Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Because if there's one thing sports fans want, it's a console with no sports games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I like how the commercial doesn't show a console at all under the tv or anything, really hammers home how they are selling a tablet upgrade for wii.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Because if there's one thing sports fans want, it's a console with no sports games.

People who watch sports also occasionally have family or friends that they want to play games with, not just Madden 24/7. We went over this. Even then, Madden's skipping the Wii-U now for a reason.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Quest For Glory II posted:

Fire that ad agency hahaha

A year past launch and they still don't understand people think the gamepad is an accessory.

They're still using Leo Burnett for advertising. They've been using them for 21 years, so I doubt Nintendo will change anytime soon, given they seem to refuse to change anything ever.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Spiffo posted:

Even then, Madden's skipping the Wii-U now for a reason.

FIFA14 isn't on it either.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

I like how the commercial doesn't show a console at all under the tv or anything, really hammers home how they are selling a tablet upgrade for wii.

They're in a bit of a bind here. The tablet is the only thing interesting about the console, which is otherwise an overpriced 7th gen machine with a bad game selection. So they have to focus on it to interest people who want interface novelties or less competition for the TV or what have you. But then that takes attention away from the console itself.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

Spiffo posted:

We went over this. Even then, Madden's skipping the Wii-U now for a reason.

Thats too bad. The WiiU controller seems like the perfect match for a Madden game or even a Football Manager type game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

How many more of these would they have sold if they just called it the Wii2 instead? I know it's not very nintendo but I really think it is a big problem and they don't Get It.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

As expected the Wii U has plummeted in sales after its dead cat bounce last week in japan. It sold 1/3 of what it did last week. It will probably drop to bellow ps3 levels next week.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

How many more of these would they have sold if they just called it the Wii2 instead? I know it's not very nintendo but I really think it is a big problem and they don't Get It.

It surely would've helped, though the Wii U's biggest problem is undoubtedly that lovely, horrible, holy gently caress what were they thinking gamepad.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey posted:

If they wanted to keep the bizarre sound, how about Wii-New or even Wii-Nu? That gets the New word in there and still maintains the bizarre cadence of Wii-U. Hell, if they went with Wii-nU they could keep the U logo.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Patter Song posted:

If they wanted to keep the bizarre sound, how about Wii-New or even Wii-Nu? That gets the New word in there and still maintains the bizarre cadence of Wii-U. Hell, if they went with Wii-nU they could keep the U logo.

All those names are equally as bad, and you should feel bad.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It should've been called the Ultra Nintendo.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

As expected the Wii U has plummeted in sales after its dead cat bounce last week in japan. It sold 1/3 of what it did last week. It will probably drop to bellow ps3 levels next week.

Media Create posted:

Hardware Sales (followed by last weeks sales)

3DS LL 53,190 (58,627)
3DS 28,627 (29,749)
PlayStation Vita 21,764 (27,618)
Wii U 17,737 (38,802)
PlayStation 3 11,867 (11,148)
PSP 4,010 (3,680)

Another 16k for Wii Party U, nothing else in the top 20. BF4 sold 120k copies on the PS3, hit #1 over Pokemons.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What about the Nintendo Revolution? :downsrim:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They should've called it the PlayStation 4.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spiffo posted:

People who watch sports also occasionally have family or friends that they want to play games with, not just Madden 24/7.
I think it's fair to say that the majority of people who watch sports have family, friends and children.

Advertising only to kids and not to parents is not working for Nintendo. The parents don't know the difference between Wiis. They just know their kid wants a thing for Wii. So they'll buy the original Wii. Or the Wii Mini. They literally don't know. That's why you advertise to them and let them know what the gently caress it is. A kid isn't likely to know the difference either. So you've created a telephone game between two unreliable narrators.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What about the Nintendo Revolution? :downsrim:

I still think the Nintendo Revolution is a loving fantastic name for a console and hope that they use it one day, but on a good one.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Universe Master posted:

I still think the Nintendo Revolution is a loving fantastic name for a console and hope that they use it one day, but on a good one.

Just call the next handheld that. In fact I really wonder if they'll ditch the second screen for their next handheld so it could have a video out and be played properly on a TV.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

WendigoJohnson posted:

Just call the next handheld that. In fact I really wonder if they'll ditch the second screen for their next handheld so it could have a video out and be played properly on a TV.

A handheld where you could play via direct wifi to an HDMI dongle would be p. cool.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WendigoJohnson posted:

Maybe it'll have two video out, so that it connects to two TV's at the same time?

That would be pretty revolutionary.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nintendo's next console will be about 20% faster than the PS4, and ship with a virtual reality headset ala oculus rift. It will be released about two years after there is a fad and everyone buys VR headsets.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Peel posted:

They're in a bit of a bind here. The tablet is the only thing interesting about the console

Maybe to people who like it. In general, the tablet hasn't had any positive effect for the system's appeal. As a whole, the Wii U is just uninteresting to the market it was targeted for (remember all of Nintendo's talk about how they were coming back for the "core" gamer), and the market that they exploited for the Wii has moved on or is content with what they already have. I'm honestly a lot more interested for more games from Nintendo that aren't New Super Mario Whatever or HD remakes, than I am for any special hardware gimmicks their console has to offer.

It's rather telling to me that the most uniquely integrated experience the GamePad has is something from UBISOFT (ZombiU) as opposed to Nintendo setting the trend here right off the bat.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Edmund Honda posted:

FIFA14 isn't on it either.

And yet its on the PS2. :psyduck:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Shibawanko posted:

It should've been called the Ultra Nintendo.

There was almost one of those 17 years ago.

Wikipedia posted:

The Nintendo 64, often referred to as N64 (formerly known as the Nintendo Ultra 64, and codenamed Project Reality) is Nintendo's third home video game console for the international market.

:v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WendigoJohnson posted:

You know good and well they'll call it the Nintendo 1DS even if it has no second screen :colbert:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

mayodreams posted:

There was almost one of those 17 years ago.

:v:

I remember the change from Ultra being very late. Like people were accustomed to calling it that and then it was changed last second.

Of course last second pre-mainstream internet was a lot longer than it is these days.

I also remember being very disappointed they didn't use cds. Never bought it or any other Nintendo product since.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

leidend posted:

I remember the change from Ultra being very late. Like people were accustomed to calling it that and then it was changed last second.

Yeah, I think I have an issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly where nearly-finished games were previewing with the "Ultra 64" logo.

Does anybody know what year the N64 bundle with the Atomic Purple controller came out?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Max22 posted:

Yeah, I think I have an issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly where nearly-finished games were previewing with the "Ultra 64" logo.

Does anybody know what year the N64 bundle with the Atomic Purple controller came out?

I think around 1998?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

leidend posted:

That name even made it into the intro announcement for the Killer Instinct 1 coin-op, which lied to us about several things :saddowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=994BRZGKrOM&t=16s

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zack_Gochuck posted:

That's pretty much what I'm saying. Do you think a parent will look at Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World and know the difference? The people working at Wal-Mart sure don't.

Do you think a parent will look at SMB 3 and Super Mario World and know the difference? And yet the SNES still sold well.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cliff Racer posted:

Do you think a parent will look at SMB 3 and Super Mario World and know the difference? And yet the SNES still sold well.

The SNES was not working against literally decades of modern-day Nintendo marketing and spite from third parties. People really need to stop trying to compare the Wii U to any other console Nintendo has released, and that includes the Gamecube (since that actually had some utterly fantastic third party support by comparison).

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
some of the delusional people on the youtube page for that video are hilarious.

Grown adult fanboys make the best laughs.

fanboy posted:

You know what I don't understand?....How people can say THIS with a straight face: "Nintendo has done nothing, this ENTIRE year, to push or to advertise the Wii U."....How can they say that without the slightest "chuckle", under their breath?...."Nintendo has done NOTHING to advertise the Wii U"...that....is.....a....blatant....LIE. Why are people PRETENDING that Sony and Microsoft...WONT have to play "catch-up" this time around?

another deranged fanboy posted:

The system has been out for almost a full YEAR...and people still don't know about??....Sure...keep blaming Nintendo because the consumers refuse to educate themselves...
:allears:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Honestly I fear that it will end up being the Saturn that is the most apt comparison. Boneheaded localization decisions, abandoned by third parties, competing against superior hardware and almost missing the boat on the current "next big thing" entirely. All its missing is being hard to develop for and having the main franchise's next installment getting delayed for years and then cancelled.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

What did the next big thing in consoles end up being? I know it isn't a controller that's also a screen but it's not a camera on the console surely.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Cliff Racer posted:

Honestly I fear that it will end up being the Saturn that is the most apt comparison. Boneheaded localization decisions, abandoned by third parties, competing against superior hardware and almost missing the boat on the current "next big thing" entirely. All its missing is being hard to develop for and having the main franchise's next installment getting delayed for years and then cancelled.

But the Saturn was huge in Japan, while the WiiU is struggling in its home market.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Boiled Water posted:

What did the next big thing in consoles end up being? I know it isn't a controller that's also a screen but it's not a camera on the console surely.

Internet stuff. They have a version of it, just like Saturn managed to do 3D but it really isn't comparable to Live/PSN.

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

The share button:

Share your video games on facebook, twitter, and live streams.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I can't believe I forgot about Internet connectivity. I'm so used to being connected all the time that having a device that isn't is pure lunacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Wasper posted:

The share button:

Share your video games on facebook, twitter, and live streams.

For most people the share button will be sparsely used after you realize no one gives a poo poo about your cool gamer moves.

• Locked thread