Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
So today was a poo poo day.

gently caress dispatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ijustam posted:

Don't forget exhaust temp, volts, air filter clogginess, suspension pressure, and a clock because why not

Oh yeah, reminds me of another switch on the newish EGR Cummins, the manual burn off thing to pump some hot exhaust gas out to burn poo poo off some exhaust filter thing.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Rudager posted:

Oh yeah, reminds me of another switch on the newish EGR Cummins, the manual burn off thing to pump some hot exhaust gas out to burn poo poo off some exhaust filter thing.

Manual regen switch?

Some of our newer trucks have a diff lock (single) with the power divider lock. I think people like Powershift can lock everything, so there is three switches there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have labeled pics of my last truck which was ordered with every gage hole filled. I'll post it wheni get home.

One of Jonathan Co workers tried taking out the bridge on the only road into and out of where we were working. Luckily the bridge was stronger than his drive axles and the truck slid far enough out of the way without em

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Seems a lot of guys use suspension pressure to determine whether or not they're overloaded on their drives. Seems handy, even though you can't measure your steers or trailer.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

ijustam posted:

Seems a lot of guys use suspension pressure to determine whether or not they're overloaded on their drives. Seems handy, even though you can't measure your steers or trailer.

It's pretty handy to get it close. I have a computer setting that shows my drive weight.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

DonVincenzo posted:

So today was a poo poo day.

gently caress dispatch.

My backhaul that is due tonight was moved 110 miles the wrong way.

And then dropped.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
This guy tied up traffic on US 6 for a while yesterday.

The intersection is all kinds of hosed up and there aren't any signs aside from weight limits to keep trucks away. He might have made it if he took a right instead of a left, but the car dealership is to the left and he'd have to find a place to turn. The one silver lining is that he didn't choose to sit with his rear end over the railroad tracks, which see a train every 10 minutes or so.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

did he go over those tracks? given how low the clearances are on those car haulers im surprised he didn't get hung up on the tracks

nutcup
Jun 27, 2004

:heysexy: PUBLIC TOILETS :heysexy:
Flashbacks of Cassens trucks surrounding me at the Chrysler plant. I don't see from that angle how that corner created that situation, even with it being a car hauler.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Here's Google's shot from the other side. Doesn't look as extreme with a fisheye lense, though.

Perkins Ave hits US 6 at a 45 degree angle, right after crossing Norfolk Southern's main line 50' away. Compounding things, the tracks sit a good 6 feet above the crown of US 6, so the approach is incredibly steep. The deep gouges in the pavement seem to tell the story of a rough childhood. Anyway, the driver was heading due East on Perkins Ave and tried making a 135 degree turn to head West on US 6, ran out of real estate for the turn and got hosed by the topography.

Even in a car, you take your life into your hands using this intersection. Turning left at speed onto Perkins from Westbound US 6 is fun, you get to play chicken with oncoming traffic while simultaneously brake checking the guy behind you, all while praying the crossing gates are functional because you're not checking for poo poo while your car does a barrel roll off of the approach. Coming the other way is just as bad, if you don't have people swerving across your lane and stopping broadside to you before taking the approach, you'll have people turning right off Perkins who can't turn their heads 135 degrees that will just pull out right the gently caress in front of you while you're clipping along at 60.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

So this happened at work today:
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20131111-710155.html?dsk=y

Pretty drat big news for the industry.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

angryhampster posted:

So this happened at work today:
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20131111-710155.html?dsk=y

Pretty drat big news for the industry.

Maybe on a SLOW news day.

That's a 62mph fleet joining another 62mph fleet joke.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

Maybe on a SLOW news day.

That's a 62mph fleet joining another 62mph fleet joke.

As a planner it annoys me too. I can't even imagine what it's like as a driver being limited at 62.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Downside is the obvious. Upside is inciting road rage in every single California car you see. I used to view it as my little contribution to somebody's eventual court-ordered anger management classes.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

angryhampster posted:

As a planner it annoys me too. I can't even imagine what it's like as a driver being limited at 62.

It really is a bad idea, because now they drive 62 loving everywhere. School zones, construction zones, truck stops...

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

It really is a bad idea, because now they drive 62 loving everywhere. School zones, construction zones, truck stops...

...weigh stations, inspection lanes..it's like they never even happen!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InterceptorV8 posted:

Except when they're on I-80. I had the joy of watching a gear grinder in a white Volvo pulling a single long trailer (with no discernible markings) - shoving everyone out of the left lane at about 83mph heading towards Susanville while it was windy enough to have warnings on the signs.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

Except when they're on I-80. I had the joy of watching a gear grinder in a white Volvo pulling a single long trailer (with no discernible markings) - shoving everyone out of the left lane at about 83mph heading towards Susanville while it was windy enough to have warnings on the signs.

That is a different story. GTI and Heartland are slow companies, that do 62mph everywhere. We don't see many Heartland trucks here.

Those guys, like the ones you see, (good chance is was a Chicago Russian, because if it was a Sikh from Marysville, something would have been on the trailer) are just plain nuts.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

That is a different story. GTI and Heartland are slow companies, that do 62mph everywhere. We don't see many Heartland trucks here.

Those guys, like the ones you see, (good chance is was a Chicago Russian, because if it was a Sikh from Marysville, something would have been on the trailer) are just plain nuts.

Hey now, our trucks can do *64* if you keep the idle low enough. Which means this time of year they all do 62.

Heartland is not big west of Phoenix..about 80% of our freight is east of the Rockies.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Hey I'm only a car driver and I have this fear of getting nailed by a truck, I always give them as much space as possible but I was wondering if you could give me an idea of how those gigantic things handle crosswinds and how long they take to stop. Like I said I already give them heaps of room but the nagging fear remains.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

Hey I'm only a car driver and I have this fear of getting nailed by a truck, I always give them as much space as possible but I was wondering if you could give me an idea of how those gigantic things handle crosswinds and how long they take to stop. Like I said I already give them heaps of room but the nagging fear remains.

Empty with a trailer and good tires/brakes, you're looking at 350-400ft to stop from highway speeds. Loaded, add more. I can't personally speak to crosswinds, except that I've been told an MT trailer is a "sail" in the plains.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ4rbd0Zfwg

Yeah, it takes us awhile to slow down and speed up.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Empty trucks stop fastest, loaded trucks stop straightest; the empties have less momentum to shed but also less traction due to low weight, whereas the full ones have ALL of the downforce.

Fastest does not mean fast, however. Football field +++

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Is there anything you can do in that situation other than hold on?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Pray to whatever god you hold warm and fuzzy. If I remember correctly, that also wasn't a empty truck, so that is at least 35,000 pounds (empty) getting pimp slapped.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Start thinking about your next career.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

angryhampster posted:

Trucks are limited to 56mph in Europe.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

This looks productive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ8WKscGo8I

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

I run out of gears at 81mph, even that is bullshit.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Well this is one way to go through a roundabout....

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

Well this is one way to go through a roundabout....

First couple of things I thought of;
"Haters gonna hate. "
"LEEEEEEROY..."
"beebeep"

Another C1/Drivers Solutions success story. :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How.. does he even manage backing up to a dock? :ohdear:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Mooseykins posted:

LIES. Look at this Eurotruck stimulator!

Panic is awesome. So much loving damage.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

InterceptorV8 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ4rbd0Zfwg

Yeah, it takes us awhile to slow down and speed up.

That happened to my friends dad on the westgate bridge in a kei van. Also that video has convinced me that i dont want to be a trucker

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Pray to whatever god you hold warm and fuzzy. If I remember correctly, that also wasn't a empty truck, so that is at least 35,000 pounds (empty) getting pimp slapped.

0rganDonor posted:

Start thinking about your next career.

How bad does this kind of thing screw you as a driver? I'm assuming this counts as a traffic accident.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

th vwls hv scpd posted:

How bad does this kind of thing screw you as a driver? I'm assuming this counts as a traffic accident.

It really depends on whose desk the report lands on and what mood they are in. You can be a 30 year driver with over a million accident free miles with the same company, but if Paul at safety's wife served him runny eggs that morning he could slam you with gross negligence, incident requiring tow, damaging equipment and loss of load. This isn't like points on your license, this is on your DAC which is a company to company reporting system. You'd never work again.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

th vwls hv scpd posted:

In my experiences, you're more likely to get fired for refusing to drive through the wind than trying and getting pushed over by it.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

0rganDonor posted:

It really depends on whose desk the report lands on and what mood they are in. You can be a 30 year driver with over a million accident free miles with the same company, but if Paul at safety's wife served him runny eggs that morning he could slam you with gross negligence, incident requiring tow, damaging equipment and loss of load. This isn't like points on your license, this is on your DAC which is a company to company reporting system. You'd never work again.

Or you could get fired and get a better job with a higher wage. We had a driver take out an Ikea and the next week he had a better job.

This is for you dispatchers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgEEkJX2Vh4

Angry old man sound board? One of the drivers on your board? Sounds the same to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I work in the finance department of a big east coast based trucking company. This thread is a pretty interesting read.

• Locked thread