Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Is Hillary still against raising the payroll tax cap? If so, that's a sweet spot to hit from the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I expect we'll also see people smacking Diamond Joe around on his lovely positions w/r/t bankruptcy and the credit card industry, though plagiarism and being your slapstick uncle who slips on a banana peel constantly seems to be what sticks with people the most.

EDIT: I also want him to run so that Taibbi will finally explain why he loathes Biden so strongly.

EDIT EDIT:

notthegoatseguy posted:

The major advantage Hillary has right now is she, unlike Biden, has actually won an early primary or caucus state before: New Hampshire. Biden hasn't. He's camping out and sucking up to everyone in these states because he's still trying to figure out where he can win and win big. Iowa' a good bet but then again, he's got a horrible electoral track record when it comes to running for President.
In classic Diamond Joe fashion, though, he's using a phone book and a motel phone and calling everyone in Iowa with the same last name as an elected official to thank them for their support and congratulate them on their victory. You can almost see the plastic six-pack ring and the potato chip crumbs all over his blazer.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 13, 2013

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

jeffersonlives posted:

Biden would be perceived as more liberal on issues like gay rights
I suppose some people can perceive whatever they like but that perception isn't really based on reality.

Biden voted for DOMA and the people in the know, know he was pushing Obama against coming out in support of gay marriage before trying to steal credit for it after the decision was made (and making a lot of enemies in Obamaland in the process).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DynamicSloth posted:

I suppose some people can perceive whatever they like but that perception isn't really based on reality.

Biden voted for DOMA and the people in the know, know he was pushing Obama against coming out in support of gay marriage before trying to steal credit for it after the decision was made (and making a lot of enemies in Obamaland in the process).

Can you elaborate on this?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Biden has a reputation for foot in mouth moments and being a gaffe-bomb. Earned or not, this narrative prevents him from having a serious shot at 2016, and he's attached at the hip to Obama's legacy.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Re: worst-run primary campaigns, you could probably make a case for Giuliani. He was also seen as inevitable by some people early on and that dude turned out to not even be a factor in the election at all, with his hilarious Florida strategy and his total lack of charm.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Biden is also atrocious on the war on drugs.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Kim Jong Il posted:

Biden is also atrocious on the war on drugs.

How so?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Denver PD might have to continue their practice of getting up early to beat the crowds because Denver is bidding to host the 2016 GOP convention.

Other cities bidding include Las Vegas, Kansas City, Charlotte, Chicago, and Cleveland.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Joementum posted:

The Denver PD might have to continue their practice of getting up early to beat the crowds because Denver is bidding to host the 2016 GOP convention.
:golfclap: It's like the 1960s all over again.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Beamed posted:

:golfclap: It's like the 1960s all over again.

Or 2008 all over again.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Among other things, he's responsible for COPS, which funnels money to SWAT raids.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/28/no-mr-vice-president-cops_n_2568497.html

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

You have to read between the lines a little bit but it's all in this story:

Biden apologizes to Obama for marriage controversy

The fact that not only was Biden made to apologize to the President but the entire details of the incident (including Biden's prior reticence on same sex marriage) suggests that a lot of people inside the White House were pissed.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
According to Double Down, what happened is that Biden's position actually did evolve, climaxing in a moment where a gay couple at a fundraiser asked him why they couldn't get married. Simultaneously, Obama's staff was planning a giant media event where the president came out in favor of gay marriage, because Obama had gotten tired of how weak his public position there was. Unfortunately, neither side told the other what was going on, so this lead to Joe Biden expressing his new views on national television weeks ahead of Obama's planned event. Cue the WH staffers howling for his blood, and Biden offering Obama an apology.

FWIW, Obama doesn't seem to hate Biden like his staffers do. They're actually quite close.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Honestly half of Biden's "gaffes" since becoming VP seem to be due to Obama's staff trying to keep him out of the loop.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DynamicSloth posted:

To be fair he did basically force Obama to come out in support of gay marriage.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

To be fair he did basically force Obama to come out in support of gay marriage.

If he tries to take the credit for that he's going to piss off a lot of people who were actually pushing Obama in that direction, not to mention Obama himself.

Though really I don't see many ways gay marriage becomes an issue in the Democratic primary in 2016.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DynamicSloth posted:

If he tries to take the credit for that he's going to piss off a lot of people who were actually pushing Obama in that direction, not to mention Obama himself.

Though really I don't see many ways gay marriage becomes an issue in the Democratic primary in 2016.

He won't try to but I don't think it's fair to paint him as somehow terrible on gay rights.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Used to be maybe, but so was the majority of your whole country until a relatively short while ago :shrug:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

He won't try to but I don't think it's fair to paint him as somehow terrible on gay rights.

By no means, if he was it could be an issue, but it won't be an issue because there will be zero daylight between each candidates' position.

Even the Republicans will be in basically the same place by 2016, Ted Cruz recently begged off with the federalism excuse as has Rand.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Crying federalism is wishing it would go away so you can quietly side with the social conservatives. Every Republican will say they want more judges like Scalia and people who care know what that means. The GOP platform will continue endorsing the federal marriage amendment unless SCOTUS has already settled things. I don't believe they are that bitter.

It's unlikely to be a big deal outside of "this candidate shares my values" exit polling but if Democrats keep the Nevada legislature there will be a 2016 referendum and Ohio and Colorado are moving toward it.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 14, 2013

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Honestly half of Biden's "gaffes" since becoming VP seem to be due to Obama's staff trying to keep him out of the loop.

If I were Obama I don't think I could resist sitting them all down and telling them to cut the juvenile bullshit, but I guess this is part of No Drama Obama.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Adar posted:

After NH, she went on to pick up an overwhelming percentage of her votes in areas where Obama purposefully didn't sink resources (because he was busy picking up caucus delegates and uncommitted supers for free)

This is an insightful point that I hope doesn't get lost. Obama's pick-and-choose strategy in the 2008 primary means that "Clinton beat Obama by X% in state Y, therefore she'd cleanup there in 2016" doesn't necessarily follow.

ReindeerF posted:

One question I've been wondering about - how does McAuliffe's new role affect his ability to carry out his duties as a Clinton/DLC bag man?

Well, he's probably not going for an elected office for a while since he's not up for re-election, so it's not like he can lose votes by being vocal. And Tim Kaine was DNC chair while he was Governor, so it's not like people haven't been able to do both - it's only a few hours from Richmond to DC.

Jazerus posted:

If I were Obama I don't think I could resist sitting them all down and telling them to cut the juvenile bullshit, but I guess this is part of No Drama Obama.

"Staffer smackdown" is the quickest path to a lot of hostile internal leaks, so Obama has an incentive to try to stay No Drama. That's not to suggest Presidents fear their staffers, but ruling with an iron fist can backfire. Throw in Obama being overworked and probably only getting limited info on these sorts of issues, and I can see why intervention there becomes a challenge.

Also, if this happened, you'd never hear about it. Most of these sorts of stories make their way into "Game Change" style books and Politico because someone has a bug up his rear end and gives his one-sided take to a journalist, so frequently you only hear things that benefit somebody involved or are slanted to their PoV. Nobody ever tells the reporter things which hurt their ego or their objectives. If Obama was forced to have an aggressive "cut the bullshit" sitdown/mediation, the staffers wouldn't leak it because they look bad getting schooled by the President, Biden wouldn't leak it because it makes him sound weak, and Obama wouldn't leak it because he doesn't want to encourage "Democratic infighting" gossip.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Stormagetiton posted:

Well, he's probably not going for an elected office for a while since he's not up for re-election, so it's not like he can lose votes by being vocal. And Tim Kaine was DNC chair while he was Governor, so it's not like people haven't been able to do both - it's only a few hours from Richmond to DC.
Yeah, true, I guess I'm just a bit surprised if a sitting Governor can spend anything approaching a similar amount of time running around the country raising money for his political allies the way he did when he was a full-time DLC/Clinton bag man. A lot of that money comes from other parts of the country (and China :lol:).

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

TheBalor posted:

According to Double Down, what happened is that Biden's position actually did evolve, climaxing in a moment where a gay couple at a fundraiser asked him why they couldn't get married. Simultaneously, Obama's staff was planning a giant media event where the president came out in favor of gay marriage, because Obama had gotten tired of how weak his public position there was. Unfortunately, neither side told the other what was going on, so this lead to Joe Biden expressing his new views on national television weeks ahead of Obama's planned event. Cue the WH staffers howling for his blood, and Biden offering Obama an apology.

FWIW, Obama doesn't seem to hate Biden like his staffers do. They're actually quite close.

If only Obama grew tired of his perceived weakness on a host of other issues, this presidency might still go somewhere.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, true, I guess I'm just a bit surprised if a sitting Governor can spend anything approaching a similar amount of time running around the country raising money for his political allies the way he did when he was a full-time DLC/Clinton bag man. A lot of that money comes from other parts of the country (and China :lol:).

Aren't we talking about a guy who stopped in for a fundraiser while bringing his newborn home from the hospital? Being Governor just means he's got a nice mansion to hold dinners in.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Considering he only got elected because the GOP put up the most loathsome guys they could find, I would hope he would as least tone down the slimy politician cliché long enough so that people aren't sickened by electing him and turn off voting for Democrats in Virginia.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Gyges posted:

Aren't we talking about a guy who stopped in for a fundraiser while bringing his newborn home from the hospital? Being Governor just means he's got a nice mansion to hold dinners in.

The Virginia House of Delegates is 2/3 Republican. I'm not exactly expecting McAuliffe to be overburdened with bills to sign.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
McAuliffe's a party hack, and he'll be a party hack as governor. He'll support whoever and whatever the Clintons (or the DNC) tell him to.

I don't think he'll do any irreparable damage to Virginia--in fact, if they had a decent legislature he could be persuaded to sign some good legislation--but I don't expect him to be an all-star.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

He's also term limited and there's unlikely to be an open Democratic Senate seat from Virginia any time in the next decade, his only hope for advancement is the Clinton Cabinet.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He could steal Bill Daley's coveted Worst 21st Century Chief of Staff award.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

DynamicSloth posted:

He's also term limited and there's unlikely to be an open Democratic Senate seat from Virginia any time in the next decade and a half, his only hope for advancement is the Clinton Cabinet.

God don't even joke about him running for senate. I thought it was fairly obvious he's just resume burnishing to justify a position in the Clinton white house? VA has been a pretty successful springboard for its Dem governors and McAuliffe hasn't really had anything but drunken commentator on news channel on his resume since 2005. I mean he can still be the fundraising guy but that only gets him an Ambassadorship to Spain or the UK.

The only harm he'll really do to Virginia in the meantime is if he gets caught in some corrupt fundraising scandal....

We're doomed.

farraday fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 15, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Adar posted:

Hillary ran the worst presidential primary campaign since at least Thomas Dewey.

How can you say that in the same cycle (2008) as we had
1. Rudy Giuliani's amazing "ignore every primary before Florida" strategy that turned him into a national laughingstock and left him with a dismal third place finish in the state he staked everything on.
2. Fred Thompson hailed as the savior of the GOP upon his late Labor Day entrance (it seems every cycle since 2004 has had one of these between Clark in 2004, Thompson in 2008, and Perry in 2012 and they all flame out...maybe jumping into the race six months late is a mistake)? Thompson promptly blew everything by, among other things, literally being too lazy to campaign and having the most open schedule of any presidential primary candidate in recent memory, including, IIRC, a flat-out refusal to hold events before 11 AM. An utter lack of exposure sends him tumbling from savior of the GOP to "oh, I forgot that guy was in the race" in mere weeks.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Giuliani didn't really have great options. Iowa and South Carolina are nonstarters for a pro-choice Republican in this day and age. He decided to make Florida the point to make the stand instead of New Hampshire, and while that was obviously very wrong in retrospect, the part that Rudy doesn't know when he's making that call is that McCain is going to sweep New Hampshire and South Carolina. If, say, Huckabee pulls out South Carolina, suddenly that wing of the party is not unifying around McCain so quickly, and Rudy's guessed right.

Fred Thompson was really doing more of a free media publicity tour than a presidential campaign.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAVE_Act

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Joementum posted:

He could steal Bill Daley's coveted Worst 21st Century Chief of Staff award.

Why was Bill Daley such an awful COS? I've heard this a bunch but never any specifics

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Biden also had a hand in asset forfeiture.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

this_is_hard posted:

Why was Bill Daley such an awful COS? I've heard this a bunch but never any specifics

He was brought in to kiss big business' collective rear end and he talked openly about replacing Biden with Hillary on the ticket.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Robert Costa is reporting on Twitter that Mike Huckabee is in Iowa doing events with Gov. Terry Branstad. Also there's murmuring about Jeb Bush losing weight and big donors quietly asking if he has a timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

this_is_hard posted:

He repeatedly tried to cut deals on legislation with Congress without telling anyone else in the White House. This caused rather obvious problems.

• Locked thread