Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Blitz7x posted:

So this is a dumb question for having played this game for so long, but what exactly am I looking for in a wife? Should I be angling for a Princess from a large kingdom/empire? Should I be looking at stats or traits instead? Basically should I marry a Duchess or someone with low traits versus some 16yo foreign culture pretty peasant woman with the genius trait?

Spouses can do several things for you. In roughly descending order of importance:

They'll help administrate the realm. (For Muslims, this is only true of your primary wife, although secondary wives with high Intrigue or the Ambitious or Envious traits may scheme to become primary.) Half of your spouse's stats are added to your own for some purposes. In particular, half of your spouse's diplomacy is added to your State Diplomacy (which is the base modifier of how much people like you), to your Stewardship for the purposes of taxes and demense size, and to your Intrigue for the vast majority of Intrigue effects. A wife (including secondary wives) can also be a Spymaster, at the cost of the bonus she's giving to your own Intrigue (if she's primary), or a court chaplain if you're one of the religions that allows female priests (mostly just pagans). Keep an eye on your wife's Diplomacy and Stewardship, since this is the only way to improve your State Diplomacy or base demense size without improving your ruler's stats directly.

They'll parent heirs for you. If you need an heir right now or lots of kids for whatever reason, try to marry someone with fertility-boosting traits like Lustful, Hedonist, and Strong, while avoiding their opposites, Chaste, Weak, and especially Celibate and Castrated. (There is also a base Fertility stat, but it's hidden.) Also, try not to marry someone who's likely to die soon, and do not marry a woman who is nearing the 45-year-old cutoff for bearing children. Men do not have an age cutoff, but older men are more likely to die and more likely to develop old age traits that decrease fertility. Reverse this advice if you don't want children for whatever reason; Muslim rulers have to deal with decadence from unoccupied sons, and unreformed pagans (or deeply unpopular Christian rulers) may have Gavelkind concerns.

They can have inheritable claims. (This is almost never a concern for Muslims. It is very useful when considering concubines, especially since captives taken in war or raiding can be pressed into concubinage.) A parent will pass their strong claims (except forged claims) and inheritable weak claims to their legitimate children (and three closest relatives in the line of succession, if they have less than three legitimate children) when the parent dies. You can turn a weak, uninheritable claim or a forged claim (which will show up as strong but not inheritable) into an inheritable claim simply by pressing it in war and ending the war in white peace. You can also look ahead, and marry someone who will inherit a claim, either because their still-living parent has a claim, or because they're second- or third-in-line to a title. (Rarely, you can just marry someone who is due to inherit a title, although the "Too high in the line of succession" objection will almost always prevent you from doing this easily.) Remember, however, that claims dilute with each generation: strong claims dilute to weak inheritable, weak inheritable claims dilute to weak uninheritable. Remember also that women cannot press claims except on other women, and will not inherit claims to Agnatic titles.

They can have useful inheritable traits. Stats absolutely do not matter in this case (except for Health and Fertility, which are heritable but hidden and thus harder to aim for). Any stat that's in a green (good) or blue (bad) heart is inheritable. Genius, Quick, and Strong are all great, and Attractive is very good for would-be queen rulers and moderately useful for men. This isn't as important as many people make it out to be, since the chance to inherit most traits is only 15-20%. (The main exception is Dwarfism, which is very inheritable, but it's only really bad for female rulers.) There is also Sayyid for Muslims: a Sayyid mother's child will always be a Mirza, and get an opinion boost with all Muslims.

You can form alliances through marriage. (Secondary marriages for Muslims do form alliances, but concubinage does not.) If you marry a ruler or their close relative (no further removed than niece/nephew or grandchild/grandparent), then you're allied to them as long as the marriage lasts. If the marriage is broken through divorce or death of one person involved, then the alliance ends. Also, if the title passes to someone who is no longer closely related to the married couple, the alliance ends. Alliances are personal, not national. Be careful who you're forming alliances with: allying with a vassal of someone who isn't your liege lord is basically useless.

They can educate your children. There are other, easier ways to get educators into your court, but this may be the only way available to some new, small rulers. A good educator has a good education trait, and no traits that negatively affect childrearing, like Cruel, Wrathful, or Slothful. Culture is also important. If you send your heir to be educated by a foreigner, it will annoy the poo poo out of your vassals. Educators also have a roughly 50% chance to convert children to their own culture, if they educate the child from 6 to 18. (Less time is less chance to convert.) Shy and Slothful decrease that chance (although Slothful is terrible for childrearing for other reasons), while Gregarious and Diligent increase that chance. Gregarious, Diligent educators are great if you do want to change your child's culture for whatever reason, though. Religion works similarly to culture, with the chance to convert children increased by Zealous and decreased by Cynical, but you can almost always just ask your wife to convert.

Spouses can also plot against you if they hate you or against your children from other parents. They can also end up as the regent for your underage heir, even if they are not that child's birth parent, which sucks a whole lot. Be careful to not get murdered by your concubines, and bear in mind that Muslim wives will plot against each others' children and attempt to usurp each other.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

PleasingFungus posted:

You can only have vassals who are lower rank than you. If you're a duke, and you give away a duchy, that duchy will no longer be in your control. (You could have given away the earldom safely, though, yeah.)

Worth noting that independent dukes are referred to as (Petty) Kings in some parts of the world, which can make things a little more confusing.

When in doubt, look at the ring around the portrait: silver and blue is a Duke, gold is a King.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
So looking at the Dev diary I see a mention of Wiz working on the combat AI but no details, anyone have a clue on what could be changed/fixed/improved etc? His attention to this area gives me hope however

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I don't think I'll ever have a king as good as Hartmann the Dragon ever again.

The game started off in 1081 with a ruler designer-made count of Luebeck, Erastus Rotemann. Aside from his fantastic red beard, the main thing that made Erastus memorable was that by replacing the historical, Wendish ruler of Liubice he somehow got a claim on the Tribe of Obotrites. He successfully pressed his claim, and became the new (German!) chief of the Obotrites. This marked the beginning of a century-long pattern of incorporating Slavic and Baltic natives into the Rotemann dynasty's expanding realm, making expansion go much faster than would otherwise be the case through fabricating claims and waging holy wars. For the most part it worked. By the mid-12th century, my dynasty had created and controlled the kingdoms of Wendland (Pomerania in the mod I was using) and Livonia. Things were going moderately well.

Then, in early 1171, Queen Magdalena of Wendland and Livonia died, leaving the union of kingdoms to her pampered son Melchior. Melchior was disliked immensely by the native Baltic nobility, and a huge rebellion began, intending to place a native Pomeranian on the Wendlander throne. King Melchior had little time to react before an arrow struck his skull one day...

...and then, as Melchior's newly-enthroned son Hartmann, I received a message informing me that our plot had succeeded, and everyone was buying the "lone bowman" story about Melchior's death. King Hartmann was 12 years old.

The new king's first order of business, of course, was to put down the Balts' rebellion. Hiring mecenaries and calling upon an alliance with the Rurikids, Hartmann put down the revolt in short order. Every imprisoned native duke was stripped of his ducal titles, and administration of the duchies put into the hands of Germans who would never view the king as a cultural foreigner.

For a while, things calmed down, and King Hartmann had time to further improve the kingdom. Rights of taxation were shifted from the dukes to the king, and revenues soared; a few holy wars were waged against the pagan Lithuanian tribes which laid between Wendland and Livonia; wars of conquest were waged to the east, eventually leading to Hartmann crowning himself King of Polotsk; settlers began arriving, turning Pskov into German Pleskow and Porkhov into Porchow.

In 1194, however, the German dukes of Wendland carried out a plot to force Hartmann to cede the Pomeranian crown-- in this case, the crown was surrendered to Prince Gebhard, the brother of late King Melchior. Hartmann begrugingly gave up the crown to the plotters, as he was tied up in a war against all the Rurikid realms at the time, leaving him with the crowns of Livonia and Polotsk. At least some of the sting was taken out of the loss by the knowledge that Wendland was still in the hands of his dynasty.

Peace between Wendland and Livonia did not last. In 1213, a new duke-run coup was carried out in Wendland, and the Wendlander King Melchior II (Gehbard's son) was deposed in favor of Drosuk z Pomorski, a man not of the Rotemann dynasty, and (to rub salt in the wound) not even a German! King Hartmann finally acted against Wendland, and in 1215 forced King Drosuk to admit defeat and return the crown-- to himself, not Melchior II. That guy was killed, to prevent plotters from using him again and splitting the realm, and Drosuk's family was also executed to prevent them from raising the banner of rebellion. It was at this point that Hartmann became known as 'The Dragon'.

The remainder of Hartmann the Dragon's reign was bloody, but free of civil wars. Any duke caught plotting against the realm was imprisoned, stripped of titles and executed. Commoners were given titles when old noblemen were taken care of, and they in turn were imprisoned, stripped of titles and executed if it ever seemed like they were in on a plot, at which point a new commoner was given the county or duchy and the whole cycle started again.

King Hartmann died peacefully in his sleep in 1227, at the age of 68, after having ruled for 56 years. Unsurprisingly in hindsight, everything went to poo poo after his death. Hartmann's son, King Theodorich, was personally slain by a Danish prince just four years after Hartmann's death. Theodorich's daughter, Maria, was deeply unpopular with the dukes and forced to reverse many of the Dragon's efforts to centralize the state. The periphery of the state has been slowly nibbled away during these latest disturbances, leading to the loss of Brandenburg, Lebus and Traken.

Requiescat in pace, Hartmann. I miss you already.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 13, 2013

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Would anyone be interested in a Monday/Tuesday MP game to try out Sons of Abraham?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
2.0 Patch Notes

Parts I found more or less cool:

quote:

- Ironman mode
- Steam Achievements
- Steam Workshop support
- Having a marriage alliance now increases opinion by 30 (quite useful vs liege or vassals)
- You no longer get any liege levies from vassals with a negative opinion of you
- There is now a +50 opinion bonus when a liege is the primary defender in a war against foreigners
- Increased the opinion bonus to +75 when a liege is the primary defender in a holy war (and improved the check)
- Armies on ships are capped at 50% morale
- Murderers are now revealed in Observe mode (no "suspicious accidents")
- Non-theocracy lieges are now only allowed to create single county or barony temple vassals (bishoprics)
- Non-theocracy lieges can no longer create neighboring county tier bishops
- You are now only allowed to have a certain percentage of counties under theocracy vassals (MAX_THEOCRACY_COUNTIES_IN_REALM)
- You are now only allowed to have a certain percentage of counties under republic vassals (MAX_REPUBLIC_COUNTIES_IN_REALM)
- Added some more detail to many heresies (Cathars can have female priests, etc)
- Added heads of religion for five heresies: d_fraticelli, d_iconoclast, d_yazidi, d_ibadi and d_hurufi
- Added major decisions to create the Fraticelli and Iconoclast religious heads
- Characters of a religion where priests are not allowed to marry will now divorce their wives if ordained
- When ransoming a courtier that has money, that character's money will now be used towards paying the ransom, and if they have enough money for the whole ransom their liege will not have to pay anything at all
- Opinion boost for releasing a prisoner is now +5 opinion per tier of their primary title (so +5 for a Baron, +10 for a Count etc).
- Charinfo console command is now a proper toggle and does not require additional input
- Holy orders and Mercenaries are now split into several sub units which can be put on different flanks or different units.
- Now generates courtiers to mercenaries and holy orders so they can be put as leader for the sub-units.
- Family tree now shows dynasty relation
- If there has only been a single ruler by a certain first name, the regnal number is no longer shown
- Anglo-Saxon England now has feudal elective law
- Powerful kings and emperors will now sometimes set up antipopes
- Cynical rulers may now sometimes switch back to Free Investiture law
- AI: Now takes culture, religion and province wealth into consideration when choosing capitals
- AI: Much higher prio on holding to to the counties in its primary duchy
- AI: More prio on keeping its demesne concentrated in a few duchies
- AI: Higher prio on helping friendly armies in battle
- AI: Fixed a bug where two AI armies from the same country would change their orders back and forth due to reacting to what the other army was doing
- AI: Will now keep imprisoned characters that they don't want to execute/banish/revoke locked up for a while instead of instantly releasing them. The minimum lockup time depends on the importance of the character.
- Added "evil_god_names" to religions, to be used in event texts
- Added 'jewish_opinion' to traits
- Added 'dynasty = culture' possibility to the 'create_character' effect

The Battle AI changes in general sounds pretty amazing, guess we should thank Wiz for that!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kainser posted:

- Armies on ships are capped at 50% morale

Does this mean navy-bombing your opponents isn't going to be anywhere near as effective? I never used it because it seemed too gamey, but I'm interested to see the new strategies people will come up with for holding off the Mongols now that the primary strategy is gone.

e: just noticed this in the full patch notes:

quote:

- The black bastard blood drop is now shown correctly with the new bastard dynasty system

What "new bastard dynasty system" is being referred to here?

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 13, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

I enjoyed that little story.

Also, doesn't Paradox usually do a sale around the time they release new big DLC? I still need to grab some face/music packs and the customizer.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

e: just noticed this in the full patch notes:

What "new bastard dynasty system" is being referred to here?
The one they introduced in the last major patch.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Basically, since 1.11 non-legitimized bastards get new dynasties created for them if they marry (in such a way that they would pass on their names), and this note is just patching the blood drop display so it'll be the proper bastard drop.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Soviet_Russia posted:

Would anyone be interested in a Monday/Tuesday MP game to try out Sons of Abraham?

I'm game, send me a message on steam over the weekend to try to arrange.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh god finally

quote:

- Added Quick-Split icon menu to quickly split army based on mercenaries, holy orders and retinues.
- Added 'Split in Half' button for units
- Player will no longer get a notification of being besieged if the besieging army is too small to take the settlement.

Patch is looking real good, I wonder if you can start into Iron Man mode from a normal save? I'm guessing based on EU4 you'll need to run Iron Man to get most achievements. Wonder if they'll port over some of the new multiplayer features from EU4 eventually as well.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh god finally

Patch is looking real good, I wonder if you can start into Iron Man mode from a normal save? I'm guessing based on EU4 you'll need to run Iron Man to get most achievements. Wonder if they'll port over some of the new multiplayer features from EU4 eventually as well.
Ironman is almost certainly going to require you to play 100% vanilla. I think most experienced players won't bother with it unless there are some really really fun/challenging achievements to pull off.

e: brain fart, sorry. Achievements will require vanilla but there's no reason why ironman mode should as well.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Rumda posted:

I'm game, send me a message on steam over the weekend to try to arrange.

I'm down for Monday.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Soviet_Russia posted:

hail satan

wait no the other guy that's what the expansion's about

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Soviet_Russia posted:

I, too, am game for this. Steam ID same as username here.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Another quick question. If I get an Invasion CB on someone who's got a bunch of people rebelling against him, can I occupy the rebel's holdings too? And should I try to occupy all holdings or just the capital to get it under my control?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

NihilCredo posted:

e: brain fart, sorry. Achievements will require vanilla but there's no reason why ironman mode should as well.

There's no real reason why ironman should require vanilla, but doesn't EU4's ironman still require it? That's the main reason why I expect that CK2's ironman will (which sucks because even though vanilla's importing a lot of CK2+'s major changes I think I'll still prefer to mod my install after 2.0, but I really want a way to partially restrain my urge to savescum assassinations and the like).

edit: I'm surprised no one's commented on the nerf 2.0 applies to the All Archbishops All The Time strategy. Am I reading this wrong or will it be entirely impossible to create duchy-level bishops as a feudal lord? If you're trying to make some particular bishop of yours stand out for the Pope to pin a snazzy red hat on in SoA, I've gotta wonder how we'll be able to influence that as players.

edit2: vvvvvv ha, right at the same time. I never used that strategy as a player, but surely putting in the limit to the percentage of archbishop vassals would have been enough to curb the unrealistic stability that strategy offered, without completely closing off the creation of higher-ranked theocracies as the patch appears to do.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 13, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

quote:

Non-theocracy lieges are now only allowed to create single county or barony temple vassals (bishoprics)

Wait, am I reading this wrong, or does this mean that archbishoprics and king-level theocracies have been completely patched out? Because if non-theocracy lieges can't create duke or king level theocracies, then nobody can, since theocracy lieges can't exist at those levels if nobody else can create them.

The only way that I can see higher level theocracy titles coming into existence now is by a large bishopric gobbling up neighbor counties and creating/usurping the duchy, or through a pressed claim on a landed bishop claimant. Which happens rarely enough as it is, so now theocracies are going to be even rarer.

I get that making everything bishoprics was a bit of an exploit, but why not just reduce its efficacy instead of arbitrarily reducing variety in gameplay?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Up for Monday, I think. Tuesday's probably out of the question.

EDIT
Half-tempted to play a Romuva just to gently caress with people.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

I get that making everything bishoprics was a bit of an exploit, but why not just reduce its efficacy instead of arbitrarily reducing variety in gameplay?

You're doing that thing again. Players can't play as theocracies anyway, and NPC theocracies are minimally different than standard realms. All this means is that non-theocracies can't grant multi-county theocracy titles; they otherwise are formed and behave as normal. It's not as though NPC nations often, if ever, intentionally created theocracies in any case. Removing lovely features is not 'reducing variety'.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 13, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

You're doing that thing again. Players can't play as theocracies anyway, and NPC theocracies are minimally different than standard realms. All this means is that non-theocracies can't grant theocracy titles; they otherwise are formed and behave as normal. It's not as though NPC nations often, if ever, intentionally created theocracies in any case.

Yeah, I am doing that thing again, because Paradox is doing that loving thing again. Let's walk through the thought process here:

Why should players not be able to create theocracies when they could before? If it's because creating theocracies makes it too easy on the player, that's a legit justification. But removing that option wasn't the only choice. They could have made it less advantageous for players to have a majority of their vassals be theocracies, and such a situation seems like a failure of design. Instead of correcting the problem (theocracy vassals are too good), they simply ripped out the functionality to exploit it, leaving a poor design in and reducing the player's choices.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
e; never mind.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Yeah, that's the thing. (edit: eh, you removed your post before I could quote it but damnit I'm still going to comment.)

If they'd just put in the limit on how many theocracy vassals you could have that would likely have been enough.

Theocracy vassals are great for a lot of reasons (no inheritance to deal with, usually high opinions if you manage to teach your heirs well or are using Free Investiture, etc, etc) that are deeply embedded in the game systems and would have been a bitch to change, so I can see why they took the route of "don't let players do this" rather than "change why players want to do this".

Still, there are non-exploit reasons (mostly flavour/RP reasons, but maybe you want a quick piety boost or you want to hand off some land gains to the Church out of spite) to create archbishops, and I think Paradox may have overcorrected here. The lovely system is not "creating archbishops at all", it is "creating an entire empire's worth of archbishops".

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 13, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

If they'd just put in the limit on how many theocracy vassals you could have that would likely have been enough.

Here's the puzzling thing - they did put that in:

quote:

- You are now only allowed to have a certain percentage of counties under theocracy vassals (MAX_THEOCRACY_COUNTIES_IN_REALM)
- You are now only allowed to have a certain percentage of counties under republic vassals (MAX_REPUBLIC_COUNTIES_IN_REALM)

Unless I'm missing something, banning duke-level bishops seems completely redundant when their realms can't make up more than X% of your realm anyway.

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

Soviet_Russia posted:

I would also like to do this, Monday preferably. My steamid is the same as my username.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Unless I'm missing something, banning duke-level bishops seems completely redundant when their realms can't make up more than X% of your realm anyway.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They only needed to do that to solve the actual problem, which is why I can't understand why they did both.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Another simple fix would have been to only allow multi-province title grants to bishops if you're under Papal Investiture. That would have taken some of the benefit out, since you couldn't guarantee good relations with theocracies any more.

It would also provide a new legit reason to choose Papal Investiture, and giving players interesting choices is Good Design.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Soviet_Russia posted:

I, too, am down with a Monday or Tuesday night game. As with others, my steam ID's the same as my username.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

It might be better if they just threw in a Religious faction like CK2 and made all theocratic vassals join it. So if you want the benefits of all those theocracies you have to deal with them all getting together and plotting against you. Make the church too powerful and there's no reason that they shouldn't, say, decide that maybe they'd rather be under a Prince-Bishop instead of a King.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Yeah, I'm a little bothered by that too. I don't generally do the "all religious vassals" thing, but I do like to occasionally set up a prince-bishop here or there, where it feels appropriate. Now I can't. :(

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Unless merchant republics can have a 100% republic percentage this change is the first thing I'm modding. Sons of Abraham seems cool and all but the patch is changing some things that didn't need changed.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I was about to complain about you guys complaining, and say how theocracy vassals are gamey as poo poo and I'm glad they are nerfed, but then I remembered that I do have the Coptic Pope as the Duke of Alexandria in my current Ethiopia game. I'm such a hypocrite.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

NihilCredo posted:

It wasn't really clear but what I was asking was if I could take a save game pre-2.0 and load it up as an Ironman game. Or if you can only choose Ironman when you start a brand new game.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Jazerus posted:

Unless merchant republics can have a 100% republic percentage this change is the first thing I'm modding. Sons of Abraham seems cool and all but the patch is changing some things that didn't need changed.

Presumably that limit only applies to non-theocracy/republics. I'm not even sure a Republic limit is necessary: Republics actually have relations penalties for form of government, you have less control over who runs them (and their major advantage, taxes, is impacted by relations), they marry and inherit more normally than theocracies, and they can hire endless hordes of mercenaries, so if you think you can manage a ton of unruly vassal republics that grow like weeds and have more money than you, well, good loving luck. I usually create one at least for novelty's sake, but they tend to eat the entirety of whatever coastline is convenient and grow to utterly terrifying size so I've reconsidered that plan for future games.

I wonder if a member of a patrician family can even be named heir/elected to two different merchant republics at the same time.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 13, 2013

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

marktheando posted:

I was about to complain about you guys complaining, and say how theocracy vassals are gamey as poo poo and I'm glad they are nerfed, but then I remembered that I do have the Coptic Pope as the Duke of Alexandria in my current Ethiopia game. I'm such a hypocrite.

They are gamey so they should fix that, not ban them completely.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They only needed to do that to solve the actual problem, which is why I can't understand why they did both.

Probably to prevent you from making/getting regular vassal dukes/kings and then turning them into religious rulers through barony revokations.

Also to prevent you from centralizing power in a vassalized religious head, but the max percentage is probably larger than what you'd like under a single person anyways.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Perhaps the ban on theocracies is because of the new cardinal features of Sons of Abraham? Anyway, theocratic duchies were quite rare in real life, and the AI never makes them. If you want a duke bishop, grant him the title per console. Besides, it was gamey as poo poo.

And you can still grant the land to the pope.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Worst case scenario, adding an appropriate decision to vassal_decisions should get around the limitation as long as you are only forbidden from granting duke-level theocracies and not from having them (i.e. if you don't automatically lose them).

code:
vassal_decisions = {

vassal_make_prince_bishop_decision = {
	from_potential = {
		(is king or emperor)
	}
	potential = {
		(is count-level bishop)
		(FROM holds his de jure duchy title)
	}
	allow = {
		(FROM is under the limit for % of theocratic provinces)
			; might not be codeable, but no big deal
	effect = {
		(gains the duchy title)
		(improved relations with FROM)
		(FROM gains a bunch of piety)
	}

} 

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I hope the conversion doesn't break my Norse game. I think I have several theocratic vassals.

Man, I can't help it if my most loyal men were all religious. That's the only reason why I gave them the duchies.

• Locked thread