Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
TDS Talk: The residential dream job technique isn't really working as well as it should in theory. The game seems to rotate out a select set of stores to assign dream jobbers. I'll get like 6-7 move ins and they all want to work at Galactic Music or Duct Repair. Then the next 7-8 will all want to work at Scoop of Hoth etc. Am I just crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Can't remember who was complaining about this in TDS, but there is a Max Rebo in there. In the background of the karaoke place named after him. :3:

Also I'm turning out to be a big space-racist. I find myself wanting mainly aliens. I have Ewoks and Rodians and Gungans mainly, but also some Arconas and Toydarians and Mon Calamaris and Grans (I love that there's a species called the Gran, always liked those weird three eyed dudes but I never knew what they were called).

No Jawas yet. Can they actually move in? Had a couple of visits from them but they always seem to want to go to Imperial levels. Oh, and can you get those pigmen, Gammoreans or whatever?

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Sweet! As someone that generally doesn't like tilt mechanisms to control stuff, the original had it nailed and was a really solid game. Can't decide if I want to it to stay so drat hard or not.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Has anyone had trouble completing quests in Tiny Death Star? I built the blast door level but it still wants me to build an imperial level.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

On this tip, I've had Ravenmark for a while (since last 50% off sale) and haven't delved into it much but have a vacation trip coming up. First, is it playable on iPhone (5S) or should I only bother with iPad (Air)?

I remember playing it on a touch (either the fourth or fifth gen, can't remember) without any noticeable problems so the iphone should be ok.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SaucyLoggins posted:

TDS Talk: The residential dream job technique isn't really working as well as it should in theory. The game seems to rotate out a select set of stores to assign dream jobbers. I'll get like 6-7 move ins and they all want to work at Galactic Music or Duct Repair. Then the next 7-8 will all want to work at Scoop of Hoth etc. Am I just crazy?

Sounds a lot like a psuedorandom seed generator working as intended, actually, despite that sounding thoroughly crazy.

PRNGs are kind of :psyduck:-inducing when you realize how they work compared to how your brain expects them to work.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

So I warmed a lot more to Sorcery! and decided to give 2 a shot.
I'm finding it great already (what really sold me was my first undead encounter and the subsequent explanation) but someone please tell me that dice game is optional after the tutorial.
I get and even almost like the combat system but I really don't want to sit down to play 'guess the dice' every other street.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

SaucyLoggins posted:

It probably just seems that way. I've gotten my fair share of Galactic Music and Duct Repair too, but I've also gotten dream jobs for my current stores a lot faster than I otherwise would've I think.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

McDragon posted:

No Jawas yet. Can they actually move in? Had a couple of visits from them but they always seem to want to go to Imperial levels. Oh, and can you get those pigmen, Gammoreans or whatever?

Supposedly if they arrive with a ? they are special characters you can't actually get to move in. If you know which floor they want to go to you can floor swap an empty residence to that level and collect them there, but the title characters (Leia, IG-88, etc) will have a ? so you won't be able to. I think jawa's have a ?. The same person said that ? characters have a cutscene if you drop them off at the appropriate level, but I'm not sure about this.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
So I guess Solomon Dark is now releasing on PC and iOS is only being considered a 'possibility'. That sucks balls. I remember there was some buzz about it supposedly releasing really soon about a month ago too. And unless they really kick it up a notch, I don't think perfect couch game will make the jump to great PC game very well.

Solomon's Keep and Battleheart are easily two of my all-time favorites. It's really not cool that their sequels are practically vaporware at this point and no other games fill the void.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

gently caress. Oh well, as long as the fucker comes out eventually.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Today, Boba Fett visited the Pet Emporium, the Death Star's premium pet retailer.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Dammit I lost my TWEWY save when I switched to a new phone and didn't restore from backup. Is there any way to copy it from one device to another?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

robodex posted:

You plebians don't understand. Chris Avellone wrote the very pinnacle of computer RPGs, Planescape: Torment. Sure, it barely made any money and came out almost 14 years ago when a lot of people in this forums were still young children, but saying you don't know who the Artiste Chris Avellone is is like saying you are not familiar with the works of Claude Monet. How dare you not know who the very god of classic computer RPG storylines is. For shame.

I never thought I'd live to see the day we'd have to explain how awesome Chris Avellone is, to the SA forums of all places. :smith:

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sad lions posted:

So I warmed a lot more to Sorcery! and decided to give 2 a shot.
I'm finding it great already (what really sold me was my first undead encounter and the subsequent explanation) but someone please tell me that dice game is optional after the tutorial.
I get and even almost like the combat system but I really don't want to sit down to play 'guess the dice' every other street.

It's optional, you can play it for cash if you want and the dialogue that goes on during the game provides at least a bit of color or lore, but you're never forced to.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Don Tacorleone posted:

I never thought I'd live to see the day we'd have to explain how awesome Chris Avellone is, to the SA forums of all places. :smith:

Yeah... That kinda throws me a little...

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Lechtansi posted:

Dammit I lost my TWEWY save when I switched to a new phone and didn't restore from backup. Is there any way to copy it from one device to another?

Try something like iFunbox (PC/Mac) to dig around in the apps data and see if there's a save file there.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
wooo, Football Heroes (the one that looks like a cross between Tecmo/Mutant League/NFL Blitz) finally came out, only a year or so late. Will check it out and report back.

edit: can't find a link to it, just had to search in iTunes.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 13, 2013

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Ah man, Ravenmark is back to full price already? I didn't have a chance to get to Wifi until just now. Seemed like a short sale, you'd think it would have lasted longer than a day.

Ah well, there's no lack of games for me to finish playing, so I guess I'll wait until the next sale to buy it.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Abugadu posted:

wooo, Football Heroes (the one that looks like a cross between Tecmo/Mutant League/NFL Blitz) finally came out, only a year or so late. Will check it out and report back.

Playing Defense is a bit of a pig because the AI can be a bit wonky for bringing down ball carriers but Offense is a blast. But then Defense is always a pain in football games.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Abugadu posted:

I just gave this a shot. The controls are wonky, but maybe it's something that can be adjusted to. But during my first game against the AI, I got to halftime and a "press OK to download this other game!' message popped up. I press cancel, it sends me to the App Store anyway, and when I restart the game... it lost all of my progress and makes me start over. Football Heroes set a new personal record for shortest time between downloading and deleting an app.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

radge posted:

That Zelda esque game Oceanhorn is coming out in 36 hours and looks pretty nice.

Touch Arcade put out a 45 minute game play video yesterday.
Time to delete some older content and make room for this tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2gelTBwn8Y

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I just gave this a shot. The controls are wonky, but maybe it's something that can be adjusted to. But during my first game against the AI, I got to halftime and a "press OK to download this other game!' message popped up. I press cancel, it sends me to the App Store anyway, and when I restart the game... it lost all of my progress and makes me start over. Football Heroes set a new personal record for shortest time between downloading and deleting an app.

There is a 7 second timer below the add, and then it goes away on its own, so it's not particularly intrusive. I don't mind it, having adds during half time seems natural.

There are IAP purchases, but at first sight (I have the feeling there's more than what I can see now, because I'm seeing bronze and silver stuff, but not gold) the only necessary purchase is a x2 (permanent) coin booster, for about 2 and a half euros.

I agree that the controls aren't the best, though. Tackling is pretty hard, and selecting another player is iffy at best, sometimes costing you a touchdown.

Edit:wait, the coin doubler lasts only until January

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 13, 2013

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Think it was mentioned on the Touch Arcade forums that Oceanhorn was only 300 MB or so because cutscenes are rendered by the in-game engine, movement is smooth because of some tiling tricks, etc.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Playing TDS kind of got me in the mood for a management sim game. I loved those kairosoft games like Game Dev Story and Mega Mall Story. Didn't quite care for the racing one or the one where you collect pets on an island though.

Any recommendations along those lines?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

Think it was mentioned on the Touch Arcade forums that Oceanhorn was only 300 MB or so because cutscenes are rendered by the in-game engine, movement is smooth because of some tiling tricks, etc.

Any word on a price yet?

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Sad lions posted:

Any word on a price yet?

From Touch Arcade forums YMMV:
The Game is out in New Zealand. It should be out in US at about 11 PM EST and Europe at around 12 AM UK time. Size of the app is 170MB.

Price in NZ is 12.99$ which should translate to USD $8.99

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Thanks for the update info on the file size, that's sweet! Only 170 MB and $9 sounds good to me, wotta steal!

Only other way to get Zelda-like action is to buy a 3DS/2DS and then another $40 just for the game.

Also don't forget that the 'John Williams' of video games, Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu, and the amazing Kenji Ito, Mana and Saga series composer, wrote the music for Oceanhorn.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
The key to Oceanhorn, as with any other game reliant on a touchscreen, is going to be the controls.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Would I be really really angry trying to play that on an iPhone 4?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

jerkstore77 posted:

The key to Oceanhorn, as with any other game reliant on a touchscreen, is going to be the controls.

Speaking of which, where the gently caress are the mifi controllers already?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of which, where the gently caress are the mifi controllers already?

Came in just to ask the same thing because I love me some Meltdown but floating dpads give me finger cramps.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fat Samurai posted:

There is a 7 second timer below the add, and then it goes away on its own, so it's not particularly intrusive. I don't mind it, having adds during half time seems natural.

There are IAP purchases, but at first sight (I have the feeling there's more than what I can see now, because I'm seeing bronze and silver stuff, but not gold) the only necessary purchase is a x2 (permanent) coin booster, for about 2 and a half euros.

I agree that the controls aren't the best, though. Tackling is pretty hard, and selecting another player is iffy at best, sometimes costing you a touchdown.

Edit:wait, the coin doubler lasts only until January

Yeah, on a 5 the controls really are inconvenient. Better camera control would also be great, I'd like to see the majority of the field at the start of receiving instead of following the ball with the camera.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I know everyone's gonna go bananas for Oceanhorn tonight, but I'll alert you to some recent rhythm game news if that's your thing:

Cytus just went free and has been updating itself with tons of new songs, so if you haven't grabbed that yet, do so now. It's one of the best mobile-only (although there's a version for Vita now) music games. Really high quality stuff.

Bigger news being that Cytus went free because the same company just released Deemo for $1.99, another top-notch rhythm game that's more piano-centric. The interface is a bit more typical Bemani style where the notes fall down from the top of the screen, but there's no set columns for the notes, you just hit them where they land on the bottom. It's like a cross between Smule's Magic Piano and Cytus. All original music and there are 2 IAP packs (which admittedly cost much more than the game itself currently) for an additional 11 songs.

Highly recommended.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 14, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The game's icon made me groan because I thought it was going to be another goddamn Slenderman game.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Heh the 2nd act after the Zelda parody in Doom & Destiny is LotR. I don't know if I should feel immature about enjoying the parody, but the game underneath is actually really well done.

Oceanhorn also looks amazing. I don't think I've ever bought a "premium" iOS game like XCOM (have on PC) or any of the Final Fantasy games, but I might have to for this.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

ahmeni posted:

Try something like iFunbox (PC/Mac) to dig around in the apps data and see if there's a save file there.

I've successfully backed up and restored a TWEWY save before. I couldn't tell you exactly what files I needed, but it wasn't hard, or obfuscated if I remember correctly.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

The combat in Oceanhorn looks like you just hit a button and swing your sword in front of you. The faster you press, the more swings you make.

And that's it.

Graphics and character/level design look great. Combat looks awful.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Funso Banjo posted:

The combat in Oceanhorn looks like you just hit a button and swing your sword in front of you. The faster you press, the more swings you make.

And that's it.

Graphics and character/level design look great. Combat looks awful.

So have you played a Zelda game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Don Tacorleone posted:

Dungeon Siege 3 is newer in most minds than Planescape: Torment.

• Locked thread