Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
(early case 3) And her text beeps changed mid-dialogue to accentuate the reveal.

Oh, Ace Attorney, I love you sometimes.

Einander fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
The comparison to Emmy is a pretty good one tbh, Emmy (as well as inspector grosky) was introduced to bring some more dynamic, physical characters to the Layton series and Athena fills that role pretty well. She was kind of wasted in last specter though, since the series was still using static portraits (and she didn't really do anything in Eternal Diva either but that's a separate matter)

There's a lot to be said about the writing in the Layton series, but maybe that should be moved to its own thread since the 6th game just got released in Europe and Australia and all

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

theshim posted:

CARNAGE ONRED

Who?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Beat it, loved it, want more of it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Quercus Alba in Japanese

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

That's the original Japanese name for Quercus Alba. It's supposed to mean "Carnation Red," the symbol of Alba's country, but to English speakers it's so obviously evil that the localization team changed it.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Waffleman_ posted:

Quercus Alba in Japanese

:psyduck: I'm eagerly awaiting cross-examining Satan Hitlersson in AA6, then

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Hopefully it'll be as good as the case with (AAI3 spoilers) Agnes E. Vile. I wasn't expecting him to be the killer at all.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
My only two tiny bits of criticism for the game: I wish the investigation bits were a little less streamlined, and I wish the cutscenes had less terrible voice acting. Aside from that, best Ace Attorney game since Trials and Tribulations (:allears:) and a very strong contender for best Ace Attorney game ever: loved the music, the new characters and the character development for the old ones (Phoenix :allears:, Edgeworth :allears:, Apollo :allears: ), and Athena feels like a very strong addition to the cast.

Also, spoilers for case 5: the Phantom sent the incriminating evidence in space holy poo poo :stare:

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

The dlc will be out on the 21st.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.532397136875013.1073741843.410567109058017&type=1

Prices are:€4.99 / $5.99 / £3.99.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Random thought I just had about the first case (with some mild spoilers for later in the game):

In retrospect, it's a little odd that Athena has that breakdown in the beginning of the first case when, chronologically speaking, she's already won a more difficult trial against a more competent prosecutor and should at least have the confidence not to get walked all over by a chump like Payne. Of course, it makes sense for her character arc in the order the cases are presented to us, and I don't even think there's anything wrong with a storytelling decision that prioritizes the emotional arc the viewer experiences over the logistics of the story's actual chronology, but it reminds me a bit of the similar weirdness Trials & Tribulations had with its timeskips (i.e. how Mia gets her lawyering tutorial during her second case). I have to wonder if they couldn't find a better way to approach these things without that conflict between the emotional storytelling logic and the in-universe logic the next time they want to hop around in the timeline, though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, your options are pretty limited. Wedging in a tutorial without making it feel like a tutorial is always a challenge. I loved the way they did it in Ace Attorney 2. (The perpetrator brains Phoenix in the intro and gives him temporary amnesia so he needs things re-explained to him)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the idea is that Athena has a lot of unresolved issues which manifest in her being terrified of loving up (again) in the courtroom, so even despite having a success under her belt she is still vulnerable to Payne's specific attack. At least until the end when she gets over it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think Investigations had the smoothest tutorial, which is just Gumshoe asking Edgeworth what he's doing, or Edgeworth thinking "I should do X".

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

ImpAtom posted:

I think the idea is that Athena has a lot of unresolved issues which manifest in her being terrified of loving up (again) in the courtroom, so even despite having a success under her belt she is still vulnerable to Payne's specific attack. At least until the end when she gets over it.

She also didn't have Apollo sitting right next to her stopping her from freaking out. He spends a large part of case 3 doing his whole "I'm fine" thing for her every time something goes wrong.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Veev posted:

She also didn't have Apollo sitting right next to her stopping her from freaking out. He spends a large part of case 3 doing his whole "I'm fine" thing for her every time something goes wrong.

And in addition she does have a freakout in case 3, but everyone, including the prosecutor and the people she tried to indict as murderers a bit earlier support her. She's all alone against a slimy prosecutor and Ted Tonate in case 1.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

quote:

Ace Attorney @aceattorneygame
2 hours ago

"Turnabout Reclaimed" is the brand new episode coming to #AADD, available to purchase on 21st Nov for €4.99 / $5.99 / £3.99.

That's much sooner than I was expecting.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 13, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The decision to hold off on spending the £5 left over on my eShop account from the AA purchase is paying dividends. I want to go ahead and skip this upcoming week now.

Guydoingthis
May 24, 2010
Finished the game yesterday. I enjoyed it overall, but I was correct to be concerned about them handing over solutions in inner monologue just like AAI.

The best moments in these games are the twists you don't see coming! The ones you figure out yourself! I was genuinely surprised by the (:siren:possible ending hint:siren:) main antagonist reveal, but so many of the puzzles in this game are explicitly spelled out. Even the one in spoilers above; it dawned on me, I loved it, and then the characters spent a good thirty seconds of inner monologue spelling it out for me. It comes across as patronizing, and really hurts the quality of the experience.

Lurdiak posted:

spoilers

:siren:More endgame spoilers!:siren:

There are some bits of subtle foreshadowing they never actually used. In particular, you never make him take his gloves off. But you can see the scar Athena left every time he gets angry, so why don't we ever point it out!? C'mon Apollo, perceive that poo poo!

Also (still end game spoilers!),

unrelated, but earlier in the case, why does Phoenix proving that the Phantom could have taken the escape route mean Athena and Blackquill are not guilty? Didn't he only prove the possibility?? Did they forget to write the rest of that murder mystery, or did they just get bored of it after that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guydoingthis posted:

unrelated, but earlier in the case, why does Phoenix proving that the Phantom could have taken the escape route mean Athena and Blackquill are not guilty? Didn't he only prove the possibility?? Did they forget to write the rest of that murder mystery, or did they just get bored of it after that?

The Blackquill thing was proven earlier. Blackquill was always super-innocent. The question was if Athena murdered her mother but the footage of the Phantom with his stabbed hand proves that there was someone else there. The moonrock reveal eventually gives them DNA evidence to prove who it was.

For the modern case: The leaves prove that someone did use that escape route, but since Athena was still in the space center, it wasn't her. She isn't completely out of the woods (not yet not guilty) but that is the point when it switches over from 'prove she didn't do it" to "prove who did" because the only way the leaves could have gotten in was if someone opened the door mid-switch. Yes, Athena could have faked it, but the rest of the facts don't add up with that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 13, 2013

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Guydoingthis posted:

In particular, you never make him take his gloves off. But you can see the scar Athena left every time he gets angry, so why don't we ever point it out!? C'mon Apollo, perceive that poo poo!

"But can you prove when I got this scar?" :smug:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Replaying T&T and I just beat case 4. I'm noticing a bunch of stuff I hadn't noticed before

When Godot is prosecuting his first case, he is literally emulating Edgeworth. "Oh, I always put special evidence in my pocket. It's the safest place I know." :3:

Phoenix' objection theme in Dual Destinies is actually a remix of Objection 2004. I was sure it was based on his first theme for some reason.

When Godot takes up Maggey's retrial, he didn't just ditch a couple other cases. It's actually "a bunch of more important cases."

Dahlia recognizes Mia the first time they meet, and she's not happy about it. I'm betting that Mia actually being good at spirit channeling let to a bunch of cousin issues that Mia was never aware of.

Dahlia isn't actually particularly annoying in case 1; it just stands out to me because the only enjoyable (non-Judge/Mia) character in that case is Payne. She is a bitch to cross-examine in 3-4, but that case has Diego schooling Edgeworth, so you hardly notice.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
One of the things I really liked about this game was that, with a couple of exceptions, (Spoilers span much of the series) most of the cases manage to plausibly keep your defendant in the "running", as it were, until the end. One of the things that always bothered me about this series was that, usually around the halfway point of every trial, no one even remembers who the defendant even loving is, because you've already proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that it wasn't them but OH HO HO they could still be found guilty because you haven't proven that some one ELSE did it! What's that? Iris was stranded on the other side of a burning bridge from Elise's body? gently caress you, unless you can prove where Godot hid his dagger wound, she'll still be found guilty! We've already established that Maggey Byrde was unconscious at the time of Glen Elg's murder and the entire scene witnessed by Victor was stages? gently caress you, unless you can trick Tigre into revealing he knows what the poison bottle looks like, she'll still be found guilty! Having that element mostly gone from this game was a welcome change.

Also, I don't care if he's anime as hell, Simon Blackquill owns owns owns.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

A lot of people are making a big deal of (Case 5 spoilers and first game spoilers) the fact that they should have had the phantom take his glove off to reveal his scar, but the issue here is that there would still be no conclusive way to tie a knife scar on the hand to that case. It's not like in the first game where they could conclusively prove the bullet in Von Karma's shoulder came from the particular gun via rifling marks if they so desired.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 14, 2013

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Plom Bar posted:

We've already established that Maggey Byrde was unconscious at the time of Glen Elg's murder and the entire scene witnessed by Victor was stages? gently caress you, unless you can trick Tigre into revealing he knows what the poison bottle looks like, she'll still be found guilty!

In fairness, as Godot makes clear, that's just an idea of Phoenix's that isn't ever conclusively proven.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Plom Bar posted:

One of the things I really liked about this game was that, with a couple of exceptions, (Spoilers span much of the series)

I feel like this was especially a problem in AJ, where (series spoilers including 5-5) the crimes were outlandish enough that the police didn't really have any reasonable suspects; they just arrested a random person on scene (Wocky, maybe Vera, Machi). Whereas in the previous games, more often than not, it initially looked like no one but the defendant could've been the culprit. DD did have a few cases with implausible defendants (Juniper in 5-1 and arguably 5-3, maaaaybe Athena in current day 5-5). It's still a step up from AJ, and I suppose you could attribute the police's flimsier motives compared to the ones in the original trilogy to the Dark Age of the Law. :v:

VVV So, in other words Dark Age of the Law. :byodood:

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 14, 2013

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, in 4-3, apparently, what Takami forgot to stress was that Dylan is manipulating the fact the case is linked to smuggling, and as such, pretty high profile, to try and get anyone convicted quickly.

Guydoingthis
May 24, 2010

(More end game AA:DD stuff)

I suppose this makes sense. It adds up, but it feels weak in retrospect, especially with the way everyone else seems to brush the leaves aside as evidence.

Earlier in the case they talk about how the security was super high seven years ago, but they make it sound like budget cuts have loosened things up considerably. Someone even says something to the effect of "Back when they were launching the HAT-1 you couldn't even bring in some dead leaves with you!"

As a result, for me, it followed that the leaves would not be conclusive.

... Also that in the limited shots of the outside I could see, I didn't notice any trees. That might have just been something I missed, though. :v:

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

A lot of people are making a big deal of (Case 5 spoilers and first game spoilers)

This also makes sense. Perhaps it's better left as an actual subtle thing you only pick up on if you're paying attention, but it still felt glaringly obvious for long enough that I wanted a way to point it out or have the game at least acknowledge it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Plom Bar posted:

What's that? Iris was stranded on the other side of a burning bridge from Elise's body? gently caress you, unless you can prove where Godot hid his dagger wound, she'll still be found guilty!

Actually, IIRC, if you get to that specific point, you get a non-standard game over instead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kajeesus posted:

Actually, IIRC, if you get to that specific point, you get a non-standard game over instead.

Similarly, Case 2-4 has a custom ending if you can't keep the trial going long enough, where Matt Engarde goes free and Adrian Andrews takes the fall.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

A lot of people are making a big deal of (Case 5 spoilers and first game spoilers) the fact that they should have had the phantom take his glove off to reveal his scar, but the issue here is that there would still be no conclusive way to tie a knife scar on the hand to that case. It's not like in the first game where they could conclusively prove the bullet in Von Karma's shoulder came from the particular gun via rifling marks if they so desired.

Relating to the bit mentioning the first game, as much as I love the meltdowns across the series, my favourite will forever be Manfred von Karma bashing his head against the wall in utter frustration. Though Aristotle Means' is definitely the best in DD :allears:.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm honestly split between (case 3&4 spoilers) Means' and Yuri's breakdowns. On the one hand, yeah, the chalkboard is all sorts of hilarious, but I just love when they go into full-out cartoon physics.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
(Case 5-4) Yuri wins by sheer virtue of the judge's reaction: "Bailiff! On your steed and after that witness!" Mostly because it reminds me of the greatest line in T&T

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
There was no mention of a breach or a steed in "Are!" "You!" "High! She's flying so high", so you can't be right. :colbert:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I really enjoy the fact that the bailiff got more lines and mentions than in any AA game before. I hope he's gonna have his own animation in the sixth game :3: What I don't lik,e though, is how the guys standing in front of the courtroom doors are missing during the anime cutscenes

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

TINA TURNER posted:

I really enjoy the fact that the bailiff got more lines and mentions than in any AA game before. I hope he's gonna have his own animation in the sixth game :3: What I don't lik,e though, is how the guys standing in front of the courtroom doors are missing during the anime cutscenes

You mean in the defense lobby? The fourth cases of Apollo Justice and Investigations show that they're not directly connected, but instead the courtroom connects to a public-access lobby, with hallways to the defense and prosecution lobbies. Presumably there's guards on the non-public lobbies to protect defendants, witnesses, and lawyers' confidentiality.

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011
Did anyone else think the effects sounds were much louder compared to the music than they were in previous games? I had a hard time playing with headphones, since once I turned the volume up high enough to hear the music, all the other noises were painful.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Every time I beat a case, I jump back to this thread and read all the spoilers up to the point I'm at. Thank you everyone for so clearly marking spoilers. This is the first AA game I've managed to go into completely blind and I loved it.

I was on a plane today, so the fact that I had Case 5 set and ready to go worked well with that. Except that I didn't anticipate that even at a full charge the 3DS XL apparently doesn't last much longer than five hours with full 3D (also, I love the 3D effects, it's some of the best on the system). So I played as much as I could, but...(SPOILING UP TO CASE 5 TRIAL 1 PART 2) I realized who the phantom was just before Phoenix did, and I was all :stonk: and :psyduck: and so was Phoenix, and then the profile presentation came up, and I presented the profile, and the monologue with the slow camera pans happened, and then Phoenix named the phantom, and the courtroom gasps, and the battery dies at that exact moment oh my god

I'm waiting for it to charge back up although I'll be really busy tomorrow, I mean, yeah it's great that my uncle's getting married but holy poo poo I want to see how this resolves.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Just beat this game, it was tons of fun. As irritating the samurai-motif can get, Blackquill is a great character. Him straight up going out for a walk because the trial gets too dumb was absolutely hilarious. Also, one of my favorite parts was easily Athena elaborating the Phoenix-statue. "You're not into that sort of stuff, are you?"
Can't wait for the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Just finished the game and absolutely loved it, quick question: what the hell are the Dual Destinies?

• Locked thread