Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Glad to know that T-Mobile's customer support lines, or at least the lady I spoke to, are clueless about their 200MB BYOD promotion. I got my nano sim today and decided to pop it in and give it a shot. No Service the iPad says. Figured I should call T-Mobile and activate the sim.

The lady was trying to tell me I needed my credit ran and that I needed to open a voice plan to make use of the promotion. This obviously contradicted all the crap we've been hearing about the promotion what with the CEO saying they goofed and there should be no extra requirements as long as you bring your own device. Told the lady no way and that if I had problems, I'd call back. Did a little research more online and all you need to do is pop in the sim and do a power cycle. Once you're back in, open up Safari and it should automatically bring you to a T-Mobile activation page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

averox posted:

Glad to know that T-Mobile's customer support lines, or at least the lady I spoke to, are clueless about their 200MB BYOD promotion. I got my nano sim today and decided to pop it in and give it a shot. No Service the iPad says. Figured I should call T-Mobile and activate the sim.

The lady was trying to tell me I needed my credit ran and that I needed to open a voice plan to make use of the promotion. This obviously contradicted all the crap we've been hearing about the promotion what with the CEO saying they goofed and there should be no extra requirements as long as you bring your own device. Told the lady no way and that if I had problems, I'd call back. Did a little research more online and all you need to do is pop in the sim and do a power cycle. Once you're back in, open up Safari and it should automatically bring you to a T-Mobile activation page.

Did you just get the SIM at a T-Mobile store? And didn't open an account or anything?

I'm a Canadian who frequently travels to the USA - hoping I can get myself onto this tablet plan of theirs for travel-data-goodness :)

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

dexter6 posted:

OK. Call me Timb but...

Does anyone else's Mini Retina screen seem to have really lovely colors? Holding it against my iPad 3 Retina or my iPhone 5s, the greens and reds looks particularly bad.

Or is it just me?

Late, but you have a good eye for color.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

vaginal culture posted:

Why would anyone need a screen protector on an ipad? I've had like 4 iphones, 2 ipads now and never had a scratch on any of their screens. Had my phone in the same pocket as my keys, coins, etc. as well.

Hello from the construction industry where everything you own will get dirty and hosed up if you don't have some form of cover/protection.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Useful tool for checking stock for in-store pickup: http://www.seaturtle.org/idevice/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pissingintowind posted:

Useful tool for checking stock for in-store pickup: http://www.seaturtle.org/idevice/
They'll get a cease and desist soon enough.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They'll get a cease and desist soon enough.

Sorry for the one word reply, but why? Seems like it's useful and wouldn't Apple want people to know where the stock is?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pissingintowind posted:

Sorry for the one word reply, but why?
Because the website that was doing this for iPhones got shut down last week. As to why Apple would do it: who knows?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's violating Apple's terms of use of their website. They already had one site taken down for it.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Lexicon posted:

Did you just get the SIM at a T-Mobile store? And didn't open an account or anything?

I'm a Canadian who frequently travels to the USA - hoping I can get myself onto this tablet plan of theirs for travel-data-goodness :)

I just went into a T-Mobile store, paid $10 plus tax for a "SIM kit" and gave them my name, email, and a PIN number. The employee activated the SIM and associated it with my device's IMEI and then wrote down a website to visit once I put the SIM in. I put it in, cycled airplane mode on/off, and went to the website. It activated easily and works great.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

Nihiliste posted:

That makes sense. The Air's screen does seem nicer than the iPad 3's, but it's hard to put a finger on why. Fewer reflections, maybe?

I think I read somewhere that the glass on the screen is thinner, making the display closer to the surface. That may be it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My Best Skins Ever glossy front already seems better. The moire-y rainbow murkiness is gone except for where there are still bubbles. Speaking of, the instructions say bubbles will naturally disappear. I'm wondering though. There are tons. I can't massage them out, either. These really disappear??

[edit]

So far the Matte Back when on like a champ. Looks amazing already.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You mean tiny bubbles that look kind of like foam? Yeah, they'll go away in a couple of days.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lexicon posted:

I actually ordered mine online. $10 and free shipping. I guess I had to create a free T-Mobile.com account but that's about it. No extra fees charged or any of that.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Skam posted:

I just got an air and i have a question about newsstand items auto downloading

I want it to auto download the paper as soon as its published, according to the newsstand app it is supposed to do this (its the evening standard for reference) - i have already told it to subscribe and have had the email from itunes telling me i am subscribed

Mainly because my ipad will be connected to wifi at work and then when i get on the train i was to be able to read the paper, however if i dont load the app in the daytime then it does not seem to be downloading the most recent one

You're not killing the app from the app switcher are you? Because that will prevent it from doing the background refresh.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You mean tiny bubbles that look kind of like foam? Yeah, they'll go away in a couple of days.

No I mean 1-2 cm bubbles that look like air trapped (some, sadly, with potential
Dust specks) that can't seem to be massaged out. :(

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I'm doing some shopping for my girlfriend and I was hoping I could get her something for her iPad, not the mini but one of the bigger ones. She already has a smart case and a carrying case for it so I was wondering if there was anything else that would be super cool or useful for an iPad? She hasn't downloaded a lot of apps either so maybe there was something I could get there.

NativeAlien
Feb 7, 2008
I gave my Air to my mom and picked up a Retina Mini from the Apple Store since it's the one I wanted from the very beginning.

It's kind of underwhelming after spending so much time win the Air, even though the screen has a significantly higher pixel density. Also, even though it weighs 0.25 lb less, it feels almost as heavy! Maybe because of the way the Air distributed the weight across a larger body.

Still am very pleased with it. I used to roll my eyes when I heard people say they could fit it in their pocket but holy poo poo I can fit this in my pocket. Going on flights with this should be a breeze.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

NativeAlien posted:

I gave my Air to my mom and picked up a Retina Mini from the Apple Store since it's the one I wanted from the very beginning.

It's kind of underwhelming after spending so much time win the Air, even though the screen has a significantly higher pixel density. Also, even though it weighs 0.25 lb less, it feels almost as heavy! Maybe because of the way the Air distributed the weight across a larger body.

Still am very pleased with it. I used to roll my eyes when I heard people say they could fit it in their pocket but holy poo poo I can fit this in my pocket. Going on flights with this should be a breeze.

I am so much on the fence between them it is not even funny. The main reason I want retina is because it fits literally perfect in my greatcoat pocket. The Air just seems nicer though.

NativeAlien
Feb 7, 2008

unlawfulsoup posted:

I am so much on the fence between them it is not even funny. The main reason I want retina is because it fits literally perfect in my greatcoat pocket. The Air just seems nicer though.

I went with the Mini ultimately because of it's portability. The Air was immensely portable for a tablet of its size, don't get me wrong. But having something that can fit in almost any pocket of my carry on luggage is going to be huge. Also, I already have my Macbook for when I want a bigger screen for mobile productivity and the smartphone for quick internet access, so I only wanted a device for those periods in between where I could lay back in bed or while traveling and look at a bigger screen than my HTC One.

I recommend going to the Apple Store and seeing and holding them both in person. The Air was definitely a nice device, but it's literally the exact same on the inside except the Mini is infinitesimally downclocked. The $100 price difference is substantial, too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Do you need to make a genius appointment to return an iPad? The iPad Air is amazing but man the retina mini is exactly what I wanted.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Do you need to make a genius appointment to return an iPad? The iPad Air is amazing but man the retina mini is exactly what I wanted.

You don't

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
So before I go in and embarrass myself:

You can go into an Apple Store (UK) within 14 days of buying the product and get a full refund?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

101 posted:

So before I go in and embarrass myself:

You can go into an Apple Store (UK) within 14 days of buying the product and get a full refund?

Yes. http://store.apple.com/uk/help/returns_refund

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Clevermuldoon posted:

I'm doing some shopping for my girlfriend and I was hoping I could get her something for her iPad, not the mini but one of the bigger ones. She already has a smart case and a carrying case for it so I was wondering if there was anything else that would be super cool or useful for an iPad? She hasn't downloaded a lot of apps either so maybe there was something I could get there.

For physical accessories, she's got the bases covered for the most part - she might enjoy a stylus, a Bluetooth speaker, or a Bluetooth keyboard, depending on how she uses her iPad. I can make specific recommendations if we narrow things down.

Same goes for apps. Games are usually a hit, but I'd need to know what kind of games she likes. I will suggest that if she has a 3G/4G iPad, you get an offline mapping app like CityMaps2Go - very, very useful when traveling.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not sure who (if anyone) cares, but my Switcheasy Canvas (Air) arrives today and I'd be happy to snap a thickness shot of it next to an iPad 3 in a Canvas and an iPad Mini in a Canvas.

Also will weigh in (heh) on added weight and the sensation that provides.

[edit]

Bummer, the front Best Skins Ever was a bust. Tons of air bubbles I couldn't massage out. (they wouldn't move.) Lots of dust specks (I mean, I get that this is my fault, but I did the same "controlled, steamy environment" I always do with my dry-apply skins. With it being wet and soapy, it was also hard to tell it had any dust issues, so I had to basically let it fully cure only to find out it was rife with them.

Oh well. At least the back has a neat matte skin on it.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 14, 2013

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Picked up a rocketfish clear back plastic cover and a black smart cover at lunch for the retina mini. Liking this combination so far.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Called apple trying to find out if it was too late to cancel my retina mini in favor of in store pickup (it was), and they refunded the price of my Smart Cover. :)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So I'm still on the fence about which model of the Air I should be purchasing. By the looks of this thread, I should be getting the Verizon Air, because I can use a T-Mobile SIM card or have Verizon service or even ATT?

I thought only ATT and T-Mobile are interchangeable, not Verizon.

I live in San Francisco if that matters any.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

obi_ant posted:

So I'm still on the fence about which model of the Air I should be purchasing. By the looks of this thread, I should be getting the Verizon Air, because I can use a T-Mobile SIM card or have Verizon service or even ATT?

Get the Verizon model as it supports all LTE and HSDPA bands (I think!). Well they all technically do and are all unlocked for whatever nano sim you throw in. It's just that you're buying the Verizon model in case you ever want to put that bad boy on Verizon.

In fact, it's the same thing I've done. I have the 200MB freebie T-Mobile sim going right now in a Verizon iPad Air.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie

averox posted:

In fact, it's the same thing I've done. I have the 200MB freebie T-Mobile sim going right now in a Verizon iPad Air.

Does it let you have LTE or just HSDPA?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Has anyone had a Verizon iPad Mini Retina ship yet?

dzarc posted:

Does it let you have LTE or just HSDPA?

LTE works.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Apple (and some Android OEMs) are using radios that support CDMA/EVDO, GSM/HSPA, and LTE in a variety of different frequencies. iPad Air, iPhone 5s, and retina iPad mini all support Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile across all their necessary bands. The iPads also support Sprint, but I don't think you can just pop a Sprint SIM into a different one and get Sprint service, even if you're a masochist and really wanted that. Previous versions of iPads required you to buy for the appropriate carrier. I've posted it before, but the Verizon model is the best one to get since you're guaranteed to get working Verizon service and AT&T and T-Mobile are both supported with the appropriate SIM, while getting a Verizon SIM to put in an AT&T or T-Mobile model is more difficult to do since Verizon doesn't offer those for arbitrary devices, I don't believe, though there's no reason it wouldn't work.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I'm not sure what the process is for buying a month of Verizon data service, but let's say I was away from a computer and only had my iPad and my T-Mobile and Verizon sims. Could I use my free T-Mobile service to login to the Verizon site and purchase a month of service, then swap in my Verizon sim and be good to go? Because that would be amazing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BeanBandit posted:

I'm not sure what the process is for buying a month of Verizon data service, but let's say I was away from a computer and only had my iPad and my T-Mobile and Verizon sims. Could I use my free T-Mobile service to login to the Verizon site and purchase a month of service, then swap in my Verizon sim and be good to go? Because that would be amazing.

You don't even need to do that. If you have the Verizon SIM in, you can do it right on the iPad.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Endless Mike posted:

You don't even need to do that. If you have the Verizon SIM in, you can do it right on the iPad.

Even better! I bought an LTE retina mini with the cellular connection being mostly a "just-in-case" feature, but I get the feeling I'll be using it more than anticipated.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Really the cellular connection is half of the magic.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
So I'm at an apple store trying to pick up my mini 4g model that I ordered for pickup online and they're saying they can't sell any 4g enabled models because their systems are down. What the gently caress?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Pissingintowind posted:

So I'm at an apple store trying to pick up my mini 4g model that I ordered for pickup online and they're saying they can't sell any 4g enabled models because their systems are down. What the gently caress?

Keep me updated man this is awesome stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Pissingintowind posted:

This is real – there has been a massive retail systems outage at Apple stores today according to the news.