Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Coolguye posted:

Gents, I was in Los Angeles all of last week and did not get a chance to even look at this thread during my time out. I must say, catching up and seeing so many people spouting 'gently caress THIN MEN' has put a gigantic smile on my face and I love every one of you that's shared your pain here.

On Classic MECs with the grenade launcher is wonderful - moreso if you have alien grenades. A guaranteed five damage, pin-point mortar that can fire from outside Thin Men activation range? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Month 3, righto time to build 3 satellites. Check

Council mission pops up where I decide not to take engineers because I need the panic reduction elsewhere.

15 days to go, lets build the 3rd Uplink. 19 Engineers. I have 19 engineers and I need 20.

I am numb. Going to lose 2 countries minimum, probably 3.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

dud root posted:

Council mission pops up where I decide not to take engineers because I need the panic reduction elsewhere.

15 days to go, lets build the 3rd Uplink. 19 Engineers. I have 19 engineers and I need 20.

I wish you could just buy engineers and scientists directly sometimes.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you complete Slingshot does it lock out Progeny content? I'm into July at this point and haven't had anything from the latter come up. I've run about seven or so EXALT operations (ALL resulted in a single country being discarded - I have 14 in the Council :argh:) so far, hrmph.

Lotish posted:

Workshops. :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

dud root posted:

This is why you wanna build the uplinks ahead of time too.

Quick, build a workshop!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Demiurge4 posted:

Someone mentioned several pages back they'd pay for a posh British accent and I totally agree.

Once again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_OQR5EjPDk

Hilariously my graphics card seems to be dying just hours before EW releases here :xcom:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I always shave my psychics. Maybe it's all the X-Men comics I read as a kid but I want my boys and girls with brain powers to have clean heads.

Plus it helps me pick them out in a crowd.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

On Classic MECs with the grenade launcher is wonderful - moreso if you have alien grenades. A guaranteed five damage, pin-point mortar that can fire from outside Thin Men activation range? :allears:
Wait, the grenade launcher upgrades when you get alien grenades? That's pretty cool, and I don't know why I thought they wouldn't.

And I haven't had a chance to try out resto mist yet. The three missions I've carted that MEC suit around, nobody's gotten injured. :argh: Anyone want to give me a summary of how well it works?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Lotish posted:

I'm pretty sure that engineer requirements and rewards are more or less intentionally designed so that your are 1-2 short of the next tier you want.
Specifically for uplinks, you will be one short unless you build a workshop or get two engineer rewards in the first month, and usually for the next few months as well. For subsequent months, you may make up the difference with country rewards, which is a potential reason to cover asia earlier than you might otherwise since its coverage bonus doesn't kick in till later and the monetary rewards are not that great.

I like the way that works out since its an additional thing to consider in base building, satellite coverage, and abduction mission choice. For the missions choice, it also can have tension against panic management.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Speedball posted:

I always shave my psychics. Maybe it's all the X-Men comics I read as a kid but I want my boys and girls with brain powers to have clean heads.

Plus it helps me pick them out in a crowd.

What up bald psychic buddy. :respek:

Psychics are bald and purple, MECs have black/yellow paint jobs like a bulldozer, mutants don't have helmets, assaults are red, supports are white, heavies are green and snipers are black. My soldiers must be at their most fabulous when they're representing earth.

Ravenfood posted:

Wait, the grenade launcher upgrades when you get alien grenades? That's pretty cool, and I don't know why I thought they wouldn't.

Yeah, though you need to get the Foundry unlock. The sound, graphics and damage all update when it goes through. Simply having the grenades from live captures isn't enough.

vvv - EXALT keep sabotaging me at the end of the month. Uh, enjoy those six credits left over I guess?

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 14, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

Hilariously my graphics card seems to be dying just hours before EW releases here :xcom:

EXALT sabotage!

Numbnuts
May 20, 2012

Victory for Earth

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
I've looked back several pages but am lost, and I couldn't follow the thread for a few days either...

is this worth getting? Are you all happy with it? Or is it a lovely bugfest like the first one was?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can't seem to start my game or get the 7 GB download to begin- I did mod my game a bit with Toolboks, could that be the cause? Do I need to uninstall then reinstall everything?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Azmodaii posted:

I've looked back several pages but am lost, and I couldn't follow the thread for a few days either...

is this worth getting? Are you all happy with it? Or is it a lovely bugfest like the first one was?

Everyone seems pretty happy with it, and it's still kinda buggy but much less so.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
MEC Troopers have done terrible, terrible things to my capacity for collateral damage. I basically just roll through maps exploding literally everything now.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Captain Oblivious posted:

MEC Troopers have done terrible, terrible things to my capacity for collateral damage. I basically just roll through maps exploding literally everything now.

Yeah, I don't think I can ever go back, really. Maybe next time I'll rush gene mods instead and see how that works out early on.

Edgecase
Dec 7, 2009

Emong posted:

Everyone seems pretty happy with it, and it's still kinda buggy but much less so.

It's only a few days in, but multiplayer (the real "lovely bugfest" of the original game) definitely seems to have improved netcode. Other UI-related things like poison targeting through walls and such are still present, so if that bothered you, still stay away from it.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
The shooting through walls thing never really bothered me, I always just pretended they were shooting around the walls while in cover or something and that the animations were missing for it, so in my head the clipping was just compensation for a lack of animation.

What bothered me was the random spawning of enemies in the undiscovered areas, I remember 3-4 months into the first game there was a game breaking bug to do with this and I never touched it since then.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Took a break for dinner. Came back and now my 360 hard locks while loading my save just as I was about to finish the battleship mission! I don't make it a habit to save scum so my previous save is before I even get the mission. God drat it that mission was taking forever and now I have to do it again and it won't be blind since I know what to do.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Took a break for dinner. Came back and now my 360 hard locks while loading my save just as I was about to finish the battleship mission! I don't make it a habit to save scum so my previous save is before I even get the mission. God drat it that mission was taking forever and now I have to do it again and it won't be blind since I know what to do.
Enable auto-saves dawg

(Unless the 360 version doesn't have that option then welp)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Zore posted:

'Mechtoid- Plasma minicannon' accounts for waaaaaay more of my deaths than Thin Men.

If blueshirts showed up on the wall, I'd have three of them that said "Drunk Heavy - Rocket" from my base defense mission. He also put my MEC into critical status, luckily I killed the last Cyberdisk a turn before he bled out. My only guy with a med kit was bugged and stuck hovering over a ladder back in the central command area. And of course he was my only guy with a plasma weapon. That base defense mission loving sucked.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Okay guys I finally got this installed and started a new classic ironman and researched the goo so do I focus on making RoboCops or X-Men first?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Woof, once they're worth giving gene mods to, you need to give bone marrow regeneration to everyone. With all the stuff that keeps getting thrown at you now, anything that cuts their recovery time by 2/3rds and helps them regen on the battlefield is worth it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Azmodaii posted:

I feel like Exalt are really poorly implemented and overall a bad addition to the game, but I'm positive on everything else it adds or changes. The new maps are really great, I enjoy the MECs and Gene modding, I like the larger variety in items you can bring with you on missions, I like the new alien enemies.

Emong posted:

I still won't ever play it on Ironman just because there are still too many potentially game ruining bugs. My first major one was a council mission where instead of dropping in and going into overwatch, some thin men were just materializing into the midst of my squad (indoors, even!) and instantly shooting, not going into overwatch. One did that, killed the VIP, and caused a panic chain that resulted in a squad wipe. So ridiculous buggy bullshit like that can still happen.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Snipers benefit a ton from the legs mod if they also have the height advantage eyes mod. Always going for health regen isn't necessarily a good idea. You almost always want the second heart over the other the other chest option though. Again, snipers are the possible exception.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Speedball posted:

Woof, once they're worth giving gene mods to, you need to give bone marrow regeneration to everyone. With all the stuff that keeps getting thrown at you now, anything that cuts their recovery time by 2/3rds and helps them regen on the battlefield is worth it.

Secondary Heart makes it functionally impossible to lose anyone high value unless the entire mission goes to hell. Combine those two mods and any real risk of your elites getting killed or taken out of action for extended periods of time goes out the window.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kanos posted:

Secondary Heart makes it functionally impossible to lose anyone high value unless the entire mission goes to hell. Combine those two mods and any real risk of your elites getting killed or taken out of action for extended periods of time goes out the window.

You just need to remember to bring enough medkits to stabilize them, though!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

EXALT sure does throw a lot of people at you :stare:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

quiggy stardust posted:

EXALT sure does throw a lot of people at you :stare:

Yeah, they do.

I'm starting to think of EXALT as the Cobra to XCOM's G.I. Joe. Hee hee haw haw!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

drat, I didn't know they made another map for the alien base. That really threw me off my game, does anyone know how many variations there are, or is it only the one extra (or have they just replaced the map)?

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Any thoughts on early game strategy?

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
They must use the original XCOM strategy of throwing 14 ill-equipped rookies into every mission instead of the more modern approach.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Speedball posted:

Yeah, they do.

I'm starting to think of EXALT as the Cobra to XCOM's G.I. Joe. Hee hee haw haw!

This analogy is extremely apt, right down to EXALT being staffed by a bunch of worthless faceless goons who can't accomplish anything and X-Com being staffed by a bunch of ultraspecialized super troopers.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So should I play on classic or normal for Enemy Within? Beat normal on Unknown with one casualty pretty easily last year, might be a bit rusty and some aspects of Within sound quite tough on classic, kinda want to give it a go though.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

thebardyspoon posted:

So should I play on classic or normal for Enemy Within? Beat normal on Unknown with one casualty pretty easily last year, might be a bit rusty and some aspects of Within sound quite tough on classic, kinda want to give it a go though.

Classic. Normal cheats for you. Just hold the line for the first two months and keep rushing satellites. The new stuff really comes in mid-game, if you try for it too early you might not get enough satellites up and lose a lot of countries.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

I'm doing normal for my first play through to see everything, but it's a bit more difficult than the old normal (or maybe I'm just lovely at this game after not playing forever). Classic would make certain missions auto-skip for me, like the Newfie one.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Classic. Normal cheats for you. Just hold the line for the first two months and keep rushing satellites. The new stuff really comes in mid-game, if you try for it too early you might not get enough satellites up and lose a lot of countries.

My games where I have rushed a MEC out have gone a lot better than rushing lasers, fwiw.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I feel like the flamer MECs are more useful early game, especially now that floaters are actually a sentient threat. Did anyone else notice that floaters actually move more intelligently now and use their hover+height bonus correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Eej posted:

My games where I have rushed a MEC out have gone a lot better than rushing lasers, fwiw.

This made the early game in classic really easy for me. It seems like they get a crazy early advantage that slowly levels off.

• Locked thread