Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Frozen-Solid posted:

It works exactly the same as it was in the old messaging app. Tap on the image in Hangouts, it'll open full screen. Tap the image again and the UI overlay comes out with a "..." menu button in the upper right. Click that, and click save.

All I get when I go full screen and tap is a button on the left to go back to hangouts. And my hw menu button doesn't do anything.

Edit: my brother sent me 3 pics and they show separately in hangouts but now I just looked in messaging and see he sent as a slideshow. Maybe that's a problem.

That's not the way I did it in the old messaging app though. I'd long press the senders pic/avatar and select save attachments. If it went fullscreen from the old messaging app it did so with gallery or in my case quickpic. (I have run only cm on my phones for the last 2 years though so maybe its different.)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Maybe it's a strange carrier-specific difference like Hangouts refusing to auto-split SMS into chunks of 160 characters if you're on Sprint even though it works fine for other carriers? On Sprint I can save MMS as described, but perhaps that's our compensation for the annoyance of no auto-split. Who's your carrier? Maybe it's the same as the guy earlier for whom that didn't work.

Personally I bought Slide Messaging and I'm not looking back.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Could it have something to do with everyone sideloading the version of Hangouts meant for 4.4? I've had enough wacky poo poo happen that I've decided to just wait until it's available for my device from Play.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'm cm10.1/android 4.2.2 and haven't sideloaded, just genuine play store updates. On AT&T.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of weird Hangouts/Messaging fun, I disabled messaging from my device after getting the market version of Hangouts + SMS and...now it's gone. :v:

It's not in the app list as a disabled app, it's simply not there at all. hah

Not sure what's going on and I don't want to reenable it but it's still weird.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Question about the K-9 email client.

I'm having issues with some emails where either the text doesn't wrap so I'm forced to scroll to the side, or if I enable auto-fit messages it just shrinks the size of the text so that it's illegible (and also it often it doesn't all fit anyways). Is there some setting I'm not seeing?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Anyone here have any experience with Good for Enterprise?

From their sales pitch it sounds like a great solution from the IT side, but the reviews of the Android app (actually the iOS one for that matter too) are really terrible.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

SmugMug's very popular iOS camera app Camera Awesome is now available on Google Play (with limited device compatibility so far).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smugmug.android.cameraawesome&utm_campaign=CameraAwesomeAndroid

Mmm, fugly iOS6 skin ahoy.

That doesn't bode well for a conscientious port.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone have a suggestion on how to put audiobook mp3s on my phone and not have them pop up in the music library?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ashex posted:

Anyone have a suggestion on how to put audiobook mp3s on my phone and not have them pop up in the music library?

Put a ".nomedia" file in the folder with them.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

dissss posted:

From their sales pitch it sounds like a great solution from the IT side, but the reviews of the Android app (actually the iOS one for that matter too) are really terrible.

We demoed it at my job a little while ago. The admin piece is decent enough and you can set all kinds of useful policies and device restrictions, etc. But the Android client is pretty loving ugly. They ultimately have gone with Airwatch for device management and we are going to use Office 365/exchange for our email, which you can use the standard email and calendar client.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is there a good password database app that a uh, let's say less technically inclined person could use? It doesn't have to have generation or form input, just something my mum can use.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is there a good password database app that a uh, let's say less technically inclined person could use? It doesn't have to have generation or form input, just something my mum can use.

For a free one, Keepass2Android is pretty good. If you're okay with spending some money, LastPass or 1Password work well too.

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000
Anyone know of an IM app that meets the following criteria?

* Doesn't suck rear end
* Works with Jabber/Google Talk
* Allows you to ignore messages from specific users without actually blocking the users

I use Jabber transports for ICQ, etc., but since Hangouts no longer works with transports and manually installing Google Talk is getting to be too much of a hassle since 4.3, I'd like to find a way to be logged into Google Talk and Hangouts at the same time without getting duplicate messages. I know I could switch to something else that logs into the other IM services without Google Talk, but I like the centralized logging of chats. (The NSA likes it too, I'm sure.)

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

hooah posted:

Put a ".nomedia" file in the folder with them.

That's what I'm doing right now, I'm just not sure what Audiobook app to use. The one I grabbed is super confusing to use.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey, I need a Tasker-like app for exactly one purpose. I just got an awesome Bluetooth keyboard for my tablet. I want a scheduler type thing to automatically:

A. Set the default Keyboard to "Null Keyboard" when my blutooth KB is synced (this keeps the on-screen KB from popping up)
B. Set the default KB back to one I designate when the Bluetooth KB disconnects/is turned off.

Right now, I have to manually turn the Null KN on every time I turn the Bluetooth KB on, because it reverts to the tablet's factory Samsung KB when the BT is off. I don't use the Samsung KB at all (I use Google Keyboard)so i don't know why it defaults to that...

e: forgot to mention, since I only want to do this one thing, I'd prefer a free solution if possible.
e2: I bought tasker. Now I have no idea how to use it. Its all freaking variables and menus within menus....

Annath fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 13, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Frozen-Solid posted:

For a free one, Keepass2Android is pretty good. If you're okay with spending some money, LastPass or 1Password work well too.

I use LastPass myself, but it is a little.. cludgy at times, and it's an ongoing price to be able to use it on Android, I believe. Keepass looks like it'll do the trick juuuust fine though, thank you!

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Has anyone tried PasswordBox?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.passwordbox.passwordbox

SneakyBeef
Jan 1, 2012
I don't know about that one. Dashlane seems cool though, the last update included a keyboard that can do auto fill for Android apps. The only exception seems to be my banking app which force closes if I have accessibility running for Dashlane. Which kind of makes sense so I can't fault them for that.

On another note, I just realized that Amazon stopped sending tracking numbers in their shipping emails. Which kinda bones the whole Google tracking card. I've tried emailing the tracking number to myself but no dice.

Anyone have a work around?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

kirbysuperstar posted:

I use LastPass myself, but it is a little.. cludgy at times, and it's an ongoing price to be able to use it on Android, I believe. Keepass looks like it'll do the trick juuuust fine though, thank you!

LastPass got a lot better with the recent updates. It's basically a completely different app now (on desktop browsers as well).

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
LightFlow seems a lot better since the latest update but the 'test notification' button no longer works. I reported the bug and the dev is aware, but at least notifications generally seem to be working now.

Also, I kind of like the new Facebook Messenger UI but I can't unsee the whole iOS feel of it all. Whilst it looks nice compared to what it did, it feels so out of place.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

dissss posted:

Users will not like it, but IT and management will. It essentially creates its own little sandbox on the phone for company data. It will not allow syncing to "the cloud" and that sort of thing. It also allows you to remote wipe just company data rather than the whole device. It more or less adds the Blackberry type business features that are lacking in iOS and Android.

From the IT side, it works pretty well, I've had one issue with a guy with 2,000 contacts and another guy running the version from the Amazon store which is ancient rather than the one on the Play Store. All of the other issues are resolved by a reinstall of the app or contacting Verizon who demand for extra money for the feature and tend to gently caress it up every time you make a change to your plan.

I'm sure it eats battery, is ugly and allows your company complete control over that portion of your phone, which the end user will always hate.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

In what corporate environment would you trust your users with company files and emails on a computer but not their phones?

And before you say 'phones get stolen' let me reply 'phones have passwords'.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Boiled Water posted:

In what corporate environment would you trust your users with company files and emails on a computer but not their phones?

And before you say 'phones get,et stolen' dri reply 'phones have passwords'.

I work for an accounting firm, we can't have client data synced to the various cloud applications that phones have. Measures are taken to ensure secure communications from computers as well.

Laptop drives are encrypted, All data accessed through Citrix, dlp on the email system, that sort of thing.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I've setup good on only 2 iPhones and an iPad, we're blackberry only but trialing good (only bigshots) and about to be byod. I think its pretty cool that we can have the infosec-mandated bb-like experience on non-boring devices, but the bitching about your it-job threads in shsc say that's its just complete battery draining problem causing dogshit on android.

Edit and for me (desktop/phone/hw tech, not a bes or good admin) its just as simple as a bes activation, I love that since I'm still wounded from winmo active sync days before we went bb-only.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 14, 2013

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Is there a decent all-in-one email client that handles push on both Exchange & Gmail and gives you a unified inbox? I guess I was spoiled on iOS.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Ashex posted:

That's what I'm doing right now, I'm just not sure what Audiobook app to use. The one I grabbed is super confusing to use.

I've been using Smart Audiobook Player for a while:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ak.alizandro.smartaudiobookplayer&hl=en

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Is there a decent all-in-one email client that handles push on both Exchange & Gmail and gives you a unified inbox? I guess I was spoiled on iOS.

I haven't used it by K-9 mail may work for you.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure you can't do push on Gmail except via the official client. You can add it as an IMAP account but then you'll have to pick a polling interval.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't do push on Gmail except via the official client. You can add it as an IMAP account but then you'll have to pick a polling interval.
Pocket Casts got an update today with the ability to have a lockscreen scrub bar and a higher res lockscreen image. Such a great app.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Is there anything better than textPlus for sending standard SMS messages within North America from a wifi Nexus 7 to an iPhone 4s? It seems to do everything I want but if there is something much better, even if it costs a little, I'd love to know.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Pocket Casts got an update today with the ability to have a lockscreen scrub bar and a higher res lockscreen image. Such a great app.

Those seem nice if you have 4.4. What I'm looking forward to is the fixing the bug where some episodes get skipped (happens every week with Science Friday). They know about it, but I guess it's tricky to fix.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Those seem nice if you have 4.4. What I'm looking forward to is the fixing the bug where some episodes get skipped (happens every week with Science Friday). They know about it, but I guess it's tricky to fix.
Is that a problem with the app or the way Science Friday publishes its podcast? I only ask because I've never even once had a problem with Pocket Casts missing an episode but I only have five so I might not be the best test case.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Is that a problem with the app or the way Science Friday publishes its podcast? I only ask because I've never even once had a problem with Pocket Casts missing an episode but I only have five so I might not be the best test case.

I'm not sure, but when I emailed the devs about it whoever responded said it is a known issue. The episode gets downloaded, but the player always wants to skip to the next non-SciFri episode, despite that not being the next episode in the queue.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Annath posted:

Hey, I need a Tasker-like app for exactly one purpose. I just got an awesome Bluetooth keyboard for my tablet. I want a scheduler type thing to automatically:

A. Set the default Keyboard to "Null Keyboard" when my blutooth KB is synced (this keeps the on-screen KB from popping up)
B. Set the default KB back to one I designate when the Bluetooth KB disconnects/is turned off.

Right now, I have to manually turn the Null KN on every time I turn the Bluetooth KB on, because it reverts to the tablet's factory Samsung KB when the BT is off. I don't use the Samsung KB at all (I use Google Keyboard)so i don't know why it defaults to that...

e: forgot to mention, since I only want to do this one thing, I'd prefer a free solution if possible.
e2: I bought tasker. Now I have no idea how to use it. Its all freaking variables and menus within menus....

Do this: http://code.rawlinson.us/2012/10/android-change-keyboard-based-on-app.html

but instead of "Application", select
State-->Net-->Bluetooth connected
to trigger the task

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I'm not sure, but when I emailed the devs about it whoever responded said it is a known issue. The episode gets downloaded, but the player always wants to skip to the next non-SciFri episode, despite that not being the next episode in the queue.
Ah okay. That's not the same issue I was thinking of that had the GoodNews guy complaining. The one I was thinking of had some kind of malformation in the RSS feed preventing download (in that case by Google Reader).

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Has anyone out there not received the Hangouts 2.0 update yet? My 2013 Nexus 7 still hasn't grabbed it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Require More Fire posted:

Has anyone out there not received the Hangouts 2.0 update yet? My 2013 Nexus 7 still hasn't grabbed it.

I didn't have it on my Nexus 7 2013 until I sideloaded Kit Kat last night. I still haven't gotten it on my phone.

I got the new G+ update they pushed just a few days ago, but not hangouts yet. It seems like this is on the really slow roll.

I barely SMS though so I'm not exactly in a hurry.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 14, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

Feel free to sideload it. It won't break future updates to do so.

They might have pulled the update due to the emoji bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I was messing with the Motorola camera on a RAZR M and it came up and said "high contrast scene detected, press here to use HDR for this photo" or something like that.

Is there a way to add this functionality to a phone that has CM10? I have an app called Camera Zoom or something but it's not really that good. Is there a way to get the Moto Blur camera on my phone?

• Locked thread