Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
people succeeding without overcoming themselves or whatever is boring
e:shameful snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the headless horseman made lanterns out of the heads of some masons on this weeks sleepy hollow.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Shaggar posted:

the headless horseman made lanterns out of the heads of some masons on this weeks sleepy hollow.

lol I have a few eps of this to catch up on, but its all been fun so far.

latest ep of SHIELD was another small notch better than the last, whoever said it should be more spy and less superhero was on the right track.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
speaking of superhero who else has read Worm

i'm partway through it and it's pretty neat; sort of like chronicle meets kick-rear end meets dr. horrible

http://parahumans.wordpress.com/

Dr. Mint
Jul 4, 2013

i use vlc on my mac to play my animes and it works fine sorry if you're experience is otherwise.
just watched the worst episode of tos called And the Children Will Lead holy craaaap that was the longest 45 minutes of my life how could anyone look at that script and be like yeah that'll work

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
a lot of tos episodes were like that imo

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
your original series is a piece of poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Mint posted:

just watched the worst episode of tos called And the Children Will Lead holy craaaap that was the longest 45 minutes of my life how could anyone look at that script and be like yeah that'll work

wait until spock's brain

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i just read te first chapter of accelerando

is it supposed to be dumb as heck?

manfred is insufferable and theres been a weird sex scene already

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

kim stanley robinson's accelerando was better

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Carthag posted:

the first part of accelerando is basically what would happen if someone used breathless gizmodo speculative-tech articles as the sole basis for their neo-cyberpunk setting. it gets better i guess, i don't really know because i took a break halfway and haven't picked it up again.

it has interesting ideas though, like space imams.

look forward with quivering anticipation to a whole bunch more weird future sex.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Carthag posted:

Yes, its absurd and gets dumber as it goes on. Pretty amusingly silly though, esp when manfred becomes a flock of birds

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
isn't manfred one of the possible names from the kerbal name generator

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
prolly the best place toask this

kindle paperwhite

good?

is there better

thinking xmas

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

postin so i can click on my post history and cp my accelerando post

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol thrird post in the thread:

theflyingexecutive posted:

skip everything that looks like its going to become a sex scene and thank me later

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

im having fun reading my old possts

theflyingexecutive posted:

The puzzles were all cool and fun, but the whole time I was thinking "man, I'll need to remember this for the harder version of it later" and the harder version never came

thats what she said

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

angry_keebler posted:

i mean it's a staple of the genre but maybe one time there could be a genre movie about smart competent heroes versus difficult but clearly surrmountable challenges instead of glossy melodramatic morality plays

that movie was Apollo 13

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

a retrospective of me posting itt:

-firefly was ok, so was oblivion
-i slob on jack vance's knob like corn on the cob
-i give at least 3 distinct warnings to not read charlie stross' sex scenes
-i loving hate damon lindelof and wont let anyone forget it
-sting in dune is the man
-lol doctor who sucks

scifi rec list movies/tv/books:

canticle for liebowitz
fringe
utopia
blindsight
the pilot for lexx
black mirror
children of men
jack vance, esp eyes of the overworld/dying earth series
moon
M.O.O.N.
apollo 13
12 monkeys
primer
primer
primer

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

dont look up any plot summary for primer, just watch it blind

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

ok i'll do that. thanks.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol people were actually displeased by some mild religious/spiritual stuff in gravity

internet atheism ruins everything

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dr. Mint posted:

they were probably just really desperate for material to shoot. star trek was always scrambling to get scripts produced in time (there was one episode in first season where gene roddenberry was literally on site furiously writing material to be shot that day) and nobody wanted to get tied to a dying show, and gene roddenberry had already checked out and basically quit the show

And The Children Shall Lead was probably just "gently caress, we're out of time, we've gotta start working on this episode if we're gonna make our airdate"

it's been argued that spock's brain was gene coon (lee cronin was his pen name) basically flipping off gene roddenberry. rodedenberry didn't care for the more light-hearted tone that coon tended to take trek towards (roddenberry hated the tribbles episode), and also probably felt really insecure that coon was having a big impact on the show (i mean it was gene coon who invented the fuckin' klingons!), and they apparently fought over it before coon left as producer. roddenberry put out a bullshit memo saying "you know what guys kirk's a little too jokey. we need to run a tighter ship here and get our poo poo under control" right before coon left.

so it's been suggested that gene coon, knowing that star trek was desperate for scripts, and knowing that the producers were not going to turn down a script from a guy who could actually write the characters correctly, deliberately wrote the most goofball episode he could think of just to tweak off gene "star trek is serious business" roddenberry.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i remember reading a deal where nimoy? said that spock's brain was written as a protest to the network because season 3's budget was slashed so the network execs were gonna see it and be all drat i guess we're brainless spock we'd better pay more per episode they sure trolled us

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i watched primer blind based on teh coal pic on netflix n i liked it, it was coal

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

angry_keebler posted:

it just shows that hollywood can't have an intelligent character with their poo poo together doing the right thing at the right time

especially in scifi there always has to be some deus ex machina show up and save the day

i mean it's a staple of the genre but maybe one time there could be a genre movie about smart competent heroes versus difficult but clearly surrmountable challenges instead of glossy melodramatic morality plays

how to properly assemble a combat insertion team

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Smythe posted:

i watched primer blind based on teh coal pic on netflix n i liked it, it was coal

coal as in cool or coal as in what you're getting for christmas this year?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
:coal:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i started primer and i thought 'whoa i need to be sober for this' and i havent had a chance to wtch it since

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

axolotl farmer posted:

that movie was Apollo 13

not really a scifi or genre show but still a good example of people doing science and overcoming adversity

one of my very favorite movies is the dish with sam neill which is also btw mandatory viewing if you haven't seen it yet

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Stymie posted:

lol people were actually displeased by some mild religious/spiritual stuff in gravity

internet atheism ruins everything

there was religious stuff in it?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no. there was a lady contemplating whether she had anything worth living for and it turns out George Clooney is worth living for.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Gus Hobbleton posted:

there was religious stuff in it?

The Coptic icon in the Soyuz and the Budai in the Shenzhou are the most blatant examples.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
oh yeah poo poo i forgot about those

okay yeah i can go with that religion is all poison and nobody should ever be allowed to display religious imagry anywhere the creators of gravity should be executed for daring to bring their stupid sky wizards into serious business movies

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shaggar posted:

no. there was a lady contemplating whether she had anything worth living for and it turns out George Clooney is worth living for.

drat right he is

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
reminder that gravity got ok press but the biggest movie that nobody will shut up about in the past few months is about an emotionless teenage girl killing other teenagers but its ok because its to feed her state or something

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

aka the libertarian dream: an underaged violent girl fighting the big mean government

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the religious stuff in gravity was bad because it was terribly executed garbage shoehorned in to give the movie 'meaning'

they basically had a big awesome movie and were like 'hey well this movie needs to be deep or something' and threw in a bunch of religious poo poo and stupid imagery.

but if atheists are mad because religion is in it then lol

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

didnt we just decide that no, it wasnt religious imagery, it was oxygen-deprived-brain imagery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

didnt we just decide that no, it wasnt religious imagery, it was oxygen-deprived-brain imagery

it was obviously intended to be up to the viewers interpretation

like he told her a bunch of stuff that she probably didnt really know. she could have remembered it or it could have been a message from god

• Locked thread