Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
The first, and best, Pirates of the Caribbean movie is up and you, yes you, need to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Anyone else on Comcast having trouble with netflix? None of my equipment has changed, but starting around when they added the new season of walking dead, I almost never get to HD anymore and most stuff doesn't make it past the sub-SD level most of the time. I've pretty much stopped watching it and I'm thinking about cancelling because it's honestly not watchable. I get 50+mb/sec on various servers from speedtest, so there's no good reason I should be getting stuff that looks like a 240p vid on youtube.

I had similar problems with my Roku, I'd stream HD perfectly on my PC. I thought it was my router so I upgraded that, then activated the diagnostic mode on the Roku and it still said I was getting only 2 mb network connections hard wired when speedtest shows I pull over 55 mb/s. I switched to wireless and now it connects most of the time in HD, but at this point I'm beginning to think my roku box is defective now. If I plug it back in hard wired it drops back to 2mb and below. And if I force higher bitrate it pauses and buffers every few seconds. Very frustrating. I'll let you know if I ever find a real solution.

As for streaming movies, I watched Olympus has Fallen last night and I thought it was a lot of fun. I really liked that they got the kid out safely early in the movie, that was an anti-cliché that kept me guessing the whole time. I kept waiting for him to get captured, and was really relieved when he wasn't. Not because of the character, but because it would have been so drat predictable. So good for them. It had a couple "yeah, right" moments and it definitely cribbed Die Hard in a lot of places, especially when he meets the former colleague who has turned traitor, but nothing that really yanked me straight out of the movie, and the initial assault scenes were loving brutal. And Gerard Butler got to kick some rear end.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 12, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Binary Badger posted:

IMHO, the best and original, The Flying Guillotine from 1974 kills this version. Be advised it's very campy and it's a VHS rip, but it has the perfect '70s flavor (what would you expect from a Shaw Brothers production?)

Imperial intrigue? Check. An unstoppable weapon? Check! A guy who gets framed by the Emperor's henchman, trying to protect his family using the weapon? Check! The only thing that can stop a Flying Guillotine.. another Flying Guillotine?! Check!!

It's up on Amazon Prime, free for prime members.

Also very good is Masters of the Flying Guillotine. (link to Youtube preview)

Actually I'm a big fan of both those originals, and I think that's partially why I was so disappointed in The Guillotines.. Honestly the movie was almost a bait and switch. After the first 30 minutes you don't even see the awesome weapon any more and it turns into some socio-political message about oppression and equality... or something... I don't know it really lost my attention

edit: on the other hand, Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai was an amazing piece of art that I will probably never want to watch again. Holy hell, is it even possible to drill in the absolute misery any more? It was absurd. Jesus christ.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 13, 2013

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Hara-Kiri is something everyone who likes film should watch at least once because holy poo poo, it's beautiful.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thwomp posted:

I just wanted to thank this thread for mentioning Monsters is on Netflix. Been meaning to check it out for a while.

Even more impressive that they did it on an almost literal shoestring budget with gear bought off shelf.

They also hired lots of locals as amateur actors for the on location shooting or just showed up to shoot the scenes.

Pretty impressive movie considering it was made on a 500k budget.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I probably already poo poo on it back when it was new enough to warrant it's own thread, but Monsters is a hot mess. Everyone's anecdote is about how impressive the production was due to its nonexistent budget, but take it on its own merits and you're left with something very much like every other lovely independent horror movie on Netflix; lovely actors, bad plotting, and some hackneyed loving message at the end about whoa, who are the real monsters, guys?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Wolfsheim posted:

I probably already poo poo on it back when it was new enough to warrant it's own thread, but Monsters is a hot mess. Everyone's anecdote is about how impressive the production was due to its nonexistent budget, but take it on its own merits and you're left with something very much like every other lovely independent horror movie on Netflix; lovely actors, bad plotting, and some hackneyed loving message at the end about whoa, who are the real monsters, guys?

God I hate that movie. It's so boring. It had the potential to do almost anything, and what they did was give two pretty people a greyhound ride.

I've watched the movie maybe three times, and I could not tell you one detail about the monsters. I just kept hoping I was missing something, but I really don't think there's anything to miss.

And Hara Kiri is amazing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Wolfsheim posted:

I think it's a love it or hate it movie. I thought it did an amazing job of world building, it felt very real and very much the opposite of a typical low-budget, shot-on-3-sets type of film.
If the main draw for a viewer were the eponymous monsters, I could see how it could disappoint. But as basically a travelogue through a post-apocalyptic no-man's-land, it was fantastic and way better than it had any right to be.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Wolfsheim posted:

A friend and I decided to try to watch it a few years back, and eventually turned it off because we were bored. Its alternate title is "Why Did They Get Off The Train?"

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Monsters owns. Such a beautiful ending too.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

I think it's a love it or hate it movie. I thought it did an amazing job of world building, it felt very real and very much the opposite of a typical low-budget, shot-on-3-sets type of film.
If the main draw for a viewer were the eponymous monsters, I could see how it could disappoint. But as basically a travelogue through a post-apocalyptic no-man's-land, it was fantastic and way better than it had any right to be.

I agree. The film was technically correct and for 800k or whatever that's pretty impressive. I think the film suffers from people going in expecting one thing and getting another. I actually enjoyed the acting, writing and cinematography. It got slow in parts and if I really went in to analyze it then I'm sure there would be holes like (ferries, land routes and no planes to america?). The best part of this movie is at the beginning the humvees that get hijacked by aliens are the same ones at the end. So our main characters die (you can see the girl unconscious or dead)and the entire thing is a flash back to that moment ;). I had a little jump when I heard the gunner on the humvee at the end singing the same tune as the beginning. So congrats to them for that.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Jst0rm posted:

I agree. The film was technically correct and for 800k or whatever that's pretty impressive. I think the film suffers from people going in expecting one thing and getting another. I actually enjoyed the acting, writing and cinematography. It got slow in parts and if I really went in to analyze it then I'm sure there would be holes like (ferries, land routes and no planes to america?). The best part of this movie is at the beginning the humvees that get hijacked by aliens are the same ones at the end. So our main characters die (you can see the girl unconscious or dead)and the entire thing is a flash back to that moment ;). I had a little jump when I heard the gunner on the humvee at the end singing the same tune as the beginning. So congrats to them for that.

I missed that. Good catch.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Sorry if this is a repost but you guys should check out the German film Lore. I randomly clicked it Friday and I ended up watching it twice this weekend because it was so good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I watched And Everything is Going Fine without being familiar with Spalding Gray. Great movie. Are his other monologue films as good?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Egbert Souse posted:

I watched And Everything is Going Fine without being familiar with Spalding Gray. Great movie. Are his other monologue films as good?

Yeah, Swimming To Cambodia.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Because they were recommended in this thread back in October, I thought I would follow up with two movies I watched earlier this week.

Grave Encounters. Four Stars. This is how you do a "found footage" movie. A very plausible setup (basically the unedited film of a Ghost Hunters-esque show) that doesn't make use of the cameras stilted or forced. A solid group of actors playing characters that I could empathize with. Great tension build up (the fact that the place became a labyrinth was my favorite development), and some solid payoffs were to be had. An overall enjoyable and creepy experience.

Hollow. One Star. This is how you don't do a "found footage" movie. A very boring setup (two couples go out on vacation so... of course you're going to videotape everything?) that made the use of the camera feel contrived. The actors themselves were fine, but the characters were incredibly stupid, inconsistent, irrational, and flat. There was no tension, no build up, and nothing interesting happened between the characters or in the "story." In fact, the entire thing was boring, very little happened, and any interesting quality the the "antagonist" (for lack of a better word) could have injected into the film was lost because it was underdeveloped. Or, if it was simply "developed," then talk about a boring antagonist.

As an aside: if the audience is only watching what was recorded, then there should be no extended periods of darkness between when the recording is turned off and then back on. But in this movie, to show passage of time/build tension, exactly this happened. While it didn't exactly make me think any less of the movie (because it was god awful boring anyways), it does underscore a failing in being able to competently handle the format chosen by the folks creating the film.

Also, I saw Kobayashi's Harakiri, the 1962 movie that is not on instant streaming but is available via Netflix disc, several years ago and it was phenomenal. Apparently Harakiri: Death of a Samurai, is a remake. I haven't seen the remake, but I strongly support folks seeing the original if they haven't.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Green Crayons posted:

Grave Encounters. Four Stars. This is how you do a "found footage" movie. A very plausible setup (basically the unedited film of a Ghost Hunters-esque show) that doesn't make use of the cameras stilted or forced. A solid group of actors playing characters that I could empathize with. Great tension build up (the fact that the place became a labyrinth was my favorite development), and some solid payoffs were to be had. An overall enjoyable and creepy experience.

It's also REALLY amusing if you've ever seen Ghost Adventures.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

ghetto wormhole posted:

It's also REALLY amusing if you've ever seen Ghost Adventures.

YESSSSS. I thought it was just ok until I saw Ghost Adventures. I went back and watched Grave Encounters sometime later and was just blown away at how accurate the parody was.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Grave Encounters II is even better.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Danger posted:

Grave Encounters II is even better.

Agreed. The elevator scene was really cool.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Wait... like, actually better? I managed to convince my wife to watch Grave Encounters with me, and she loved it. We saw the sequel on Netflix with that horrible cover and immediately assumed it was bad. While I'm a fan of "so bad it's good," she is not. Is it really worth giving a shot?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Green Crayons posted:

Wait... like, actually better? I managed to convince my wife to watch Grave Encounters with me, and she loved it. We saw the sequel on Netflix with that horrible cover and immediately assumed it was bad. While I'm a fan of "so bad it's good," she is not. Is it really worth giving a shot?

It's pretty cool and goes in lots of neat, unexpected directions. Lots of carnival ride style monster ghosts and it continues the original's story in a legitimate way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love Grave Encounters 2. "Rainman was a fuckin' genius."

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Well, poo poo. I'll give it a shot, then.

And since I'm apparently on a "found footage" kick, I just watched V/H/S/2. 4 stars. I found it on par with the first, and the ideas were pretty interesting! The only lack luster idea was the camera eye. The alien abduction was fine, nothing spectacular, but the fact that it was fairly brief (especially relative to the really great cult segment) meant that it didn't wear thin.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Green Crayons posted:

And since I'm apparently on a "found footage" kick, I just watched V/H/S/2. 4 stars. I found it on par with the first, and the ideas were pretty interesting!

I confess that I've had VHS 2 sitting unfinished in my queue for the past couple weeks. I got to the final segment and turned it off to go get some dinner, and when I came back I had already forgotten the prior three segments. And that's not hyperbole, I mean that I had literally forgotten what they were--I had to furrow my brow and place a finger on my chin and stare intently at the ceiling to remember them. And when I did, I said "Meh" and watched something else instead. It was a real weak end to a month of terrible choices in horror.

Worth finishing the final segment?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
If the first three segments had no staying power, the fourth certainly won't change that. In light of your reaction to the majority of it, I'd just kick it out of your queue and call it a night.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Well, I just watched Catechism Cataclysm and it was... really good? I think? I mean, I really enjoyed it from start to finish. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but if you liked Rubber and Wrong, you'll probably enjoy it.

Synopsis: A childlike priest cajoles his high school hero- a roadie who hosed his sister- to take a canoe trip which starts innocently enough, until they get lost and run afoul of the Japanese.

It's odd. Like, tremendously so. I'm still processing, so I'm not sure if it was intending to impart a message or if it was just having fun with absurdism, but either way I don't feel sorry I watched it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Green Crayons posted:

Grave Encounters. Four Stars. This is how you do a "found footage" movie. A very plausible setup (basically the unedited film of a Ghost Hunters-esque show) that doesn't make use of the cameras stilted or forced.

Me and a buddy watched this on a whim and loved it. My favorite gag was with the time lapse.

"We should do a time lapse shot here. To set up the mood."

*Cut to time lapse of the moon*

Really cool movie. I want to see the sequel, but goons seem to hate it and say avoid at all cost.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

regulargonzalez posted:

Should it really get credit when all they did was shoot it in South America? It's not like they built sets or anything; it just looks like a post-apocalyptic no-man's-land already. And outside of "wow jungles and Mayan ruins sure are loving beautiful" I don't really remember any world-building other than "aliens are here but maybe they're not the bad guys?" and that's like every other loving alien invasion film made in the last ten years.

Jst0rm posted:

I disagree. I wasn't looking for District 9 or anything, I was expecting a slow burn character piece that used clever tricks to hide the fact that there was no budget...but seriously, name anything interesting about either of the main characters. Hell, name anything about them other than 'two white people that fall in love.' All that comes to mind is that the male character was a photographer who forgot he had a camera 99% of the time despite constantly seeing the most amazing, career-defining things happening because apparently the actor was retarded.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 14, 2013

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

Really cool movie. I want to see the sequel, but goons seem to hate it and say avoid at all cost.

No it's actually great and several people here like it a lot (yo Hundu). It's a good movie and it's even funnier than GE, which is a fairly funny movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

No it's actually great and several people here like it a lot (yo Hundu). It's a good movie and it's even funnier than GE, which is a fairly funny movie.

Well then I'll check it out! The original is awesome and hits all the ghost hunter show tropes very well. I was hoping of more of the same. Thanks!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

Well then I'll check it out! The original is awesome and hits all the ghost hunter show tropes very well. I was hoping of more of the same. Thanks!

It's not more of the same in that it isn't a parody of ghost hunting shows, it's more like a parody of their fans, and a black comedy about the relationship between artists and the art that they create.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Watched Skyfall last night.

I have to agree with the people who felt like it wanted to both honor 50 years of Bond and take on the idea of Bond being an out of date tool. What most struck me was how strange it felt that everything seemed to have gone backwards. Moneypenny is now behind a desk. A male M. Bond super chill about missions. I wonder if they meant for it to feel as depressing as it does or if it was all just fan-service for the original Bond setup

It's easily my favorite Craig film, maybe my favorite Bond in general. The film is absolutely gorgeous and Bardem is amazing as the lead villain. My only concern is I have to wonder where they go from here. More than any other film, this felt like the final Bond movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mysterious frankie posted:

Well, I just watched Catechism Cataclysm and it was... really good? I think? I mean, I really enjoyed it from start to finish. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but if you liked Rubber and Wrong, you'll probably enjoy it.

Synopsis: A childlike priest cajoles his high school hero- a roadie who hosed his sister- to take a canoe trip which starts innocently enough, until they get lost and run afoul of the Japanese.

It's odd. Like, tremendously so. I'm still processing, so I'm not sure if it was intending to impart a message or if it was just having fun with absurdism, but either way I don't feel sorry I watched it.

Catechism Cataclysm just reinforces what a find Steve Little is.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

Watched Skyfall last night.

I have to agree with the people who felt like it wanted to both honor 50 years of Bond and take on the idea of Bond being an out of date tool. What most struck me was how strange it felt that everything seemed to have gone backwards. Moneypenny is now behind a desk. A male M. Bond super chill about missions. I wonder if they meant for it to feel as depressing as it does or if it was all just fan-service for the original Bond setup

It's easily my favorite Craig film, maybe my favorite Bond in general. The film is absolutely gorgeous and Bardem is amazing as the lead villain. My only concern is I have to wonder where they go from here. More than any other film, this felt like the final Bond movie.
That's nice and everything, but how did you feel about the rape scene? :can:

It's my favorite Craig film too. I didn't realize it was up on Netflix. Looks like I've found my weekend movie!

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
My favorite thing in GE2 is that they manage to flee the asylum, spend the night in a hotel, then the next morning the elevator opens up and they are back in the asylum. Its a great gag.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

Producers:

David Gordon Green
Jody Hill
Danny McBride

I've never heard of this movie but this crew generally creates stuff I like. I'll have to check it out.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

foodfight posted:

Producers:

David Gordon Green
Jody Hill
Danny McBride

I've never heard of this movie but this crew generally creates stuff I like. I'll have to check it out.

It's a really good movie. After thinking about it, I'm convinced the film was taking the comfortable & well-used conventions of wacky buddy road comedies and shoving them into a very accurate parody of those old testament stories where God terrifies, tortures and murders just to impart a little wisdom to someone and, more importantly, prove to them that he's G-D and you do NOT gently caress with him. I think that's about the extent of the meaning. They were having fun loving with an overused genre and seeing if they could import that unsettling sense of derealization from the creepier bible stories to the screen, and I think they did pretty well in both counts.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 14, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Frances Ha was just added. It's the best movie I've seen in theaters in 2013. It's amazing in almost every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
To all the people in this thread who recommended A Band Called Death - thank you. Seriously one of the most interesting documentaries I've ever seen.

• Locked thread