Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

AFewBricksShy posted:

My favorite town in PA is King of Prussia, PA. It's not named after the King of Prussia, but rather the inn in the town that was called the King of Prussia Inn.

The Inn was actually named after Frederick the Great, who was never the King of Prussia, but rather a King in Prussia, as well! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Man
Aug 12, 2007

Adventure Time
come on grab your friends
Post maps you nerds.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Indiana, Pennsylvania has a school named Indiana University. Not to be confused with the state university of Indiana, Indiana University.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Peanut President posted:

Indiana, Pennsylvania has a school named Indiana University. Not to be confused with the state university of Indiana, Indiana University.

Better yet, it's not just Indiana University, it's Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Of course, it's no Miami University of Ohio.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm just weirded out by the fact that Kansas City is the largest city...of Missouri.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

DarkCrawler posted:

I'm just weirded out by the fact that Kansas City is the largest city...of Missouri.

That is a really weird perspective. I get that it's representative of how it's supposed to look on the globe, but it's a flat map. I'd prefer a level, straight-on view that may not be entirely accurate to a wonky, more correct projection.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
Tang dynasty in the 7th century. Tibet had a tributary relationship at this point.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

AFewBricksShy posted:

My favorite town in PA is King of Prussia, PA. It's not named after the King of Prussia, but rather the inn in the town that was called the King of Prussia Inn.

Oh there's a town named that way in Paris suburbs, Le Kremlin-Bicetre.

It was originally just called Bicetre (a corruption of Winchester, as the Archbishop of Winchester had a manor there) and in the 19th century the name Kremlin was added after a tavern frequented by Russia veterans called Au sergent du Kremlin (at the Kremlin's sergeant).

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

What IS the deal with Pennsylvania?!

What, your region doesn't have poo poo named after what ever they felt like in whatever language they cared to do it in?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I guess the map thread is the appropriate place to ask geography questions. What do Americans (or maybe just New Englanders) have against the concept of villages? When I was in New England travelling through the countryside every settlement, no matter how tiny, seemed to be called a town. To me as a European anything with a population of less than a thousand or so is a village, so it was weird seeing four or five houses having a sign saying it was a town.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

marktheando posted:

I guess the map thread is the appropriate place to ask geography questions. What do Americans (or maybe just New Englanders) have against the concept of villages? When I was in New England travelling through the countryside every settlement, no matter how tiny, seemed to be called a town. To me as a European anything with a population of less than a thousand or so is a village, so it was weird seeing four or five houses having a sign saying it was a town.

I think it's just a general terminology thing, the term "village" in the US is almost never used to refer to American towns. Villages do exist legally in the US, though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

marktheando posted:

As usual it varies by state, but in general there's not really a legal definition of a "village" and it's used interchangeably with towns and cities (apparently in the state of Idaho for example, all municipalities are called cities).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

marktheando posted:

As others have said since there is no national legal binding to demarcate things as villages the general consensus in the US is that if you're a village you're some rustic 16th century european straw-roofed place whereas town has a modern bent to it so everybody wants to be a town.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

I think it's just a general terminology thing, the term "village" in the US is almost never used to refer to American towns. Villages do exist legally in the US, though.

I grew up in a legal village in Michigan of about 500 or so people although I'm 99% sure we didn't have any local governance other than the township so it was just a name.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Barudak posted:

As others have said since there is no national legal binding to demarcate things as villages the general consensus in the US is that if you're a village you're some rustic 16th century european straw-roofed place whereas town has a modern bent to it so everybody wants to be a town.

That was my suspicion. Thanks for the answers everyone.

computer parts posted:

(apparently in the state of Idaho for example, all municipalities are called cities).

Silly, everyone knows you aren't a city unless you have a cathedral.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

marktheando posted:

Silly, everyone knows you aren't a city unless you have a cathedral.

If Mormon temples count that would justify a few of them.

Anyway:

(I think the geographic center includes Alaska & Hawaii)

Bonus map including Ohio!

I do not fall in this category at all.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Barudak posted:

I guess this might be true if you're just talking about how things are named, but terms like "town" or "city" have legal meanings that vary a lot from state to state. In CT there are plenty of places that call themselves "villages," but they're always part of a larger town and never have any form of local governance. Even cities in CT have to be part of a parent town, although as far as I know all the cities in CT are coextensive with the towns that they're technically subordinate to. Meanwhile, "village" actually does have a legal definition in New York and NY villages provide services to their residents.

Edit- we even have a town with a population of 900 that includes a village :xd:

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 13, 2013

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

I guess this might be true if you're just talking about how things are named, but terms like "town" or "city" have legal meanings that vary a lot from state to state. In CT there are plenty of places that call themselves "villages," but they're always part of a larger town and never have any form of local governance. Even cities in CT have to be part of a parent town, although as far as I know all the cities in CT are coextensive with the towns that they're technically subordinate to. Meanwhile, "village" actually does have a legal definition in New York and NY villages provide services to their residents.

Edit- we even have a town with a population of 900 that includes a village :xd:

Now I'm just even more confused. Cities that are subordinate to towns? What?

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Yeah, in NY a hamlet can incorporate, and become it's own village. Usually as an excuse to enrich some rear end in a top hat politicians.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

marktheando posted:

Yep. Towns are the basic municipality under counties in CT, and cities have to be a part of a parent town. It's a totally meaningless bit of trivia since all the cities in CT are coextensive with their parent towns and have a consolidated government, but there it is.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Of course, it's no Miami University of Ohio.

Miami in Ohio is named after the Miami people from that area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_people

Miami in Florida is named after the Mayaimi people from that area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayaimi

Different origins, but the Ohio area used the name by English-speakers 100 years earlier.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In Holland, only the terms 'municipality' and 'built-up area' are defined by law.

So what's considered a city/town/village? It depends on whatever people commonly call a place, there's no strict definition at all.

Although, some people use the definition of historical (medieval) city rights. Often, but not always, historical cities were walled.

In any case, by this historical definition, the village of Staverden (pop. 40 including surrounding farms) is a city, but the modern city of The Hague, which houses the parliament, is not actually a city, as it never got medieval city rights.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

DarkCrawler posted:

Kansas City, Missouri, is across a river from Kansas City, Kansas

marktheando posted:

It varies by state, as with many things in the USA

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 13, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

marktheando posted:

If you're ever confused as to why something has a ton of stupid variable rules in the US the answer is always because we have states. Why are American gun laws so wacky? States. Why is every business in America technically from Delaware? States. Why can't American's name things consistently? 46 States and 4 Commonwealths.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Barudak posted:

If you're ever confused as to why something has a ton of stupid variable rules in the US the answer is always because we have states. Why are American gun laws so wacky? States. Why is every business in America technically from Delaware? States. Why can't American's name things consistently? 46 States and 4 Commonwealths.

And that's mostly because originally the States were like European States - separate countries that happened to have a common overlying government that they agreed to be a part of.

Then the Civil War happened and well the rest is history.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

New England is a bit different from the rest of the country since pretty much every piece of land is part of some town or another, with the exception of even-more-middle-of-nowhere-than-the-rest-of-the-state places in Maine (and perhaps VT or NH as well, I forget). The rest of the country has land in-between towns which I couldn't wrap my head around when I first left New Englad. "You mean we're not in any town?"

Anyways, in New England at least, as someone said, villages tend to be unofficial centers of commerce within towns. A town refers to the municipal borders, but if a town has three "main street" type places, then it might have three villages. These can be unofficial or they might be census-designated places (meaning they exist only for the purpose of counting and making colored maps). Sometimes they have a post office and you can address mail to the village name but no one except geography nerds and town officials really understands what's going on.

The colloquial names for villages tend to vary too. People usually refer to the village Rockville in Vernon CT as "Vernon-Rockville", though the nearby village Storrs in Mansfield, CT is usually called "Storrs, Mansfield". Then there's Willimantic, a village (city? CDP?) in Windham, CT, but people refer to it as just "Willimantic" or "that shithole". Where I grew up in MA, we had villages but no one ever used them in casual conversation.

Newton, MA is a good example of a city (in MA, cities are the same level as towns, I think) where the villages have grown into each other over time, so there are no longer swaths of farmland dividing settled areas. But most of them are still commonly used conversationally and have a small commercial core.

tl; dr, I guess villages are like big neighborhoods.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 14, 2013

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SurgicalOntologist posted:

New England is a bit different from the rest of the country since pretty much every piece of land is part of some town or another, with the exception of even-more-middle-of-nowhere-than-the-rest-of-the-state places in Maine (and perhaps VT or NH as well, I forget). The rest of the country has land in-between towns which I couldn't wrap my head around when I first left New Englad. "You mean we're not in any town?"

Anyways, in New England at least, as someone said, villages tend to be unofficial centers of commerce within towns. A town refers to the municipal borders, but if a town has three "main street" type places, then it might have three villages. These can be unofficial or they might be census-designated places (meaning they exist only for the purpose of counting and making colored maps). Sometimes they have a post office and you can address mail to the village name but no one except geography nerds and town officials really understands what's going on.

The colloquial names for villages tend to vary too. People usually refer to the village Rockville in Vernon CT as "Vernon-Rockville", though the nearby village Storrs in Mansfield, CT is usually called "Storrs, Mansfield". Then there's Willimantic, a village (city? CDP?) in Windham, CT, but people refer to it as just "Willimantic" or "that shithole". Where I grew up in MA, we had villages but no one ever used them in casual conversation.

Newton, MA is a good example of a city (in MA, cities are the same level as towns, I think) where the villages have grown into each other over time, so there are no longer swaths of farmland dividing settled areas. But most of them are still commonly used conversationally and have a small commercial core.

tl; dr, I guess villages are like big neighborhoods.

That's interesting. I hadn't considered that it was because of the way local government works. In Scotland we do have villages within towns and cities, but they are always a result of a city growing to absorb surrounding villages, so people just keep calling some neighbourhoods villages despite them being part of a city for generations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

E: /\ /\ Also, in addition to villages that date to original colonial settlement centers, some date to industrial-era complexes where there was a mill, a company general store, and some houses. For example, along the Blackstone River in RI, between the cities of Woonsocket and Pawtucket, you have the villages Manville, Albion, Ashton, in the town of Lincoln and then the village Valley Falls in the town of Cumberland. All originally centered around a factory/mill.

DarkCrawler posted:

Just want to add that I like this map but it's way too liberal with what it includes in each region. If it's not contiguous, don't count it in the same region. That simple rule would eliminate all the ridiculousness (Kansas City, Salt Lake City, and... is that Boise?!?). Then the natural assumption is, hey, maybe Minneapolis, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, and Memphis are actually microregions (aka "regions") and not part of some far away megaregion. Also New Orleans, because Gulf Coast doesn't fit with the others.

E: Also on what planet is Hampton Roads part of a Northeast megaregion but not Albany?

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 14, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What ever, just pretend it's a map of mega-city states in some cyberpunk future.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here in Illinois, small municipalities seem to prefer being referred to as "villages" instead of "towns". Village of Sugar Grove, Village of Oswego, Village of Skokie, Village of Schaumburg, etc...

computer parts posted:

Bonus map including Ohio!

:suicide:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

fermun posted:

Miami in Ohio is named after the Miami people from that area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_people

Miami in Florida is named after the Mayaimi people from that area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayaimi

Different origins, but the Ohio area used the name by English-speakers 100 years earlier.

I went to the Ohio version of Miami and one of the bookstores there sells t-shirts that say "Miami was a university when Florida belonged to Spain".

Also, I frequently get confused when people comment on how nice the weather must have been when I tell them that I went to Miami University.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

computer parts posted:

My favorite one is the one where Penn State is located, State College, Pennsylvania.

State college is a funny town because you go driving along 80 and then suddenly out of nowhere a small city appears. :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

tk posted:

"Miami was a university when Florida belonged to Spain".

:golfclap:

I take it you're familiar with the bit from The Office then as well?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

State college is a funny town because you go driving along 80 and then suddenly out of nowhere a small city appears. :v:

That's near identical to College Station to be fair.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

computer parts posted:

If Mormon temples count that would justify a few of them.

Anyway:

(I think the geographic center includes Alaska & Hawaii)
I think the geographic center is the point at which the country, including Alaska and Hawaii, would be perfectly balanced population-wise. So it's not just about numbers, but about distance from that center. The geographic mean is simply the point where exactly 1/4 of the population lives NE, NW, SE, and SW of it. The difference between the two is caused by the fact that the region between the Mississippi and California is very underpopulated, not to mention the distance of Alaska and Hawaii.

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

Missouri has a lot of weird cities. Here's a list of some:
Alexandria
Beverly Hills
Buffalo
Charleston
California
Carthage
Columbia
Cuba
Essex
Kansas City
Lebanon
Liberal
Lexington
Louisiana
Memphis
Mexico
Moscow Mills
Mount Vernon
Oakland
Odessa
Pacific
Paris
Richmond
Versailles
Vienna
Warsaw

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The great state of Missouri is a microcosm of the whole world.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 14, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If you look up any major European city on Wikipedia and then click disambiguation, you'll usually find a whole list of American towns.

Yes, I have done this. No one can tell me I don't belong in the map nerd thread.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Just want to add that I like this map but it's way too liberal with what it includes in each region. If it's not contiguous, don't count it in the same region. That simple rule would eliminate all the ridiculousness (Kansas City, Salt Lake City, and... is that Boise?!?). Then the natural assumption is, hey, maybe Minneapolis, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, and Memphis are actually microregions (aka "regions") and not part of some far away megaregion. Also New Orleans, because Gulf Coast doesn't fit with the others.

E: Also on what planet is Hampton Roads part of a Northeast megaregion but not Albany?

Gulf Coast is actually pretty closely integrated, culturally. Up until the southern Texas part, it's all variations on a French Catholic inspired theme. That region is the part of the US that cares about Mardi Gras, with Mobile and New Orleans having the oldest and best known parades, respectively. Sure, there are some scattered celebrations north of there, but almost every decent sized city from Pensacola to Galveston either has its own Krewe or is very close to a city with multiple Krewes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Golbez posted:

I think the geographic center is the point at which the country, including Alaska and Hawaii, would be perfectly balanced population-wise. So it's not just about numbers, but about distance from that center. The geographic mean is simply the point where exactly 1/4 of the population lives NE, NW, SE, and SW of it. The difference between the two is caused by the fact that the region between the Mississippi and California is very underpopulated, not to mention the distance of Alaska and Hawaii.

No, the geographic center has nothing to do with population. The geographic center is based on geography, hence the name. I'm not certain exactly how they determine this, but at a guess I'd say they connect the NE-most point to the SW-most point and the NW-most point to the SE-most point, and where they cross is where the geographic center is. Without the Alaska and Hawaii it's in northern Kansas.

What you're calling the geographic mean is what the map legend call the Median Center of Population. What you're calling the geographic center is what the map legend calls the Mean Center of Population (I think. I'm not entirely certain what you're saying there, actually).

Edit:

Phlegmish posted:

If you look up any major European city on Wikipedia and then click disambiguation, you'll usually find a whole list of American towns.

Yes, I have done this. No one can tell me I don't belong in the map nerd thread.

Middle Eastern cities, too. I counted once, and while I forget the exact number almost three quarters of the states had a Lebanon in there somewhere. And yes, I know that's a country, not a city, but it illustrates my point.

Golden_Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 14, 2013