Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Chieck Tiote is apparently heading to trial for fraud as he's pleaded not guilty to the charges of using a fake Belgian driver's license and lying to obtain car insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
Shef Weds striker Gary Madine jailed for 18 months for breaking one a nose and a jaw in two separate attacks in bars

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-24398799

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Bacon of the Sea posted:

Shef Weds striker Gary Madine jailed for 18 months for breaking one a nose and a jaw in two separate attacks in bars

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-24398799

RIP Coventry City legend

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2013-10-28/tiote-given-suspended-sentence/

Tiote has been given a suspended sentence for using a forged driving license

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24939428

Nile Ranger has gone missing from Swindon Town and nobody is sure where he is.

Nice to see Swindon managing to gently caress up in new and entertaining ways.

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...itish-game.html

Theres some breaking news about match fixing in England.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

cadfael posted:

http://www.newafricanmagazine.com/special-reports/other-reports/african-football-the-truth-behind-match-fixing/who-is-wilson-raj-perumal

Here's a pretty neat article about the guy they say is behind the big match fixing syndicate. He's supposed to be assisting Hungarian authorities in uncovering other match fixers. :laugh:

e: This one is longer and less good, but perhaps useful regardless: http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/7927946/soccer-wilson-raj-perumal-world-most-prolific-criminal-match-fixer-espn-magazine

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

cadfael posted:

MLS is the only pure league in the world.

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
Right after their game against A.C Milan, Celtic player James Forrest was arrested over alleged sexual assualt and public indecency from earlier this month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-25102654

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

DJ Ramshackle posted:

Right after their game against A.C Milan, Celtic player James Forrest was arrested over alleged sexual assualt and public indecency from earlier this month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-25102654

He was arrested the morning of the game, he allegedly got his wang out in a night club. They released him and he still played that night.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Delroy Facey, ex Bolton, Derby County player is one of those arrested in connection with match fixing.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

rats off to ya posted:

MLS is the only pure league in the world.

Considering even the Canadian "professional" top division has been busted for match-fixing, I wouldn't be so sure.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Nothing is pure and holy anymore. I don't know what to believe!

I hear a lot of people being charged and poo poo, but has anything ever come of it? Ribery, Benzema, Ranger, etc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Remy was supposed to be in court this month but it doesn't seem to have happened but there has been no news the case has been dropped

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Match fixing at the highest level is a lot less prevalent than in the lower leagues. Mostly because to get a player in the Top divisions to risk their entire career will cost alot more than a 5 grand.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Match fixing at the highest level is a lot less prevalent than in the lower leagues. Mostly because to get a player in the Top divisions to risk their entire career will cost alot more than a 5 grand.

There's been cases in italy, spain and other big-ish leagues where top flight teams have had problems paying their players for months iirc.

It's mostly in the lower league, and most often in central/eastern europe where a lot of these things can go under the radar. I saw a documentary about it once that said Belgium has or just to have big problems with match fixing in their lower leagues.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah I can imagine its very prevalent in lower divisions due to the fact that its much harder for a player to turn down someone offering him 5 grand to throw a match when thats as much as he earns in a month.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

That and its probably easy to get away with as a footballer if you're not really stupid about it

Edit: In other dodgy football news, 3 people have been charged with hacking the FA's computers

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah I can imagine its very prevalent in lower divisions due to the fact that its much harder for a player to turn down someone offering him 5 grand to throw a match when thats as much as he earns in a month.

I know players who play amateur football in the fourth and fifth tiers of the regional football leagues in norway that regularly receives messages from mystery profiles on facebook and twitter promising them money to lose matches, concede a lot of goals, get sent off etc. It's unbelievable that it's even possible to bet on matches from these leagues.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

euroboy posted:

I know players who play amateur football in the fourth and fifth tiers of the regional football leagues in norway that regularly receives messages from mystery profiles on facebook and twitter promising them money to lose matches, concede a lot of goals, get sent off etc. It's unbelievable that it's even possible to bet on matches from these leagues.

Yeah I don't get how that's possible. Surely the gambling companies are sensible enough to realise that if more then £100 gets placed on a match like that it's dodgy as gently caress and they should suspend betting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its all illegal gambling in Asia. There was an article in the Guardian a while back when one of the bigger match fixers got arrested that they had spotters absolutely everywhere and at times spotters were just making poo poo up because a match wasn't actually being played

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yeah I don't get how that's possible. Surely the gambling companies are sensible enough to realise that if more then £100 gets placed on a match like that it's dodgy as gently caress and they should suspend betting.

In this case the most dodgy thing is that all players know each other and will always easily know all sorts of information and can bet on their own or other matches without being caught because no one cares.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Yeah I know people who earn $$ to basically provide match updates (not dodgy) to betting companies in Asia of 3rd division Australian state leagues. There was a big bust recently where a few got done too..

It always makes me wonder on betfair when you see Georgian U19 matches you can bet on.. how could they NOT be fixed?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Obviously the bookmakers make huge profits off all the lovely matches or they wouldn't offer them.

Spiller
Apr 28, 2010

I remember when Delroy Facey played for Gillingham. Very hard to tell if he was throwing a match or just poo poo.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

euroboy posted:

Earlier this season more was bet on Welling vs Billericay Town than on the Barcelona champs league match the same night. Only 408 people attended the game. Some bookmakers haven't taken bets on Chelmsford, Billericay and AFC Hornchurch games since then. Apparently the total average betting for a 5th tier game in England is about £30k, but their games were going into several million.

The people running the fixing must have known they'd only get a narrow window before they were found out, but I doubt they give a gently caress considering there's so many other games they can fix elsewhere for similar cash.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Scott Bakula posted:

Remy was supposed to be in court this month but it doesn't seem to have happened but there has been no news the case has been dropped

Anything ever come of this?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Bea Nanner posted:

A large hole in a certain French bank account?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bea Nanner posted:

Gonna do a big lol to myself and otherwise leave it here because welp lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

6 people have been arrested for trying to spot fix Championship matches

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
and here's the red card that Sodje says he did deliberately for seventy grand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOThFCftgyc

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
2 of the players mentioned, Sodje and Montano, are ex-Notts players :ohdear:

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
BBC news was trying to go for the whole "once upon a time it was enough to just watch a match but now people gamble?" angle and the guy they had on was like are you seriously trying to get a world-wide ban on gambling? it was a bit odd the angle they were going for, asking if the FA should step-in as well was odd, when the FA has no power outside of football and they'll just have to consult with the new national crime agency(?) and police.

the glow
May 31, 2009

Popehoist posted:

2 of the players mentioned, Sodje and Montano, are ex-Notts players :ohdear:

Leeds loaned in Sodje in '09, he only played a handful of games but one of the ones I was at I remember him scoring some retarded own goal from outside the box, I googled a bit and managed to find a video of it http://www.footytube.com/video/Leeds-United-vs-Tranmere-Rovers-11068

Honest mistake, or... something much more sinister? I think it's clear that we would have been promoted that season and likely even won League One were it not for Sodje's cartoonish villainy. Shameful

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

DJ Campbell has been charged as well.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Bloody hell. :stare:

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Sodje & DJ Campbell used to play for Brentford together too. I suppose it makes sense if they make a few quid they'd tell a friend...

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat
It makes sense to assume PL matches don't get fixed because of the risk for everbody involved, and the fact that it would be difficult for these people to offer your average PL footballer money he can't refuse.

But if championship matches have been fixed what are the chances that here and there it played a part in getting some teams promoted either directly or indirectly? Pretty high I reckon.

e: or relegated, for that matter

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

It doesn't make any sense at all to assume that PL matches aren't fixed. It's pretty much the same reasoning as "there's no doping in football so there's no reason to take blood samples". All it takes is for someone to make an not too obvious own goal or maybe get a red card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sircozzie posted:

It makes sense to assume PL matches don't get fixed because of the risk for everbody involved, and the fact that it would be difficult for these people to offer your average PL footballer money he can't refuse.

All they need to do is find someone with huge gambling debts