your Andy guesses, all. His pointy and black-rimmed ears had me thinking husky or one of those types, but looking at border collie pictures I'm fairly well convinced. It would also explain his smarts, he's a budding escape artist and I know that I need to get better at coming up with things for him to do.

That's very nice of you to say, Topoisomerase, here's some more.

This is what greeted me when I went home for lunch on Monday. I have since "dog-proofed" the room.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Aravenna posted:

Okay I love that dog. More pictures please. Are her ears really the size of her head? I would flop them over her eyes all day long.

More pictures? Why, of course. :allears: Her ears are pretty big, but only from the side. They have a really deep fold, so from the front, unless they're pricked up at attention, they lay pretty flat. Also, her head is kinda small for her body.

This is on Bath Day. She was not happy during, but certainly loved sun drying afterward.

She is not one of those up with the sunrise dogs. When I get up in the mornings, she moves into my warm spot and goes back to sleep. The other morning I covered her up, thinking that she'd move, and when I got out of the shower, this is how she was.

Trying on Halloween costumes.

fuckin' fabulous

Esme Nova
Jun 28, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Here are some other pictures.

Her mother looks like a lab but is very small and slender (maybe 45 lbs), she's too small to be a lab.

This is the mother:

You have a really cute puppy! Congrats.
The mom reminds me of my mutt Bean, a border collie/lab rescue. He's around 50lbs. People always assume he's a female lab puppy even at three years old.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I've already posted Jax pretty recently but I had to update with this because we finally capture "the Jax look." This is basically what he looks like all the time. He is a dumbass in the best possible way.

FWIW we still suspect he is a BC/Chow mix, maybe a little shepherd? Hard to say.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Current status: fabulous

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
This is a dog that's available for adoption in my city:

Her name's Candy. Looks like they pretty much just stuck a lab head on a short-legged dog breed body. I dunno. Beagle? Dachshund?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

aghastly posted:

Her name's Candy. Looks like they pretty much just stuck a lab head on a short-legged dog breed body. I dunno. Beagle? Dachshund?

Basset Hound

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

aghastly posted:

Haha, oh my gosh, look at that nose! That is the most awkwardly adorable dog ever. Is she underweight though? I don't know if seeing those ribs and spine knobs is normal. Maybe after she gains a little weight she'll look more in proportion. V:v:V

edit: Here are some more shelter dogs of mysterious breeding!

Here is Willow, billed as a chihuahua/terrier mix, 15.5lbs

And Kanga, whose name is spot on, as she looks like a little kangaroo. Listed as rat terrier/chihuahua mix, 12lbs

Double Plus Good fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 15, 2013

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I posted Magdalene some in the Yappy Rat dog thread, before my last computer bit the dust, and I was without one for several months. She's a chihuahua/miniature dachshund mix, so tossing her in here too.

Sometimes, she looks like a perfectly well behaved dog (this picture is a bit old, as she's only just over a year old in it, and is now 2).

Other times, not so much.

Also, she has huge ears.

And her brother Scrappy.

Terboh
Mar 30, 2005

Double Plus Good posted:

Here is Willow, billed as a chihuahua/terrier mix, 15.5lbs

I would not recommend feeding that dog after midnight.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Angel at the animal shelter before adoption (2-3 months ago):

Angel at home:

Guess she's a yellow lab mix (no kidding :) ), no idea what with. Very people friendly, turned out to be completely house-broken and very mellow when we got her home. She hasn't had a single accident. She's also pretty smart and was easy to train the few commands we've worked on (sit, down, crate) and handles sleeping in her crate at night just fine.

We got really lucky with her, no major health or behavioral issues. She is a chewer and a bit of a digger though, but we're working on those. She's also extremely wary around other dogs. She does OK meeting one dog at a time but more than that and she'll start snarling/snapping if they get close. I'm guessing she had some bad experiences with other dogs in the past due to this and how submissive she is.

She was 45lbs and extremely skinny when we got her, with pronounced ribs showing at all times. She's up to 55lbs now and we're gonna try to keep her around there or possibly a little less.

She's generally very mellow around the house, though she can get pushy with begging for petting, but occasionally she'll start running around in laps tossing her toys in the air. For some reason when she really gets into it she starts whining while she plays with her toys. She's ripped up every toy she's had so far except for a cheap Mr. Bill doll we got her that says "Oh nooooo!" when you squeeze it. She hasn't put a single tear in that one and it's usually the one she's whining with when playing. We're guessing she thinks he's a little person. :)

Edit: Oh forgot to mention she barks the least of any dog I've ever owned. She might give a rare half-bark or two when playing but the only thing I've heard her really bark at is motorcycles when she's out in the yard. She completely ignores the dogs next to us that bark at her/us half the time we're outside. She does sleep-bark quite often as well, but they're pretty muffled tiny barks. I find it amusing she barks more in her sleep than awake.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 2, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

She does sleep-bark quite often as well, but they're pretty muffled tiny barks. I find it amusing she barks more in her sleep than awake.
Our mutt's like that too. I've to hear her bark when awake, but she's the noisiest sleeper, it's quite funny.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

evil_bunnY posted:

Our mutt's like that too. I've to hear her bark when awake, but she's the noisiest sleeper, it's quite funny.

She's probably dreaming about being a bad-rear end and she's just too submissive to bark much when awake. She also like to sleep on her back, sometimes with a paw or two sticking straight up in the air. Need to get a picture of that some night.

Angel is the most submissive dog I've ever seen that isn't a neurotic mess that cowers in the corner and/or pees itself. The only time I've seen her act somewhat nervous/afraid was when we had a kid's birthday party in the house and there were about 14 people she didn't know and she was meeting them all at once, but she got over it quickly. When she meets new children or cats she crawls up to them on her belly. Of course the cats all take off before she ever gets close (so far), but one day maybe that'll work for her. :)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My coonhound would bawl in his sleep at like 5% power without opening his mouth.

"vruh... vri-vruuuuoom... -umVRIooom... rrrg. VVooooOOOOoom."

His lips all poofed out like he was blowing up a balloon. :allears:

aghastly posted:

Oh my god that little beast is painfully adorable. Adopt her then overnight her to me, tia.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 3, 2013

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose
So I just adopted this little monster (Ahi):

Shelter says he's a Husky mix, any ideas what the mix could be?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
That's a husky alright. Got anymore pictures?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Congobongo posted:

So I just adopted this little monster (Ahi):

Shelter says he's a Husky mix, any ideas what the mix could be?

Looks like a purebred Husky.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

Suspect Bucket posted:

That's a husky alright. Got anymore pictures?

Yup! He's a 3-5 year old guy and just flirting with 50lbs. He's pretty small compared to my family's Husky/GSD mix so I thought there is maybe something else in him keeping him small.

hopefully I didn't break tables

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
He could easily be a purebred husky. Not pedigree, but not a recent mix. They're smaller than people realise sometimes.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
50 pounds isn't really that small for a husky. IIRC males are supposed to be 45-65. My husky (also a male) is about 42-45. Doesn't really look like a mix to me.

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide
Here's the strayfreeloader my husband and I found last Sunday and decided to keep. Try to ignore the red rocket antics in most of them. The vet said we shouldn't neuter him until he's done with his antibiotics.

Different people have different theories, but I want to know what you guys think!

Some interesting behaviors:

-He does not bark. In the week I have known him, I have not heard him bark once. He will whine up a storm and he sometimes does this groan thing. However, that may be because it was beaten out of him or something. Who knows?
-He's lazy (and he's only around 2 or 3 years old). I mean, I know he's not feeling 100% but he fell asleep on the floor at the vet's office while the vet tech was right there talking to us (he was amazed and said it supported his theory on what breeds this fella is). He has the occasional energy burst but he snoozes all the freakin' time. I can wave a beggin' strip in front of his face and he will stretch his lips out at it like a horse would, but he won't actually be arsed to stand up and come get it from me. We filled up the kong and he decided that the yummies were too hard to get at so he stopped bothering after like two minutes.

62 lbs right now. Should be more like 75. Note the roan and brindle.

(Day we found him, so it's hard to judge how wide he's supposed to be.)

AvianPundit fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 13, 2014

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I'm going with ACD/Lab/Hound or some conglomeration thereof. God he is adorable and freckly.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
^ What she said. Cattledog/hound, I say.

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide

Captain Foxy posted:

I'm going with ACD/Lab/Hound or some conglomeration thereof. God he is adorable and freckly.

I absolutely must get a video of him running while "fetching". He lopes in the most derpy way ever. He moves both his front legs at the same time and does this jumpy run...

A lot of folks speculate that there's some pit/staffie in there too because of the brindle, wideset eyes, and the wide forehead with the "buttcrack" (though his forehead isn't as high as a pit's).

My husband thinks he's part pointer. I loving hope not because I hate pointers and his energy level is nowhere near what a pointer's would be. Besides, pointers aren't roan like that (pointer spots, when they have them, tend to be solid on white). I think it's because of heeler ancestry, not pointer.

He's giving me a reason to actually get a decent digital camera, instead of just using my phone for everything.

AvianPundit fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 13, 2014

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Reminds me of a brindle-y Major + tail. Also of an American bulldog/Alaskan husky mix on another forum. ACD/american bulldog/houndy thing maybe?

He's super cute :kimchi:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
That's an awesome coat combo. It's like someone threw a bunch of dogs in the washer and this dog came out.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
You sure he needs much weight on? Can't see ribs and his tuck isn't extreme.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Rottie shepherd cattlehound thing for maximum lope derp. I've seen some BYB Rottweilers transition to the gallop at oddly low speeds, going for the weirdest extended lope.

Aproximately at the trot, jowls a-flying.

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide
Wow, now that I'm looking at him, I'm really seeing the lab in his head shape (but Pete has slightly less jowl). If it was a solid color, that would be pretty much lab bone structure. That explains the "pet me nao!!!11!" headbutting he does. And his webbed toes.

I'm wondering where the brindle came from though. Aussie Brindle Hound? Plott Hound?

Engineer Lenk posted:

You sure he needs much weight on? Can't see ribs and his tuck isn't extreme.

Yeah! When we first saw him, we had trouble seeing just how emaciated he was until we reached down to pet his back. No padding on the ribs and his hips are pokey. It's hard to see because his coat is so "busy".

AvianPundit fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 13, 2014

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

AvianPundit posted:

Yeah! When we first saw him, we had trouble seeing just how emaciated he was until we reached down to pet his back. No padding on the ribs and his hips are pokey. It's hard to see because his coat is so "busy".

Ribs are supposed to feel like your knuckles through the back of your open hand - just enough padding to not jut out. Cattledogs (and labs) run to fat very easily, so be careful on refeeding.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

AvianPundit posted:

You're suppose to feels hips especially with his houndy build. He looks like he's at a good weight. The idea of what a healthy dog looks like in America is usually fat fat.

I can feel hips, spine and ribs on Honey here, but she's definitely not emaciated. She has a light covering of fat on her. She's got a poodle build so deep chest and extreme tuck. I get told my dog is underweight all the time :rolleyes:

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 13, 2014

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide

My mom has a standard poodle (and she's always had them). Yours looks to me like she has a healthy lean body.

I'd say the "thin" body on this chart applies to Pete.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Yea we don't mean to be harsh. Some people think lean dogs are emaciated, but you seem to know what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide

cheese eats mouse posted:

Yea we don't mean to be harsh. Some people think lean dogs are emaciated, but you seem to know what's up.

No worries! The PI people mostly try to be helpful! I don't need to fatten him up THAT much but he's still got a very sharp contrast between his rib cage and his waist, and we can't seem to capture it in pictures (probably because it's not quite that bad) but we can see it with the naked eye. He's putting on weight little by little though. The last thing I want is for him to have the dimensions of Rosie O'Donnell, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWUaRXMcBvo

Because lope derp.

AvianPundit fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 13, 2014