Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have it preloaded on Steam as we speak :smithicide:

Ditto. Really hoping this doesn't disappoint. I usually don't buy into games like this ahead of launch, but the reporting from RPS has gotten me too excited about it to resist. Haven't seen this mentioned, but this demo report might give people some hope:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/14/hands-on-x-rebirth/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
The full soundtrack is up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVDjQsLRVvU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I clicked through it and didn't hear SPACE SPACE SPACE SPACE SPACE SPACE anywhere. Preorder canceled, again.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I was thinking about doing one of my annual X3 binges and remembered about Rebirth, and lo and behold it comes out in two freaking days! Pretty excited, although I'm in the "Expecting it to barely work at launch" camp. Still, the modding possibilities of having all these "life-size" stations that you'll be able to walk around in seems really neat.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have it preloaded on Steam as we speak :smithicide:

Same here. Another thing that I'm telling myself to justify it is that even if there are bugs, the basic aspect of just flying around must surely work because it's in the videos. If so, even if other stuff is broken, I'll get some good fun out of just exploring and swanning around the place, doing stuff that I'm not going to do once the real features work.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The RPS preview did make things sound a bit better than I had feared. I'm hoping like hell this game is amazing. Being cautiously optimistic though so I don't get burned.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
The manual is now available via the Steam store page. Not making the wait more bearable here though.

http://cdn4.steampowered.com/Manuals/2870/X_Rebirth_Manual_English.pdf

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Wise Learned Man posted:

The manual is now available via the Steam store page. Not making the wait more bearable here though.

http://cdn4.steampowered.com/Manuals/2870/X_Rebirth_Manual_English.pdf
This isn't helping!

How bad was X3:TC on release? I'm really tempted to pre-order this now but I'm also of a mind of waiting for the first slew of bug fixes to go first.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

This isn't helping!

How bad was X3:TC on release? I'm really tempted to pre-order this now but I'm also of a mind of waiting for the first slew of bug fixes to go first.

TC actually worked remarkably well considering it was basically just a huge pay-for patch to Reunion. That's not to say it was flawless, nor should you expect particularly good things from the Rebirth launch, but it worked well enough. Reunion was more or less unplayable.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 14, 2013

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Flipswitch posted:

This isn't helping!

New things compared to X3:Reunion were pretty broken, notably quests, including the plot ones, would send you to follow or talk to (null) and guidance pointed to your ship :)
Technical things got fixed, but balancing of missile barrage(actually carrying missiles on AI ships, defending vs missiles and terran M7 barrage missile being 10 times more powerful than commonwealth one) and boarding(steal any friendly ship with minimal reputation penalty, randomness) wasn't fixed until Albion Prelude.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Conversations as quick-time events.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Attention Horse posted:

Conversations as quick-time events.

I was about to post the same thing. It's kind of baffling to me, I mean is there anyone out there that wanted timing based mini games to chat with NPCs in these games? Though it seems like it's more about unlocking various bonuses rather than traditional RPG style dialogues.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Orv posted:

TC actually worked remarkably well considering it was basically just a huge pay-for patch to Reunion. That's not to say it was flawless, nor should you expect particularly good things from the Rebirth launch, but it worked well enough. Reunion was more or less unplayable.

Reunion was buggy as hell but come good around patch 1.4 5-6 months after release.

TC was a proper expansion, it had some script issues for a few missions but reunions bugs had been fixed long before it was released so it had a clean launch.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Read OP: This looks interesting. And it's already out!
Looked up gameplay: Yeah, could be fun, I'll get it on steam!

Wait, I'll just jump to the end of the thread and see what's going on. Oh. The sequel is out in two days.

Always I wait. And it could be a buggy mess.
:negative:

What to do? Should I get Albion Prelude now anyway?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Wingless posted:

Read OP: This looks interesting. And it's already out!
Looked up gameplay: Yeah, could be fun, I'll get it on steam!

Wait, I'll just jump to the end of the thread and see what's going on. Oh. The sequel is out in two days.

Always I wait. And it could be a buggy mess.
:negative:

What to do? Should I get Albion Prelude now anyway?

Not now no, because you'll just end up kicking yourself in a month when it goes down to £5 or whatever in the sale.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Not now no, because you'll just end up kicking yourself in a month when it goes down to £5 or whatever in the sale.
What this man said. It's a great game but it goes on sale all the time already. Once the sequel is out I imagine it'll show up dirt cheap during Xmas.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Archonex posted:

To be fair to the Skunk, it really just looks like someone took a Terran corvette and refit it a bit before leaving it to rot for a century. Terrans have the best ships anyways, so gently caress the haters. Star Trek inspired ships 24/7 yo. :colbert:

gently caress the skunk though. Well, not literally. :v: It's a pretty lame bit of art to attach to the main character's ship. But then again, the X series has a long and storied history of lame protaganist ships. See, the X-Perimental Ship as an example.

The first thing i'm going to do is see about modding in the art on that ship Fry piloted in that episode with the Nibblonians.

Hell yes! Scooty Puff Senior, Rage of the Heavens. As long as the combat is actually good, I plan on taking my anthro-skunk induced rage out on every npc ship I see.
EDIT:To be fair I actually really like the ship's design, it's just the nose art that I can't stand.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I remember when X3 came out, complete with one glowing 9/10 pre-release review that looked conspicuous when stacked against everything else giving it a 4 and the features listed in the game manual that weren't there on release.
The memory leaks were so bad that one workaround was to replace sector backdrops with a generic starfield.

Plus I remember being pretty unimpressed with comparing how X2's ships had chunks of debris when exploding, and X3 could only suffice with a crummy low res explosion that swapped out when something went boom.
Plus it was run off the back of the X2 engine so people were able to load back in functioning cockpit views with relative ease in the first few weeks of release.

It's almost a running joke that Egosoft releases a *just* functioning beta and then spends the next year collating feedback and mods before making mega patches that fix everything.

I'm predicting XR to be the usual rushed storyline with bad acting that does a better job leaving you confused to the nuances in gameplay mechanics and a small collection of assorted mid-level rewards that are best sold off to buy better equipment. Then a year later Egosoft relents and you end up able to pilot more than one ship (if it hasn't been modded in.)

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Will there be a Mumble up for this so we can talk about why we're complete idiots for buying this game before it's fixed?

Also, it would be fun to talk about what everyone else is doing as we learn the new game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Now Playing: Your Regularly Scheduled Launch Trailer.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Orv posted:

Now Playing: Your Regularly Scheduled Launch Trailer.

I was half expecting to see the same trailer that's been played for the past six months.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
A quick disappointment reminder for anyone who was going to stay up for a midnight release, it actually comes out at noon eastern tomorrow according to the Steam countdown.

Orv
May 4, 2011

dvorak posted:

A quick disappointment reminder for anyone who was going to stay up for a midnight release, it actually comes out at noon eastern tomorrow according to the Steam countdown.

There's some weird cross-talk about them throwing the switch at 12PM GMT which amounts to 7AM EST, but that hasn't been confirmed by the countdown or anything.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Looks like it's going to unlock just as Euros are leaving work on a Friday afternoon. That's kind of nice.

50 euro on Steam. Man, that's a lot to spend on an untested game. Rome 2 kicked my enthusiasm in the rear end. Despite having little to no patience I think I'm going to wait a while and see how rough it is after launch.

EDIT: Math fail. More like midday.

Wingless fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 14, 2013

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Wow so how about that manual. There's a lot of nice info in there, such as how different alert lights will go off inside the ship at different damage levels, and the different drones and scanner modes.

Including Law Enforcement mode. :clint:

It also reveals the kinds of drones you can use, and the kinds of people you can interact with on the stations. Definitely take a look.

dvorak fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 14, 2013

aquaticrabbit
Aug 2, 2004
Even with the 7th release of the X-series, Egosoft is still using ridiculously low resolution screenshots in their manuals. :allears:

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

aquaticrabbit posted:

Even with the 7th release of the X-series, Egosoft is still using ridiculously low resolution screenshots in their manuals. :allears:

Only thing that could be better is if it were all typed out in notepad.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

WebDog posted:

I'm predicting XR to be the usual rushed storyline with bad acting that does a better job leaving you confused to the nuances in gameplay mechanics and a small collection of assorted mid-level rewards that are best sold off to buy better equipment.

The co-pilot VA is going to drive me insane, it's pretty bad.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
As entertaining as that launch trailer was, they forgot to show any outside shots of the player ship. Oh yeah, I agree about the copilot's VA.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My expectations:

1. Very, very pretty spaceflight game that's fun to fly around and shoot stuff.
2. Horrible story, voice acting that will be physically painful, and absolutely no need to talk to people inside stations.
3. Buggy as hell.
4. Embossed furry logo that's impossible to remove.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

The manual basically says that in the years since the gates shut down, Plutarch profited as the evil corporation ruining everyone's lives for a buck. The remnants of the Argon military formed the Heart of Albion, a rebel alliance made up of the leftover hardware and personnel from before the gates shut down.

Even as someone who only really got interested in the plot stuff after finally playing a bunch of AP's this week, that seems like an alright setup. Especially considering we know that there are at least 3 other systems/sectors that gates open up to eventually. I kind of want to know how that all works out.

And yeah, the VO usually isn't super good in these games, but I find the story and fiction of the world to somehow remain somewhat compelling.

dvorak fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 14, 2013

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sold.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My expectations:

2. Horrible story, voice acting that will be physically painful, and absolutely no need to talk to people inside stations.
3. Buggy as hell.
4. Embossed furry logo that's impossible to remove.

As a beta player
1. Spaceflight is jaw droppingly pretty at times
2. Voice acting is better than previous games, but the character models are state of the art circa 2007 i.e. they look primitive
3. I've only had one crash in several hours of play, but character animation is frequently... odd
4. I haven't seen the logo once. Then again I never used external view.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

illectro posted:

As a beta player
2. Voice acting is better than previous games, but the character models are state of the art circa 2007 i.e. they look primitive
3. I've only had one crash in several hours of play, but character animation is frequently... odd

How is the interior exploration of space stations and capital ships? Is it as basic as we are all expecting?

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Hah that's sure an improvement that you only had one crash. I still have AP CTD every few hours.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

illectro posted:

As a beta player

Inside information!

Should I buy it now!? Speak more of bugs and levels of completeness.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
So it's only 4 different star systems at release, with various in-system sectors?

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

I said come in! posted:

How is the interior exploration of space stations and capital ships? Is it as basic as we are all expecting?

Pretty basic, the areas are nicely rendered, but it's a case of wandering about finding people to staff your ships or trade items and rummaging through everyone's lockers for loot, which strikes me as odd behaviour for someone who starts the campaign mode owning 2 starships.

Strigil
Oct 26, 2004

dvorak posted:

Hah that's sure an improvement that you only had one crash. I still have AP CTD every few hours.

I was having this issue also, turns out it was an issue with ffdshow video codec. Adding X3AP.exe and X3TC.exe to the exception list fixed it, I haven't had a crash in over 100 hours of gameplay now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I wonder if the fact that the first section of the manual jumps right into troubleshooting should tell me something.

The section on drones is interesting though. It looks like we have some options there.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 14, 2013

• Locked thread