Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuph
Aug 31, 2004

donkey punching my way to the top

CrashCat posted:

Honestly the easiest way is to just call them up and ask what it would cost. It's not like they will be able to just change it without your permission if you tell them up front you are just asking what it costs.

This is really the only way. I occasionally deal with telecom taxes as part of my job and taxes and fees really do change on a per-city basis. Some are flat per line, some are a percentage of service, some are a percentage of service over X dollars, some are a percentage up to Y dollars, etc. It's really impossible to guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
My S4 has a small ~1" crack in one of the corners. I'm not sure what from, but there aren't any dents or anything around the phone.

I've had it maybe a month and a half. Would Sprint replace the screen for me, or am I SOL?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

raej posted:

My S4 has a small ~1" crack in one of the corners. I'm not sure what from, but there aren't any dents or anything around the phone.

I've had it maybe a month and a half. Would Sprint replace the screen for me, or am I SOL?

If they have a spare screen they might replace it if you have the insurance. If not they'll probably tell you to go to Samsung or charge you $50.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

raej posted:

If it's really under one inch. Complain it's not working right some how. Assuming you have tep you'll get a replacement phone.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
Ordered a gold 5s 4 weeks ago. Still no joy. My Sprint rep said it could take 8 weeks. Meanwhile, Apple's site says 2-3 weeks for all colors.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
The Apple stores are also getting them in on a regular basis, if you're near one. My manager got a gold one through them by reserving it when it showed available. We still haven't received a single one.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist

TVs Ian posted:

The Apple stores are also getting them in on a regular basis, if you're near one. My manager got a gold one through them by reserving it when it showed available. We still haven't received a single one.

Unfortunately, I have to order through my company's Sprint rep.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Bring on the CLRWIRE --> Sprint TDD-LTE upgrades: http://imgur.com/a/XBJpw

Now just to find a store that will give me a UICC for my N5.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Just so you guys know, the cost for an in-store repair without TEP is up to $75 as of yesterday.

Might want to start keeping a spare phone around in case you have to use your warranty.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So there's a pretty significant LTE issue with the G2 and Nexus 5 if you're in certain markets. You wont be able to connect to LTE-only towers until those towers are upgraded with 3G as well.

Check this doc: https://docs.google.com/a/ninjadisco.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhjoCbLKCt72dHJKMTVrc3lrSE95cklOTnB0V0c0M1E&usp=drive_web#gid=0

If you're in a non-incumbent market you are going to connect to fewer LTE towers with the Nexus 5 and G2 for awhile.

Some internal Sprint memo:

quote:

Sprint eCSFB Gap Issue Legal Approved Talking Points:

eCSFB Gap Talking Points

Sprint’s Network Vision Plan (Spectrum)
Sprint’s Network Vision plan includes access to three spectrum bands, (1.9, 800 and 2.5), and LTE handsets with a single radio.
Access to diverse spectrum assets allows Sprint to maximize capacity and coverage.
Current Sprint LTE Devices (2 Radios)
Current Sprint LTE devices are Simultaneous Voice and LTE (SVLTE)—using two radios, one for voice and one for LTE data. This allows CDMA calls and LTE to operate at the same time.
Dual Radio SVLTE devices can degrade the user’s quality of experience – two antennas may slow throughput at the cell edge and reduce battery life.
Future Sprint LTE Devices (1 Radio)
CSFB and eCSFB (Circuit Switch Fall Back and enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back) are features that enable single radio functionality in the handset.
eCSFB Benefits:
With eCSFB implementation, Sprint will be able to offer fast LTE data speeds and 3G voice supported on single radio devices. This provides a more cost effective option for Sprint’s long-term business plans to support additional spectrum bands.
eCSFB is expected to improve handset battery life compared to SVLTE.
eCSFB Gap Issue – What you Need to know:
Smart devices require eCSFB to “fall back” to 3G to accept a voice call if the user is connected to the LTE network.
All markets need to be upgraded with eCSFB capability.
eCSFB Gaps are only in non-incumbent markets where a site has 4G LTE and no 3G upgrade.
4G LTE integration with 3G is different by OEM type:
Incumbent markets – LTE 4G only sites can communicate with either legacy 3G or NV 3G sites.
Non-Incumbent – LTE 4G can only communicate with NV 3G sites; so individual sites need both NV upgrades.
LTE devices – Customer Experience
When 4G LTE is deployed in a non-incumbent market on sites without upgrade to 3G service, there is a gap.
Existing Devices – No Impact
eCSFB Devices – Phone becomes 3G only device
Non-Launched Markets
No coverage visible on Sprint.com maps but different experience for users with existing devices versus new eCSFB devices.
Launched Markets
Sprint coverage tools will display LTE coverage. For new LTE smart device users this could be confusing since they would expect LTE and 3G coverage with the device they purchased, but would not experience LTE until the 3G network is upgraded.
Mitigation plan:

New LTE Markets
When locking new LTE markets for announcement/ launch, eCSFB deployment status will be a factor in the analysis. New LTE markets will not be announced unless the eCSFB gap risk is low.
Complete the build quickly in eCSFB gap impacted markets.
Acronyms
CSFB – Circuit Switch Fall Back. It allows for single radio devices. (ERC)
eCSFB – Enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back Next generation CSFB. (ALU, STA)
SVLTE – Simultaneous Voice & LTE. Allows CDMA calls and LTE to operate simultaneously
Incumbent – An incumbent market is one in which the OEM stays the same as before Network Vision
Non-incumbent – A market in which the OEM changes as well as all of the equipment.
ERC - Ericsson
ALU – Alcatel Lucent
STA - Samsung
NV – Network Vision
OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer (ERC, ALU, STA)
Gap – 4G LTE on sites without appropriate upgrades to 3G service
1.9 GHz Spectrum - Provides initial capacity and coverage for voice and data services.
800 MHz Spectrum - Improves coverage and in-building penetration for all services.
2.5 GHz Spectrum - Increases data capacity to support higher data demands and more users.

S4GRU thread:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5001-tri-band-lteecsfb-issues-thread/

Also don't ever criticize Sprint on S4GRU or some white knight mod will chastise you.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Will the Nexus 5 handle Sprint's 800mhz LTE whenever that rolls out or is it just the G2 that's confirmed so far?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Nexus 5 is tri-band/Spark.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ok one interesting experience with my EVO LTE here..

I was at a job on the phone last Friday, and to my surprise, I was able to not only be on the call, but able to use the web, on 3G, at the same time...

Any idea why in the heck this was able to happen? Did something change with that HD Voice thing? I can see it working when on 4G, but on 3G?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

Ok one interesting experience with my EVO LTE here..

I was at a job on the phone last Friday, and to my surprise, I was able to not only be on the call, but able to use the web, on 3G, at the same time...

Any idea why in the heck this was able to happen? Did something change with that HD Voice thing? I can see it working when on 4G, but on 3G?

There are a handful of phones that basically have 2 CDMA antennas so they can do that. Back when AT&T was making a big deal out of it, some manufacturers came up with that as a workaround.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

There are a handful of phones that basically have 2 CDMA antennas so they can do that. Back when AT&T was making a big deal out of it, some manufacturers came up with that as a workaround.

I recall at least Verizon did that with the GS3. Maybe the Sprint phones got it too.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I know the Sprint S3 had it too; I'd used it plenty of times.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got experience 4G this weekend in Phoenix. It was only available in a small area where there was nothing but road. :stare: Sprint's network is weird. Friend I was with was on his Verizon phone and had 4G almost the entire time. :negative:

If you're in Arizona, and you're reading this thread; Go with Verizon.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I said come in! posted:

If you're in The United States, and you're reading this thread; Go with any carrier that isn't Sprint.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Thanks CSR who mistakenly put in a request to refund an ETF that was legitimate. I tried once to clarify that only one line was not supposed to get charged an ETF but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Cross post from Android Thread:

Trip report to Sprint store to check out a N5:

Speed test showed downloads of .35mbs. On the other side of the store a Moto X showed download speeds of 4mbs. Both showed LTE. I do not live in a Triband area but I'm not in the Samsung tower area so I thought I should get LTE, but it looks like the Triband phones are kind of screwed if you're not in a Triband area.

TLDR: Don't get a N5, LG G2, Galaxy S4 Mini, or Galaxy Mega on Sprint unless you spend the vast majority of your time in Sprint Triband areas.

One of the references:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/...ack-technology/

The Sprint Galaxy Nexus from 2 years ago most likely has much faster network connectivity than the N5.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The CSFB issue doesn't affect speed, it affects whether you connect to LTE at all. In the situation you describe maybe the Nexus 5 found a CSFB LTE tower with a weak signal, while the other devices connected to a stronger non-CSFB tower. Or something else weird was going on. But in my tests where both my Nexus 5 and SGS3 were connected to LTE they got comparable speeds.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

The CSFB issue doesn't affect speed, it affects whether you connect to LTE at all. In the situation you describe maybe the Nexus 5 found a CSFB LTE tower with a weak signal, while the other devices connected to a stronger non-CSFB tower. Or something else weird was going on. But in my tests where both my Nexus 5 and SGS3 were connected to LTE they got comparable speeds.

I thought what people were saying is that the device will say LTE and not actually connect to it at all. No one really seems to be talking about the issue however as it's restricted to regions that don't have tech press.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

No, it will show 3G, not LTE. At most you will briefly see LTE and then it will fall back to 3G when the phone realizes the tower can't do CSFB.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

Stick100 posted:

Cross post from Android Thread:

Trip report to Sprint store to check out a N5:

Speed test showed downloads of .35mbs. On the other side of the store a Moto X showed download speeds of 4mbs. Both showed LTE. I do not live in a Triband area but I'm not in the Samsung tower area so I thought I should get LTE, but it looks like the Triband phones are kind of screwed if you're not in a Triband area.

TLDR: Don't get a N5

That's actually the exact opposite conclusion that S4GRU has reached regarding the N5's LTE speeds:

Robert from S4GRU posted:

The FCC OET revealed very good EIRP measurements for the Nexus 5 testing for Sprint LTE bands. So we were expecting something good. But I think it's safe to say the member reports of the great LTE RF performance has exceeded our expectations.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4989-lg-google-nexus-5-users-thread/page-71#entry236071

If anything, the N5 wasn't able to connect to the same LTE towers due to the eCSFB problem and had to deal with a weaker signal or a saturated tower. Either way, the N5 has an amazing radio. It's just the Sprint network that's in shambles.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

DanAdamKOF posted:

My Galaxy Nexus is on the stock 4.2.1 Sprint firmware, with root (rooted via Mskips' Galaxy Nexus Toolkit). There's a 4.3 OTA update available now. I have OTA Rootkeeper, but I'm reading that it won't work when updating to 4.3. How can I keep root when installing the OTA update, or if I can't at all, what can I do to re-root after installing the OTA without having to reinstall everything?
In case anyone else was confused like me, here's what I did to re-root after the OTA, going mostly step-by-step in case you need your hand held:
I downloaded the latest Wugfresh toolkit from here: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/
Install the file you downloaded.
I started the program, it asked me if I wanted it to download a TWRP image, I told it yes
I told it I have a Galaxy Nexus Toroplus (Sprint's version) with Any Android version
I clicked Root, and I can't remember if it was ticked before or I did it, but the Custom Recovery box was also ticked
Some prompts came up, and at first it said it failed to connect to my phone. Turned on my phone and there's a prompt on it to confirm that my computer can use USB Debugging on my phone, so I told it OK, and then retried connecting with the toolkit, which then went OK
It pushed some files to my phone, then rebooted it into recovery.
The toolkit had some prompts to follow, so follow them by navigating to a directory and clicking a few files, in a certain order, to install in a batch.
Install and reboot your phone, then open SuperSU and play with that according to the prompts. Then install Busybox, which at first may throw up an error, but then SuperSU's prompt will come up to allow it root access. If you see then then you should be properly rooted.

Shoutouts to Technogeek for helping me out!

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I'm not sure how amazing the radio in the N5 is. I was at Disneyland over the weekend and my N5 was jumping from LTE to 3G to 1x to roaming constantly. My girlfriends Sprint 4s, on the other hand, had a solid 3G connection the entire time. Then again that's the only place I've had any issue so far; at work and home I get consistent LTE, only 3mbps but at least it doesn't jump around killing my battery.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ButtaKnife posted:

That's actually the exact opposite conclusion that S4GRU has reached regarding the N5's LTE speeds:

Oh I understand, but the issue is that you might not be able connect to LTE depending on your circumstance. If you can't get LTE you're stuck with the 3G level of service that Sprint is notorious for.

Even in most post NV locations you end up on 3G quite often and with a Tri-Band phone it seem likely that you will end up on 3G more often than than a Non-Tri band LTE device.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So apparently one of my neighbors has an Airave not understanding all the towers in this area have been upgraded. So occassionally might phone will jump to his airave and give me one lovely bar. Consensus is that I'm pretty much hosed.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Koirhor posted:

So apparently one of my neighbors has an Airave not understanding all the towers in this area have been upgraded. So occassionally might phone will jump to his airave and give me one lovely bar. Consensus is that I'm pretty much hosed.

Uh go outside and talk to your neighbors?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Someone please confirm this, but can't your neighbor configure his airave to only allow his phones on? Still depends on him, of course...

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

WoG posted:

Someone please confirm this, but can't your neighbor configure his airave to only allow his phones on? Still depends on him, of course...

Yes. My mother in law had one and I set it up for just her phone, my phone and my wife's. You log into it like you would a router and you can add a bunch of phones to a whitelist. Of course it comes defaulted at let everyone on.

I assume this is to try to make their network look better.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Last I checked, you set those numbers on the Sprint website and they do the actual configuration for you. Logging into the Airrave itself doesn't give you very many editable settings, though I think that's where you actually enable the whitelist setting to begin with.

Edit: and I thought there really isn't a reason to turn on that security. I was under the impression that everything going through the airrave is VPN'ed to Sprints network. I know when I do a bandwidth test it shows the nearest servers near Sprint HQ. And really, the amount of bandwidth that thing uses is pretty minimal. I haven't ever noticed a slowdown while someone was talking on the phone, though it might be more noticeable on a lovely DSL connection or something.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 15, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlyingCheese posted:

Edit: and I thought there really isn't a reason to turn on that security. I was under the impression that everything going through the airrave is VPN'ed to Sprints network. I know when I do a bandwidth test it shows the nearest servers near Sprint HQ. And really, the amount of bandwidth that thing uses is pretty minimal. I haven't ever noticed a slowdown while someone was talking on the phone, though it might be more noticeable on a lovely DSL connection or something.

If it used too much bandwidth someone might get the wrong idea about Sprint's network.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

"FlyingCheese posted:

The security is more because the Airave only can connect to a certain amount of phones. If it's wide open and you have a bunch of Sprint customers living around you close enough that their phones connect to your Airave instead of whatever terrible tower is further away, you could be left out in the cold on your own device.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I ditched my Airave as soon as they upgraded everything in my area.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I swear to god, trying to get a tablet on the indirect employee plan is one of the most frustrating things ever.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Haha, I've been trying to get a custom Moto X and so far both my owner and our IAE have just thrown up their hands.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
So, because I'll be stuck with Sprint for a few weeks until my ETF is over, and a N5 is coming my way, will it renew my contract to activate the nexus (bought from play store)? I supposedly have LTE (non tri-band) here, so I may as well give it a shot, despite not being too thrilled with the network lately.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

No, it won't do anything to your contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

So there's a pretty significant LTE issue with the G2 and Nexus 5 if you're in certain markets. You wont be able to connect to LTE-only towers until those towers are upgraded with 3G as well.

Check this doc: https://docs.google.com/a/ninjadisco.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhjoCbLKCt72dHJKMTVrc3lrSE95cklOTnB0V0c0M1E&usp=drive_web#gid=0

If you're in a non-incumbent market you are going to connect to fewer LTE towers with the Nexus 5 and G2 for awhile.

Some internal Sprint memo:

S4GRU thread:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5001-tri-band-lteecsfb-issues-thread/

Also don't ever criticize Sprint on S4GRU or some white knight mod will chastise you.

I suspect the Galaxy S4 Mini has the same issue. The demo and the handful of phones we've sold refuse to connect to LTE. It'll blink on for a moment, then drop to 3G.

Though our demo G2 does get LTE, so maybe it's some other issue.