Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

aBagorn posted:

Thanks for ruining the inevitable casting that won't live up to this.

C'mon, Patrick Dempsey is probably still lobbying for the role. Dreams do come true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Method acting so good he'll actually use real sorcery on set and freak everyone out.

Or if you want the cheaper guy that still does real sorcery, hire Nic Cage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

soapgish posted:

C'mon, Patrick Dempsey is probably still lobbying for the role. Dreams do come true.

Also a good choice.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
If they skew younger, I'd like to see Adam Brody as the Sorcerer Supreme... If not, then Aidan Gillen is the clear choice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If they skew younger, I'd like to see Adam Brody as the Sorcerer Supreme... If not, then Aidan Gillen is the clear choice.

Adam Brody is my go-to guy for when the inevitably recast Tony Stark.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Urdnot Fire posted:

Frequent Whedon collaborator (including director/co-writer of Cabin in the Woods) Drew Goddard is writing the Daredevil series on Netflix.

Melissa Rosenberg, who wrote all the Twilight movies, is doing Jessica Jones.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Exciting news for two reasons - one, she's much better than Drew Goddard, who might be the most bland writer ever - and two, we get to see all the comic book fans wet their panties in fear.

"T-t-t-twilight?"

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

She was also head writer for the not-terrible seasons of Dexter.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Urdnot Fire posted:

She was also head writer for the not-terrible seasons of Dexter.

That's rather unfortunate, I mean, when the media covers this announcement, she's either a writer for a very hated franchise (specially among the audience for the Marvel shows) or a show that went off the rails and ended in the dumbest way possible.

She couldn't fix Twilight's horrible plot and she wasn't there when Dexter became a joke, but most people won't make the connection. I just hope she does a good job, since chances are Jessica Jones is the only major female Marvel character to get her own thing (film or tv show), at least for a while.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
So I saw Kick-rear end 2. That was a mistake. It's been a while since a sequel took such a huge poo poo on the franchise. Everything that made the original movie fun, this one murders. It's like it's written and directed by someone who really loathes superheroes but was forced to come up with a script because his family was held hostage. The message seems to be "Ha ha, superheroes wouldn't work in the real world, you're really stupid if you came in expecting the protagonists to succeed or do anything interesting in any way, or for this movie to be watchable". Most of the movie is inane teenage/family soap opera bullshit, except they then remembered to put some gross violence and rape jokes in, just to make sure nobody would enjoy it. The writing and directing are done by different people this time and are just terrible. Having had enough sense to pass on Movie 42, this one's the worst movie I've seen in years, and it's a shame too because I quite enjoyed the first one.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The whole movie: Revolutionary Bane is a cool dude who stands for real truth and justice. Human Bane is a loser who goes out like a punk.

It's important not to get caught up in his 'deep' inner motivations, and to look at what he accomplishes.

Revolutionary Bane is merely an act of theatricality and deception to achieve a rich woman's goal of destroying a rich man. I'm honestly surprised that you of all people buy into the act.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If not, then Aidan Gillen is the clear choice.

Aidan Gillen is garbage, please keep him and his terrible accents away from everything forever.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The act is more true than the subject beneath, Bane is vividly committed to revolutionary action as an act of devotion. His role is unavoidably compared to Batman's, being just an 'act' made more real than the singular capitalist beneath. It's a repitition of Bruce's inability to reconcile the symbolic reality of his father with the man who failed to act, a defining contradiction at the center of the whole liberal democracy that the movies levy critique against.

Danger fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 14, 2013

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It's Japanese./How do you know?/Because I bought it in Japan. - Batman (1989) Later, Bale would do an incredible job of pretending to be the ditsy Bruce Wayne counterpart to his Batman, but Keaton (whom everyone thought would be terrible in the role) nailed both Wayne and Batman. That movie is a product of the times, and maybe hasn't held up too well, but it has some great scenes, and this is one of them. "You wanna get nuts?" should get an honorary mention.

And whichever X-movie had the flashback where Logan comes out of the tank with his adamantium claws, as much as I hate to admit it (because the X-movies are all terrible) is loving awesome, because it's straight out of Wolverine #50

Robert Wuhl's line "this guy must've been King. Of the Wicker People" always made me laugh hysterically as a kid. I don't know why, I guess young me loved that Wuhl-delivery.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Whizbang posted:

Aidan Gillen is garbage, please keep him and his terrible accents away from everything forever.

I hate to be the guy that's all "did you see the Wire?" But... Did you see the Wire?

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Robert Wuhl's line "this guy must've been King. Of the Wicker People" always made me laugh hysterically as a kid. I don't know why, I guess young me loved that Wuhl-delivery.

Same. When he pulls the bat from his trunk, even as a kid, I knew poo poo was getting real. I have so many fond memories tied to that movie...

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 14, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He sounded weird on The Wire too

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Wait really? Is this a thing? I've never thought he had a weird accent. On GoT I don't know what kind of accent he's doing... But I still think he's an excellent actor.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

At least on The Wire he made a good job...his character and accent in GoT are all over the place, so I understand the hate.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Wait really? Is this a thing? I've never thought he had a weird accent. On GoT I don't know what kind of accent he's doing... But I still think he's an excellent actor.

I'm not sure how to explain it. I feel like he struggles with every single sentence on The Wire. It's like every line he uttered was a huge effort. I noticed it on Batman as well, though he doesn't bother me much on GoT.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Danger posted:

The act is more true than the subject beneath, Bane is vividly committed to revolutionary action as an act of devotion. His role is unavoidably compared to Batman's, being just an 'act' made more real than the singular capitalist beneath. It's a repitition of Bruce's inability to reconcile the symbolic reality of his father with the man who failed to act, a defining contradiction at the center of the whole liberal democracy that the movies levy critique against.

Your first two sentences are somewhat contradictory, as the second implies that the devotion is what is real. Bane is not committed to revolutionary action, he is committed to destruction masquerading as revolutionary action. Revolution is movement, often as in this case seen as progress. But Bane doesn't want movement, he just wants an end. Many of you let the films' critique of liberal democracy blind you to its critique of demagoguery and fascism. And in a way, you allow yourselves to be duped by Bane along with the people of Gotham. He is like Iago; he does not believe a word he says, yet he is very good at convincing his audience that he is absolutely sincere in his espoused beliefs. The thing that is so great about Bane is that he is so convincingly admirable even to an audience who knows explicitly that he is a villain and a farce.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So Green Lantern came on and I just realize that somewhere in this movie is a good movie.

It's just so loving terrible though. Mark Strong is great as Sinestro, but seriously how did they go so wrong. The Special effects are pretty drat good, except for the suit. The guy who plays that weird bulbous head guy is good. It's just terrible.

He fights a giant glob.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 14, 2013

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The saddest about Green Lantern is the cliffhanger teaser ending for a sequel that will never happen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

So Green Lantern came on and I just realize that somewhere in this movie is a good movie.

It's just so loving terrible though. Mark Strong is great as Sinestro, but seriously how did they go so wrong. The Special effects are pretty drat good, except for the suit. The guy who plays that weird bulbous head guy is good. It's just terrible.

He fights a giant glob.

Mostly it needed to be about 20 minutes longer, and the antagonist scientist guy needed to not be related to the senator.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Also, you get to see Hal make like 5 things with the ring. The ending was him flying around in space with that thing shooting at him and then he's in a asteroid belt and then he's at the Sun and then giant boxing glove ? Huh?

It was just a terrible ending.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They were convinced it was going to be a huge hit and warrant a sequel right away so they put so many stupid things in there that could have waited. It's a shame, the book it's mostly cribbed from is an almost perfect film waiting to happen.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Joe Don Baker posted:

The saddest about Green Lantern is the cliffhanger teaser ending for a sequel that will never happen.

No. That tease is what should have happened at the the end of act one of the sequel, at the very soonest. If GREEN LANTERN was successful and did anything, the load would have been blown and wherever the new story started would either have to go back to before he put on the ring, which is no fun, or we'd simply have skipped the juiciest part of the story.

E: To that point, yeah, I guess it's fine it was included since it will clearly never materialize. Just bad stuff, all around.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Green Lantern is pretty much two or three movies worth of material crammed into one movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm okay with the movie being a bomb, it means the eventual reboot will be about Guy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'd prefer John Stewart to be the next one, John Stewart is awesome.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Danger posted:

PeterWeller posted:

Your first two sentences are somewhat contradictory, as the second implies that the devotion is what is real. Bane is not committed to revolutionary action, he is committed to destruction masquerading as revolutionary action. Revolution is movement, often as in this case seen as progress. But Bane doesn't want movement, he just wants an end. Many of you let the films' critique of liberal democracy blind you to its critique of demagoguery and fascism. And in a way, you allow yourselves to be duped by Bane along with the people of Gotham. He is like Iago; he does not believe a word he says, yet he is very good at convincing his audience that he is absolutely sincere in his espoused beliefs. The thing that is so great about Bane is that he is so convincingly admirable even to an audience who knows explicitly that he is a villain and a farce.

I can't remember a single cogent or compelling point Bane makes and I don't remember anyone in Gotham being convinced either. He shows up in Gotham spouts some drivel (which is almost completely lacking in ideology beyond some vague criticism of the establishment) and somehow strongmans a city of several million into submission with what appears to be a few dozen followers (why they're devoted and to what beyond typical comic book henchman motivation remains a mystery throughout). I don't think there's much to read into Banes actions because hes just a poorly thought out and written character, much like most of DKR.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Not lately he hasn't been.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Whizbang posted:

Continuing Dr. Strange chat, I think he needs to be played as B-movie a character as possible in an A-movie. With that in mind I nominate Stuart Townsend.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hollismason posted:

I think Green Lantern might have done better since most people are familiar with him than Hal Jordan thanks to the Justice League Cartoon.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Danger posted:

"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me."

What Bane did was activate a nuclear bomb with the intention of annihilating an entire city. You can't build a revolution out of corpses and rubble. I'd say that pretty much defines him as a fraud.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

achillesforever6 posted:

I think Green Lantern might have done better since most people are familiar with him than Hal Jordan thanks to the Justice League Cartoon.

There was a bit of an outcry over the film because so many people had no idea that GL is usually a white dude.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

pigdog posted:

So I saw Kick-rear end 2. That was a mistake. It's been a while since a sequel took such a huge poo poo on the franchise. Everything that made the original movie fun, this one murders. It's like it's written and directed by someone who really loathes superheroes but was forced to come up with a script because his family was held hostage. The message seems to be "Ha ha, superheroes wouldn't work in the real world, you're really stupid if you came in expecting the protagonists to succeed or do anything interesting in any way, or for this movie to be watchable". Most of the movie is inane teenage/family soap opera bullshit, except they then remembered to put some gross violence and rape jokes in, just to make sure nobody would enjoy it. The writing and directing are done by different people this time and are just terrible. Having had enough sense to pass on Movie 42, this one's the worst movie I've seen in years, and it's a shame too because I quite enjoyed the first one.

I saw this recently as well and share similar disappointments. There barely feels like a point to the movie, and it was really too much. I especially liked how one major character from the first film gets about three lines and is never heard from again. Also I don't understand why the main poster for the film had Jim Carrey in an ENTIRELY different costume.

Eh, whatever. Super was better than Kick-rear end in the first place anyhow.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
If they make a Justice League movie, they really should go with the John Stewart character for Green Lantern. 'Cause otherwise it's a bunch of white men, one white woman, and a green man.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

pigdog posted:

Not that I doubt the movie's mediocrity in any way, but doesn't this hew pretty closely to the source material, at least from what I've heard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spatula City posted:

If they make a Justice League movie, they really should go with the John Stewart character for Green Lantern. 'Cause otherwise it's a bunch of white men, one white woman, and a green man.

It's pretty much a given that Cyborg will take Manhunter's place since that's how it's been in the comics and animated films for the last two years. Maybe they'll make Flash hispanic or asian?

• Locked thread