Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I like Corso a ton because it just seems like he has nothing better to do than screw around and be snarky to Rebulic officials, just like my character. I'm playing as a guy, so it really feels like Corso is just my sidekick who's having a grand old time playing Han Solo/Firefly with me.

I played as a female smuggler who didn't romance Corso, and Corso felt like he was tagging along because he had unrequited feelings for my character. Risha felt like a much more natural sidekick and first mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Cythereal posted:

I played as a female smuggler who didn't romance Corso, and Corso felt like he was tagging along because he had unrequited feelings for my character. Risha felt like a much more natural sidekick and first mate.

I can see that. I like Risha a lot even though I won't get her until level 30ish and im 20.

Tokaii
Mar 8, 2004

Oldest Goon
July 29, 1942

Skoll posted:

Fortunately or unfortunately, I've noticed this before while levelling and it appears Heroics intentionally seem part of the levelling grind to get you gear and levels. It's not wise to skip them unless you supplement them in other ways.

My 55 commando and 52 sage have never done a Heroic, a Flashpoint, or a space mission and only a tiny bit of pvp but have never been behind level. But I have to make sure I do every last bit of every bonus sequence, even the ones that are kill 12 of these, now kill 20, now kill 40 etc.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Sooo girlfriend wants to start playing. Thing is she'd want to RP, and play on an RP server.

We'd both be playing largely around 7pm-7amish Pacific. Would Begeran or Ebon Hawk be better? Hell, which one has more people doing stuff/less creeps?

I assume we could also 2man all the content?

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 13, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rookersh posted:

Sooo girlfriend wants to start playing. Thing is she'd want to RP, and play on an RP server.

We'd both be playing largely around 7pm-7amish Pacific. Would Begeran or Ebon Hawk be better? Hell, which one has more people doing stuff/less creeps?

When you say "all" do you mean all normal leveling content or, do you you literally mean everything.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Dexo posted:

When you say "all" do you mean all normal leveling content or, do you you literally mean everything.

Heroics, maybe some dungeons if we overlevel them a bit first?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rookersh posted:

Heroics, maybe some dungeons if we overlevel them a bit first?

Everything except for endgame stuff - hard modes and operations. And Colicoid War Games, that pretty much needs 4 people.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone know of any quick, easy ways for Republic characters to get commendations? I'm not looking for XP (the character's a level 35 Knight), so suggest anything from Taris to Nar Shaadaa. Something like that one on Dromund Kaas where you have to kill that Mandalorian leader near the beginning- that was quick and easy, just take a short drive to an outpost, take a short speeder ride to the mission site (seriously, it's like a minute or so), then kill a few dudes. Bam, 3 commendations. Anyone have anything like that?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Tokaii posted:

My 55 commando and 52 sage have never done a Heroic, a Flashpoint, or a space mission and only a tiny bit of pvp but have never been behind level. But I have to make sure I do every last bit of every bonus sequence, even the ones that are kill 12 of these, now kill 20, now kill 40 etc.

And that is how you kept up. Supplmented Herocis, dungeons, etc with the bonus stuff.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up

ThreeSixXero posted:

that double experience period coming up on the 27th.

Wait what? What happens on 27th?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Rookersh posted:

If you guys don't mind playing on an RP-PVP server - as if there's really a difference in SWTOR - I'm still running an RP guild on Jung Ma. (Actually 3 guild spread across both factions, but who's counting?) Everybody's busy with real life poo poo these days so things are pretty quiet, but it's a very chill and decidedly non-creepy crew. You can scope us out at https://www.moe.enjin.com

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Merope posted:

Holidays

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Merope posted:

double exp, which applies to boosters. So 30% booster = 260% exp boost. It is the best.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

HundredBears posted:

It's been soloed at level 50. The person doing it was well-geared for the level, went to a lot of trouble to pull it off and was playing one of the better advanced classes for it, but that's a HM at level 50. A competent 55 with decent gear should be able to blow through the normal version pretty quickly, maybe having to suicide once or burn heroic moment on the first trash pack if they're not playing one of the better soloing classes.

Like I said, most people who play this game (even, gasp, goons!) aren't good enough to solo run False Emperor at level 55. I didn't say it was impossible; merely that casually suggesting it rather than spending 10 minutes having to ask in general in order to form a team is dumb, because most players aren't good at this/any MMO. I'm pretty competent at most content and I certainly wouldn't want to try it. Even if I pulled it off it would be annoying as hell poopsock behavior I'd probably never want to do again.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 14, 2013

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
You say that you can't fathom that people are saying it that can be soloed, I point out that something harder has been soloed by a drastically weaker character than the typical 55 today. Five levels and a gear upgrade make a huge difference. Normal False Emperor is going to take less time to solo than it did to run with a group back when it first came out. With a stealth class, it may even be faster to solo than it would be to run in a group today. Sure, some people are bad at MMOs or haven't taken the time to learn how to play their class well (which is completely understandable-it's a game, not a job), but many if not most goons with a 55 should be able to pull it off. Those that can't will find that out in the first fight of the flashpoint in a fraction of the amount of time that it usually takes to get a group together.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Can someone explain to me what the playstyle differences between the 2 PvE marauder trees are?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
What is it with goons and their utter refusal to run any content with pubbies? Like Ops sure that poo poo can be awful in group finder but story mode flashpoints? :psyduck: I've literally never grouped for a SM flashpoint and not been able to complete it with the group, even if we have to wait a few minutes for a replacement. I would figure pubbies on the US servers would be even better because you probably speak the same languages!

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I actually did solo the FE storymode a couple times at 50 for the (at the time) unique class-specific drops. If you wanted a moddable white imperial uniform you had to do either FE or Karagga's Palace, and the latter is way more time-consuming, random, and you'd have to roll against other people. The loot table has changed since then and there's no particular reason to do it now unless you enjoy that sort of thing or are really impatient about waiting on queues, but there's still some unique dialogue if you are soloing it.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
The problem with "The False Emperor" is that you have to run it in "Normal Mode" (as opposed to "Hard Mode") and because of that it doesnt show up in the "Group Finder" for any level 55 player.

That means you have to dive into the general chat where people usually discuss Obamacare, their penises, why they suck at certain aspects of the game and make up funny movie names with the word "Jawa" in it and then manually collect people for your Flashpoint group there.

After you have found out that some level 20 players feel quite entitled to run a level 50 Flashpoint, others are not yet decided or sure what role they are actually filling and you realize that your target audience is scattered over Voss, Corellia, Illum and Makeb you simply go into the Flaspoint alone and find out that a level 50 "Normal Mode" Flashpoint NPC is barely able to touch you and you let your companion clean the house while you watch a TV series or something.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

dogboy posted:

The problem with "The False Emperor" is that you have to run it in "Normal Mode" (as opposed to "Hard Mode") and because of that it doesnt show up in the "Group Finder" for any level 55 player.

That means you have to dive into the general chat where people usually discuss Obamacare, their penises, why they suck at certain aspects of the game and make up funny movie names with the word "Jawa" in it and then manually collect people for your Flashpoint group there.

After you have found out that some level 20 players feel quite entitled to run a level 50 Flashpoint, others are not yet decided or sure what role they are actually filling and you realize that your target audience is scattered over Voss, Corellia, Illum and Makeb you simply go into the Flaspoint alone and find out that a level 50 "Normal Mode" Flashpoint NPC is barely able to touch you and you let your companion clean the house while you watch a TV series or something.

That's it exactly...When I ran FE and pretty much solo'd it, I was helping out a guy who had been begging for a group for hours to run it with him and he couldn't find a group. I took pity and the two of us ran it together.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Dulfy's got up some new info from the latest cantina tour. The big news is that Galactic Starfighter will be on the public test server this weekend. I plan to patch up and check it out a bit.

They also announced a new flashpoint for February alongside the official GS start date, and that the Rakghoul and Chevin events are being retuned and will be returning "sooner rather than later".

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

If you guys don't mind playing on an RP-PVP server - as if there's really a difference in SWTOR - I'm still running an RP guild on Jung Ma. (Actually 3 guild spread across both factions, but who's counting?) Everybody's busy with real life poo poo these days so things are pretty quiet, but it's a very chill and decidedly non-creepy crew. You can scope us out at https://www.moe.enjin.com

Hey now, finally another goon on Jung Ma! I thought I was the only one. I've never RP'd in SWTOR, but I used to do text based RP to work on my writing ability and wanted to keep my options open.

Is it a fairly active scene? I never see anyone doing it when I'm roaming about - but I'm also very anti social with my leveling.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.
Hi.

GS NDA just dropped.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/11/14/hands-on-with-swtors-galactic-starfighter/

Enjoy.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Does this mean we're likely to get any proper in-game footage now or is that still on lockdown?

e: to answer my own question -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h17D2jMdUlI

kippa fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 14, 2013

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Hey, did this game ever gain an option to turn off the stretched FOV when riding a speeder? I understand that they wanted to increase the sense of speed (since everything is so excruciatingly slow), but it nauseated me when I played the game at launch.

I kinda want to check it out again because of Galactic Starfighter, but I need to know if that was ever addressed.

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

Quite a write up. Seems like they actually put some effort into the super secret space project. They got me back for at least the month the expansion comes out so I can try it.

So in deciding to come back...have there been any changes to Powertech? When I left they had reduced it to a useless shell of a class.

Cloudy McPouty fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 14, 2013

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

That's it exactly...When I ran FE and pretty much solo'd it, I was helping out a guy who had been begging for a group for hours to run it with him and he couldn't find a group. I took pity and the two of us ran it together.

Last time I ran fe hm the piece dropped. Its been a few months but ive seen the HK piece sm and hm.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Apparently you get experience for doing space missions? Seems like ground PVP, space PVP and dailies could give a decent alternate leveling path for people who just want to see class stories.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

What is it with goons and their utter refusal to run any content with pubbies? Like Ops sure that poo poo can be awful in group finder but story mode flashpoints? :psyduck: I've literally never grouped for a SM flashpoint and not been able to complete it with the group, even if we have to wait a few minutes for a replacement. I would figure pubbies on the US servers would be even better because you probably speak the same languages!

Yeah, even with bad groups I've never failed to complete flashpoints. Of course, it's like Chinese water torture, but I've yet to come across an FP that has stumped even the dumbest pubbie group.

Welp, guess I'll be giving Bioware my money for a few more months.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My levelling seems to be back on track now, just finished Tatooine halfway through level 27. I've been doing the bounty week stuff too, it's easy XP.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

I was lucky enough to be part of this test group! :woop: The Massively writeup gives a nice overview but I can add some things. Obviously this is all subject to change before launch:

--Launching GS is really simple. There's another tab on your minimap that you click to open the "hangar". From there you choose your crew and copilot, choose your ship, buy upgrades, and get into the queue.

--Ships: Everyone gets two ships to start off with but you can buy more with comms later. You can also upgrade the shield, engine, and weapons (for comms) and customize your paint job (for Cartel Coins). One neat feature is the ability to change which ship you want to use while in queue. Your choice of ship isn't locked until combat starts, so you can decide until literally the last second. Once the queue pops and you're in a group, you can see which ships your groupmates are using and coordinate your squad.

--As mentioned in the writeup, the companions you choose for each role can add certain bonuses (reloading time, accuracy, etc). In addition, certain companions can only fulfill certain roles, though anyone can be your copilot. Everyone gets the new GS companions, but you can also use any of your existing companions - I tested with my 55 Smuggler and 55 Agent so I had the full set available. And, even better, you can purchase the option to use any of the other companions from your faction. Want to bring Kaliyo, Skadge, and Khem to your Sith Warrior's ship and create some sort of psychotic Imperial Dream Team? Now you can! Can't remember if the purchase was through comms or Cartel Coins.

--Copilot: Only the copilot has any extra lines but they're all done well. I tried a couple of the new companions (pretty good), Kaliyo (still a psycho) and HK-51 (A+++ EXCELLENT WOULD CHOOSE AS COPILOT AGAIN)

--Controls: I haven't played much in the way of flying/spacefighting games so it took me a while to get used to the controls and not get dizzy when I realized I could move in 3 dimensions. Once I got past that it was a simple setup: all movement is through a combination of WASD and mouse click & drag. Like the existing space combat you have four hotkeys on a quickbar, and these will change depending on the shield, engine, and weapons you have on your ship. Firing is also the same: left mouse button for guns, right mouse button for missles.

--Gameplay: (DISCLAIMER: I am terrible at this. Bottom-of-the-leaderboard terrible.) Teams start from ships on opposing sides of the map, with 3 objectives in the middle. Objectives are labeled A, B, and C. Fire at the objective point to gain control of the objective. Hang around the objective and fire on enemy ships. Or try to capture/defend another objective. Or just try to kill people. Or fly around aimlessly. At some point the controlling team gets drones. Points scored that seem to roughly correlate with how many objectives you control and for how long. Enemy ships have labels showing how far away they are but that didn't stop me from trying to hit someone 10000m away or trying to fire through a solid object. And you can kamikaze into stuff.

--Scoring: At the end of each match you get the usual PVP leaderboard with stats and medal counts. Stats include hit percentage, kills, and deaths, and medals are awarded for kill counts and such.

--Commendations: Matches earn you "Ship" and "Fleet" comms; I was getting a rough ratio of 10:1 Ship:Fleet comms in each match. Generally, Ship comms allow you to upgrade your ship while Fleet comms allow you to buy new ships. You can convert Ship comms to Fleet comms... for Cartel Coins. :(

Overall I'm really impressed. I think it will bring back a decent amount of players and give others a reason to play more often. Personally I will stick with mostly ground-based stuff - I haven't even done the existing space combat in probably a year - but GS is definitely worth playing every now and then. I'll have to check out the PTS this weekend and see if there's anything new. And try to be less terrible.

tl;dr - I suck at playing this expansion but it's p. cool

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
:suspense:

OK, I really need to play this now.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Playing f2p and I'm almost done with Nar Shadaa, but the 20% xp reduction is causing me to fall behind. Having only an interest in the class stories, I've been mostly skipping the extra missions/heroics/flashpoints. This seems to be hampering my ability to keep up the pace.

I'm thinking of getting the one-month sub and leveling to 50, but assuming I want to play alts do I have any options with regards to helping my alts along when it goes back to f2p?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Playing f2p and I'm almost done with Nar Shadaa, but the 20% xp reduction is causing me to fall behind. Having only an interest in the class stories, I've been mostly skipping the extra missions/heroics/flashpoints. This seems to be hampering my ability to keep up the pace.

I'm thinking of getting the one-month sub and leveling to 50, but assuming I want to play alts do I have any options with regards to helping my alts along when it goes back to f2p?

Well, you could pick up a shitload of XP boosts on the cartel market. Also, how have you been skipping the extra stuff and managing to keep pace with the planets? Are you doing PvP?

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

Well, you could pick up a shitload of XP boosts on the cartel market. Also, how have you been skipping the extra stuff and managing to keep pace with the planets? Are you doing PvP?

I've only been doing the main and side quests as well as those mini-side quests (kill 20 dudes - kill 120 dudes - kill big dude). I think what's helped keep me on the line are the xp boost rewards that I occasionally get, but I'm not too sure.

Are the xp boosts from the cartel market cheap? Or can I buy them with credits? And are there ways to get cartel goods cheaper? I'm looking to get the pureblood unlock, but I've never seen it on the GTN and I'm worried I'm going to have to buy it.

Bloody Pancreas fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 14, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I've only been doing the main and side quests as well as those mini-side quests (kill 20 dudes - kill 120 dudes - kill big dude). I think what's helped keep me on the line are the xp boost rewards that I occasionally get, but I'm not too sure.

Are the xp boosts from the cartel market cheap? Or can I buy them with credits?

My advice would be to do at least some of the heroics. A lot of them will reward you with Planetary Comms, which you can use to get some solid level-appropriate gear that's better than the basic green or blue stuff.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

My advice would be to do at least some of the heroics. A lot of them will reward you with Planetary Comms, which you can use to get some solid level-appropriate gear that's better than the basic green or blue stuff.

That's the thing, I really don't want to sit there harping for help to do some group quest when I could be moving on doing other poo poo.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So you pick up the quest and go on doing other poo poo while you keep an eye on general chat for anyone else doing it. It's not like you have to park at the questgiver until your group is ready to go.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bloody Pancreas posted:

That's the thing, I really don't want to sit there harping for help to do some group quest when I could be moving on doing other poo poo.

Or do some heroic way below your level and breeze through, if you want the commendations- I run my BH through that early 'Kill the Mando leader' quest on Dromund Kaas every day or so.

On that note, anyone know of any quick Republic Heroics I can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Nipponophile posted:

So you pick up the quest and go on doing other poo poo while you keep an eye on general chat for anyone else doing it. It's not like you have to park at the questgiver until your group is ready to go.

This is what I do all the time and I have never missed a heroic on any planet, Republic or Imperial side. Just wait, quest around, and someone will come along asking /1 for LFG [HEROIC 4: Bullshit].

• Locked thread