Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

fuckin :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I think it's more :mad:

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Suits me just fine

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
If you don't enjoy "The Magnificent Ferengi," you don't enjoy life.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gau posted:

Quark out of water episode plus Iggy Pop. Your math checks out.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
http://textsfromtng.tumblr.com/page/20

Texts from Last Night + TNG screen shots. More fun that it has any right to be.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Tighclops posted:

ahahah holy gently caress, I know you're kidding around but this is the first time I've ever been accused of having no respect for the Canon. Usually I'm the nitpicky rear end in a top hat. I guess TrekBBS is still terrible? I must have gotten banned like 50 times from that place. I sometimes miss my old trolling persona "Fank Herb."

Pure sarcasm, my friend.

I still think the slavish adherence to continuity is what hobbled the franchise. Well, that and awful writing on Voyager.

Seriously, you take 3 years away from "the formula" and then watch Enterprise. It's a whole different show than it was before. Suddenly there's nuance and an absurd amount of internal continuity. But we just came off 23 seasons of "the pros" doing their thing so it looks like really bad writing when Enterprise fucks up or does something silly.

I always found it ironic that some of the biggest complaints about Enterprise involved "canon" that was based on a few throwaway lines in the other series and the non-canon chronologies (which I admittedly ate up as a kid).

My wife and I have been watching through the series and there really have only been a handful of episodes we haven't enjoyed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vagabundo posted:

It's funny how there's a very vocal section of the posters on here who will go into a spittle-flying rage over the recent Star Trek movies, but will then just as quickly leap to the defence of Generations or Final Frontier, because apparently a couple of bits of corn vindicates the steaming pile of poo poo they were found in if there's been enough time between the present and whenever the movie was released.

I like both JJTrek movies and The Final Frontier. :unsmith:

Really, though, the only Trek movies I just can't sit through are III and Nemesis. First Contact and The Voyage Home are near the bottom of the pile, too.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Otisburg posted:

Quark out of water episode plus Iggy Pop. Your math checks out.

Also has Jeffery Combs.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

I like both JJTrek movies and The Final Frontier. :unsmith:

Really, though, the only Trek movies I just can't sit through are III and Nemesis. First Contact and The Voyage Home are near the bottom of the pile, too.

I know you've got a beef with the way Leonard Nimoy directs, but what makes First Contact more notably bad than Insurrection for you?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

New Trek Pitch: Grumpy Alien teams up with Scary Eyes Lady from the first movie and they travel around the galaxy, meeting people with upsetting faces.

Fake edit: Goddamn, there was actually an alien in Trek '09 named Anschluss?! Finally, something to submit to jjabramsisasecretnazi.tumblr.com!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Great_Gerbil posted:

Pure sarcasm, my friend.

I still think the slavish adherence to continuity is what hobbled the franchise. Well, that and awful writing on Voyager.

Seriously, you take 3 years away from "the formula" and then watch Enterprise. It's a whole different show than it was before. Suddenly there's nuance and an absurd amount of internal continuity. But we just came off 23 seasons of "the pros" doing their thing so it looks like really bad writing when Enterprise fucks up or does something silly.

I always found it ironic that some of the biggest complaints about Enterprise involved "canon" that was based on a few throwaway lines in the other series and the non-canon chronologies (which I admittedly ate up as a kid).

My wife and I have been watching through the series and there really have only been a handful of episodes we haven't enjoyed.

I think the biggest complaints about canon were basically "where romulans, these squishy guys/lizard people suck" and "why is everything only superficially different than Voyager which was boring" until the last season, where Coto embraced the premise and things suddenly got interesting. Time has definitely softened my view on the show, but overall it seems to waver between boring and desperation for me. I wish they had gotten a full 7 seasons like the other shows, ENT was doing more to earn it's place near the end than Voyager had during it's whole run. I also really liked the three-part format for telling more complex stories, they should have done that from the very start.

Also for all the complaints I had at the time it aired, the art direction in Enterprise is far more pleasant to look at than most things in JJTrek.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Gau posted:

I was thinking about the magnificent ferengi the other day. I bet the ferengi would be all over the idea of a western.

Big open spaces and lots of new opportunities to make cash.

I would love to see "For only a few Quatloos more." Especially if the title is said at some point by Nog's actor.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Skeesix posted:

I was thinking about the magnificent ferengi the other day. I bet the ferengi would be all over the idea of a western.

Big open spaces and lots of new opportunities to make cash.

I would love to see "For only a few Quatloos more." Especially if the title is said at some point by Nog's actor.

The Good, the Bad, and the Lobeless.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Is there a reason to go slower than warp 9? There doesn't seem to be any downside whatsoever to it in the TNG/DS9/VOY era. High speeds used to really stress the engines in Enterprise and TOS, but I don't see that being much of an issue most of the time in the other shows; it almost seems like there's an arbitrary selection of a warp factor when they set out.

v v Yeah, that's all I could think of, and it seems to have been heavily shrugged off. v v

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 14, 2013

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Is there a reason to go slower than warp 9? There doesn't seem to be any downside whatsoever to it in the TNG/DS9/VOY era. High speeds used to really stress the engines in Enterprise and TOS, but I don't see that being much of an issue most of the time in the other shows; it almost seems like there's an arbitrary selection of a warp factor when they set out.

It causes space global warming (except only in that one episode, really).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Warp 9 stresses the engines, it's not like "oh holy gently caress we're gonna blow up in 12 hours" but I'm pretty sure if they went Warp 9 everywhere they'd have to overhaul the engines a lot more often.

edit: also probably less fuel efficient

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If you tilt the nacelles, then you can Warp 9 without worrying about space global warming.

Because what Star Trek needs is complicated machines with even more points of failure.

Actually, did they ever do a Voyager episode where one nacelle tilted but the other didn't and they tried to warp anyway?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

It's like in cricket. If you keep on alternating between your two fast bowlers, space gets used to what you're doing and Q shows up and there was that episode with the Ferengi in the delta quadrant where there's this perfect zoom on them saying "Grand Nagus?" and then you go warp 5 sometimes. Help.

Thwomp posted:

Actually, did they ever do a Voyager episode where one nacelle tilted but the other didn't and they tried to warp anyway?
I want to see Voyager go spinning off into warp really badly now.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Whalley posted:

This would nicely increase the odds of Voyager smashing into an astral body at high-warp, which is of course a positive outcome to any hypothetical.

Thwomp posted:

Here's another high Trek concept that's brought to its knees when you think about it: Instead of mass ship formations, why don't you just make kinetic impactors with warp-9 drives on them? Or just runabout-sized warp-9 capable torpedoes and fire them off when wars need fighting?

War is declared. Your planet launches a thousand warp-fleches and a thousand anti-warp-fleche-flechettes. So do they. You desperately hope you have enough of each to blow the other fucker up and not get blown up. You'll find out in a few days. Meanwhile, keep replicating new missiles!

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 14, 2013

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

This would nicely increase the odds of Voyager smashing into an astral body at high-warp, which is of course a positive outcome to any hypothetical.

Here's another high Trek concept that's brought to its knees when you think about it: Instead of mass ship formations, why don't you just make kinetic impactors with warp-9 drives on them? Or just runabout-sized warp-9 capable torpedoes and fire them off when wars need fighting?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Whalley posted:

It's like in cricket. If you keep on alternating between your two fast bowlers, space gets used to what you're doing and Q shows up and there was that episode with the Ferengi in the delta quadrant where there's this perfect zoom on them saying "Grand Nagus?" and then you go warp 5 sometimes. Help.

Well, there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8HccXIseTE

DRIFTING. IN SPACE! :woop:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Whalley posted:

It's like in cricket. If you keep on alternating between your two fast bowlers,

Hey bringing up cricket and rugby in this thread is my job, you bastard.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Thwomp posted:

Just about every space opera setting doesn't make sense if you pick at it long enough.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Tighclops posted:

I think the biggest complaints about canon were basically "where romulans, these squishy guys/lizard people suck" and "why is everything only superficially different than Voyager which was boring" until the last season, where Coto embraced the premise and things suddenly got interesting. Time has definitely softened my view on the show, but overall it seems to waver between boring and desperation for me. I wish they had gotten a full 7 seasons like the other shows, ENT was doing more to earn it's place near the end than Voyager had during it's whole run. I also really liked the three-part format for telling more complex stories, they should have done that from the very start.

Also for all the complaints I had at the time it aired, the art direction in Enterprise is far more pleasant to look at than most things in JJTrek.

The cool thing about the first two seasons of Enterprise are that they really are stumbling around out there. Archer is a Captain America, gung-ho, believe in the mission type.

It's great because every time T'Pol challenges Archer you side a little less with Archer each time.

The third season is good for different reasons.

And the fourth season is great. We finally have a captain and crew that's matured, made hard decisions, and learned what they're supposed to do out there. It finally gets to the meat of the premise after earning its wings in the first 3 seasons, IMO.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thwomp posted:

Warp drive works by producing a space distortion so you are effectively going faster than light but it's really more like your bubble of normal space is remaining still but is moving by going faster than light in practice.

Or something. Basically you are not actually literally going at a velocity greater than light, you're using trickery.

Also photon torpedoes already have baby warp drives on them.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think it was in the last thread that we talked about this, but you don't even need warp capable missiles. Full impulse is (depending on the era/source) between 0.3C and 0.6C, just a regular shuttle going full impulse and smashing into the surface would render a planet uninhabitable.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Didn't Enterprise set up like to make a big deal out of the first photon torpedo fired in anger literally bouncing off the enemy shields and exploding like a wet fart? I seem to remember that being a cute bit.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Otisburg posted:

Didn't Enterprise set up like to make a big deal out of the first photon torpedo fired in anger literally bouncing off the enemy shields and exploding like a wet fart? I seem to remember that being a cute bit.

That wasn't a photon torpedo, that was like a old WW2 shell or something else embarrassingly out dated.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
It was pretty much a rocket.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Now I kind of want to look this up to get more context but can't seem to find it.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Neelix is totally ruining this episode of Bones I'm watching.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Otisburg posted:

Now I kind of want to look this up to get more context but can't seem to find it.

In season 1 and 2 Enterprise used conventional explosive missiles with rocketry, which were hilariously easy to shoot down by the enemies.

At some point they got a good look at a derelict Klingon ship with photons and when they upgraded the ship in season 3 they stole the design.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 15, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

MikeJF posted:

In season 1 and 2 Enterprise used conventional explosive missiles with rocketry, which were hilariously easy to shoot down by the enemies.

At some point they got a good look at a derelict Klingon ship with photons and when they upgraded the ship in season 3 they stole the design.

That's actually a cool idea.

I like the idea that humans came up with some tech independantly but a lot of stuff got stolen/appropriated/traded/gifted/espionaged.

Like non-retarded Pakleds

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Thwomp posted:

That was a Voyager episode. B'elanna has to reprogram an unmanned Cardassian suicide missile ship that got zapped by the Caretaker and is going to hit a populated Delta Quadrant planet. I think it was one of the good episodes, kind of a cross between 2001 and Dark Star.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 15, 2013

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nessus posted:

Warp drive works by producing a space distortion so you are effectively going faster than light but it's really more like your bubble of normal space is remaining still but is moving by going faster than light in practice.

I liked that STID finally had someone try to knock someone else out of the warp bubble.

I mean like that's the most obvious possible course of action when engaging an enemy at warp.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Otisburg posted:

I like the idea that humans came up with some tech independantly but a lot of stuff got stolen/appropriated/traded/gifted/espionaged.

I enjoyed that it was implied they eventually got shields from the Andorians instead of the polarized hull plating that was, admittedly, functionally the same as raising shields but seemed to give out faster.

Also tractor beams from the Vulcans.

ETA

Sash! posted:

I liked that STID finally had someone try to knock someone else out of the warp bubble.

I mean like that's the most obvious possible course of action when engaging an enemy at warp.

I really like that tech in the Abramsverse seems to have progressed down a different technological path than the prime universe. Weaker sensors, larger ships, less reliance on transporters, etc.

Great_Gerbil fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 15, 2013

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Count Chocula posted:

What's stopping The Founders from just being The Thing? Don't say 'SFX budget' since The Thing was mostly practical.

Well, the Thing consumed its victims. If the Founders did that we wouldn't have gotten those prison planet episodes. I think we came out ahead on that one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Great_Gerbil posted:

I enjoyed that it was implied they eventually got shields from the Andorians instead of the polarized hull plating that was, admittedly, functionally the same as raising shields but seemed to give out faster.

I'd always wished they'd put various elements of the 1701 onto the other founders. Like say have Andorian ships built with the TOS white hull material and have Tellarite ships with an engineering section, and so on.

Great_Gerbil posted:

I really like that tech in the Abramsverse seems to have progressed down a different technological path than the prime universe. Weaker sensors, larger ships, less reliance on transporters, etc.

JJ Abrams claims that the sensor scans of the Narada dramatically changed their technological development.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Otisburg posted:

Yeah that's kind of how it works in the real world. See also the Soviet atomic bomb.

• Locked thread