Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Another thing I've noticed is that weapons seem to do less damage at the upper end of the stated range. So for example if a weapon says it does up to 6 damage, in the past I'd been able to one-shot enemies with 5 or 6 health pretty reliably. Now those guns seem to do 3 or 4 damage a lot more often, which means combat is a lot more difficult. I love these changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
loving Chilong can't even manage to turn into a roboid properly. Put a helmet on, fuckhead.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

nnnotime posted:

Implassic

I wanted to thank you for this. More control over difficulty selection means I can have more exciting pixel fights without stressing so much about whether the RNG god will give out engineer rewards early enough in the first month to be able to get those sats up. Thank you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wales Grey posted:

It's not an expansion or an upgrade for the 360, it's a totally 'new' game called "XCOM Commander's Edition" or something.

That's really stupid. Other games have pulled the same "you gotta buy a new disc because the expansion was too intense" crap but this is the first one I have seen that you actually lose access to what you have previously done in the game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alkydere posted:

Man, I love the EXALT "We have reserves" way of fighting. It's so easy to just mow through them because they have no tactical sense. They just go "we gotta get to the objective!" :byodood:

I understand the devs wanted to mix things up, but they should have made it so that some of the "there's more behind us" behavior is focused on killing dudes. The EXALT missions would be something other than hilariously easy if the EXALT soldiers did stuff like run out of cover to flank your soldiers.

Yeah, the Exalt AI is just outright broken. They don't know how to actually attack on the way of their objective, so they just literally sprint into rooms you control, not even going into cover.

Makes me think that whoever did the Civ V combat AI did the Exalt AI. :v: Why is Firaxis so bad at this?

And I know everyone really hates Thin Men overwatch drops on council missions, but in Exalt missions troops drop in but don't overwatch, and they become incredibly easy to eliminate as a result. They just don't pose any sort of threat whatsoever, they're a complete joke.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 14, 2013

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Coq au Nandos posted:

loving Chilong can't even manage to turn into a roboid properly. Put a helmet on, fuckhead.

Turning Zhang into a MEC is a waste, since it seems like he always (or almost always) turns out to be Gifted.

Give him the Gene Mod for +10 Aim after a miss, Bulletstorm, Rapid Reactions, all the +Aim medals you can, a Scope, and the Gene Mod for Combat Surge. Take a shot, Overwatch, get two reaction shots for 3 shots per turn. And if he kills something, everyone around him gets +will, +aim, and +crit chance.

Finally, it seems like they made an undocumented change to Combat Stims. You can use them as many times as you want during a mission, but the effects are different than they used to be. You get +will, +movement range, and incoming damage is reduced by 50%.

So, picture a guy snorting crack every two turns, laying waste to everything that moves, then sharing his crack with his squadmates. He was unkillable.

NESguerilla posted:

That's really stupid. Other games have pulled the same "you gotta buy a new disc because the expansion was too intense" crap but this is the first one I have seen that you actually lose access to what you have previously done in the game.

Saves aren't compatible on the PC, either. From the way all the new stuff is integrated into the game, I hadn't expected them to be.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

bobtheconqueror posted:

They actually said that on your first playthrough of the expansion, you'll encounter new maps more frequently until a few months in, and as you play the numbers average out to them all being just as likely.

Edit: I've gotten in a few months to the point that I've stabilized things out (Just killed Exalt), and I've started seeing the usual forest UFOs along with the new stuff.

You will also be getting some of the old maps with new starting locations, generally the complete opposite end of what the location was for FU.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

The only reason I didn't "lose" access to my previously unlocked EU Second Wave options in the PC version of EW is probably related to some sort of inflexibility on the part of the 360. Or it was a design oversight. Or both. I don't know, I don't have a 360. :shrug:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

quiggy stardust posted:

Just a heads-up, MEC soldiers can place transponders in Confounding Light but cannot operate the train. What the gently caress XCOM.

This is not true, I totally beat Confounding Light in three turns using a MEC.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I just got a really bizarre bug.

Disabled operation progeny. Never got a council mission, all the way into 3 months, which means thin men never showed up, which means my missions were trivial. I had 2 floaters and 2 chryssalids on the terror mission. Was literally getting mutons before thin men.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I haven't tried out invisibility grenades yet. Has anyone? I want to know how long they last; I already know from abusing mimetic skin that invisibility is rad as hell.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So that base defence mission, holy poo poo :stare: Some of my best soldiers were in the psilab and being gene modded when it hit, and my vets all had basic armour and weapons because they hadn't been on the last mission. Whelp.

2 sectoid commanders, 2 mechtoids, 2 floaters, two chryssalids, a heavy floater, several sectoids and a berserker later I got my poo poo kicked in by the remaining mutons and cyberdiscs. gently caress me. I was thinking about restarting my ironman run anyway though, this is as good an excuse as any :v:

Edit: Those reinforcements were a bit late, command!

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
The last 1% has taken 40 minutes and counting. Constant time-outs from Steam.
How does this bug still exist

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Speedball posted:

I haven't tried out invisibility grenades yet. Has anyone? I want to know how long they last; I already know from abusing mimetic skin that invisibility is rad as hell.

Until the start of the invisible soldiers' next turn, or until they make an offensive action. It works on MECs, but not on mimetic skin-modded soldiers.

I use it like a souped-up smoke grenade. Also, Heavies with Grenadier can take two, so it's a no-brainer choice for them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hey nnnotime, I'm pretty sure I failed to activate my Clormal game, even though the log I skimmed seemed to indicate success (I don't remember $150 labs being a thing in normal difficulty). Anyway I tried the patch again and got this:

quote:

[ERROR]>
The Patching Process was Aborted
[INFO]> ==========XCOMModHelper========
[INFO]> Attempting to Locate XCOM Install Directory
[INFO]> Using XCOM Installation Directory of [ f:\program files (x86)\steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown ]
[INFO]> Loading Configuration File [ .\XCOMModHelper\EWConfig.xml ]
[INFO]> Backing up [ f:\program files (x86)\steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe ] to [ f:\program files (x86)\steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\bXComEW.exe ]
[INFO]> Applying Patches to [ f:\program files (x86)\steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe ]
[ERROR]> An Error occured during processing:

[ERROR]> System.InvalidOperationException: The Sequence [ 25 00 64 00 00 00 00 00 49 00 6E 00 69 00 56 00 65 00 72 00 73 00 69 00 6F 00 6E 00 00 00 00 00 2E 00 2E 00 5C 00 2E 00 2E 00 5C 00 58 00 43 00 ] was not found
at XCOMModHelper.ExecutablePatcher.ApplyPatch(Byte[] pattern, Byte[] patchData) in d:\Workspace\xcom-mod-helper\XCOMModHelper\ExecutablePatcher.cs:line 54
at XCOMModHelper.XCOMModHelper.ApplyPatches() in d:\Workspace\xcom-mod-helper\XCOMModHelper\XCOMModHelper.cs:line 66
at XCOMModHelper.XCOMModHelper.Execute() in d:\Workspace\xcom-mod-helper\XCOMModHelper\XCOMModHelper.cs:line 42
at XCOMModHelper.Program.Main(String[] args) in d:\Workspace\xcom-mod-helper\XCOMModHelper\Program.cs:line 62
[ERROR]>
The Patching Process was Aborted
Did I mess up something on me end, or what?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Something I found out about MECs:

1. They have awful stat increases, equivalent to Heavies. However:

2. They retain the stats of the soldier when they're converted.

Also,

3. I believe they also get the MEC stat progression boosts from the level they end up as, which would explain why my super-early Heavy MEC has 77 aim instead of 75.

The second is important, because it means that the ideal minmaxed endgame MEC is basically "take a Colonel Sniper, turn them into a robot." You could easily get a MEC with the equivalent of nearly 120 base aim.

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
That's pretty much what I did, I can't remember what rank my Snipers were but they were below Major and at least Sergeant. The game kept vomiting snipers at me. As a result, and with the Sniper bonus aim when not moving, they've been incredibly strong.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Where do you get the kinetic strike upgrade? I'm pretty far in and haven't seen it yet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Guess who just discovered Seekers benefit from your smoke grenades. :stonk:

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Solarflare posted:

Where do you get the kinetic strike upgrade? I'm pretty far in and haven't seen it yet.

I think it comes from the Berserker autopsy but I can't be sure?

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho

poptart_fairy posted:

All enemies do in EW (not sure if they did before) - I had a muton berserker tear my squad apart on the cargo UFO because he just ran in to the smoke and everyone outside the smoke (four guys) couldn't hit him.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Not sure why this is a surprise, the ability is very clear that it effects all targets within the cloud.

Photosynaesthesias posted:

All enemies do in EW (not sure if they did before) - I had a muton berserker tear my squad apart on the cargo UFO because he just ran in to the smoke and everyone outside the smoke (four guys) couldn't hit him.

It was always like this.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

So I've skimmed the last few pages, would I be correct in taking from them that Enemy Within, all in all, doesn't have any serious bugs nor any serious balance problems (the kind that can be corrected in a patch anyway)?

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Is the phoenix cannon significantly better than the starting avalanche missiles? I just had a supply ship pop earlier than I was expecting and I couldn't shoot it down with my default interceptor. I don't have dodge / aim / etc because I've been selling everything that isn't nailed down in order to pay for upgrades and facilities.

For whatever reason, in EU on Classic I always had laser cannons before I saw these things (always post base assault) so I just never learned this.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NihilCredo posted:

So I've skimmed the last few pages, would I be correct in taking from them that Enemy Within, all in all, doesn't have any serious bugs nor any serious balance problems (the kind that can be corrected in a patch anyway)?

It seems a lot more stable than EU honestly. I've run almost two full playthroughs without any teleporting aliens.

And the new options are fun, but nothings really gamebreakingly powerful. They really scaled up the enemies capabilities, and your own.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

NihilCredo posted:

Just had a game lockup because an Exault member was killed running into overwatch shots but the game didn't recognise it and so the enemy turn wouldn't end. Had a slight problem with a Muton getting bound up in a column and so couldn't be targeted properly for a turn.

Aliens still teleport around (I've caught them doing it twice now, both times in the temple ship around the command centre) but so far I haven't had anyone teleport into my squad.

So yeah I've seen some bugs. Nothing worse than the base game though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

FallenGod posted:

Is the phoenix cannon significantly better than the starting avalanche missiles? I just had a supply ship pop earlier than I was expecting and I couldn't shoot it down with my default interceptor. I don't have dodge / aim / etc because I've been selling everything that isn't nailed down in order to pay for upgrades and facilities.

For whatever reason, in EU on Classic I always had laser cannons before I saw these things (always post base assault) so I just never learned this.

Laser cannons are the bets upgrade from missiles. They can shoot down basically anything short of a battleship.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hey does anyone know if Mimetic Skin stacks with Low Profile? Can you get the invisibility from half-cover if you've got Low Profile?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

FallenGod posted:

Yes, it's pretty good. I couldn't shoot down the first big ship either with two intercepters with avalanches and consumables. One intercepter with a phoenix cannon shot it down pretty easily.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jng2058 posted:

Hey does anyone know if Mimetic Skin stacks with Low Profile? Can you get the invisibility from half-cover if you've got Low Profile?

Yes, it does.

Its especially hilarious if you're using Skill Roulette and get it on something other than a Sniper.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
EXALT managed to repeatedly sabotage my research to the point where they set back my Carapace research for over a month. I had friends watching on stream and mocking me every time it happened. I had three majors and a colonel still wearing flak and using laser rifles at the end of month three. It was kind of cool living in terror as I had to field highly veteran soldiers wearing absolutely no armor against mid-late enemies like Mechtoids and Cyberdisks that could very easily kill anyone on my team instantly. I leaned on my MECs like a pair of crutches.

That said, I find EXALT kind of boring and tedious. They hit their threat-level peak really early and never go any higher, and their AI is suicidally dumb and easy to exploit. I guess that fits their MO of being untrained zealots but EXALT missions both provide lame rewards(a pittance of money and some skin-swapped weapons) and are annoyingly common so it would be nice if they were at least interesting to play.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Zore posted:

Yes, it does.

Its especially hilarious if you're using Skill Roulette and get it on something other than a Sniper.

Awesome. Because I've got a Low Profile Assault who's gonna use that combo and make the world scream! :clint:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Vengarr posted:

Finally, it seems like they made an undocumented change to Combat Stims. You can use them as many times as you want during a mission, but the effects are different than they used to be. You get +will, +movement range, and incoming damage is reduced by 50%.

So, picture a guy snorting crack every two turns, laying waste to everything that moves, then sharing his crack with his squadmates. He was unkillable.
Aww poo poo, looks like it's time to cook. :getin:

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

NihilCredo posted:

It's pretty stable.

I did have aforementioned lack of council missions, turning progeny back on seemed to fix it. I've also had the bug where aliens will walk in on their turn, activate, then immediately start shooting.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just got cheated out of Slingshot train's 'do this in six turns or less' achievement because the game wouldn't let anyone but my squad leader activate the controls. A squad leader who was only halfway up the train without any real mobility. :saddowns:

"...don't make eye contact don't make eye contact don't make eye contact..."

e; hahaha. Had someone heal herself really awkwardly - she stepped into a nearby tile, turned and then stepped straight back into the mist. EFFICIENCY.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 14, 2013

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

Floaters can pretty much show up any time starting in the second month.

And no way you should be 30 days away from lasers in the second month. Either beeline towards lasers, or get meld recombination then beeline towards lasers. Even in the latter case, you'll have lasers by the end of the second week of the second month.

As for thin men, they are always buttholes, critting you for eight or nine damage out of nowhere.

I'm guessing as I'm at work right now, I'm probably more like 17-27 days away from lasers about in the first or second week of the second month. I hosed up and thought I'd get the arc thrower out of the way first, but switched with about 8 days left so I could get lasers faster, plus I researched meld.
Everything else has been going pretty well, do you think it'll be worth restarting if I'm two or three weeks behind on laser research?

Tainted Ham fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 14, 2013

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Is the Slingshot DLC included within Enemy Within or do I have to buy that seperately?

hhhmmm posted:

You probably don't want to buy it if you have to pay extra

So, is that a yes?

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 14, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Quote is not edit.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

TehGherkin posted:

Is the Slingshot DLC included within Enemy Within or do I have to buy that seperately?

You probably don't want to buy it if you have to pay extra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Just got cheated out of Slingshot train's 'do this in six turns or less' achievement because the game wouldn't let anyone but my squad leader activate the controls. A squad leader who was only halfway up the train without any real mobility. :saddowns:

"...don't make eye contact don't make eye contact don't make eye contact..."

e; hahaha. Had someone heal herself really awkwardly - she stepped into a nearby tile, turned and then stepped straight back into the mist. EFFICIENCY.

Is there a cap on how many mechs you can have in a squad? Because I want to see what kind of clown car bullshit they'd have to pull with six of 'em packed in there.

• Locked thread