Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Diplomatic Immunity posted:

Hearing about Pokemon Bank makes me want to join the impeding rush of prior gen pokemon that'll soon be flooding battles/trades.

Started looking for a cheap copy of Black 2 on eBay (haven't played any Gen V games). I see some copies listed being sold with all previous pokemon, including event pokemon. These are clearly hacks right? If used to breed, would those pokemon be okay?

Well it depends, but yes. I'm sure most of them are hacked cartridges. I mean if you used a 6-IV ditto that you sent over from the bank I'm fairly certain that the offspring would be considered legitimate. But then again the bank isn't out yet so we can't say for certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Geostomp posted:

Pyroar's line is probably better off with it than Rivalry.

Pyroar gets Moxie has its HA though, which is a hundred times better than either of those.

VVV Well that's loving dumb.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 14, 2013

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Internet Kraken posted:

Pyroar gets Moxie has its HA though, which is a hundred times better than either of those.

Pyroar also has base 68 Attack compared to base 109 Special Attack.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ChibiSoma posted:

Luvdisc's shot in Super Training is power-type, not rapid-type like I figured it'd be. :psyduck: Usually all the cutesy Pokemon get rapid-type shots, but nope. Luvdisc has apparently been working out at the gym.

The only rapid-fire charge shot I've seen is Vespiquen. It's such a weird shot...

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Solumin posted:

The only rapid-fire charge shot I've seen is Vespiquen. It's such a weird shot...

Vivillon gets rapid-fire charge shots.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zoness posted:

Running Weavile, Glaceon, and Umbreon together makes you really vulnerable to fighting, in addition to the horrible fire weakness Weavile, Glaceon, and Scizor. Is this for singles, doubles, or rotation battles? (I'm much worse at evaluating things that aren't meant for Singles).

Glaceon on particular is really hard to find a niche for, and you don't really have a fire switchin because Ampharos won't become M-Ampharos until it gets an active turn although my assumption is that your goal would be to run M-Gardevoir because that would give you two things that have at least 100 base speed.

Anyway, I'd replace Glaceon with Vaporeon or Gastrodon and work up from there.

It's not really for anything, they're just some of my favorites. I am wondering how to get further in single battles though since I'd like a Razor Claw for Sneasel. So far I've been running Aegislash/Pangoro/Delphox and it's been okay, but I still peter out around battle 12 or so.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm sure it's old news, but I had no idea Archen was available in the Glittering Cave.

EDIT: And it's female, even. Nature's a bit shite, alas. Maybe I can breed it or something.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 14, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
For normal singles, just about any fully evolved team with good type coverage should be able to hit 20 and clear the chantelaine.

For super singles, a lineup of ev-trained support + 2 sweepers works pretty well. I got to 43 running a team like that before I managed to get my M-Scizor ko'd by crit Earthquakes from a Garchomp :smith:.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 14, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of Scizor, have they put in an alternative to trade-evolution yet? I like my Scyther and want him to evolve but I don't want to trade him off to some random rear end in a top hat in Spain :smith:

Also, have we figured out what cities/places correspond to what parts of Europe? I know the one with rocks and poo poo is supposed to be Stonehenge, at least, and Lumiose is obviously Paris.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of Scizor, have they put in an alternative to trade-evolution yet? I like my Scyther and want him to evolve but I don't want to trade him off to some random rear end in a top hat in Spain :smith:

You could always go here. People do trade evo requests all the time, and I've never heard of anyone running off with your buddy. It's how I got my rockin' Gengar.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Zoness posted:

For super singles, a lineup of ev-trained support + 2 sweepers works pretty well. I got to 43 running a team like that before I managed to get my M-Scizor ko'd by crit Earthquakes from a Garchomp :smith:.

I got to 42 with Dragonite, Ferrothorn, Greninja. Then they sent out a Jolteon, hit all 3 of my pokemon with Swagger, and I continued to hit myself in the face until I lost.

I did no damage to their team that fight.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Solartide posted:

I got to 42 with Dragonite, Ferrothorn, Greninja. Then they sent out a Jolteon, hit all 3 of my pokemon with Swagger, and I continued to hit myself in the face until I lost.

I did no damage to their team that fight.

Swagger (and Yawn) is one of the reasons I run an Espeon (Magic Bounce :getin:) but yeah, it's really frustrating sometimes. Substitute + Lum Berry on a sweeper with good self-recovery is also not a bad idea.

The worst near-loss I've had was a 6-turn freeze on my Togekiss though. Blizzard was only hitting for 25% but it wasn't missing!

Just remember: if anything isn't a 100% chance to happen in the Maison be prepared for the worst. And if you ever think "the only way this could go badly is if it crits again", you will get crit again.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 14, 2013

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
My 42 steak was snapped by a loving scarf electrode using thunder

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I just got Pokemon X after years of not playing (I think the last one I played was Gold/Silver) and I barely understand half of what's going on in this thread. :psyduck:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

gmq posted:

I just got Pokemon X after years of not playing (I think the last one I played was Gold/Silver) and I barely understand half of what's going on in this thread. :psyduck:

Half of the discussion in this thread is about breeding and competitive battling, both of which are almost completely unconnected with the main game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Pollyanna posted:

Also, have we figured out what cities/places correspond to what parts of Europe? I know the one with rocks and poo poo is supposed to be Stonehenge, at least, and Lumiose is obviously Paris.

It's not Europe, it's just France. I've spent a good deal of time in France, and I can tell you, Kalos is pretty much 1:1 with northwest France. Lumiose is Paris, as you said. Parfum Palace is Versaiiles, the Battle Chateau is Chenonceau, Shabboneau Castle is Cheverny, the Tower of Mastery is Mont Saint-Michel, etc. Pretty much every locale has a real-life counterpart in France. Even the architecture is similar. It's really nifty.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Inudeku posted:

My 42 steak was snapped by a loving scarf electrode using thunder

I had a pretty aggravating streak breaker to a Stunfisk that was able to one shot 2 of my team members, (it was slower but focus banded twice) then paralyzed my remaining Scizor, which immobilized him twice. It wouldn't have been as bad if it wasn't Stunfisk...

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Silver Falcon posted:

It's not Europe, it's just France. I've spent a good deal of time in France, and I can tell you, Kalos is pretty much 1:1 with northwest France. Lumiose is Paris, as you said. Parfum Palace is Versaiiles, the Battle Chateau is Chenonceau, Shabboneau Castle is Cheverny, the Tower of Mastery is Mont Saint-Michel, etc. Pretty much every locale has a real-life counterpart in France. Even the architecture is similar. It's really nifty.

And when you play it in French, there are even more similarities. The NW corner has Breton heritage (that Menhir? It's the one Obélix carries around, isn't it?), and the TMG is Train à Méga Vitesse.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Cichlidae posted:

And when you play it in French, there are even more similarities. The NW corner has Breton heritage (that Menhir? It's the one Obélix carries around, isn't it?), and the TMG is Train à Méga Vitesse.

I'm pretty sure Kiloude/Southern Kalos is supposed to be Cannes as well but I may be wrong.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Although I managed to win in the end, my battle maison team of Garchomp, Rotom-W and Kangaskhan was almost taken down by a Weezing with Stockpile, Will o Wisp, Toxic and Rest equipped with a chesto berry.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Starsnostars posted:

Although I managed to win in the end, my battle maison team of Garchomp, Rotom-W and Kangaskhan was almost taken down by a Weezing with Stockpile, Will o Wisp, Toxic and Rest equipped with a chesto berry.

Bulky Steel types are almost necessary to deal with all the stall shenanigans the Maison throws at you imo

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Bulky Steel types are almost necessary to deal with all the stall shenanigans the Maison throws at you imo

I've always found sweepers to be the way to go mostly because you do not want to give the npcs a chance to hit you. They will gently caress you over given the chance. Hence why my entire team was wrecked by a scarfed Braviary that brave birded my entire team critting two of them.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Is there a good list anywhere of specific pokèmon movesets I should tutor or breed on before transferring?

Defog on every pokemon that can learn it if you still have the Gen 4 games. It took the bastards that long to make it worth using and now I have to breed a bunch of Piplup in Gen 4.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

What is the best way to level up these level 1 breeders to 50 for the Maison?

So far I've been equipping the lucky egg, using exp. share, exp. o-power, and doing Le Wow restaurant. Are there any quicker methods?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

khysanth posted:

So far I've been equipping the lucky egg, using exp. share, exp. o-power, and doing Le Wow restaurant. Are there any quicker methods?

Get a couple hearts on Pokemon Amie with the Pokemon you're trying to raise. I think starting with 3 hearts, they get a boost to experience. Aside from that, I think Le Wow is the fastest. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Silver Falcon posted:

drat, you're right. It's even shaped almost exactly the same. My bad :v:

Still, there's hope for other regions showing up!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

ChaosArgate posted:

Get a couple hearts on Pokemon Amie with the Pokemon you're trying to raise. I think starting with 3 hearts, they get a boost to experience. Aside from that, I think Le Wow is the fastest. :v:

Oooo I forgot about Amie. I haven't really touched it yet but I see people splooshing about it in this thread. Best way to get those 3 hearts?

(I'm at work and live vicariously through this thread all day)

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Pure dumb luck. Was hatching some eggs for someone in the trading thread. He has 4 perfect IVs in HP, Attack, Defense and Special Defense. Kind of a shame, cause I did just hatch and EV train a new one to replace my other one that was missing the SpD IV and Ice Shard but I guess he's getting replaced too. Does anyone around here wanna trade fully EV trained/raised Pokemon?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Diplomatic Immunity posted:

Hearing about Pokemon Bank makes me want to join the impeding rush of prior gen pokemon that'll soon be flooding battles/trades.

Started looking for a cheap copy of Black 2 on eBay (haven't played any Gen V games). I see some copies listed being sold with all previous pokemon, including event pokemon. These are clearly hacks right? If used to breed, would those pokemon be okay?

Don't take the risk of buying Pokemon games used just to save a few bucks. It is very common to encounter bootlegged copies of the game that, among other things, won't last as long as legit carts and will have limited (possibly no) connectivity with other carts making it hard or impossible to trade or transfer stuff from prior or future generations. You can easily find copies of BW2 still in most major retail store. Amazon has it for 26.91 with free shipping if you have Prime.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

khysanth posted:

Oooo I forgot about Amie. I haven't really touched it yet but I see people splooshing about it in this thread. Best way to get those 3 hearts?

(I'm at work and live vicariously through this thread all day)

1. Give Target Pokemon cupcakes until it will not eat any more.
2. Pet Target Pokemon until musical note appears.
3. Play Head-it three times to return Target Pokemon's hunger back to 0, and also to get more cupcakes.
4. ???
5. Repeat ad infinitum.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Does anyone around here wanna trade fully EV trained/raised Pokemon?

I'll trade for that!

I have an Adamant fully-trained Tyrantrum with the elemental fangs and Dragon Dance as egg moves. It's has an imperfect sp.def stat because I got impatient but that's not too crucial for his already pitiful sp.def. Decided I wanted to re-breed for Jolly and he has no home at the moment.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Pyroi posted:

1. Give Target Pokemon cupcakes until it will not eat any more.
2. Pet Target Pokemon until musical note appears.
3. Play Head-it three times to return Target Pokemon's hunger back to 0, and also to get more cupcakes.
4. ???
5. Repeat ad infinitum.

We have successfully deduced the most efficient use of love.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

khysanth posted:

Kill Audinos and Chanseys on the friend safari? :v:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Half of the discussion in this thread is about breeding and competitive battling, both of which are almost completely unconnected with the main game.

Does the game ever explain those (or EVs) or it's more of a meta hardcore fan thing?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
So does Pokerus spread over time or randomly after each battle?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

At a high enough level, the Battle Chateau starts having furisode girls who have three level 65 Audinos. Add a Lucky Egg and the Exp. + O-Power, and that will get one guy from level 1 to nearly level 50 in a single battle. Obviously you'll need to have someone else do the fighting, unless the thing being leveled is a ghost, in which case teach it Curse and watch them all die while being unable to touch you.

Choray
Oct 31, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

We have successfully deduced the most efficient use of love.

For maximum efficiency if you don't need the puffs, just let the drat yarn fall and your idiot attention-starved pokemon will have had fun all the same.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
So. Showdown time?
Shortest battle log ever.
"Opponent sent out Manectric.
Go, IronPrick (Excadrill)
Mancectric Mega-Evolved!
Excadrill's attack fell!
Excadrill used Earthquake!
Mega Manectric fainted!
Opponent forfeits."

:psyduck: If Mega Manectric is that clutch maybe you shouldn't keep him in versus Excadrill?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Classtoise posted:

:psyduck: If Mega Manectric is that clutch maybe you shouldn't keep him in versus Excadrill?

Maybe he thought the attack drop would let him live? I'm not sure what he was expecting to do from there, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
35 boxes of bergmites hatched (1050 pokemon) and no shiny. Can't get my nintendo wifi dongle to work for the pokechecker because gently caress this horrible streak :ohdear:

• Locked thread