Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Azhais posted:

That's pretty much the entire cast and plotline of TVD, so hard to blame the actor for that

Except the rest of the cast and plot of TVD are much better acted and written than anything he's ever done on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Now now, this isn't the terrible show thread.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drifter posted:

Nightwing doesn't need a hood, either, his righteous 70's popped collar blocks out any light trying to shine on his face.

That poo poo was disco. Dick Grayson has always been stylin :cool:

Your man set the rumor mill in high gear.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/11/12/dcs-nightwing-to-appear-on-arrow

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 13, 2013

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If they are going to have Nightwing, I hope they are allowed to say Batman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If he is up for the part he's probably about to get yelled at by somebody since they haven't announced it at all.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spacebump posted:

Batman can only be mentioned using non specific names, such as The B-Man, The Big B, The Sneaky D(ark Knight), Tricky Dick, Matches, The Cowl, The Cape, Fisty McPuncherson, and so on.

Contractually.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Richie Incognito.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Richie Incognito.

God drat it I hate that name so much.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Carlos Danger.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Spacebump posted:

They could reference him without saying his name. They'd probably have to mention Gotham too ("I was a sidekick for a while down in Gotham but now I'm doing my own thing" or whatever), which I don't think they've said so far.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Drifter posted:

Batman can only be mentioned using non specific names, such as The B-Man, The Big B, The Sneaky D(ark Knight), Tricky Dick, Matches, The Cowl, The Cape, Fisty McPuncherson, and so on.

Contractually.

B Diddy. Bitty Cent. Big Wayne.

Batty. Wayzer. The Brucian Rocket.

Hmm. I guess when I make up names it's either rap or hockey.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Aphrodite posted:

Now now, this isn't the terrible show thread.

Indeed, it isn't.
No one's mentioned any terrible shows yet save for Smallville and Birds of Prey. ;)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deakul posted:

Indeed, it isn't.
No one's mentioned any terrible shows yet save for Smallville and Birds of Prey. ;)

I'm pretty sure Agents of SHIELD has come up numerous times.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's completely possible that they are going to separate DC movie and DC TV continuities. I mean, they've already had a show about the most famous DC guy, so it's not like it's unprecedented.

I'm eagerly awaiting the first reference to that guy flying around Metropolis.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Do we know when he will become the Flash on the show? Because Roy Harper is supposed to be an archer with a robo arm, and I see nothing of the sort right now. Compared to the lightning speed the plot is moving forward each season, they are taking their time with Roy. I like it, but it makes me wonder how long it will take for the Flash to don a superhero costume. My only hope is the constant mentioning of the particle accelerator, so I guess it could go really fast (ha!) if the writers want it to.

Episode 20.:flashfact:

God, I love that smiley. I really hope the Flash spinoff happens just so we can get more Flash emotes. :flashfap:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The way this is going CW is going to end up the trainer league for DC movies. Its only a matter of time before Time Warner/DC renegotiates with CW about Batman/Superman It seems pointless to have two completely different DCU's on screens.
Having it all linked with proper working budgets would be a ratings crushathon for CW and bums on seats for all the movies.

Although, the last thing DC did right was during the 90's.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 13, 2013

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Drifter posted:

Contractually.

die fledermaus

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Azhais posted:

die fledermaus

No, copyright issues mean he has to be called Bat Manuel.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

The way this is going CW is going to end up the trainer league for DC movies. Its only a matter of time before Time Warner/DC renegotiates with CW about Batman/Superman It seems pointless to have two completely different DCU's on screens.
Having it all linked with proper working budgets would be a ratings crushathon for CW and bums on seats for all the movies.

Although, the last thing DC did right was during the 90's.

I swear to god, if Season 2 ends with a surprise early Batfleck appearance I will lose my poo poo (in the good way).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BreakAtmo posted:

I swear to god, if Season 2 ends with a surprise early Batfleck appearance I will lose my poo poo (in the good way).

I don't think they'd shoot their bat-load that early before Batman vs. Superman comes out, especially on a television show. I think the best we could hope for is maybe a mention or, at best, a silhouette.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Phylodox posted:

I don't think they'd shoot their bat-load that early before Batman vs. Superman comes out, especially on a television show. I think the best we could hope for is maybe a mention or, at best, a silhouette.

Or a call to Felicity asking her to tell Ollie to meet him somewhere.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have 100% faith Dan DilDio will throw his man shaped spanner in the gears somehow.

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

No, copyright issues mean he has to be called Bat Manuel.

I would support this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

UberAaron posted:

I would support this.

Hey, the actor's worked for Warner/DC before! :v:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure Agents of SHIELD has come up numerous times.

I reserve judgement on AoS until the season is over.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deakul posted:

bland bland bland bland bland bland bland decent - Wow, What a great season!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deakul posted:

AoS? Are you spoiling another anime?!?!

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Drifter posted:

Contractually.

I need a Bob Ducca read list of Batman alt names.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I don't think anything will top "L'uomo Pipistrello" (Batman in Italian).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I think you mean SPIDERMAN

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Drifter posted:

bland bland bland bland bland bland bland decent - Wow, What a great season!!!

Because first seasons of every series ever are always incredible? No show has ever redeemed itself after their first season, truly.
No show has ever had a first season end with a string of great episodes.
Ever.
Never happened!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Deakul posted:

Because first seasons of every series ever are always incredible? No show has ever redeemed itself after their first season, truly.
Ever.
Never happened!
Flash Fact!
Just imagine every person uselessly making GBS threads on AoS to be the comic book guy from the simpsons, it makes following threads about nerdshows a lot more tolerable.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Error 404 posted:

Flash Fact!
Just imagine every person uselessly making GBS threads on AoS to be the comic book guy from the simpsons, it makes following threads about nerdshows a lot more tolerable.

Alright, that could work.
That's certainly the impression I've been getting from the critics here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deakul posted:

Ever.
Never happened!

The first season of Arrow was loving incredible.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 13, 2013

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Edit: Arrow season 1 was entertaining, but it was honestly pretty bad until things ramped up in the back end, and the last 2-3 eps loving owned everything.

Deakul posted:

Alright, that could work.
That's certainly the impression I've been getting from the critics here.

Not to say there isn't plenty of valid criticism, but people seem to be expecting waaaaay too much from the show.

In Arrow news: I'm excited for the next episode, how about y'all?

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 13, 2013

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'd certainly agree that Arrow's first season was by no means a perfect piece of work, but I thought the first half of the season had enough interesting elements to keep me entertained. Best of all, the show had a great sense of when to tweak the formula.

Diggle's banter with Oliver became an early highlight, and his role was drastically expanded. Felicity gave the show some much-needed levity, and quickly became part of the Arrow team.

And while Tommy was insufferable in the first few episodes, they very quickly moved him away from the "rear end in a top hat best friend" trope.

Looking at wikipedia's list of episodes, I'd reckon that the show found its groove relatively early. Malcolm showed up in episode 9, the kinda midseason finale. That's the one that ends with Ollie laid out in a hospital bed. And I remember watching that and going "Whoa, I'm actually curious to see where they go from here."

----

By contrast, even Agents of SHIELD's best episodes are basically passable monster-of-the-week plots. The show has a distressing lack of serialization or ANY ongoing plot whatsoever.

But here's the thing - the networks are full of fun and entertaining procedurals. But Agents of SHIELD has only delivered a few decent 40 minute plots, that only pop when the guest stars turn in great performances.

The core cast of AoS is the largest drawback to enjoying the show. There is absolutely no one I give a fig about in that entire group; even Colson seems to lose any allure when surrounded with such bland characters.

It's not insurmountable, by any stretch. But even the Whedon shows that struggled (Buffy, Dollhouse) had intriguing elements that weren't being put together well.

----

But christ, trying to judge Agents of SHIELD against Arrow's second season is a bloodbath. This string of great Arrow episodes isn't even really happening because of all the new players bouncing around. The Arrow writers have done an outstanding job at shifting all of its surviving season one characters into new (or new-ish) roles.

Oliver's certain he still wants to save the city, but he's not sure how to proceed now that his primary motivation (The List) has been shunted aside. The city's gone straight to hell, objectively worse than last year. And on top of that, he's trying to keep to a new moral code and run his family's company.

Diggle and Felicity are no longer letting Oliver bullshit them with vague comments about his past - they're aiding him instead of just helping him this year.

Thea is no longer stuck in a weirdly sterile Gossip Girl riff, Moira is atoning for her sins and certainly holding the keys to the season's next big arc, Roy is giving us a human face on what's happening in the glades, Detective Lance is no longer acting like a dumb rear end in a top hat... even Laurel's material is much improved.

And then you throw in Brother Blood, Summer Glau, everything with the Black Canary...

No contest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think Arrow is probably the best comic book TV show of all time. I mean, not a high bar, but it's miles ahead of 90's Flash or Mutant X or Smallville or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

I think Arrow is probably the best comic book TV show of all time. I mean, not a high bar, but it's miles ahead of 90's Flash or Mutant X or Smallville or whatever.

Mutant X lowerd the bar so far that Hermes Conrad couldn't limbo under it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Arrows middle episodes last season were pretty bad. Huntress and Family bonding episodes cringe worthyArrow started and ended strong but the middle was bleh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'd certainly agree that Arrow's first season was by no means a perfect piece of work, but I thought the first half of the season had enough interesting elements to keep me entertained. Best of all, the show had a great sense of when to tweak the formula.

Diggle's banter with Oliver became an early highlight, and his role was drastically expanded. Felicity gave the show some much-needed levity, and quickly became part of the Arrow team.

And while Tommy was insufferable in the first few episodes, they very quickly moved him away from the "rear end in a top hat best friend" trope.

Looking at wikipedia's list of episodes, I'd reckon that the show found its groove relatively early. Malcolm showed up in episode 9, the kinda midseason finale. That's the one that ends with Ollie laid out in a hospital bed. And I remember watching that and going "Whoa, I'm actually curious to see where they go from here."

----

By contrast, even Agents of SHIELD's best episodes are basically passable monster-of-the-week plots. The show has a distressing lack of serialization or ANY ongoing plot whatsoever.

But here's the thing - the networks are full of fun and entertaining procedurals. But Agents of SHIELD has only delivered a few decent 40 minute plots, that only pop when the guest stars turn in great performances.

The core cast of AoS is the largest drawback to enjoying the show. There is absolutely no one I give a fig about in that entire group; even Colson seems to lose any allure when surrounded with such bland characters.

It's not insurmountable, by any stretch. But even the Whedon shows that struggled (Buffy, Dollhouse) had intriguing elements that weren't being put together well.

----

But christ, trying to judge Agents of SHIELD against Arrow's second season is a bloodbath. This string of great Arrow episodes isn't even really happening because of all the new players bouncing around. The Arrow writers have done an outstanding job at shifting all of its surviving season one characters into new (or new-ish) roles.

Oliver's certain he still wants to save the city, but he's not sure how to proceed now that his primary motivation (The List) has been shunted aside. The city's gone straight to hell, objectively worse than last year. And on top of that, he's trying to keep to a new moral code and run his family's company.

Diggle and Felicity are no longer letting Oliver bullshit them with vague comments about his past - they're aiding him instead of just helping him this year.

Thea is no longer stuck in a weirdly sterile Gossip Girl riff, Moira is atoning for her sins and certainly holding the keys to the season's next big arc, Roy is giving us a human face on what's happening in the glades, Detective Lance is no longer acting like a dumb rear end in a top hat... even Laurel's material is much improved.

And then you throw in Brother Blood, Summer Glau, everything with the Black Canary...

No contest.

Fantastic post.

• Locked thread