Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

Well yes but you're also assuming that Clowney is going to be there to take at #5. If he's there you take him, but that's not what bhsman said (at first). He was debating the merits of taking a right tackle top 5.

If Clowney is gone, that means someone skipped out on taking a quarterback or some rising prospect, which I would still look out before considering RT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

bewbies posted:

We're talking about the same guy who has yet to throw an interception in almost 300 attempts and is averaging 8 yards per carry right?

Also I'm starting to become a convert to the position that there isn't much differentiation between LT and RT anymore. It seems like NFL teams line their best pass rusher up against the weakest OT more often now than they do against the blind side.

I've seen every snap of his college career, many of his completions are easy throws to wide open receivers. He has awful accuracy, poor footwork, bad pocket presence, and fumbles a lot. Not a very strong arm either. Defenses have figured out how to deal with the read option so the bloom is off the rose a bit.

The offense is set up for him to make predictable throws, which explains the lack of INTs, and he can scramble sure. He has a lot of developing to do. Good kid by all accounts and I wish him the best.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

vaginal culture posted:

Not a very strong arm either.

Ok, so we're definitely not talking about the same player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhIO6uhM9Wc&t=137s. See 2:10 and 4:50 for examples of the guy I'm talking about who by any reasonable measure has an NFL caliber arm.

edit - actually the first was at 2:10

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 13, 2013

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Mariota has a loving canon

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Mariota has a loving canon

Not even close. Its pretty weak, even when he can step into it and throw deep he has average velocity.

One thing he excels at is making progressions, I could see him doing well on a team that could keep him protected, but I don't see him going to a situation like that as a rookie.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The hell are you talking about? Mariota is like a Kaepernik clone. poo poo, in a year Mariota's arm might be stronger than Cutler's.

I agree with bhsman about their being too much RT talent to jump on a tackle early if we're talking about any prospect other than Jake Matthews. He really seems to have the potential to be the best LT in the league three seasons from now.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The hell are you talking about? Mariota is like a Kaepernik clone. poo poo, in a year Mariota's arm might be stronger than Cutler's.

I want to see a throw-off between Cutler and Jamarcus

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm pretty confident that Jamarcus can still throw a cheeseburger into orbit, not that he ever would.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm pretty confident that Jamarcus can still throw a cheeseburger into orbit, not that he ever would.

Wouldn't be the first thing Johnnie Lee Higgins couldn't catch in space.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm really confused when people profile a quarterback as a "good backup."

Honestly, what does that mean? I always saw backups as rookies, has-beens, or an interesting mix of raw tools, CFL vets, former first rounders, etc.

Isn't calling someone a good backup quarterback prospect calling them a bad prospect?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

bhsman posted:

Won't disagree, but I just don't see the point in taking Matthews at #5 if Clowney is available.

Clowney's not going to be available for Houston.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Isn't calling someone a good backup quarterback prospect calling them a bad prospect?

I've usually read that as fair to ok prospect, but doesn't have the physical tools you'd like to build an offense around.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheChirurgeon posted:

Clowney's not going to be available for Houston.

Oh, odds are low, but part of it depends on whether Tampa gets a new coach/GM who wants "their guy" at QB and we see a start (assuming Houston stays at #5) along the lines of:

-Bridgewater to Jacksonville
-Mariota to Tampa Bay
-Matthews to Atlanta
-Hundley to Minnesota
-Clowney to Houston

Well then, everyone in the clown car. :bandwagon:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

bhsman posted:

Oh, odds are low, but part of it depends on whether Tampa gets a new coach/GM who wants "their guy" at QB and we see a start (assuming Houston stays at #5) along the lines of:

-Mariota to Tampa Bay
-Matthews to Atlanta
-Hundley to Minnesota
-Clowney to Houston

A trade out of the top 5 seems more likely at that point though (i.e. a team trading in for Clowney).

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Volkerball posted:

Wouldn't be the first thing Johnnie Lee Higgins couldn't catch in space.

I love this loving forum and everyone in it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Updated non-playoff draft order with full-season SoS. Giants plummet to #10.

code:
Team			Win%	SoS
1. Jacksonville Jaguars	0.111	0.537
2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers	0.111	0.568
3. Atlanta Falcons	0.222	0.537
4. Minnesota Vikings	0.222	0.541
5. Houston Texans	0.222	0.555
6. Buffalo Bills	0.300	0.517
7. Pittsburgh Steelers	0.333	0.490
8. Washington Redskins	0.333	0.514
9. Oakland Raiders	0.333	0.541
10. New York Giants	0.333	0.557
11. St. Louis Rams	0.400	0.537
12. Baltimore Ravens	0.444	0.497
13. Cleveland Browns	0.444	0.497
14. Miami Dolphins	0.444	0.497
15. Tennessee Titans	0.444	0.507
16. San Diego Chargers	0.444	0.537
17. Philadelphia Eagles	0.500	0.479
18. Green Bay Packers	0.556	0.456
19. Chicago Bears	0.556	0.473
20. Arizona Cardinals	0.556	0.523

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Is. Matthews that much better of a prospect than Joeckel or Fisher besides name?

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

bhsman posted:

-Mariota to Tampa Bay
-Matthews to Atlanta
-Hundley to Minnesota
-Clowney to Houston

Would Atlanta really pass on Clowney, assuming that's where they stay in the draft order? I can see Minnesota passing, because QB is a bigger need (I think they'd take Manziel before Hundley -- or, as a fan, at least I hope they would, because Hundley has never impressed me like Manziel has).

This is really premature anyway, since I'm guessing Atlanta that will probably win some more games, while Houston and Tampa are still looking really bad. Plus, some team with a huge need for a guy like Clowney would probably offer some obscene picks to trade up to get him, which obviously screws with the order some more.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

b0ng posted:

Is. Matthews that much better of a prospect than Joeckel or Fisher besides name?

He's seen as an elite prospect that has a good chance to be better than Joeckel. He's got great anticipation and technique but lacks ideal arm length and there are some questions about whether he has the quickness to be a LT at the NFL level, though he gets off the line well. He's a very smart player that's been tested against SEC defenses.

FO did a good write-up on him:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2013/futures-texas-am-ot-jake-matthews

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Doctor Candiru posted:

Would Atlanta really pass on Clowney, assuming that's where they stay in the draft order? I can see Minnesota passing, because QB is a bigger need (I think they'd take Manziel before Hundley -- or, as a fan, at least I hope they would, because Hundley has never impressed me like Manziel has).

This is really premature anyway, since I'm guessing Atlanta that will probably win some more games, while Houston and Tampa are still looking really bad. Plus, some team with a huge need for a guy like Clowney would probably offer some obscene picks to trade up to get him, which obviously screws with the order some more.

Yeah I doubt the Falcons pass on Clowney for Matthews. DE is just as big a need as OT, and I'd rather take Clowney + 2nd rd OT prospect than Matthews + 2nd rd DE prospect.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doctor Candiru posted:

I had Minnesota taking Hundley because I want Houston to get Manziel instead. :downs:

And yeah, Atlanta could just as easily take Clowney. The above was just an example of them prioritizing OT to protect Ryan and going with DE later.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's basically all but confirmed that Hundley is staying at UCLA. Adjust your big boards accordingly.

I wouldn't take him that high anyway. He needs another year of polish.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
You're not drafting top five Houston. Jesus, take a breath and look at your drat schedule. Atlanta is a touch more likely but they'll likely grab another 2 wins as well.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Relentlessboredomm posted:

You're not drafting top five Houston. Jesus, take a breath and look at your drat schedule. Atlanta is a touch more likely but they'll likely grab another 2 wins as well.

I'm not assuming they'll stay at 2 wins and drop lower than Jacksonville or Tampa, just making an assumption based on where and they and the chance that they'll stay around that.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

poo poo, in a year Mariota's arm might be stronger than Cutler's.

Cutler has one of the strongest arms the league has ever seen. I mean it could get stronger but not THAT much stronger.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Benne posted:

It's basically all but confirmed that Hundley is staying at UCLA. Adjust your big boards accordingly.
That's the right call. He's still got work to do.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Raiders W
Jaguars W
Patriots L
@ Jags L?
@ Colts L
Broncos L
@ Titans W?

I still feel like we have a shamefully decent shot at dropping one of the Jags games unless we have some kind of epiphany when it comes to what is supposed to happen in the second half. I can also see us lose our last 5 in a row if God really hates us.

So worst case 4-12, best around 6-10? Yeah I guess that boots us from top 5. Like I said elsewhere, I'm just going to kick back and pretend it's 2005.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Even with Locker out for the year, I'm not feeling particularly confident about that Titans game to close out the season. This is especially true if the team continues to struggle offensively in the second half.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's the right call. He's still got work to do.

Hundley Winston qb class is gonna own.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

True freshman but Myles Jack impressed the hell out of me on defense, much more than Barr. Turns out he can run the ball too. Dude is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTHPtoeF494

UCLA could be scary next year

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

commy gun posted:

Cutler has one of the strongest arms the league has ever seen. I mean it could get stronger but not THAT much stronger.

I'm factoring in a bit of a drop off from Cutler due to age, wear, and Chicago O-lines.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 14, 2013

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Wanted to share a nice resource for the amateur scout. http://draftbreakdown.com/ Essentially they collect all the relevant youtube film on a player so you don't have to.

Also, in case anyone missed it being posted over the off season, http://www.first-pick.com/ . A fun little draft game that's easy to sign up for. Their player grades are questionable and the trades are outright ridiculous but its still pretty fun.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm curious about what Lions fans are looking at for the draft at this point. In my (still young) experience, I would think priorities would go LBs/Secondary, OLine (we're doing well this year but traditionally this has been...poor), WR depth, RB, DLine. About accurate?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I would think linebacker and especially secondary would be priorities for the Lions in the draft, they've got plenty of talent in the front four and their OL is actually very solid this year. WR depth could be shored up but honestly with Calvin Johnson constantly drawing triple coverage and still hauling 100 yards if not more per game, you don't need a whole lot of talent to get catches around the edges there.

Bush was a great pickup for them, having a dude who can catch out of the backfield when Megatron's drawing all the DBs is huge for their offense.

The Lions can really afford to go BPA as much as nearly any team in this offseason, they're not absolutely stacked or anything but there are very few obviously subpar units for them to address.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I know this wide receiver class is considered pretty top heavy, but who would be the most consistent hands wise outside of the top guys. Carolina really needs someone with consistency and I'm curious who's got the best hands.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Is Kevin Norwood considered top draft? He's always overlooked for some reason but he's the most consistent wide receiver you could ask for. Especially in big games.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

BlindSite posted:

I know this wide receiver class is considered pretty top heavy, but who would be the most consistent hands wise outside of the top guys. Carolina really needs someone with consistency and I'm curious who's got the best hands.

Proooobably Marquise Lee? I haven't watched a ton of college this year but it's my impression that there's not really a Deandre Hopkins-level hands of steel guy this year. This WR class seems to be all about jump ball guys with ridiculous catch ranges instead.

But Carolina won't be in range to draft Lee unless they lose out, pretty much.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

BlindSite posted:

Mike Evans seems to make a ton of circus catches with Manziel throwing to him, though Marquise Lee should be a safe bet as well.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

bhsman posted:

Mike Evans seems to make a ton of circus catches with Manziel throwing to him, though Marquise Lee should be a safe bet as well.

I may be off a bit, but watching TAMU, it seems that Evans does make a few good catches, but most of his yards come from catching the ball in space and then having the opposing team miss 14 tackles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

swickles posted:

I may be off a bit, but watching TAMU, it seems that Evans does make a few good catches, but most of his yards come from catching the ball in space and then having the opposing team miss 14 tackles.

He does that, though it helps that he's gigantic and knows how to use it.

• Locked thread