Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
My grandma is stuck in bed pretty much permanently now, so I bought her an iPad and I'm looking for some games to put on it. She used to spend hours and hours on Pogo every day so I'd like to find games similar to what Pogo offered, there's a Pogo app but it's poo poo. I'd also like to find an app that has a good collection of card games, but there's so much poo poo to sort through that I haven't had much luck with that. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Don't listen to the whiners Eli, they'll spot something on the store in the next six seconds that grabs their attention anyway.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

io_burn posted:

:words:

I'm sorry that makes people so mad. :(

I can't say I always agree with reviews, but I appreciate the fact that there are websites out there which at least highlight some of the better / more notable games. With how much garbage is on the App Store, chances are I'd never have found some of the quality games on the platform if it weren't for sites like TouchArcade.

People who whine about that are literally getting mad at how much fun someone had playing a video game. Lowest common denominator, there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

io_burn posted:

There are hundreds of games that are approved for sale on the App Store every day. On a very busy day we'll post maybe 15 stories. Of those 15 stories, at most half will be reviews, and that's on a week where my freelance staff is running on all cylinders. We largely operate as a filter to highlight good games from the poo poo games, so things typically tend to score higher because we're skipping things that aren't worth anyone's time. High ratings would be incredibly rare if we reviewed every game that got released.

I really don't know how to satisfy score whiners, as it almost seems like they just enjoy being miserable and hate video games. Why we're getting so much flak for rating Oceanhorn highly is beyond me. It's an incredible game. Is it perfect? Hell no, but in a sea of horrid games that aren't even worth talking about, it's something everyone who vaguely identifies as an iOS gamer should have. If that doesn't make it a five star game, I don't know what does.

I'm not sure how people think video game scoring works. It's not like there's a device you can run games through to objectively measure its graphics, sound, and fun factor to compute an indisputable scientific average. All games scores are just someone who played through a game assigning how much they liked it to a weird number that is only necessary because people don't like reading text and because of the Metacritic circle jerk.

Go throw a linksys router into a river over it you big baby.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

io_burn posted:

I really don't know how to satisfy score whiners, as it almost seems like they just enjoy being miserable and hate video games. Why we're getting so much flak for rating Oceanhorn highly is beyond me. It's an incredible game. Is it perfect? Hell no, but in a sea of horrid games that aren't even worth talking about, it's something everyone who vaguely identifies as an iOS gamer should have. If that doesn't make it a five star game, I don't know what does.

I'm not sure how people think video game scoring works. It's not like there's a device you can run games through to objectively measure its graphics, sound, and fun factor to compute an indisputable scientific average. All games scores are just someone who played through a game assigning how much they liked it to a weird number that is only necessary because people don't like reading text and because of the Metacritic circle jerk.

I really respect that you are standing behind your scoring. One thing I have always wondered about game reviewing in general is why is there seldom room for perfect games? Once in a blue moon you might see a game that is truly perfect for what it is and what it tries to be. *IF* I were a game reviewer, I would think I would have some sort of special way to distinguish something of that nature. Maybe not even with normal scoring, but *SOME* way to show people reading my reviews that there is a different echelon of gaming that exists.

When I used to read gaming magazines back in the day, I used to skim to the 9/10 or better reviews, mainly because I knew that the reviewer was going to gush about this game, this pinnacle of creative design, that they could barely rip their eyes away from long enough to write the article. Maybe its because I'm older, maybe its because the game industry is older, but that excitement and fanatacism seems lost. We say a game is great for meeting our expectations, but we don't even have a way to quantify a game that exceeds them because everything else has gotten top marks.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

io_burn posted:

There are hundreds of games that are approved for sale on the App Store every day. On a very busy day we'll post maybe 15 stories. Of those 15 stories, at most half will be reviews, and that's on a week where my freelance staff is running on all cylinders. We largely operate as a filter to highlight good games from the poo poo games, so things typically tend to score higher because we're skipping things that aren't worth anyone's time. High ratings would be incredibly rare if we reviewed every game that got released.

Perhaps if you don't know how people thinks scoring works you should first find out and then use that method.
You basically briefly said 'yeah, it's a lot like zelda' then went on to make most of the rest of the article a list of negatives before capping the whole thing off with a five star rating.
It comes across as pretty drat arbitrary.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Oceanhorn is great on my Mini, I just make sure I've quit out of all apps and run that cMemory app to clean up RAM; afterward it's as smooth as a pearl. I do see polygon seams in some underground scenes but I pretend it's lava. I'd say it's a miracle it runs in 256 MB on iPod Touch 4th Gens at all.

It may be a 'clone' game but you know what? It's a quality clone, it's smooth and never crashes on me and the allowances they made for touch screen are quite acceptable. It works, it holds my attention, and I haven't run into any bugs in six hours of play. The control scheme almost makes me not miss having a controller yet.

Comparing this to Star Command when it first came out is like comparing an SR-71 to a 2-channel toy copter. The music is unreal and gets me in the Zelda mood. Until emulators get a dozen times better I have no problem with Oceanhore.

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

knowin' nothin' in life but to be legit

Sad lions posted:

Perhaps if you don't know how people thinks scoring works you should first find out and then use that method.
You basically briefly said 'yeah, it's a lot like zelda' then went on to make most of the rest of the article a list of negatives before capping the whole thing off with a five star rating.

Reading comprehension may not be your strong suit; he explained fairly clearly how scoring works.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Sad lions posted:

Review scores are arbitrary. It isn't possible to objectively score something, that isn't what a review is.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Personally I think it has a lot to do with the broader trend that our way of thinking about assessed performance in general - be it grades in school or scores assigned to video games - has shifted to where the top mark is considered the benchmark and anything below that is inferior and flawed, rather than the top score indicating a truly exceptional product that rises above all expectations. It's no longer a situation where the immediate question on seeing that something got 9/10 is "wow, how did they produce something so exceptional?" but "wow, what did they gently caress up to not be perfect?"

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

io_burn posted:

Review scores are arbitrary. It isn't possible to objectively score something, that isn't what a review is.

You're supposed to check Metacritic, that's how you get the objective review.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I don't really care about scores, but my real problem with that review is how uninformative the written portion of it is.

I think IO Burn's post kind of points put why I don't get it - reviews on the site operate on the basis that people always want to have a new iOS game to play, so as soon as something passable and somewhat fun comes along it gets a high recommendation. I guess I'm more interested in a review that doesn't assume I will want the game if it's not really bad.

Not trying to insult anyone, just realizing that the metric is different from mine. No need to jump to ad hominem attacks as soon as someone points out a potential issue with the writing in a review, though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Regardless of review theory, Oceanhorn is still a very bland clone of a series that is in dire need of revitalization. The Zelda formula barely works for Zelda anymore, much less clones that offer absolutely nothing new. I give it 3 nimblebits out of 100 stars.

And yeah, it's dumb to write mostly about the bad parts of a game then give it your highest rating.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 14, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

io_burn posted:

Well your score put there for people who don't like to read is somewhat confusing to someone who actually does read your article and wonders why your overall tone and final score don't marry up (especially when so very little time is put into explaining why it's considered good).
Is it really worth slapping a worthless number on it just to seem like all the other review sites and satisfy the lazy?

Hell of a thing to whinge about metacritic scores while practicing a good chunk of the same BS

I swear, what is it about people in the games industry and thinking they're immune to criticism?

Bottom Liner posted:

Regardless of review theory, Oceanhorn is still a very bland clone of a series that is in dire need of revitalization. The Zelda formula barely works for Zelda anymore, much less clones that offer absolutely nothing new. I give it 3 nimblebits out of 100 stars.

I haven't played it so I give it 15 thumbs of indeterminate direction.

radge
Jan 21, 2005

You mean to say I can't get a triple AAA title for £6 on iOS and have to make do with an extremely well produced homage to a classic game series :smithicide:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

You can get plenty of AAA titles, but they're often ports. There are plenty of really fun and original low(er) budget games though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

superh posted:

You're supposed to check Metacritic, that's how you get the objective review.

An average of subjective scores does not create an objective score.

There is no such thing as an objective review. It doesn't matter if you're talking about movies, painting, books, video games, or anything else that can be construed in some way as art. This isn't to say that you can't have a good and bad art, but that whether it's good or bad depends on the criteria you're judging it by.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I think the problem people are having is not so much the score as it is the way the review was written. It's possible to write a review that says "here are some issues, but overall here are things that make it super worthwhile" but that review seemed to be written with a lot of negative focus that didn't seem tempered enough with the positives to explain the high score. It's possible to give a game 5/5 or whatever if it's not perfect, but a review that ends with "it's a flawed, blatant rip-off" doesn't give off a 5/5 vibe.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Okay, I went ahead and reread the drat thing. You do list a bunch of positives in the beginning (mostly about the zelda appropriation and production value) but I think the main issue is that you just put out a slew of negatives for the last third of the article before ending on a top rating.

The pacing of it comes across as weird and jarring once the stars hit because it feels like we're watching you grow increasingly disenchanted with the game as you write on.

Also probably refrain from whining about devs telling you playing badly in your quick look in another quick look (and probably arguing with readers over the quality of your reviews) if you want to keep up your veneer of professionalism.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
oceanhorn sounds like a pass because I don't like zelda. In modern zelda the combat's brainless, the puzzles are brainless, and the world is a boring place to me since I don't have nostalgia for it.

I have enjoyed rip offs, but they usually address things I have a problem with. Ittle Dew has great puzzles and nonlinearity. Anodyne hasa brilliant, crazy world with so much variety and some difficult combat situations. You rescue princesses in neither game.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Nickoten posted:

I guess I'm more interested in a review that doesn't assume I will want the game if it's not really bad.

To be fair, Eli is in the unfortunate position of writing about games on a platform where 99% of the games are utter trash, and the other 1% is, basically, not that bad. There have been, in my opinion, no games on iOS that would be exceptional, oh my god 5 stars! games on any other platform. A 5 star iOS game is a completely different beast.

I think that review made perfect sense if you look at it that way: "its a clone, its got problems, it's not that great, but hey, this is iOS. Its an actual game, and you should really get this if you like gaming on your iPad enough to read a blog about gaming on your iPad"

:shrug:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jake Armitage posted:

A 5 star iOS game is a completely different beast.
That's obviously why sites that review PC/console games go to 10 stars.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I imagine it would be tough to get any sort of pay (i.e. advertising dollars from iOS publishers) to review iOS games if you had an explicit disclaimer of "5-star iOS games are really 3-star PC/console games" in every review.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Jake Armitage posted:

To be fair, Eli is in the unfortunate position of writing about games on a platform where 99% of the games are utter trash, and the other 1% is, basically, not that bad. There have been, in my opinion, no games on iOS that would be exceptional, oh my god 5 stars! games on any other platform. A 5 star iOS game is a completely different beast.

I think that review made perfect sense if you look at it that way: "its a clone, its got problems, it's not that great, but hey, this is iOS. Its an actual game, and you should really get this if you like gaming on your iPad enough to read a blog about gaming on your iPad"

I can think of a few exceptional games on iOS, but there aren't many. Sword & Sorcery is great, for one. (And it started on iOS and then was ported, rather than the other way around.)

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

robodex posted:

I can think of a few exceptional games on iOS, but there aren't many. Sword & Sorcery is great, for one. (And it started on iOS and then was ported, rather than the other way around.)

Year Walk and The Room are good candidates too. I think those that excel are games that attempt to make the most of the touch controls and aim to be slightly more than just a time waster.

There's definitely a lot of potential but it gets swept away under a mountain of poo poo

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

I know everyone's gonna go bananas for Oceanhorn tonight, but I'll alert you to some recent rhythm game news if that's your thing:

Cytus just went free and has been updating itself with tons of new songs, so if you haven't grabbed that yet, do so now. It's one of the best mobile-only (although there's a version for Vita now) music games. Really high quality stuff.

Hey, this is pretty great and seems to have an insane amount of content for a free game. Thanks!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Jake Armitage posted:

Yeah, this is a pretty fair and accurate assessment, I think. I'd argue that genuinely good and unique iOS games do exist, though. I adored Sword and Glory, for example, and its style of play perfectly suited something you'd play on a phone. Same goes for King of Dragon Pass, which was a PC port but still perfectly suited to this platform. Plus I can't even run the PC version anyway.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

io_burn posted:

Arbitrary and subjective aren't the same thing. I think most of the complaints come from the fact that you keep saying Touch Arcade is a discovery site, but having five star reviews doesn't mesh with that. If five stars just means "hey, you should play this" then it's completely pointless to have the stars at all and you should just use a simple "not recommended," "recommended," "highly recommended" kind of system.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Rita Repulsa posted:

You rescue princesses in neither game.

To be fair: there's no princess in Oceanhorn.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't understand how, in TDS, the emperor can say, "Have 30 bitizens move in," I grow my population up to 31, and that doesn't make him happy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont worry, he dies when Vader throws him down the shaft.

(its a bug and its meant to be 35)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ah, okay, thanks. I was afraid it was actually meaning "30 MORE than when you got this quest" which would mean like 50 total in my case.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have a sneaking suspicion the elevator shaft will lead to an exhaust port at the top.

Luke's not very nice...sending torpedoes down my busy elevator shaft.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Paradoxish posted:

This is right alongside FTL and Panzer Corps at the top of my most anticipated iOS games list. Can't loving wait.

Whatever happened to Panzer Corps?

Went into the abyss.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Dont worry, he dies when Vader throws him down the shaft.

(its a bug and its meant to be 35)

Ugh, I've seen this before and it's driving me nuts. I'm up to 35 and I've cycled out many bitizens and this still isn't triggering for me.

I guess I'll try building yet another residential level and see what happens.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Evil Sagan posted:

Ugh, I've seen this before and it's driving me nuts. I'm up to 35 and I've cycled out many bitizens and this still isn't triggering for me.

I guess I'll try building yet another residential level and see what happens.

Same, I had 35 citizens when I got that goal, cycled some out and had new ones move in and ended up just having to pay the bucks to get past it. Finally got the communications level built too, only took building half the imperial levels first.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's amazing how quickly iOS games have evolved . It's been what, maybe 4 years from the real off?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
So when does that controller thing come out anyway?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

robodex posted:

It's not this, I can tell you that much for sure. I used to trust Touch Arcade because it was the only game in town, but now if I see a 5-star review I have to put it through the "hype" filter. I mean, you should probably do that with most reviews, but more so on TA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Samara posted:

Whatever happened to Panzer Corps?

Went into the abyss.

It's in late beta, Pocket Tactics previewed it a while back: http://www.pockettactics.com/features/previews/hands-preview-panzer-corps-ipad/

• Locked thread