Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fernhill
Oct 28, 2013

I live in the USA, and I've noticed that convenience stores often sell plastic tubes with a fake rose in them as a "gift to your sweetheart" or something. What are they actually for?

I asked the cashier at one, and she told me that she wished they weren't sold there because they are actually drug paraphernalia. People are actually buying the tubes, and the little fake roses are there just to disguise their true purpose. Is this true? Are there any other disguised products sold like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Fernhill posted:

I live in the USA, and I've noticed that convenience stores often sell plastic tubes with a fake rose in them as a "gift to your sweetheart" or something. What are they actually for?

I asked the cashier at one, and she told me that she wished they weren't sold there because they are actually drug paraphernalia. People are actually buying the tubes, and the little fake roses are there just to disguise their true purpose. Is this true? Are there any other disguised products sold like this?

You know those cheap, sometimes flavored "cigars," sold individually or as 2-packs? Nobody smokes those, they just dump the filler and fill the wrapper with weed.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fernhill posted:

crack pipes are sold as stems for incense or something.

Also, dildoes in texas are sold as "novelty sculptures"

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BobTheCow posted:

You know those cheap, sometimes flavored "cigars," sold individually or as 2-packs? Nobody smokes those, they just dump the filler and fill the wrapper with weed.

I smoke them when I can't afford anything else. But yeah, my roommate only gets them for blunt wraps and I imagine 90% of buyers are doing the same.

e: nonsensical typo

razorrozar fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 14, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Fernhill posted:

BobTheCow posted:

Some people do smoke them and they stink. Most people use them to make blunts. The "gift rose" thing is different, it's easily converted into a pipe you can use for things that need high temperatures--crack, meth, etc.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a generally accepted font to use for emails? My email client at work defaults to Sans Serif, and I want to change it because it looks awkward when I'm making lists of stuff and the font isn't monospace, but then I don't know how professional it would be to use Courier New.

Your lists that need formatting almost certainly need more formatting than monospaced fonts will give in an email. Use zero formatting/fancy stuff in the email, and-or attach a properly formatted file of whatever kind that is standard where you work.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 14, 2013

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I have a "shed" attached to the back of my house. There is no access to it from the house, only from an outside door. It was previously used as a woodshop - the walls are plywood. It's about 10x10.

I wish to use this room as an office.

The plan when I bought the house was to remove the plywood and put up drywall plus do a little remodeling (add some outlets, CAT5, etc). Since then, I think we've decided to do a little more remodeling, which includes demolishing this shed/woodshop/office thing altogether. That will probably happen in a couple of years, and until then I want to use this space as my office. I occasionally have clients/vendors to the office, and I'd like it not to look completely ghetto.

Right now the walls are bare plywood.

Any suggestions on what to do to make it look nice with a couple hundred bucks and maybe two half-days of labor?

I figure my options are:

Stain/varnish
paint
skimcoat, sand, paint (this will exceed my two half-days)
remove plywood, install drywall (this will exceed cost and time)

and then there's always the possibility that once I put down flooring (it's concrete right now) and put a desk in there, regular old plywood won't be so bad after all.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We just answered the door and some salesman from 'accent energy' just got us to switch over from PG&E to them. we looked on the internet after they left because we've encountered lying salesmen before, and sure enough they're liars and we'll get a worse bill, but we did sign a contract. My question is: they have a cancellation form attached to the contract, and there's a 3-day period in which you can cancel your order with them. Their address is a P.O. Box. I want to send (this is the USA) some kind of mail that we're guaranteed a delivery time with proof of delivery since I'm pretty sure they'll try to scam us and say they didn't get the cancellation within the 3-day window. What exactly do I do for this?

Note, accent energy (I live in san jose, looks like they've been doing this recently): http://www.yelp.com/biz/accent-energy-san-jose
http://www.pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by-company/accent-energy.html

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

redreader posted:

We just answered the door and some salesman from 'accent energy' just got us to switch over from PG&E to them. we looked on the internet after they left because we've encountered lying salesmen before, and sure enough they're liars and we'll get a worse bill, but we did sign a contract. My question is: they have a cancellation form attached to the contract, and there's a 3-day period in which you can cancel your order with them. Their address is a P.O. Box. I want to send (this is the USA) some kind of mail that we're guaranteed a delivery time with proof of delivery since I'm pretty sure they'll try to scam us and say they didn't get the cancellation within the 3-day window. What exactly do I do for this?

Note, accent energy (I live in san jose, looks like they've been doing this recently): http://www.yelp.com/biz/accent-energy-san-jose
http://www.pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by-company/accent-energy.html

Aside from the kind of mail service to use, be very careful about the address. PO boxes seem to need perfect addressing for delivery without return, and we're mostly used to mailing businesses and homes which are easier.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'd make my first call to PG&E for their advice, and my second call to the attorney general in the morning.

Advice to live by is that anyone trying to sell anything is doing so for a profit, and the more pushy it is, the worse of a deal it is. Door-to-door salesmen and things advertised on television are both toward the "worse of a deal" end of this. If it was a spectacular deal, it would be in small print buried in the "legal disclosures" section of the newspaper, not knocking on your door asking you to sign up.

Corollary: the more pressure (i.e. you must sign up right now, you can't google around and sign up tomorrow), the worse the deal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fernhill posted:

There's a cracked article on it. Short version: Glass tubes roses come in are for smoking crack, socks are for huffing paint, shoelaces are for tying around your arm to find a vein, nitrous oxide is sold "for culinary purposes", and copper wool is also for smoking crack.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

photomikey posted:

I have a "shed" attached to the back of my house. There is no access to it from the house, only from an outside door. It was previously used as a woodshop - the walls are plywood. It's about 10x10.

I wish to use this room as an office.

The plan when I bought the house was to remove the plywood and put up drywall plus do a little remodeling (add some outlets, CAT5, etc). Since then, I think we've decided to do a little more remodeling, which includes demolishing this shed/woodshop/office thing altogether. That will probably happen in a couple of years, and until then I want to use this space as my office. I occasionally have clients/vendors to the office, and I'd like it not to look completely ghetto.

Right now the walls are bare plywood.

Any suggestions on what to do to make it look nice with a couple hundred bucks and maybe two half-days of labor?

I figure my options are:

Stain/varnish
paint
skimcoat, sand, paint (this will exceed my two half-days)
remove plywood, install drywall (this will exceed cost and time)

and then there's always the possibility that once I put down flooring (it's concrete right now) and put a desk in there, regular old plywood won't be so bad after all.

Drywall will be the most work but will look the best of course. In fact, your list is basically an inverse order of what would look best / take the least work. Taping and mudding is a pain, so if it were me I'd probably sand and paint which won't be too terribly bad if you have an electric handheld sander. Just be sure to use flat paint -- even eggshell will make every imperfection show up so much more, let alone satin or semigloss.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
Is there a computer questions megathread? I just want to know, when you install RAM, is there anything else you need to do? Or do you just click it in, and it works?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eminkey2003 posted:

Is there a computer questions megathread? I just want to know, when you install RAM, is there anything else you need to do? Or do you just click it in, and it works?

Just click it in.

Don't force it though, and also make sure you have the right ram.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What he said. As long as you're not trying to overclock it, it'll work automatically with any modern motherboard / ram. Though if you have multiple sticks of ram rated for different speeds, all of them will run at the speed of the slowest stick.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Livingtrope posted:

Unfortunately most of the links there are broken, so I can't really tell. But thanks anyway, I know I was really vague.

This is from a few pages back but I just want to resolve it, if you haven't found it.

It's from this goldmined thread, Please, please read. I need help. I'm not lying.
Basically, the story is the OP posts a thread about how he borrowed someone's credit card and can't get a charge he didn't intend off of it. (it's totally his parent's credit card, he's like 14, but he won't admit it) It ultimately results in internet detectives digging up his information, which leads to someone calling his mother.
There's a saclopdia entry with a working mirror. The encyclopedia claims that it wasn't his mother after all, so it's slightly less awkward. But either way we have an mp3 of a real life phone conversation with the phrase "I'm...I'm from the internet."

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

eminkey2003 posted:

You didn't see the entire forum dedicated to computer hardware or sub forum dedicated to tech support?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ThatPazuzu posted:

How did we go from the War for Independence to having a positive relationship with the UK? I'm not asking for a full history of our diplomatic relationship but when did we start cooperating with the them again?

The first US ambassador to England was John Adams, 1785-1788, but he left in a huff because nobody in the English cabinet would talk to him. The next ambassador was (in 1792) Thomas Pinckney, then Rufus King, who made some real headway, then Monroe, who made more headway, but then relations foundered in 1805 over the whole impressment of Americans by the British Navy/piracy via letters of marque and reprisal by the US conflict* that eventually led to the Anglo-American War/War of 1812.

John Quincy Adams was the one who turned things around when he served as ambassador in 1815, after the war ended.

*Also, Jefferson was president then, and he hated England. So he refused to sign a treaty that Monroe and his successor Pinkney (no relation to Pinckney) had hammered out, because he didn't trust that the English would keep their side of the deal.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 14, 2013

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jefferson was right, we wouldn't have.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gils posted:

This is from a few pages back but I just want to resolve it, if you haven't found it.

It's from this goldmined thread, Please, please read. I need help. I'm not lying.
Basically, the story is the OP posts a thread about how he borrowed someone's credit card and can't get a charge he didn't intend off of it. (it's totally his parent's credit card, he's like 14, but he won't admit it) It ultimately results in internet detectives digging up his information, which leads to someone calling his mother.
There's a saclopdia entry with a working mirror. The encyclopedia claims that it wasn't his mother after all, so it's slightly less awkward. But either way we have an mp3 of a real life phone conversation with the phrase "I'm...I'm from the internet."

Holy poo poo! Thank you so much, I was beginning to think I had just made it up.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

FCKGW posted:

You didn't see the entire forum dedicated to computer hardware or sub forum dedicated to tech support?

Well yeah, but I meant a small questions thread.

So if you have a 3GB RAM stick and a 1GB, it runs at 1GB? That means I'd have to buy a 4 GB stick for mine. When you say the right RAM, do you mean that RAM is specific for each PC brand? Like is there Toshiba RAM and Lenovo RAM? What different kinds of RAM are there?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

eminkey2003 posted:

Well yeah, but I meant a small questions thread.

So if you have a 3GB RAM stick and a 1GB, it runs at 1GB? That means I'd have to buy a 4 GB stick for mine. When you say the right RAM, do you mean that RAM is specific for each PC brand? Like is there Toshiba RAM and Lenovo RAM? What different kinds of RAM are there?

3GB & 1GB is the SIZE not speed. There will be something like PC3300 or something that tells how fast the chips run. As far as the right ram, it is not tied to a manufacturer of the computer. I has to do with different types as in DDR, DDR2, DDR3 etc. They will have a certain pin layout (there is a notch in a certain position on the card) that has to line up. You can go to Crucial's Memory Advisor Tool and enter your computer make and model and it will tell you what you need. Along with what the max per slot is and how many slots are available.

Another thing to think about is that you need a 64-Bit version of Operating System to use anything over 3GB. If you are running an old Windows XP or something that is 32-Bit you can put more than 3GB into the machine but the OS will only ever use 3GB.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Okay our Christmas Party has a Western theme to it and I was wondering: are cowboy/sheriff footwear really boots by default? What are my other non-boot options?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I am putting together a workshop on text analysis and am going to use two posts on the same topic/story from two different blogs on the furthest ends of the political spectrum as possible from each other for the demonstration. I don't read political blogs, and am wondering if anyone has any recent posts or specific blogs on either spectrum they could recommend that I skim for this?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Gils posted:

There's a saclopdia entry with a

working mirror.

The encyclopedia claims that it wasn't his mother after all, so it's slightly less awkward. But either way we have an mp3 of a real life phone conversation with the phrase "I'm...I'm from the internet."

My favorite part has always been the end where it's silent except for the bleeps and bloops of the internet.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

nesbit37 posted:

I am putting together a workshop on text analysis and am going to use two posts on the same topic/story from two different blogs on the furthest ends of the political spectrum as possible from each other for the demonstration. I don't read political blogs, and am wondering if anyone has any recent posts or specific blogs on either spectrum they could recommend that I skim for this?

A quick Google turned this up:
http://www.rightwingnews.com/uncategorized/the-50-most-popular-liberal-websites/
http://www.rightwingnews.com/uncategorized/the-50-most-popular-conservative-websites/

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

Ask in the rightwing media thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512233 They'll probably have some suggestions for the opposite end of the spectrum too.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

This was a recent thing that instantly sprung to mind:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/texas-moms-gun-control-meeting-disrupted-by-armed-protestors-photo

http://twitchy.com/2013/11/11/busted-thinkprogress-uses-deceptive-photo-to-make-gun-rights-activists-look-threatening/

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Disharmony posted:

Okay our Christmas Party has a Western theme to it and I was wondering: are cowboy/sheriff footwear really boots by default? What are my other non-boot options?

moccasins and feathers.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Disharmony posted:

Typically, when one thinks of the old west and cowboys specifically, they tend to think of boots when thinking of footwear. From the way you are phrasing the question it sounds like you don't want to wear cowboy boots (and I don't blame you). Boots are associated with cowboys because it's kind of what was worn in the West at the time.

It's not your only option though. If you think of an Old West Mayor-type look, it would probably involve dress shoes with spats. (Can't link pictures as I'm at work). The look is more Late 1800's East Coast/high society rather than "Old West" though.

The cheapest option would probably be to wear a pair of brown dress shoes and have the cuff of your jeans covering as far down as possible. Or maybe think like an old timey bartender: Striped shirt, suspenders, vest, slacks, dress shoes.

Do your holiday gatherings often include themes where you would dress in costume?

EDIT:

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

moccasins and feathers.

drat. That's a way better option than my idea.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

moccasins and feathers.

But then you have get a tomahawk and warpaint too, Chinese rail-worker might be the easiest option.

Is the price turning you away from cowboy boots? I bet thrift stores have some.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

CzarChasm posted:

Do your holiday gatherings often include themes where you would dress in costume?

EDIT:

Don't do this.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Vin BioEthanol posted:

But then you have get a tomahawk and warpaint too, Chinese rail-worker might be the easiest option.

Is the price turning you away from cowboy boots? I bet thrift stores have some.

Why stop there? Just grab some shoe polish and

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

CzarChasm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKI-tD0L18A

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ThatPazuzu posted:

How did we go from the War for Independence to having a positive relationship with the UK? I'm not asking for a full history of our diplomatic relationship but when did we start cooperating with the them again?

Basically they allied with our side hard in the Cold War, whereas previous superchums France had a more moderate, independent foreign policy. Time had already healed our wounds, but that's the origin of our 'special relationship' with the UK, as well as general mocking of France.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it possible for sunglasses to lose their polarization?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

hooah posted:

Is it possible for sunglasses to lose their polarization?

Depends on how much you paid for those sunglasses.

quote:

Most inexpensive polarized sunglasses have a thin film applied on one side of the lens. Many higher quality lenses have film laminated between two layers of lens material, preventing it from being scratched or rubbed off. In addition, the more dense the film is, the more polarization it provides.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-polarized-lenses.htm

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sieg posted:

Depends on how much you paid for those sunglasses.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-polarized-lenses.htm

~$90 Oakleys?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

hooah posted:

~$90 Oakleys?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

hooah posted:

~$90 Oakleys?

Oakley uses single layer lenses, and say they polarize at the molecular level. I have no idea how that works. So no, it can't scratch off if they are genuine Oakleys.

I have a hard time believing $90 polarized Oakleys exist, unless you are getting them through Oakley SI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

hooah posted:

~$90 Oakleys?

If they had crappy polarization you would notice it wearing off – it's usually almost like a sticker, it'll peel off in little bits and pieces, usually from the edge first. It wouldn't just magically lose its polarization.