Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
As far as the voice acting for the game goes, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuu_jPBy1j8&t=47s should give you a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Safari Disco Lion posted:

And on GOG that might as well be "this is the worst game in history".

fake edit: Holy poo poo, down to 70! Only five more hours to go!

They'd probably have kept it moving faster than a snail's pace if the sale had an "Up Next:" beside what's currently on sale.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
An awkward Jack Keane 2 stands by himself before a kickball field, waiting for 70 team captains to reluctantly pick him.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Heading off to a concert in a few minutes and was worried I was going to miss some sweet deals. Steady as she goes Captain Keane!

I'll laugh (cry) if I come back and it's only down to like 45 or something.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Good tweet from the GoG crew: https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/400835622191239168

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

@GOGcom posted:

We scheduled this tweet hours ago so we have no idea what our Insomnia Sale has now, but it's probably awesome

You're loving kidding me.

e:f;b

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 14, 2013

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I'm afraid if I ever meet a Jack Keene IRL I'll punch him now.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

@GOGcom posted:

We scheduled this tweet hours ago so we have no idea what our Insomnia Sale has now, but it's probably awesome
Thread title: GOG.com - Jack Keane 2 is probably awesome (66 copies left)

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Can't help but think this is some great PR. People will forever know the name Jack Keane, the killer of sales.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

Also, the third review:

All the recent reviews are like that:

quote:

Never before have I wanted to see a game succeed as much as Jack Keane 2. I adore point-and-click adventures, and boy do I fancy me some cleavage as well! This game has all that, AND MORE! EVERYONE should do the right thing and buy Jack Keane 2. Trust me, if I could buy it 63 times, I would! Because it's WORTH IT!

quote:

HOLY poo poo, WHAT A GAME!!! This is like the epitome of adventure games on computer, or anywhere! The story, the locations, the girls - man you gotta be a goof to not pick this game up! If you got the money, man does this game have the time! 10 outta 10 all the way, Can't wait for Keane 3!!

quote:

Putting all this insomnia sale bullshit aside, this game is actually really good and you should buy it
please
please just buy it I'm begging you!

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
If I had manual control over this I'd make the next deal another 50 copies of Jack Keane.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Xotl posted:

If I had manual control over this I'd make the next deal another 50 copies of Jack Keane.

Nothing but Jack Keane all the way down. I'm just happy it wasn't a larger number of copies than when it first went on sale, like some of the other games were. Not that it matters, this is pretty much the end of the sale.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Xotl posted:

They need to do a popular/high-rated game next, and then immediately do 20 or so free copies of Keane after that. So people will be watching the popular game count down, and once it switches, they'll see FREE, and without thinking, click! Then they realize what game they just got.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[[ Please wait, retrieving information... ]]Jack Keane for the bad rats.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Toadsniff posted:

Can't help but think this is some great PR. People will forever know the name Jack Keane, the killer of sales.
It could be worse; the next deal could be 500 copies of Master of Orion 3 at 20% off.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Okay, so screw Jack Keane. Inquisitor sounded neat, with its interrogation mechanics and such, to pick up cheap, but I've never heard of the game. Is it worth a play-through? Do the neat-sounding mechanics actually shine through, or is it just fluff/too small a part of the game to matter?

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
Inquisitor was kind of a tough pill to swallow. I really liked the setting, art, and even the music but the combat is a horrible, uninspiring slog. The writing isn't particularly bad, but there's far too much dialog to sift through so figuring stuff out can be kind of tiring. It has its charms, but I couldn't manage to get very far in it.

VVV Sup vocabulary buddy :v:

Sackmo fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 14, 2013

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Xotl posted:

Okay, so screw Jack Keane. Inquisitor sounded neat, with its interrogation mechanics and such, to pick up cheap, but I've never heard of the game. Is it worth a play-through? Do the neat-sounding mechanics actually shine through, or is it just fluff/too small a part of the game to matter?

The latter, and the combat is an incredibly boring, slow slog that there's far too much of. A few of us posted reviews earlier in the thread / the previous thread with the consensus of stay the gently caress away, I'll try to dig them up.

edit: I like that I got beaten with almost the same complaint. Also found my old post on it.

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

I bought Inquisitor when it came out and would like to offer my thoughts on it. In short, do not buy it.

Inquisitor is billed as being heavy on investigation, but this isn't really the case. For the most part, you're fighting typical monsters. Orcs, spiders, etc. This is reflected in most of the skills being combat oriented and little to nothing to do with investigation. Skills are also frequently rendered completely useless; as a priest, I got an identification spell, making the skill that identifies items completely useless and a waste of any points. Dialogue options that use skills can just be chosen over and over until you succeed. When you do investigate, the dialogue is very railroaded and you can't often make a mistake or accuse the wrong person or ask questions that seem just plain sensible to ask someone.

Quests aren't very well explained often, and I spent most of my time just wandering around (at a PAINFULLY slow rate) waiting for some obscure quest trigger to pop. Quests might have a task like "find person X" and no direction other than the zone they're in, leading to lots of aimless wandering. Furthermore, these quests often lead to the actual investigation bits, so you can't use your own deductions or guesses, you have to follow the path.

Combat, a majority of the game, is simply dreadful. Class balance is typical of a poorly-balanced RPG in that early game is absurdly difficult for the priest (magic user) but soon they become the only viable class. Some skills are either bad (a priest can trade stamina for mana, but why when stamina is needed to do ANYTHING, move, hit, cast, etc. and mana potions restore mana more efficienty?) or simply useless (the paladin can identify an enemy's spell resistances. He cannot cast spells to take advantage of this info). Spell failure rate is tuned so high a priest will spend most of combat failing over and over at any spell. By the time they have the skill to cast consistently, the next zone will have enemies tough enough that he'll go back to missing and missing and missing. Further, enemies have a ridiculous amount of health; it's not uncommon to spend minutes on a simple fight due to miss rates and enemy HP being so high. Boss battles are hilariously unbalanced; by the time I quit playing, I had gotten to a boss battle that, despite nothing in the area giving me a challenge in combat anymore, killed me so fast I couldn't get but 1 spell off, thanks to his stupid high health and summoning minions that swarmed my allies. Did I also mention magic has a large cooldown for each spell so you can't cast fast?

Potions become the entirety of the game's combat. You'll chug them before, during, and after a fight as they're the only reliable way to deal with the amount of damage you'll be taking unavoidably. Even simple fights become a matter of potion spamming, and from what I can tell reading the game's forums, this is how it's supposed to be, not a mistake on my part.

So, the premise of the game barely comes up, the difficulty comes from cheap design, and your character is always under tooled to suit the encounters the game throws at you.

The setting is cool and it's what tempted me. Don't be me, don't be fooled by the cool setting. It's just not a good game at all. I keep it installed in hopes of a balance mod or something, but those tend to trend towards making the game harder from my experience, and that's just what Inquisitor does not need. Plus it appears to not be supported anymore; the release was just the English translation and that's it.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 14, 2013

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

It is the far distant future. Earth had been swallowed by its sun, and the only artefacts that remain of its inhabitants are the various spacecraft it produced; spacecraft that now drift aimlessly into the cold, dark void of deep space. There is, however, a small colony of refugees that have managed to survive on a faraway moon. After years of research and experimentation, they finally manage to construct the first computer since the fall of Earth. They power it on, and using their crude internet browser, they access the one server that had managed to survive all this time. The lead scientist types in 'gog.com' into the address bar as the other colonists gather around the screen.

They are eventually greeted by this image.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Gog.com - No-one's keen on Keane.

It certainly feels like actual insomnia now.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Please change the thread title to Jack Keane 2 is out! How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Also, thanks for that review - it's appreciated. I waste too much time on the game if it doesn't hook me early on (especially considering how many other games I got today).

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 14, 2013

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Holy lol.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Actually...it's 56 now.

I hope the game gets flooded with great reviews to speed up the sale and from now on, naive users are going to buy it trusting the reviews.

EDIT: 55! Come on guys! I haven't bought anything yet and I want to waste my money on games I'll never play!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jack Keane's gonna put this one to bed it seems. I didn't end up buying anything, but I was pretty entertained today.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I'm surprised they haven't pulled it yet. They were making money hand over fist for hours then Keene goes up and the money just stops suddenly. Anyone with any decision-making ability there must not have insomnia because this is killing their numbers.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

radlum posted:

I hope the game gets flooded with great reviews to speed up the sale and from now on, naive users are going to buy it trusting the reviews.

They're at 42 reviews as of now. 41 of them were written today.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
I just sat a two hour exam, and got home now. Judging by the time stamps on your posts, Jack Keane 2 has been on sale for pretty much the whole time I was in my exam, and it's still on 53 left. I fully expected the sale to end while I was gone, but here we are. And here we will be, forever and ever amen.

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!

Xotl posted:

Please change the thread title to Jack Keane 2 is out! How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Please do this. There is no more perfect thread title right now.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
A perfect, immortal Jack Keane.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

So that was a little over two hours to get half of them sold? Ugh.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I fell asleep when Assassin's Creed was up and missed nothing during my nap. Thank you, Jack Keene!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kiavahr posted:

They're at 42 reviews as of now. 41 of them were written today.

Here are some of those reviews:

quote:

Once in a lifetime, there comes a game that changes not only the face of gaming, but the very soul of all who are blessed enough to experience it. Jake Keane 2: The Fire Within is precisely such a game. While Jack Keane 1: The First Jack Keane was met with lukewarm reception and little to no fanfare, Jack Keane 2 propels the series into legendary status, potentially revolutionizing the art of the interactive narrative with its gripping and emotionally-charged story.

There are few games that I will admit were able to make me cry, but Jack Keane 2 was indeed such a game, as it left me deeply touched and emotionally drained. Not only that but the perfect gameplay is every bit as fast and visceral as it is thoughtful and strategic. To play this game is to achieve nirvana.

I can not recommend this game highly enough. Play it and experience spiritual rebirth.

quote:

Jack Kanini: The Angry Fires is the greatest game any plane of existence has ever had the absolute pleasure to bear witness to. With a story crafted delicately from the collective hearts of all of humankind, and a few primates, there is absolutely no reason why you should not purchase exactly 57 copies of this beautiful game that has been handed to us on a golden platter by God himself.

quote:

I love this game! It is one of the best adventure games I've ever owned. I love how the main character say's awesome one liners and how the antagionist is a evil Sumo Wrestler dragon cyborg!

This game is filled with all sorts of emotions and they will make you feel like you're really there.
For the low low low low low price of 11.99 you can experience this epic masterpiece.

This is a must buy! 10000000/10

quote:

I should preface this by saying that I've been having a lot of trouble with my son. Recently, he's discovered the wide world of the internet as well as computer gaming, and he hasn't been listening to his mother or myself at all.

Jack Keane, your Fire Within has cleansed my son of all desire to turn on a computer from this day forth! He cleaned his room, did the dishes, and wept as he said his prayers. When I asked what brought about the change, he screamed through the raining tears, "JACK KEANE! JACK KEANE!"
Bless you, Jack Keane...

quote:

Where were you when Jack Something Something 2 killed the Insomnia sale?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

:master:

Best use of Zardoz I've seen in some time.

Theme Hospital and Master of Magic are mine! I will probably never play them! YAY SALES!

radlum
May 13, 2013
There's a review that uses the n-word; this games is bringing the worst out of people; I hope GOG and the developers are happy!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
There have been more posts in this thread since Jack Keane cycled in than copies of Jack Keane sold.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Did any of the Wizardy games go on sale? Those where what I was itching to pick up, though that might be moot if Jack Kean kills the sale.

Someone have mercy and buy 50 copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Watch this be the last game in the sale, and the very last person to buy a copy wins something like all of the games on the site.