Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

Wouldn't businesses benefit from universal health care since they wouldn't have to spend so much on providing health insurance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Eponymouse posted:

Wouldn't businesses benefit from universal health care since they wouldn't have to spend so much on providing health insurance?

That and even health insurance companies would eventually benefit from being to dump off the risky patients on the public system while spending their time charging high premiums to "cover" optional stuff that they make hard to actually get covered/getting kickbacks from fancier private only medical facilities that exist to drain the wallets of the rich.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Holding a vise-grip on a person's actual physical wellbeing by being their healthcare provider and having a market which penalizes you enormously for a period of discontinued coverage means that doing insurance the Bad Old Way is another coercive influence that a business can hold on its employees.

For real: The actual sustained victory in the ACA is forbidding healthcare denial based on preexisting conditions. That is the part of the law which makes it more likely that a more complete, single-payer solution can be enacted down the line, because it changes where the monied influences stand.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Saw this on someone's desk while I was at work. Uuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 14, 2013

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Star Man posted:

Saw this on someone's desk while I was at work. Uuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh.

Uh, where do you work? I'm sure that violates some sort of workplace policy.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mitchicon posted:

I'm a lazy rear end Millenial college-drop out that works for a cleaning company. Where I clean is a little place called Lockheed Martin Space Systems Center.

Though you'll see cubicles in office suites here with all kinds of Republican poo poo all over and the one next to it with hippy dippy liberal paraphernalia. This kind of thing just stuck out.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mitchicon posted:

How would it violate workplace policy?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

If you had an accidental injury of some sort in the bathroom, the insurance wouldn't cover it because you were using unapproved equipment.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Star Man posted:

the image broke :(

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Miltank posted:

Fixed it. I made that post from my phone and sometimes I end up deleting things that I shouldn't.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Miltank posted:

Toilet paper with :obama: on it

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Obame Toilet Paper

Ten bucks a roll.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

HootTheOwl posted:

This would be more valid if the wars weren't over ten years long.
And if you look at the demographics of the military you'll see that millennials make up about 65% of the military. The troop surge was in 2007, assuming the demographics haven't changed since then, about 50% of that force was millennials. Lastly look at the break-down in the marines. it's a whopping 82% millennial!

Well there's the problem with the demographics not changing. The surge was four years before the statistics. That means even if they haven't changed, the birth years did. Somebody who was 23 in 2007 was still born at the end of Gen X (1965-1984).

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I know generations are pretty much arbitrarily defined, but I thought the cut-off for Gen X was 82? Whatever the case, Gen X bore the brunt of Iraq and Afghanistan. But hey, a growing window of Millennials got maimed and killed for nothing, too! :patriot:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think there's a standard. Different people that write papers on generations recognize different cut-offs.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Even if Gen Y begins at '84, by the time the surge started the majority of low-ranking enlisted personnel must have been Millennials, along with the youngest officers. Hear that, boomers? We can die in unnecessary wars of choice, too. :smug:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
The Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard uses 1965-1984 because it lines up with certain statistical age groups to make analysis easier, but yeah, it's kind of blurry in reality. And yeah, Millenials have definitely born some of the cost of these wars. The problem with them lasting ten years, like Hoot said.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
On the subject of Millenials, what is with the conservative obsession to demean and insult that generation? I keep remembering some right wing blogger who when writing a rant against something or other mocked Millenials for worrying about the government spying on their "awkward boudoir fumblings" as if previous generations had some refined sophisticated method of sexing each other.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pentyne posted:

On the subject of Millenials, what is with the conservative obsession to demean and insult that generation? I keep remembering some right wing blogger who when writing a rant against something or other mocked Millenials for worrying about the government spying on their "awkward boudoir fumblings" as if previous generations had some refined sophisticated method of sexing each other.

They're young. That's about it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

pentyne posted:

Basically the last few decades of economic nihilism is very, very badly screwing over the younger generation, so for the people who carried out that nihilism, it's very important to victim blame early and often.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Typical Pubbie posted:

I know generations are pretty much arbitrarily defined, but I thought the cut-off for Gen X was 82? Whatever the case, Gen X bore the brunt of Iraq and Afghanistan. But hey, a growing window of Millennials got maimed and killed for nothing, too! :patriot:

Shared sacrifice? :911:

Edit: The Right's hatred of Millenials is a combination of "whippersnappers" bigotry and an effort to define the younger generations as "our kids and grandkids" or "their kids and grandkids". While they have a general dislike for younger generations (even their own grandkids), they really REALLY hate young kids who aren't theirs.

This is why disowning is a popular fundamentalist punishment.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 14, 2013

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

pentyne posted:

That guy wasn't even an also-ran, in the words of Jane Fonda. He's just another asswipe trying to follow the Rush Limbaugh formula for success. They're like cockroaches.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Star Man posted:

I'm a lazy rear end Millenial college-drop out that works for a cleaning company. Where I clean is a little place called Lockheed Martin Space Systems Center.

Though you'll see cubicles in office suites here with all kinds of Republican poo poo all over and the one next to it with hippy dippy liberal paraphernalia. This kind of thing just stuck out.

So they poo poo on the guy who pays their bills?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Star Man posted:

Wipe your rear end with it when he is out then put it back on the desk. I guarantee he will not bring it in again.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Calico Heart posted:

Wipe your rear end with it when he is out then put it back on the desk. I guarantee he will not bring it in again.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 14, 2013

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

These things are also bad.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

pentyne posted:

Baby boomers shattered the economy and they're angry at the people who were 18 or so in 2008 that they haven't fixed it for them yet.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Make one of a really obscure president.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hr wants Obama inside of his rear end. That sounds gay.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Mitchicon posted:

Make one of a really obscure president.

Wipe your rear end with Rutherford B. Hayes or possibly James Garfield!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Walter posted:

Wipe your rear end with Rutherford B. Hayes or possibly James Garfield!

I would no-joke buy a roll if they had James Buchanan.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

pentyne posted:

It's just more of the same petty spite that they fling at any demographic who won't vote for them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Star Man posted:

Place I used to work had honest to God shooting targets. Not even making this up.

Jacksonville, Florida before anyone asks.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

pentyne posted:

On the subject of Millenials, what is with the conservative obsession to demean and insult that generation?

Old, stubborn, out of touch white guys complaining about these lazy kids and their music really isn't anything unexpected or out of character.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Place I used to work had honest to God shooting targets. Not even making this up.

Oh, Florida. :allears:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
There's some pretty serious crazy on crazy infighting going on right now between right-wing pseudo historian David Barton and the Southern Baptist Convention. This is pretty notable because both Barton and the SBC are beloved by evangelicals and tea partiers, this could be a serious blow to Barton in a way that being a fraud historian who's book was pulled was not. How did this happen? Barton was dumb enough to attack the troops, on Veteran's Day :doh:.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/barton-copeland-bible-says-soldiers-should-not-suffer-guilt-or-ptsd

quote:

On the Veteran's Day broadcast of the "Believer's Voice of Victory" program, Kenneth Copeland and David Barton cited a passage from the Book of Number to assert that soldiers should never suffer any guilt or PTSD after returning from battle because they are "esteemed and venerated" by God.

Reading from Numbers 32, Copeland said that soldiers are doing the work of God and, as such, "shall return and be guiltless before the Lord" meaning that they should never suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

"You listen to me," Copeland said, addressing the camera, "you get rid of that right now. You don't take drugs to get rid of it, it doesn't take psychology; that promise right there will get rid of it."

Barton wholeheartedly agreed, pointing out that many members of the "faith hall of fame" in the Bible "were warriors who took so many people out in battle," but did so in a just war in the name of God, proving that "when you do it God's way, not only are you guiltless for having done that, you're esteemed"

Here's the response from the SBC. Just gonna quote the whole thing because it's hilarious.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/southern-baptist-official-calls-david-bartons-propaganda-satanic

quote:

"Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own eyes." Proverbs gives us two approaches and expects us to use wisdom in knowing when they should be applied.

How then should we answer the fools Copeland and Barton? While it is tempting to ignore them completely, I believe that would be a mistake. Had they merely proffered another laughably inept reading of the Bible, it would have hardly been worthy of notice. Throughout his career, Copeland has been accused of various heresies, most of which he created through his inept handling of Scripture. And though Barton is still, inexplicably, trusted by many conservative evangelicals, he has himself built his reputation on twisting and misrepresenting historical documents for ideological and propagandist purposes. They are, in other words, among the last people who could be relied on to intelligently interpret a text.

Yet many people will erroneously believe that Copeland and Barton speak as experts on the Bible and that their interpretation is the natural result of a literal or inerrant view of Scripture.

To those who are unclear on that point, let me express what I believe is the shared opinion of Biblical scholars, intelligent laymen, and just about anyone else who has ever bothered to read the Bible: Copeland and Barton's application of Numbers 32:21-22 to modern veterans suffering from PTSD is one of the most profoundly stupid interpretations ever uttered.

When those verses are read in the context of the chapter, and in the context of book of Numbers, and in the context of the Old Testament, and in the context of the entire Bible, it becomes almost impossible to imagine how anyone with an elementary school level of reading comprehension could have come up with such an interpretation.

Their mishandling of Scripture is inexcusable, but what makes it unconscionable is they use God's Word to shame and berate veterans with PTSD. Barton and Copeland imply that PTSD is due to guilt over actions carried out in wartime that leads to self-condemnation. This is a profoundly ignorant view of both the causes of combat-induced PTSD and the motivations behind medical and psychological based treatment.

PTSD is psychological trauma that can change how the brain and mental processes function. While in combat, veterans are exposed to the stresses of hyper-violence while living in a near constant state of hyper-vigilance. As psychiatrist Jonathan Shay explains in Achilles in Vietnam: Combat Trauma and the Undoing of Character:

A human enemy strikes not only at the body but also at the most basic functions of the human mind. The Vietnamese enemy defeated the soldier's perception by concealment and his ability to understand what he saw by camouflage. The basic mental state of intention and will was attacked by ambush, deception, surprise, and anticipation . . . . The cumulative effect of prolonged attacks on mental function is to undermine the soldier's trust in his own perceptions.

On returning from combat, the veteran is no longer exposed to violence, yet the reflex for hyper-vigilance -- whether conscious or subconscious -- may remain intact and beyond the person's control. "Exposed to continuous threats of warfare," says Shay, "the body remains mobilized for battle indefinitely." Veterans suffering from PTSD can lose some of the authority over mental processes, such as perception and memory, which civilians take for granted.

Throughout most modern wars, from World War I to Vietnam, both the military and civilian worlds denied or downplayed the existence of this form of psychological trauma. It wasn't until the post-Vietnam era that the medical community began to recognize that experiences of PTSD sufferers were not only real, but also that the causes were likely rooted in genes and brain chemistry, rather than a defect in the veteran's character.

For Copeland and Barton to resurrect this "blame the victim" trope and coat it with the veneer of Biblical warrant is Satanic. Christians need to counter this demonic, gospel-destroying message by letting the men and women who are suffering from combat related PTSD know what the Bible really says about hope, healing, and deliverance through Christ Jesus.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I read this as God shooting targets.
Makes me want to make and sell Jesus shooting targets just to see the reaction. Obviously the stigmata would be worth the highest points.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Imagine waking up one day and finding out that the Southern Baptist Convention is more progressive than you on an issue.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Ape of Naples posted:

I read this as God shooting targets.
Makes me want to make and sell Jesus shooting targets just to see the reaction. Obviously the stigmata would be worth the highest points.

Poor wording on my part. It looked something like this:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/533531/thumbs/s-OBAMA-PELOSI-PALIN-SHOOTING-TARGET-large.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

ReindeerF posted:

Imagine waking up one day and finding out that the Southern Baptist Convention is more progressive than you on an issue.

"Bunch of islamo-fascist, Obama loving turncoats! The cherry picked bible verse is more than enough to heal the soldiers with PTSD. SUPPORT ARE TROOPS!"

Can you quote something some says before they say it? :v: